Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Your Employer Have An Obligation To Tell You That A New Employee Has Murdered Someone?

No Nonsense

I was talking to a co-worker a couple of night ago. The conversation turned to one particular co-worker where she says “he actually murdered someone some years ago.” I said “Oh, was it self defense?” She says, “he caught his wife having sex. He told him to stop or leave two times and he wouldn’t and he shot him dead.” I kinda asked jokingly “how is he out?” She really didn’t have an answer. 

He’s been with us for about 5 years and I’ve never had any problems with him. But back to my original question. Should your employers share that type of info with their employees or is that confidential information? 

NOT LEGAL ANALYSIS:  If the person was convicted of murder, that is almost certainly publicly-available information.  I don't think the employer has an obligation to tell staff, and they may even get in trouble for breaching this person's privacy. 

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

No but I'd think (if you found out) it would be the appropriate time to reevaluate why you are working for a company that hires convicted murderers. 

If they are out, then they have paid their debt to society, been deemed by someone important that they are not a threat, and should be allowed to have a job and life and stuff.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I was talking to a co-worker a couple of night ago. The conversation turned to one particular co-worker where she says “he actually murdered someone some years ago.” I said “Oh, was it self defense?” She says, “he caught his wife having sex. He told him to stop or leave two times and he wouldn’t and he shot him dead.” I kinda asked jokingly “how is he out?” She really didn’t have an answer. 

He’s been with us for about 5 years and I’ve never had any problems with him. But back to my original question. Should your employers share that type of info with their employees or is that confidential information? 

In California it might be illegal. I know you can’t ask someone if they were convicted of a felony, so don’t ask don’t tell.

• Thumb up 1

That's kind of a tricky situation. I can certainly understand people at a job wanting to know if they're working with someone who's been convicted of a violent crime in the past. But at the same time, I think if a person does something bad and is punished, repays their debt to society, and has played it straight since then, they shouldn't automatically be subject to outcast treatment at work...which is undoubtedly what would happen if it were suddenly known by everyone what had happened in their past.

Also (and I don't mean to sound callous) it depends on the circumstances. In this case it sounds like it was basically a crime of passion. He caught his wife having sex with someone else and killed him. That's much different than a premeditated murderer or a rapist.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Only the stuff that you were caught for though...it's not like they would know about other stuff, right? 

Asking for a friend?  

-----

Remembering back around 1980 or so?  National Lampoon published a "People Magazine Parody".  

One of the headline strips across the top of the cover was "Scientists reveal why people fear murderers".  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In California it might be illegal. I know you can’t ask someone if they were convicted of a felony, so don’t ask don’t tell.

Only during the interview and on the job application. Employers can do background checks post interview. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 2

Speaking as a woman, in this particular case, he killed a man having sex with his wife. He could have walked away. He chose to kill someone who was defiling his "property". I have a problem with that. To me, the only time to kill is to prevent someone else from killing or self defense. 

For example, I caught my second long term GF in bed with someone else, they weren't having sex at that moment. We went onto our deck and I told her she had thirty days to move out. My house in my name only. Funnily enough we had talked about having a commitment ceremony for family and friends and I was going to put her on the deed. She really ****ed up and I'm forever grateful I found out before I did that. 

I then turned around and went to my now singular room. I resolved right then to never get married or ever add anyone to my property deeds or will. 

That's what you do, walk or tell them to walk. You don't kill them. 

I would want to know so I could make my own choice if I wanted to remain employed there. Someone who's served their time deserves to have a life. I get to decide where I want to work.

Edited to correct my first sentence so it makes sense to the original post. Thanks to Dan T.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

In my hypothetical that could never actually happen, no, worst thing you've ever done regardless of whether you were caught. 

I’m not sure I like that game. 

Though the deltas between people would be wild. 

“This is our new hire Pete, he once drove 15 miles over the speed limit. This our other new hire Bob, in one afternoon he killed a pedestrian after robbing a Wawa to cover the money owed to his crack dealer.Let’s welcome them both aboard!” 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Speaking as a woman, in this particular case, he killed a woman. He could have walked away. He chose to kill someone who was defiling his "property". I have a problem with that. To me, the only time to kill is to prevent someone else from killing or self defense. 

According to the original post, he killed the guy, not the wife.      FWIW.

Edited by Dan T.

6 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I know that part. He killed the other person because the guy was defiling his "property". And he had time to warn him twice before killing him. That means he had time to walk away. 

Just pointing out that your post said "in this particular case he killed a woman." 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1