Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible 8th team added for playoffs?

lavar1156

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh, come on.  I mean, I get it, I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs and that any given Sunday, a team can beat another team.  But after being eliminated, I don't want some backasswards way into the playoffs just to say we got in the playoffs.  If we did, it would be based on a technicality and that's just dumb.  

That said, the situation the league finds itself in is due to some very terrible and unprecedented circumstances so if they have to open up the playoffs to add an additional team just this once, I get it.  I really do.  And if it somehow happens to be us on the NFC side just to balance everything out, that's fine, too.  But I can't be happy about possibly having another shot at the playoffs due to what Hamlin suffered the other night.  If everything were right in the world, Hamlin doesn't suffer that tragedy and we're not considered for an 8th seed.

Overall dude, I like you and I know we've had some good back and forth on here over the years.  But I gotta say, you're a strange dude.  One minute, super sensitive, talking about vegetarianism, saving dogs, being kind towards everyone and then the next minute you post something like this.

This was a tragedy that, literally, no one in the NFL had seen before.  No one had seen a player on the field having to receive CPR in order to save his life.  I'm not sure how you'd expect any of the players on the field to continue playing after having witnessed that.  

I agree after reading your post and just thinking. I don't see the joy us in the playoffs because someone almost died or technically did die on the field. If somehow the NFL did this I will still root for the team.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He’s asking about if we win on Sunday against Dallas (regardless of your prediction on the outcome), then what would happen (if the nfl goes with the 8 seed playoff option). 

thats what he was asking 

I read an article that if the NFL does go this route the top two seed would get a bye. 8vs3, 7vs4, 6vs5.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I agree after reading your post and just thinking. I don't see the joy us in the playoffs because someone almost died or technically did die on the field. If somehow the NFL did this I will still root for the team.

Yeah. If (BIG “if”) the nfl does the 8 seed option, I wouldn’t be happy about the situation that LED to us getting it, but I’d still cheer for the team in the playoff game. (And I feel like most people would have the same mindset)

im kinda thinking it’s a pointless conversation in the end though. But we’ll see 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Overall dude, I like you and I know we've had some good back and forth on here over the years.  But I gotta say, you're a strange dude.  One minute, super sensitive, talking about vegetarianism, saving dogs, being kind towards everyone and then the next minute you post something like this.

@Koolblue13 is like the guy you see almost every day at the grocery store, that's polite, let's people go ahead of them if they have fewer items, says "good day, mate!" to everyone. Then, one day, he walks in wearing a bikini and poops on the floor in the deli section.

I'm here for it.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

@Koolblue13 is like the guy you see almost every day at the grocery store, that's polite, let's people go ahead of them if they have fewer items, says "good day, mate!" to everyone. Then, one day, he walks in wearing a bikini and poops on the floor in the deli section.

I'm here for it.

I tend to make an effort to be kind, not nice. I'm a total grump who is constantly cracking jokes in real life, so no I wouldn't do that.

Maybe it's from working in the restaurant business for so long. I've had a customer almost die during service and didn't miss a beat. Had a cook stroke out and need an ambulance and not miss a beat. The show must go on as they say. If that **** happened on the side lines, the game would have been played. I'm not on for optics I guess.

• Like 3

If this goes down and for the people that wanted to know. We need to beat Dallas and Seahawks has to lose. If the packers and lions tie we would have the same record as both of them. Lions would get 7th seed cause they beat us we would get 8th seed over the packers since we beat them. If the Seahawks tie idk what's happens. I think it's goes to NFC record I think. Anyways I know me typing on this topic is a waste of time but we will see.

42 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Maybe he means the game should have been finished another day...some jumping to conclusions up in here.

Are you ****ing kidding me right now?

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I tend to make an effort to be kind, not nice. I'm a total grump who is constantly cracking jokes in real life, so no I wouldn't do that.

Maybe it's from working in the restaurant business for so long. I've had a customer almost die during service and didn't miss a beat. Had a cook stroke out and need an ambulance and not miss a beat. The show must go on as they say. If that **** happened on the side lines, the game would have been played. I'm not on for optics I guess.

I am not diagnosing you.  I am not diagnosing you with psycopathy.  I am in no way, implied or otherwise, your clinician.

I am letting you know that what you just said was textbook psychopathic.

Psychopathy is not an inherently good or bad thing.  If someone made this observation of me, though, I would want them to tell me, so that is why I'm telling you.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Are you ****ing kidding me right now?

I am not diagnosing you.  I am not diagnosing you with psycopathy.  I am in no way, implied or otherwise, your clinician.

I am letting you know that what you just said was textbook psychopathic.

Psychopathy is not an inherently good or bad thing.  If someone made this observation of me, though, I would want them to tell me, so that is why I'm telling you.

You're not my shrink and I'm entitled to my opinion.

How about this thread get on topic and you hop off my back and back on your pedestal, champ. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

39 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I read an article that if the NFL does go this route the top two seed would get a bye. 8vs3, 7vs4, 6vs5.

That doesn’t make sense. You’d have three winners of those games, plus the two teams with a bye. That’s an odd number. Doesn’t work.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're not my shrink and I'm entitled to my opinion.

How about this thread get on topic and you hop off my back and back on your pedestal, champ. 

This was an observation, not a judgment.  Oftentimes people simply aren't told. This is akin to a person with physical medical knowledge that someone with a temperature of 102 has a fever.

I've been here a long time.  If I wanted to come at you, then there wouldn't be a hesitation.  You didn't say anything wrong or bad.  I'm letting you know a qualified fact.

Just now, NewCliche21 said:

This was an observation, not a judgment.  Oftentimes people simply aren't told. This is akin to a person with physical medical knowledge that someone with a temperature of 102 has a fever.

I've been here a long time.  If I wanted to come at you, then there wouldn't be a hesitation.  You didn't say anything wrong or bad.  I'm letting you know a qualified fact.

Your opinion is a fact, huh? 

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The Bills vs Bengals was between two teams already in the playoffs and the outcome revolved around seeding, possible first round bye.

And someone is proposing to add another playoff team to solve what problem exactly?

From my understanding on the PFT article I posted on the previous page, it would be to eliminate the 1 seed in the AFC, and that if the league chose that option, then an 8 seed on the NFC side would make it equal on both sides.

How about "John Madden"ing the suspended game, with selected players representing their teams?  It's probably more fair, than a simple coin-flip to determine the winner.  Besides playoff seeding implications, there might also be contractual performance clauses being affected by the results of the suspended game.  At least this way, they'd have some proxy performance numbers they could use.

Edited by Wyvern

25 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

That doesn’t make sense. You’d have three winners of those games, plus the two teams with a bye. That’s an odd number. Doesn’t work.

I misread the article.  I think it will have no byes for any team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh, come on.  I mean, I get it, I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs and that any given Sunday, a team can beat another team.  But after being eliminated, I don't want some backasswards way into the playoffs just to say we got in the playoffs.  If we did, it would be based on a technicality and that's just dumb.  

That said, the situation the league finds itself in is due to some very terrible and unprecedented circumstances so if they have to open up the playoffs to add an additional team just this once, I get it.  I really do.  And if it somehow happens to be us on the NFC side just to balance everything out, that's fine, too.  But I can't be happy about possibly having another shot at the playoffs due to what Hamlin suffered the other night.  If everything were right in the world, Hamlin doesn't suffer that tragedy and we're not considered for an 8th seed.

Come on, you know you'd love it. Sam Howell would be able flash what he's really got. He'd out-do Heinicke's Buccaneers drive with his own 108 yard, 34 minute drive to keep Brady from getting possession. He'd do a fake kneel right before clock runs out at halftime against the Vikings, and then fade to the Curtis Samuel in the corner of the endzone for a TD. Then he'd go to the Super Bowl against the Bills and do leap 3 feet higher than Josh Allen could reach with a trampoline.

Sam Howell would make Purdy cry his eyes out at how he could have come to DC and played for Scott Turner. Tuddy could be airdropped out of a restored B29 Superfortress for the halftime show and kick the singers off the stage so he can belt out "No time for losers" before dropping the mic.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 2

Let me give the reasons why this may make sense.

1 -Makes up for lost revenue via ESPN from monday night

2- Makes the TV happy (And they pay most of the money).

3- Makes the sponsors happy (And they pay the TV most of the money).  

4- Makes fans happy (For some teams, like us).

5- Makes players happy - 106 guys will get a extra paycheck

6 -Makes 2 owners happy - More playoff money

7 -NFL hates teams that tank. This sends a message to play every game to win regardless if you think you are out.

Sam Howell will be the one person who is EXTREMELY unhappy however.  

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Come on, you know you'd love it. Sam Howell would be able flash what he's really got. He'd out-do Heinicke's Buccaneers drive with his own 108 yard, 34 minute drive to keep Brady from getting possession. He'd do a fake kneel right before clock runs out at halftime against the Vikings, and then fade to the Curtis Samuel in the corner of the endzone for a TD. Then he'd go to the Super Bowl against the Bills and do leap 3 feet higher than Josh Allen could reach with a trampoline.

Sam Howell would make Purdy cry his eyes out at how he could have come to DC and played for Scott Turner.

Oh I'd watch it, for sure.  I'd just have a hard time feeling like this was a legit playoff team and that the circumstances that allowed us into the playoffs weren't at the expense of someone's health.  

I hope they'd give Howell the start, too.