Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

Yeah he seems to be able to get more done than McCarthy but I’m not convinced that’s his doing, but maybe just the establishment behind the scenes trying to get things done and at least lower the appearance of dysfunction 

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah he seems to be able to get more done than McCarthy but I’m not convinced that’s his doing, but maybe just the establishment behind the scenes trying to get things done and at least lower the appearance of dysfunction 

I've heard rumors he's being tutored by Mitch McConnell.

• Sad 1

Republicans in Congress are trying to reshape election maps by excluding noncitizens

A growing number of Republican lawmakers are making a renewed push for an unprecedented change to the country's election maps.

Their proposals call for excluding millions of non-U.S. citizens from the census results that determine each state's share of House seats and Electoral College votes.

In the current Congress, GOP lawmakers have filed at least a dozen measures related to using the next once-a-decade head count to tally how many noncitizens are living in the country, and then subtracting some or all of those U.S. residents from what are known as the congressional apportionment counts.

The 14th Amendment says those counts must include the "whole number of persons in each state."

Still, the Republican-controlled House is on track to hold a floor vote as early as next week on a bill that calls for leaving out "individuals who are not citizens of the United States."

Another proposal would change the Constitution to require citizens-only apportionment counts, though it has been stuck in the House Judiciary Committee for more than a year.

While these measures face long odds in this divided Congress — and would have to overcome constitutional questions and practical challenges — they are reviving a decades-long campaign to remake the population numbers that form the foundation of U.S. democracy.

Click on the link for the full article

That’s an interesting issue to me. On the surface I support it - if they can’t vote then I can accept they shouldn’t count towards appointment numbers. 

But then children can’t vote so they shouldn’t count either?

and the bigger issue as raskin points out - been doing it this way the whole time and no one’s ever challenged it so it sorta doesn’t work to suddenly all these years later say we weren’t going it right the whole

time …

Think how I feel as a female, born in Pennsylvania and a United States citizen, reading about the Christian Nationalists wanting to take away voting rights from females.  These Fascists need to vanish from the political party that touts them and stop ruining this country. 

Vote Blue!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

On 3/11/2024 at 10:59 PM, China said:

Save Our Signal! Politicians close in on votes needed to keep AM radio in every car

The signal might be fading, but it can’t be lost.

That’s the message from politicians who are closing in on the required number of votes needed to pass federal legislation that requires AM radios in every new car.

The prevalence of AM broadcast radio has dipped in recent decades as more listeners turn to options such as satellite radio and podcasts during drivetime. But a large, bipartisan group of lawmakers believes saving the AM dial is critical to public safety, especially in rural America, and they want to ensure access to it via car radios.

“The emergency alert system works on the AM spectrum - that’s where people get information about emergencies,” said independent Sen. Angus King of Maine. “It’s a critical source of information, particularly in rural areas that might not have clear access to an FM signal.”

King, and Republican Maine Sen. Susan Collins, are among dozens of lawmakers supporting the AM for Every Vehicle Act. Lawmakers first proposed the legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate last year, and it has gained a wave of new cosponsors in recent weeks. There are now enough cosponsors to pass the bill in the House, and the Senate is only a few sponsors away, federal records state.

AM radio law opposed by tech and auto industries is close to passing

A controversial bill that would require all new cars to be fitted with AM radios looks set to become a law in the near future. Yesterday, Senator Edward Markey (D-Mass) revealed that the "AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act" now has the support of 60 US Senators, as well as 246 co-sponsors in the House of Representatives, making its passage an almost sure thing. Should that happen, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration would be required to ensure that all new cars sold in the US had AM radios at no extra cost.

"Democrats and Republicans are tuning in to the millions of listeners, thousands of broadcasters, and countless emergency management officials who depend on AM radio in their vehicles. AM radio is a lifeline for people in every corner of the United States to get news, sports, and local updates in times of emergencies. Our commonsense bill makes sure this fundamental, essential tool doesn’t get lost on the dial. With a filibuster-proof supermajority in the Senate, Congress should quickly take it up and pass it," said Sen. Markey and his co-sponsor Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).

About 82 million people still listen to AM radio, according to the National Association of Broadcasters, which as you can imagine was rather pleased with the congressional support for its industry.

The reason there's even a bill in Congress to mandate AM radios in all new vehicles is that some automakers have begun to drop the option, particularly in electric vehicles. A big reason for that is electromagnetic interference from electric motors—rather than risk customer complaints from poor-quality audio, some automakers decided to remove it.

But it's not exclusively an EV issue; last year we learned the revised Ford Mustang coupe would also arrive sans AM radio, which Ford told us was because radio stations were modernizing "by offering Internet streaming through mobile apps, FM, digital and satellite radio options," and that it would continue to offer those other audio options in its vehicles.

In response to congressional questioning, eight automakers told a Senate committee that they were quitting AM: BMW, Ford, Mazda, Polestar, Rivian, Tesla, Volkswagen, and Volvo. This "undermined the Federal Emergency Management Agency's system for delivering critical public safety information to the public," said Sen. Markey's office last year, and AM radio's role as a platform for delivering emergency alerts to the public is given by supporters of the legislation as perhaps the key reason for its necessity.

• Thumb down 1

I don’t even remember the last time I listened to AM radio; which I only listened to for talk - sports or political.

You can now listen to those stations thru apps.

I only listen thru SiriusXm in my car for talk or music.

27 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I don’t even remember the last time I listened to AM radio; which I only listened to for talk - sports or political.

Out in the rural west AM radio is an important source.  There are a lot of cellular blind areas and the only other feed is satellite, which isn't local, till you get near a town.  Spent many years, working for the state of New Mexico, driving back roads in the middle of nowhere (literally) and AM was all there was.  I still miss ol Paul Harvey.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

Congress voted against funding a cure for cancer just to block a win for Biden

As a hospital doctor, I’ve gotten pretty good at delivering bad news. Still, it never gets any easier. It certainly was not easy the day I told my 53-year-old patient, a devoted father of two, that his stomach pains were not from gallstones as everyone had assumed. Whenever a doctor says “bad news,” our minds often jump to that terrible “C”-word we fear: cancer. Unfortunately for my patient, I diagnosed him with a deadly form of cancer: cholangiocarcinoma. Over the next year, I would watch him deteriorate as he was readmitted with complication after complication.

Cancer affects everyone in some way, shape or form. Whether personally or through a family member or friend, the stress and heartbreak of a cancer diagnosis is immeasurable. Which is why I was so surprised when I read that Congress would not be renewing investments in the “Cancer Moonshot” initiative dedicated to curing cancer.

While there are many different forms of cancer and likely as many different research endeavors to treat them, the Moonshot program was the largest, organized effort by the U.S. government to find cures. Formed in 2016 by then-Vice President Joe Biden, after his own son was killed by brain cancer, the program has enjoyed bipartisan support and praise.

Initially funded in 2016 at $1.8 billion for seven years, with the aim to reduce cancer deaths by half by 2047, the program has made strides in expanding access to cancer detection screenings, especially to veterans, increased support for programs aimed at preventing cancer in the first place and provided funding to groundbreaking cancer cure research.

Biden's Cancer Moonshot initiative is Congress' latest partisan casualty

However, with the ever-present dysfunction of Congress, maybe predictably, the program has been stalled. Some Republicans, refusing to give Biden a “win,” voted against the renewal of funding.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-voted-against-funding-cure-090938329.html

• Thumb down 3

On 5/2/2024 at 11:17 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

I'm not trying to depend on an app in an emergency.

AM has wider range then FM as well.

• Thumb up 2

On 5/2/2024 at 11:49 AM, The 12th Commandment said:

Out in the rural west AM radio is an important source.  There are a lot of cellular blind areas and the only other feed is satellite, which isn't local, till you get near a town.  Spent many years, working for the state of New Mexico, driving back roads in the middle of nowhere (literally) and AM was all there was.  I still miss ol Paul Harvey.

My mother is from Raton.  Visited numerous times.  Was a shock that (at least at the time) mail was only delivered 2-3 times per week and you had to go over the mountains to places like Pueblo, CO for a hospital or anything fancy.

She was very happy to have escaped that life.  It was always an idyllic place to visit but an absolutely dead town with no prospects.

• Like 1