Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible 8th team added for playoffs?

lavar1156

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I want the coaching staff to view the team and players as they actually are, and not try to fool themselves into thinking they're more than that based on dumb luck and tripping over ourselves into a last seed playoff spot that we don't deserve.

Everything you just described there is how fans view things, though lol…and fans usually consider themselves the judge of how things “actually are” with players and the team…so if/when the coach holds a different view it’s pretty much never “Well, maybe I don’t know as much as I think” and almost always “This coach is delusional!” lol…which usually translates to “why aren’t they seeing things the way I see them?”

Plus, it’s not how you get there that matters, it’s what you do once you’re there that counts. Half the teams in the playoffs are gonna lose their first game in the playoffs no matter how they got there. So hanging on to that regular season record once in the playoffs seems useless. 

36 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Theoretically, it’s easier to win at home with a stadium full of your fans than, say, traveling thousands of miles to an away stadium full of your opponent’s fans…that’s why teams care about winning the top seed in the playoffs, it’s not just to get a bye. Familiar surroundings, no jet lag, possible extra practice while your opponent is busy traveling… The top seed in the NFC gets that. The Top seed in the AFC does not.

It's true that NFC gets it among the NFC and AFC doesn't among the AFC, butt that's the point. All the AFC teams are on an even footing, and when the Super Bowl comes around, the AFC team will be on an even footing with the NFC. I can't think of anything more fair, even with an extra week to play an extra game.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

It's true that NFC gets it among the NFC and AFC doesn't among the AFC, butt that's the point. All the AFC teams are on an even footing, and when the Super Bowl comes around, the AFC team will be on an even footing with the NFC. I can't think of anything more fair, even with an extra week to play an extra game.

So then, if at the last minute, it was determined that the playoff seeding in the AFC were determined by drawing numbers out of a hat while the NFC seeding remained as-is, no big deal? lol...

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Everything you just described there is how fans view things, though lol…and fans usually consider themselves the judge of how things “actually are” with players and the team…so if/when the coach holds a different view it’s pretty much never “Well, maybe I don’t know as much as I think” and almost always “This coach is delusional!” lol…which usually translates to “why aren’t they seeing things the way I see them?”

Plus, it’s not how you get there that matters, it’s what you do once you’re there that counts. Half the teams in the playoffs are gonna lose their first game in the playoffs no matter how they got there. So hanging on to that regular season record once in the playoffs seems useless. 

I don't think fans should assume they know more than coaches, but I also don't think they should assume any sort of infallibility in coaches either. Coaches are just as susceptible to making mistakes and using faulty logic and emotion based judgements as anyone else.

As usual, I'm guessing the truth probably lies somewhere in the grey middle. The team isn't as dreadful as many fans think and isn't as good as the coaches might think or hope they are.

My point is that I don't want something the coaches can latch onto for some sort of faulty logic that can delude them into not seeing the holes in the team. IMO that's been an issue with us being mired in mediocrity for a long time. The coaches either keep thinking that the team really is just that close and hence go for patchwork solutions that never work out, or they see it as a career issue to try and get one or two more wins to keep their jobs.

When I say this isn't a playoff team, I mean it in a larger sense, not strictly literal. I think of a playoff team as a team that is good enough to be a perennial contender and pretty much always in the hunt, not just as any team that happens to slink into the playoffs on any given year.

So, if we happened to trip and fall into a last seed this season would we technically be a "playoff team"? Sure. But would we be a playoff team? No.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

So then, if at the last minute, it was determined that the playoff seeding in the AFC were determined by drawing numbers out of a hat while the NFC seeding remained as-is, no big deal? lol...

Yeah, pretty much. If you're gonna be the best, you gotta beat the best; even if they have a different seed number than what you hoped.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I don't think fans should assume they know more than coaches, but I also don't think they should assume any sort of infallibility in coaches either. Coaches are just as susceptible to making mistakes and using faulty logic and emotion based judgements as anyone else. As usual, I'm guessing the truth probably lies somewhere in the grey middle. The team isn't as dreadful as many fans think and isn't as good as the coaches might think or hope they are.

Completely agree there...but we both know that, for a too-large segment of all fan bases, talking like they know more than the coaches is part of the enjoyment of sports lol...as I suspect so is pinning your hopes to the idea that the coaches rarely make mistakes so there "must" be something valuable to John Beck, dammit, or else coach wouldn't have traded for him! Super Bowl!!!!1!1!

My point is that I don't want something the coaches can latch onto for some sort of faulty logic that can delude them into not seeing the holes in the team. IMO that's been an issue with us being mired in mediocrity for a long time. The coaches either keep thinking that the team really is just that close and hence go for patchwork solutions that never work out, or they see it as a career issue to try and get one or two more wins to keep their jobs.

This is where we differ...I don't think we've simply had a 20 year string of coaches deluding themselves about their roster, how good they are, how close they are, etc, etc...and i don't feel as if Rivera and company are gonna use "falling ass-backwards into the playoffs due to a Bills player almost dying" as some sort of "Ha! we ARE good afterall!" vindication. There will be just a ****load of film study, analysis, pro personnel scouting reports, and everything else involved in determining whether or not, for example, to let Eric Flowers and Moses go or to not extend Scherff. It won't be anything like thinking "welp, we made the playoffs...all's good!"

When I say this isn't a playoff team, I mean it in a larger sense, not strictly literal. I think of a playoff team as a team that is good enough to be a perennial contender and pretty much always in the hunt, not just as any team that happens to slink into the playoffs on any given year.

So, if we happened to trip and fall into a last seed this season would we technically be a "playoff team"? Sure. But would we be a playoff team? No.

Completely agree there, too 👍...but I can see a valid argument for saying "fix the OLine and QB, and this is legitimately a consistent contender". For a coach, that might be considered "close".

31 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Saying “hope it happens” is pretty pointless after it was literally answered last night by the NFL that they weren’t even considering adding an 8 seed. 

It's pretty funny, the Junkies were telling listeners this morning that the 8 team playoff was still under consideration...even though we both saw what the league said.

30 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Okay agree pointless , thanks for the news, what are they doing?

Likely a neutral site AFC championship game if either the Bills or Bengals make it that far (against the Chiefs). Also, if the Ravens beat the Bengals Sunday, a coin flip would determine where the Wild card round game would be held.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Do you think the players would feel that way? lol...cuz I'm having my doubts.

It doesn't matter what the players feel like. The goal is that no teams get an unfair advantage during the conference playoffs and that the NFC doesn't get an unfair advantage from an extra week of rest while the AFC catches up. The proposed plan achieves that.

29 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It doesn't matter what the players feel like. The goal is that no teams get an unfair advantage during the conference playoffs and that the NFC doesn't get an unfair advantage from an extra week of rest while the AFC catches up. The proposed plan achieves that.

The players would know better than fans whether or not that would be considered equal footing, though. Even players in the AFC might think having their seeding left up to random chance effects how they approach the game throughout the season. And the league already feels a certain way about teams not giving their all due to better draft slot...imagine if AFC teams stopped caring about wins after week 13 because having the best record doesn't mean anything anymore. Not to mention NFC teams having guys get injured because they DO have to win to get better seeding.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The players would know better than fans whether or not that would be considered equal footing, though. Even players in the AFC might think having their seeding left up to random chance effects how they approach the game throughout the season. And the league already feels a certain way about teams not giving their all due to better draft slot...imagine if AFC teams stopped caring about wins after week 13 because having the best record doesn't mean anything anymore.

But it doesn't affect how they approach the games throughout the season. It's affecting their approach to 1 game at the end of the season for one single year. You're acting like this is a permanent change to the NFL's playoffs plan.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, NewCliche21 said:

Are you ****ing kidding me right now

On 1/5/2023 at 3:02 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh, come on.  I mean, I get it, I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs and that any given Sunday, a team can beat another team.  But after being eliminated, I don't want some backasswards way into the playoffs just to say we got in the playoffs.  If we did, it would be based on a technicality and that's just dumb.  

That said, the situation the league finds itself in is due to some very terrible and unprecedented circumstances so if they have to open up the playoffs to add an additional team just this once, I get it.  I really do.  And if it somehow happens to be us on the NFC side just to balance everything out, that's fine, too.  But I can't be happy about possibly having another shot at the playoffs due to what Hamlin suffered the other night.  If everything were right in the world, Hamlin doesn't suffer that tragedy and we're not considered for an 8th seed.

Overall dude, I like you and I know we've had some good back and forth on here over the years.  But I gotta say, you're a strange dude.  One minute, super sensitive, talking about vegetarianism, saving dogs, being kind towards everyone and then the next minute you post something like this.

This was a tragedy that, literally, no one in the NFL had seen before.  No one had seen a player on the field having to receive CPR in order to save his life.  I'm not sure how you'd expect any of the players on the field to continue playing after having witnessed that.  

On 1/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, srtman04 said:

Holy **** dude,  never would have expected this from you......

On 1/5/2023 at 3:22 PM, ExoDus84 said:

@Koolblue13 is like the guy you see almost every day at the grocery store, that's polite, let's people go ahead of them if they have fewer items, says "good day, mate!" to everyone. Then, one day, he walks in wearing a bikini and poops on the floor in the deli section.

I'm here for it.

I hate to dredge this back up, but after having this conversation on FB I realized that it comes across as me not caring about Hamlins health and well being. 

I'm not sure how that parallel gets drawn and just want t set it straight that I do care about the player and am really happy that he's going to be okay.

I was never implying that I didn't care about the players health or safety. I didn't intend to come off cold about him.

• Thumb up 2