Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible 8th team added for playoffs?

lavar1156

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Come on guys @Koolblue13 isn't a friggin' psychopath, the preferred term is sociopath.😜

No, seriously, I think KB was just being brutally honest about his preference in a way that many of us would never do; simply because we lack the integrity to admit, either to ourselves or the general public, what we truly believe-- when doing so risks becoming a pariah.

I can respect any man fearless enough to stand alone on their own internal principles and knowingly swim against a fierce tide even when/if I disagree with their actual stance.

Like I said, the Bengals only agreed to delay the game that night because it would terrible if they made the Bills play. You can't deny that as a Bengal, that would be the perfect time to play the Bills. You can't play football if you're crying.

Ok, all kidding and emotions aside, the this decision ultimately hurts the Bengals (in my view). I think that since they also agreed to cancel the game out of the goodness of their heart, they shouldn't face any negative results. If negative results, from whatever decision the NFL decides, should land on either team, I think it should land on the Bills side. However, this is the AFC and my team is eliminated, so they can do whatever they want.

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He’s asking about if we win on Sunday against Dallas (regardless of your prediction on the outcome), then what would happen (if the nfl goes with the 8 seed playoff option). 

thats what he was asking 

Simple.. we win, Seahawks lose, we’d be in. This assumes no tie in Packers-Lions game. 

This would seem like asinine solution though. It makes a very SMALL amount of sense in AFC as a way to level playing field for the fortunate #1 seed (probably Chiefs). But it makes zero sense to do so in NFC and punish the (probably) Eagles for no reason. You can have 8 in AFC and 7 in NFC without screwing anything up. 

Am I “rooting” for it? Ha, sure, why not. But I can’t imagine it has any legs and I will fall out of my chair if that’s what they landed on. 

Go Rams!! 

Edited by kleese

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Just have the game not be played and count win % in the final standings. If the Chiefs end up 14-3, and if the Bengals play the Chiefs or Bills in the AFC Championship game, play it at a neutral site. 

I say don’t overthink it. This is an unprecedented situation and it’s obvious the NFL had little to no choice and no one is getting “screwed.” You only get screwed when there is a viable alternative (ie, the ref NOT calling illegal motion). 

I would just call it no contest, Bills and Bengals play 16 games, Chiefs likely get 1 seed, and you play playoffs as you would with no other changes. Yes, that really benefits KC, but once you start trying to level it, I think you make it worse. 

14 minutes ago, kleese said:

Simple.. we win, Seahawks lose, we’d be in. This assumes no tie in Packers-Lions game. 

This would seem like asinine solution though. It makes a very SMALL amount of sense in AFC as a way to level playing field for the fortunate #1 seed (probably Chiefs). But it makes zero sense to do so in NFC and punish the (probably) Eagles for no reason. You can have 8 in AFC and 7 in NFC without screwing anything up. 

If you did it for one side, wouldn't you have to do it for the other ?

Otherwise the two conferences would be playing under two different playoff formats.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

If you did it for one side, wouldn't you have to do it for the other ?

Otherwise the two conferences would be playing under two different playoff formats.

The only argument for it would be they wouldn’t want a scenario where the #1 in AFC would have to win three games to get to SB and the #1 NFC would only have to win one. The NFC playoffs themselves could go on without any scheduling hiccups even if AFC had 8 teams. The question on equity would be what I posed here. 

8 minutes ago, kleese said:

The only argument for it would be they wouldn’t want a scenario where the #1 in AFC would have to win three games to get to SB and the #1 NFC would only have to win one. ( Two, right ? )

Yes, exactly. You don't think that would be reason enough to have eight on each side ?

Edited by Spearfeather

5 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Yes, exactly. You don't think that would be reason enough to have eight on each side ?

I think at some point you have to choose the solution that causes the LEAST amount of damage. Forcing the #1 seed in AFC to play a game and not get the bye seems like a somewhat reasonable to make things even out a bit. But it would seem randomly involving/punishing the Eagles is a totally unnecessary step. 

Again, I can’t imagine this is being seriously considered AT ALL; however, there is 1% of me that wonders if maybe the NFL isn’t seeing an opportunity to go from 6 games on WC weekend to 8 and going “hmmmmm….”

• Thanks 1

Here's what you do. :) 

Hook up a Playstation or XBox to the jumbo trons in both the Bills & Bengals stadiums. 

The HCs will play each other online as their respective teams in Madden. Have them in the regular Coach's Box. Full 15 minute quarters so the Network can still broadcast it for the advertising money.

Gate admission: $5 - $10 for Club level, with proceeds going to Hamlin's charity &/or GoFundMe. 

They could the players doing photos & signings in the stadiums for pregame.

HCs can also have their DC & OC with them while playing to give the Network something to cut to as well.

You're welcome. :) 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Am I “rooting” for it? Ha, sure, why not. But I can’t imagine it has any legs and I will fall out of my chair if that’s what they landed on. 

Go Rams!! 

If we win and Seahawks lose we will be in automatically in. If the Packers and Lions tie we would have the same record as both of the Lions and Packers. Lions will get the 7th seed cause they beat us and we will get the 8th seed over the Packers since we beat them. If they didn't tie we would have the edge over the team that loses cause we have the same amount of wins but one less loss then them. Though I don't think the NFL will do the 8th seed now. It's Thursday night and I believe their is games on Saturday? I don't see them announcing this when we're at the end of the week now. Who knows it could happen but I believe someone posted earlier of a screenshot that Vincent the NFLPA head man had no knowledge of the NFL going to an 8th seed apparently when asked but that was from a guy that apparently watched the press conference. 

Edited by HogsVa7

55 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Not happening:

I just posted about sceniores but didn't see your post. At the end of the day with no 8th seed now and Mike Florio is nothing but a clickbait artist, I'm still going to watch to see how Howell does and hopefully he plays well and gives us some confidence going into the offseason.

9 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Not happening:

This ends up punishing two AFC teams that fought all season for home field advantage throughout the playoffs, while giving the top NFC team an advantage that the AFC team did not have.

But I don't see any "fair" way of resolving this...and it's too late in the week to be making changes that would effect this weekend's games. So go for the least disruptive, I guess.

3 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This ends up punishing two AFC teams that fought all season for home field advantage throughout the playoffs, while giving the top NFC team an advantage that the AFC team did not have.

But I don't see any "fair" way of resolving this...and it's too late in the week to be making changes that would effect this weekend's games. So go for the least disruptive, I guess.

I don't see it as a particular advantage to the NFC, they're playing in different sandboxes. The goal is that AFC teams compete against each other on an even footing, and that in the end, the AFC champion plays on an even footing with the NFC champion in the Super Bowl. When it comes time for the Super Bowl, neither team will have a significant advantage from having played fewer games.

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh, come on.  I mean, I get it, I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs and that any given Sunday, a team can beat another team.  But after being eliminated, I don't want some backasswards way into the playoffs just to say we got in the playoffs.  If we did, it would be based on a technicality and that's just dumb.  

That said, the situation the league finds itself in is due to some very terrible and unprecedented circumstances so if they have to open up the playoffs to add an additional team just this once, I get it.  I really do.  And if it somehow happens to be us on the NFC side just to balance everything out, that's fine, too.  But I can't be happy about possibly having another shot at the playoffs due to what Hamlin suffered the other night.  If everything were right in the world, Hamlin doesn't suffer that tragedy and we're not considered for an 8th seed.

Overall dude, I like you and I know we've had some good back and forth on here over the years.  But I gotta say, you're a strange dude.  One minute, super sensitive, talking about vegetarianism, saving dogs, being kind towards everyone and then the next minute you post something like this.

This was a tragedy that, literally, no one in the NFL had seen before.  No one had seen a player on the field having to receive CPR in order to save his life.  I'm not sure how you'd expect any of the players on the field to continue playing after having witnessed that.  

How would it affect Vegas and the betting books, Fantasy FT? The Bills/ Bengals game should never be finished or played.  Byes be awarded to Bills or Both? Bye or byes would have to include NFC too.  Stranger things have happened more money for top of the food chain? Maybe its Dan's proposal to steal the playoff game. Back to the real world right? 

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

How would it affect Vegas and the betting books, Fantasy FT? The Bills/ Bengals game should never be finished or played.  Byes be awarded to Bills or Both? Bye or byes would have to include NFC too.  Stranger things have happened more money for top of the food chain? Maybe its Dan's proposal to steal the playoff game. Back to the real world right? 

Don't know and don't care about vegas and fantasy, etc.  Don't gamble, stopped playing fantasy years ago.  I'm not trying to be mean when I say that looking at the angle/Fantasy football is, like, the least interesting thing of all.  Quite frankly, I'd rather read a dictionary than read about anything fantasy football related.

• Like 2

I don't care what kind of dumb fuzzy math could cause us to potentially fall backwards into the playoffs basically based on random factors and pure luck. I don't want this staff to be laboring under any false notions about this team.

This is not a playoff team and we have no business in the playoffs. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I don't see it as a particular advantage to the NFC, they're playing in different sandboxes. The goal is that AFC teams compete against each other on an even footing, and that in the end, the AFC champion plays on an even footing with the NFC champion in the Super Bowl. When it comes time for the Super Bowl, neither team will have a significant advantage from having played fewer games.

Theoretically, it’s easier to win at home with a stadium full of your fans than, say, traveling thousands of miles to an away stadium full of your opponent’s fans…that’s why teams care about winning the top seed in the playoffs, it’s not just to get a bye. Familiar surroundings, no jet lag, possible extra practice while your opponent is busy traveling… The top seed in the NFC gets that. The Top seed in the AFC does not.

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't care what kind of dumb fuzzy math could cause us to potentially fall backwards into the playoffs basically based on random factors and pure luck. I don't want this staff to be laboring under any false notions about this team.

This is not a playoff team and we have no business in the playoffs. 

So you want the coaching staff to view the team and players the exact same way the fans do? lol…

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

14 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

So you want the coaching staff to view the team and players the exact same way the fans do? lol…

I want the coaching staff to view the team and players as they actually are, and not try to fool themselves into thinking they're more than that based on dumb luck and tripping over ourselves into a last seed playoff spot that we don't deserve.

This team has some talent, but it's lacking in key areas, most notably QB. At this point basically the only way we can win games is if our running game clicks, our defense dominates, our QB doesn't screw up too much, and we get some lucky bounces in a low scoring game. That's it. We lose in pretty much every other scenario.

That's not a playoff team. It's a team with glaring holes that need to be realized for what they are and addressed. 

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don't know and don't care about vegas and fantasy, etc.  Don't gamble, stopped playing fantasy years ago.  I'm not trying to be mean when I say that looking at the angle/Fantasy football is, like, the least interesting thing of all.  Quite frankly, I'd rather read a dictionary than read about anything fantasy football related.

I do not think you are being mean. Just stating some of the problems with it. If it happens, it happens, I will say if we did beat the Cowboys ,I hope it works out this way, then we earned it? I had a 51point lead going with Burros and he had Allen in a money league, been playing 15 years, It brings up what now with a new game? But teams in other leagues with mutible players? Not a big deal for fantasy but big boy gambling ? Hope it happens not getting hopes up either way, may also mean another game for Howell.

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Like 1

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

I do not think you are being mean. Just stating some of the problems with it. If it happens, it happens, I will say if we did beat the Cowboys ,I hope it works out this way, then we earned it? I had a 51point lead going with Burros and he had Allen in a money, league been playing 15 years, It brings up what now with a new game? But teams in other leagues with mutible players? Not a big deal for fantasy but  big boy gambling ? Hope it happens not getting hopes up either way, may also mean another game for Howell.

Saying “hope it happens” is pretty pointless after it was literally answered last night by the NFL that they weren’t even considering adding an 8 seed.