Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Casserly was mentioned and for overseeing the jets front office.  Is he still out there? You may have not liked his drafts but he was always very good at trading with other teams and what the team needs were and to trade for help. He traded for 2 DL I believe Johnson and Koch for picks, a very weak spot going into the season.   We won our last SB because of trades like that. Replacement players for the strike year, super bowl, the Lachey trade.....  We need someone like him right now at this time. He would be my pick. No need to fire Ron let him walk if he wants too, nothing lost.  Casserly is the man to over see the change and not after the season. Let's keep what players we can and get comp for what we cannot.  Then hand over the keys to a new office staff and coach. 

12 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Casserly was mentioned and for overseeing the jets front office.  Is he still out there? You may have not liked his drafts but he was always very good at trading with other teams and what the team needs were and to trade for help. He traded for 2 DL I believe Johnson and Koch for picks, a very weak spot going into the season.   We won our last SB because of trades like that. Replacement players for the strike year, super bowl, the Lachey trade.....  We need someone like him right now at this time. He would be my pick. No need to fire Ron let him walk if he wants too, nothing lost.  Casserly is the man to over see the change and not after the season. Let's keep what players we can and get comp for what we cannot.  Then hand over the keys to a new office staff and coach. 

At first I cringed at the idea of bringing Casserly in in any capacity, but I guess as a short term advisor/consultant/overseer of sorts it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't want him actually hiring anyone but he could at least gauge good value for mid season trades.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

At first I cringed at the idea of bringing Casserly in in any capacity, but I guess as a short term advisor/consultant/overseer of sorts it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't want him actually hiring anyone but he could at least gauge good value for mid season trades.

They say he gave the HC the early rd picks? But he made the trades that kept the the team afloat after bad drafts. We had no right side of the DL starting the last SB season he made the trades to fix that, the only spot on the team with a big hole. He traded down and still got Champ Bailey......Perfect spot for him to come in.  Did he help the Jets? Just to over see the transition of the Team as consultant to the owners.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't usually quote myself. I feel like EB talking to EB, but this thought has me really really excited.

That would be incredible.

Why does a hire like Ian excite you (not being disingenuous)? Is it due to his communication skills or connections to draft picks and free agents, or simply the potential he brings?

I've always found it challenging to evaluate the value of front office personnel since they often support each other publicly, forming a sort of fraternity that seeks to maximize earnings while maintaining an average status.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to the Keim-Bram podcast.  Really pessimistic.  to combine their takes.

Running game isn't working -- they attributed it to blocking and scheme.  the holes aren't there.  It's a bottom feeder defense (which they find shocking) against a weak schedule so far.  Payne and Allen not having impact seasons like we are used to.  Hinting some discontent internally about play calling with Terry in that mix of people wondering about it.   All the hits that Howell has taken might be getting to him, where he's not the same player he was earlier this season.  

Keim talked about Gates inconsistency and wondered if its on the table that he's benched but also said they aren't benching Wylie.

As for trading deadline, their takes was Ron is unlikely wanting to do anything because it doesn't serve him.  Maybe Harris interjects and pushes it but they are skeptical (but don't know) that he does it because its not his style to interfere like that.   Keim seems confident that there is league interest but he's equally confident that there is no team that will offer a first for either edge rusher

I prefer that Ron doesn't make any decisions regarding the team's future. It's crucial to retain all our top-performing players and enable the upcoming leadership to utilize their skills in the desired direction. Harris should take the lead in ensuring that talent isn't mishandled.

Losing Sweat for just a 3rd round pick would be a significant loss. It's essential to re-sign Young and build the team's identity around his star power until an elite quarterback is found. 

Do you have a preference for a defensive or offensive coach for next season? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Losing Sweat for just a 3rd round pick would be a significant loss. It's essential to re-sign Young and build the team's identity around his star power until an elite quarterback is found. 

They have a lot of cap room next year so I don't expect them to sit out FA.  I presume at least one FA signing in that offing which would likely offset losing Chase or Sweat to FA.  In other words, good chance they get nothing in return if they let either hit FA. 

But even if they did, the third round comp pick is for a season after, so you wouldn't even beneift in 2024 -- and the late third round pick is close really being a 4th. 

My point is I'd rather get something than nothing.  I was on board with paying 4 big bucks if we had a dominating D line that take over games.  But this isn't a dominating D line that takes over games.  If this continues we will have a bottom tier defense in 2 of the last 3 seasons.  And that is with a regime that spent 5 out of their top 7 picks (1st and 2nd) on defense and have spent a ton in cap room too and are about to spend more.

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 7.39.44 AM.png

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Ben Johnson for HC-offense

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I was thinking teams who would look at Sweat or Young

Atl 

Bal

Det

Sf 

Seattle

Buffalo

Houston

Jacksonville 

KC

Pittsburgh 

They are all potential playoff teams who think they could win.

Another wildcard could be Chicago but they are not playoff team.

Edited by Redskins 2021

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

This fanbase loves retreads and bringing back old people.  We dont seem to love new, fresh energy and ideas.  

• Like 2

I read a rumor the the Raiders may also be looking to add an Edge after releasing Chandler Jones earlier this year. No idea how reputable this site is.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/10/raiders-eyeing-edge-rush-addition#google_vignette

Having moved on from Chandler Jones, the Raiders are without a projected starter amongst their edge rush contingent. The team is eyeing a replacement for at least the remainder of the season.

Jones was inactive throughout the beginning of the campaign as his off-field situation spiraled quickly. After the four-time Pro Bowler was arrested, though, Vegas made the expected move of releasing him. The Raiders still have Maxx Crosby in place as their pass-rushing anchor, but a new veteran presence would be welcomed. The team is eyeing a trade acquisition in that regard, Dianna Russini of The Athletic reports

Russini adds that Vegas has been active contacting teams for a potential addition, and that a player-for-player swap would be preferred. That comes as little surprise, as the 1-3 outfit would be well-suited to retain as much of its draft capital as possible. The Raiders might not be prepared to pay a signficant price in a rental move, Russini notes.

Crosby has posted a team-leading four sacks this year, but no other Raider has recorded more than one, and no other edge rusher has any. Collectively, Vegas’ total of seven ranks just 26th in the league, proving the need for reinforcements along the edge. Given the fact any move would likely involve a player on an expiring deal being acquired, a relatively small addition would likely be involved. A starting-caliber arrival would, on the other hand, allow first-round rookie Tyree Wilson to continue operating in a rotational role.

The No. 7 pick in April’s draft was originally ticketed for a part-time workload behind Crosby and Jones, but the latter’s departure altered those plans. Wilson has logged a 41% snap share through four games, and he has yet to register a sack or QB pressure. Providing a veteran insurance policy would be a welcomed move for his development, but it will be interesting to see how interested teams are with respect to moving on from a depth member of their own edge rush group.

The Raiders currently have just under $11MM in cap space, which puts them in better financial shape than most teams around the league. While their record would suggest a seller’s status, their interest in making at least one addition before the October 31 trade deadline will be an interesting story to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Bears would be a potential trade partner IMO.

Doubt it. They should be in tank mode.

But if they offered a 2nd I'd tell every other team they need to offer a 1st to beat it, because the Bears 2nd will be super high and essentially a 1st.

I wouldn't trade Young unless I got a 1st AND another premium pick or talented young player.

My guess is Marty is taking calls, probably more than a few, and the answer is "ok, make me your best offer.  If we lose on Sunday, we can play 'let's make a deal.'"  

Standing behind him with a tire iron raised is Magic Johnson with a phone to his ear talking to Josh.  

I think if we lose Sunday, high-noon for Ron surviving the season is against the Patriots.  Lose that one, and there's no reason not to start making changes for no other reason than getting a head start on the off-season. 

Unfortunately, the trade deadline is 4 days before that game.  

I think if they lose, there is at least 1, possibly 2 or 3 trades.  But I think they are all defensive guys.  I don't think they're going to want to make an already suspect offense more suspect because I do think they want to continue to try and murder, I mean develop Howell.  The most likely offensive player to move would be Logan Thomas.  But they're thin at TE already, so I doubt it happens.

I think it's Sweat and in a surprising move, Curl.  If somebody offered something better than a 6th for Fuller, I'd do that too. I like Fuller more than most, but he's on the wrong side of the age line and on an expiring contract.  

The absolute shocking move would be if they traded Allen, which they COULD, for a 1st+, it would be a big cap hit, but they could make the room if they also traded Sweat. I doubt this happens, but if I'm Allen, I might quietly request it.  Payne is not tradable in the first year of his extension, they can't clear enough cap room to make it happen.  

I would not trade Young.  I'd keep Young and Payne and build around that.  

I'm pretty sure somebody would be willing to give up a first for Allen.  Trade both Allen and Sweat for combination of 1st + 2nd + probably something else?  I'd do it.  Defense already stinks, it will continue to stink, and the entire unit needs to be blown up.  

I'd trade literally everybody on defense. Crap underperforming unit.  Stockpile picks and save against the cap, and they would have $90+ million + multiple 1st round picks for the new GM to re-build the team. Could be a pretty quick rebuild.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 3

Which pass-rusher is most likely to be dealt this week, Danielle Hunter or Chase Young?

Graziano: Young. I was going to say Hunter, but then the Vikings upset the 49ers on Monday night to improve to 3-4, and my sense of things is that this means they're not going to be sellers. They're two games out of first place in a division they won last year, and I don't think they're up for trading their best pass-rusher.

Young is a hot name right now, and teams have absolutely been calling the Commanders to see what they want to do with him. In Young and Montez Sweat, Washington has two edge rushers slated to be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year, and the presumption around the league is that the team can't or won't be able to keep and pay them both. (You can only franchise one player per year.) But under new ownership and with uncertainty surrounding head coach and chief organizational decision-maker Ron Rivera, the Commanders might not be in position to have decided what to do with Young yet. Heck, it's not out of the question they could trade Sweat instead, if the offers are better.

The reason I was going to say Hunter is because the Vikings were having serious conversations about trading him last offseason before they reworked his contract to get him into camp. They had multiple teams interested and at one point, according to sources, the Jaguars were believed to be on the verge of a deal to get him. That deal and all of their other Hunter conversations fell apart, and they threw him an extra $11.5 million to keep him happy.

He has performed well, but while the Vikings' season appeared a couple of weeks ago to be in bad shape and he might or might not be in their plans for next year, I think they're focused on staying in this thing. They have a $15.1 million dead-money cap charge for Hunter in 2024 whether he's on the team or not. He turns 29 on Sunday, and Minnesota looks like it might be a rebuilding project in 2024 and beyond. So if you can get something of value for him now, it kind of makes sense. But this is an example of why the NFL trade deadline is too early. Not enough teams are out of it yet.

Fowler: I'm leaning Hunter, Dan, though there are so many layers to this -- mainly, which player would garner the highest draft pick? There's no question both could net their respective team a high Day 2 pick. Would it take a first-rounder to pry either? Possibly. That was the going rate for Bradley Chubb last year, and Hunter is generally seen as a better pass-rusher than Chubb. Meanwhile, Young, coming off a strong rookie year, was considered a top-10 rusher in the league, on the Nick Bosa track to greatness. And what's scary is he's getting back to that mode, looking spry with five sacks in six games after an injury-riddled past two years.

With Hunter, there's a history of trade dialogue from the offseason, so interested teams can pick up where they left off, even though it's important to remember Minnesota hasn't been shopping him lately. It would probably take a sizable offer for the team to consider. But enough teams love his game that I could see an aggressive push. Washington has given the impression behind the scenes that it would like to keep Young, who still needs a full, healthy season to prove he's back to form. And after all, Young is cheaper and younger with more upside, right, Dan?

Graziano: Yes. To be clear: Young is the one of the two I'd prefer to trade for. He's only 24, and you only have to pay him $61,111.11 per game the rest of this year as opposed to the $643,555.55 per game you'd have to pay Hunter. If you're trading a valuable pick or picks for a player, you'd ideally like him to be more than a two- or three-month rental. And while both of these guys are free agents at the end of the year, the younger one is generally the player you'd feel better about committing to for the long term.

Anyone who acquires Hunter or Young knows they'll be confronted with a long-term contract decision at the end of the year, if not before. If I'm giving away high picks or players I like at the trade deadline, I'd prefer to be negotiating with an incoming player who has as much upside as possible.

Fowler: That's another layer to consider, Dan, because my sense after asking around is Young wants to play out this season regardless. Then, he's set up nicely for free agency or gets the franchise tag. I was told recently that games seven and eight were big for Washington's potential plans at the deadline. Had the Commanders beaten the Giants, they'd be sitting at 4-3 entering a crucial matchup with the Eagles. Now, if they lose to Philly, they will be sitting at 3-5 at the deadline, with the chance to inherit valuable draft capital to restock in 2024. It would become more tempting at that point.

Plus, the Vikings are already without Marcus Davenport at the edge rusher spot due to injury, so trading Hunter leaves the proverbial cupboard extremely bare. At least with Washington, the defensive line trio of Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne and Sweat could offset the loss of Young.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38725576/nfl-week-8-trade-deadline-fantasy-tips-upset-prediction-buzz

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

This fanbase loves retreads and bringing back old people.  We dont seem to love new, fresh energy and ideas.  

Not all, Some are against retreads including QB's, OL, LB, Wanted to give the draft a shot, and not sign retreads.  Want Howell to be the QB. Have not giving up on EB. Just seen enough of the OL with the retreads to know we need to find deferent player evaluators.  Bring on the new energy and Ideas, cannot wait.  But Casserly could maybe help the owners like the Jets?  That's IT. 

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think a lot of that is a result of really bad decisons by Snyder. The coaches that he brought in that didn't have name recognition were massive failures, while half of the ones that had it produced at least mediocre results.

....It's Jim Zorn's fault. There. I said it....but really more a lack of faith in the owner. Nobody that followed this team was gonna be excited about a "diamond in the rough" discovered by Dan, and for good reason.

Edited by SpacePenguin