Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

The fact that a mega 3 #1s trade to draft an athletic QB has happened TWICE on Shanahan's watch can't be a coincidence.  The Shanny family loves to be revisionist and whisper that it was the other guy and I really wanted to settle for cheap and available, but even as much as I HATE HATE HATE Snyder, the idea that he forced RG3 trade when Lobsterman had a contractual guarantee of full roster control is b.s.

Kyle was thinking he could work the same magic as RG3's rookie year with Lance, but this guy would actually be durable.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The fact that a mega 3 #1s trade to draft an athletic QB has happened TWICE on Shanahan's watch can't be a coincidence. 

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard they picked Lancelot.

I was thinking 'Damn, they did it again?!' 

giphy.gif

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Pretty good veteran offensive lineman Justin Pugh is almost finished recovering from his torn acl. He's a free agent. Hmmm...interesting.

I think he's already giving us the Dawand Jones treatment:

"Really looking to sign with one of those teams that’s in the top echelon. Playoff contention last year, has a chance to make a step this next year. And I can really come in and add value to that team.

“Not really looking for a rebuild where I have to come in and mentor a rookie quarterback. [I’m] looking for that team that’s missing a few pieces, needs some depth on the o-line. I know wherever I go, I’m going to end up starting. Offensive linemen don’t grow on trees.”

Source:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/08/ol-justin-pugh-cleared-for-drills-expected-to-take-visits

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

The fact that a mega 3 #1s trade to draft an athletic QB has happened TWICE on Shanahan's watch can't be a coincidence.  The Shanny family loves to be revisionist and whisper that it was the other guy and I really wanted to settle for cheap and available, but even as much as I HATE HATE HATE Snyder, the idea that he forced RG3 trade when Lobsterman had a contractual guarantee of full roster control is b.s.

Kyle was thinking he could work the same magic as RG3's rookie year with Lance, but this guy would actually be durable.

Difference is that RG3 was actually worth trading up for. He won a Heisman and was an incredible prospect and would have been #1 overall almost any other year, just happened to be available the same year as another mega prospect in Andrew Luck.

Lance threw like nine passes his final season and played DIV1-AA or whatever they call it nowadays.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

I think he's already giving us the Dawand Jones treatment:

"Really looking to sign with one of those teams that’s in the top echelon. Playoff contention last year, has a chance to make a step this next year. And I can really come in and add value to that team.

“Not really looking for a rebuild where I have to come in and mentor a rookie quarterback. [I’m] looking for that team that’s missing a few pieces, needs some depth on the o-line. I know wherever I go, I’m going to end up starting. Offensive linemen don’t grow on trees.”

Source:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/08/ol-justin-pugh-cleared-for-drills-expected-to-take-visits

Mentor a rookie QB? Dude you’re an average starting guard - just block someone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

RG3 had a pretty good rookie year.  We were ALL excited.  But stuff happens.  That's why you don't trade future 1st round picks....

The Chiefs traded a future 1st to draft Mahomes. Clearly that deal has worked out.  

The Bills traded 2 2nds to get Josh Allen. Not a first, but still quite a bit of fire power.  

The Bengals traded nothing to get Joe Burrow, they just sucked at the right time.

I think it's really difficult to draw a line in the sand and say "don't trade future firsts for a QB."

Hindsight being 20/20, should Ron have been more aggressive to trade up to get Fields? It would have cost more than the Bears gave up: They swapped 2021 firsts (Giants moved down 10 spots), and then gave up a 2022 First and Fourth.  Was that a good deal?  Maybe? 

With QBs, if you need a guy and you think you've got that guy, I don't have a problem being aggressive and getting them.  Ideally you limit the cost to 2 drafts: the one you are in, and the next one.  It's when that third draft comes into play you need to be REALLY sure.  And most of those deals haven't worked out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

RG3 had a pretty good rookie year.  We were ALL excited.  But stuff happens.  That's why you don't trade future 1st round picks....

I don't understand how someone could make that same mistake twice. There has to be more to the story than one man's ego. 

7 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I don't understand how someone could make that same mistake twice. There has to be more to the story than one man's ego. 

It probably wasn’t Shanahan’s mistake to make. Jon Lynch is the one who lobbied to trade up for Trey Lance.  Shanahan wanted to draft Mac Jones according to reports.  If they had drafted Mac Jones at their original draft position before trading up, they would be an even scarier team.  They would’ve kept those picks, and had a game manager adequate enough to get to and win a SB.

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

Mentor a rookie QB? Dude you’re an average starting guard - just block someone.

Any veteran player is going to prefer to sign with a contender, over a team that’s not in contention.  If Pugh had his choice between signing with a contender like the Chiefs, Bengals or Eagles (hypothetically) or this team, there’s no question he’d sign with a contending team.  Unless our offer is sweeter money wise, why would he come here to go 7-10 or 8-9?

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

So I saw that GB is having trade discussions with their  very good LT  David Bakhtiari. So I thought please be us, please be us. Naturally it's the Jets. A team who has been very proactive about getting better. This is the type of transaction that WE should be all over. However we are not 😡

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

So I saw that GB is having trade discussions with their  very good LT  David Bakhtiari. So I thought please be us, please be us. Naturally it's the Jets. A team who has been very proactive about getting better. This is the type of transaction that WE should be all over. However we are not 😡

Yeah, this FO is too passive for my interests.  That’s the kind of move that would shore up the left side of the OL, and improve this team’s chances of making the postseason.  I know Bakhtiari has had some injury issues the last few years, but he’s 10x better as an LT at his current state than Leno is.  This should be a no brainer.  We should run to the phone and dial the Packers, if they are serious about trading Bakhtiari.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yeah, this FO is too passive for my interests.  That’s the kind of move that would shore up the left side of the OL, and improve this team’s chances of making the postseason.  I know Bakhtiari has had some injury issues the last few years, but he’s 10x better as an LT at his current state than Leno is.  This should be a no brainer.  We should run to the phone and dial the Packers, if they are serious about trading Bakhtiari.

Would allow us to move Leno to RT, Wylie to RG. Completely changes the entire OL with one move.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

Any veteran player is going to prefer to sign with a contender, over a team that’s not in contention.  If Pugh had his choice between signing with a contender like the Chiefs, Bengals or Eagles (hypothetically) or this team, there’s no question he’d sign with a contending team.  Unless our offer is sweeter money wise, why would he come here to go 7-10 or 8-9?

Sure - don’t disagree with any of that. But none of that has anything to do with an average starting G ‘mentoring a young QB”.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

The "devil's advocate" view of this is keep all your draft capital for next year because who the hell knows who's going to be in charge, and you want to arm them with all the ammunition you can.  They are going to have a ton of cap space.  I wouldn't trade a 2024 draft pick for this years team at this point.  It's too late for that.  They made their bed, now lie in it.  They are trying to convince everybody the OL is going to be just fine.  So, prove it.  

If they prove it, they look like geniuses.  If they don't, then they look super stupid for not adequately addressing something literally everybody else saw as a huge need.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The "devil's advocate" view of this is keep all your draft capital for next year because who the hell knows who's going to be in charge, and you want to arm them with all the ammunition you can.  They are going to have a ton of cap space.  I wouldn't trade a 2024 draft pick for this years team at this point.  It's too late for that.  They made their bed, now lie in it.  They are trying to convince everybody the OL is going to be just fine.  So, prove it.  

If they prove it, they look like geniuses.  If they don't, then they look super stupid for not adequately addressing something literally everybody else saw as a huge need.  

Yeah, it’s not likely that we’d give up 2024 draft capital.  It would be a great move, if they did for DB.  They’re going to swim or sink with the current OL they have, and my suspicion is that they’ll most likely sink without any upgrades.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Too injury prone.  He's aging.  Why would GB be trading him when they have a young QB in Love to protect and want to evaluate him?  Sounds like GB wants a sucker to take on his contract to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Do the Jets actually even have any draft picks left?  Lol

What does it matter?  They e pushed all their chips to the middle of the table to win right now with Aaron Rodgers.  They might only have this year.  He might go to some sensory deprivation/ayahuasca retreat and never come back down the mountain. 

They should trade all picks and spend all the cap room, back load everything and prepare for a 1-2 year run and then blow it all up in the third year, and just accept they will have to offload everything and take massive cap hits that year. 

49ers lost to the Eagles because they ignored the 3rd best pass rush in history and now the league changed the rules for them.

Kyle has a good offense that doesn't emphasize the meed for a great QB, but it's too arrogent. Like saying BB didn't need Brady.

He'll tank another franchise with that BS if Purdy is **** this year.

Edited by Koolblue13

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

49ers lost to the Eagles because they ignored the 3rd best pass rush in history and now the league changed the rules for them.

Come on.  The 49ers were playing with their 4th string QB and then Purdy who couldn't throw the ball because of a separated shoulder.  They ran out of options at QB.  

That's at least a competitive game if they had a QB who could throw the ball. The game was 7-7 deep into the second quarter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kyle has a good offense that doesn't emphasize the meed for a great QB, but it's too arrogent. Like saying BB didn't need Brady.

He'll tank another franchise with that BS if Purdy is **** this year.

If Purdy faulters, they do still have Trey Lance (speaking of lost draft picks), Sam (SIPs hero) Darnold and Brandon Allen.

I am actually jealous they have Allen as their #4, he is much better than our #3 Fromm. Yeah I know not anything great but he can hold his own for a game or two.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

There must be another team with log jam of OL that will need to make tough decisions for cut downs. If the team is serious about protecting Howell after what they have recently witnessed, they should have their feelers out with thoughts of a trade or sitting until cut-downs. Proactively I'd be thinking trade if the team is in need of a perhaps a DB.

Also hopeful they are thinking about a LB come cut time and the Barton starts really showing up!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

There must be another team with log jam of OL that will need to make tough decisions for cut downs. If the team is serious about protecting Howell after what they have recently witnessed, they should have their feelers out with thoughts of a trade or sitting until cut-downs. Proactively I'd be thinking trade if the team is in need of a perhaps a DB.

Also hopeful they are thinking about a LB come cut time and the Barton starts really showing up!

Yep. I don't care if it's Bakhtiari or not. I just want us to show some ambition towards building a stout, effective, offensive line. Rivera, Mayhew, and company did it for the defensive line. Some could argue that an offensive line is even more pivotal. I love our qbs, rbs, and wrs. I like our TE's but none of that is relevant without atleast a pretty good oline. It's beyond frustrating. I hope and pray that they can gel and become a decent unit. They are definitely quicker, more athletic, and can get out and pull better than Norwell and Turner but then again so could Lizzo. I guess we'll get a better indicator on Monday night.

• Haha 1