Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Happy/Symbolic Funeral Sunday at FedEx?

kleese

For those that have bantered with me over the years, you know my personal position: Dan Snyder and this 23 year run of misery did not "ruin" my fandom. I've remained as "all in" as I was in 1991. I have still enjoyed being a fan of the team over the past 23 years-- now, please note, I haven't always enjoyed the seasons, the players, the teams, etc. but I do still enjoy my fandom-- the rhythm of football season, the caring about wins and losses-- and I've embraced the rare (and fleeting) wins or moments. Even this year was very much "worth" investing for me-- watched the Eagles game at my parents house with my two oldest kids (my son is 11 now and really got into it this year). That was a fun night. The next week we drove to Houston and watched us beat the Texans-- fun trip/fun memories. Thanksgiving week was made better by our good play and being involved in the race-- we then had the thrilling end to the Falcons game. If nothing else, that was a very fun several week run culminating around the Thanksgiving holiday. Spent some good times with the kids enjoying those games and discussing playoff possibilities, etc. Obviously, the ensuing five weeks have been a slow ride to depression. A familiar feeling indeed. I had a bad feeling all week about Cleveland game and it came to fruition yesterday, And yes, it still hurt me. Quite a bit. Was looking forward to week 18 meaning something and was really hopeful to be involved in WC weekend-being involved is great. I am very bummed about the abrupt end to what looked fairly promising just one month ago. The SNF loss to Giants will likely be the one that always lingers from this year. 

I think for some, they view me being so invested over the years as equaling being some sort of apologist for Snyder. This is not the case. I've done my best to explain this; that I am able to separate my personal fandom from Snyder himself. Some don't get that. Which is fine. I don't begrudge anyone who has bailed or scaled back. Just a personal choice over the years for me. Snyder owes me nothing. I know who he is and what he's done. I've made the choice to squeeze what I can out of it year to year anyway. Always telling myself that maybe someday it will be even better for me if they do reach high highs again that I stuck it out. 

But make no mistake, I am THRILLED the end might be in sight for the Snyder era. A new owner guarantees nothing. He could be really bad too. But he won't be Snyder. And there will at least be renewed hope and energy that is REAL and not just make-up covering up the giant blemish. 

Normally, I'd cringe at the thought of the scene this Sunday. We are out, Dallas is in. FedEx will legit be 75% or more Dallas fans. It will be Jerry-World East. Probably equal to or greater than any takeover we've ever seen before. And I can't help but think back to September 1999. Snyder's first game as owner. I was a senior in college, watching from a house I rented with friends in Norman, OK. I remember it was a bright and sunny day. Took that 35-14 lead. Blew it. Aikman rips our hearts out in OT. I stormed off. Crushing loss- still the worst opening week loss we (or at least I) have ever suffered. A beautiful day at FedEx ruined. If we only knew.... I wasn't there that day of course, but I imagine it was a sellout, with probably 90% + Redskins fans. Fast forward 23 years... same place, same teams... but almost nothing else is recognizable. What took place in between has been the slow destruction and erosion of an org and fanbase. It has reached the level of hopelessness that it has because many came to realization that as long as Snyder remained, there can be no meaningful change. And we know he's not going anywhere, so therefore, there is no hope. 

But now there is. I won't celebrate until we hear the sale is going through. I will put nothing past him and put nothing past our luck-- maybe he is faking all along-- maybe something will happen that makes it fall through. No parade until it's done. But I do think it's over. I believe we will have a new owner this spring. It will not fix things overnight. Dallas fans will still take over FedEx in 2023.. but hopefully a new owner can renew hope to a level where we become "normal" at least again. And hopefully maybe even better than that. 

Sunday will be a mess; but maybe not quite as "sad" as in the past. Maybe it will feel more redemptive. Like today is the LAST day of THIS. 

Yesterday, as the game ended, I buried my face in my hat for a moment. I was bummed. Still am. I'd prefer to be playing for the playoffs Sunday. But at the same time I turned to my family and said "maybe today was the last painful loss under Snyder." And if it was, I guess it really wasn't a loss at all. 

• Like 11
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

51 minutes ago, kleese said:

Normally, I'd cringe at the thought of the scene this Sunday. We are out, Dallas is in. FedEx will legit be 75% or more Dallas fans. It will be Jerry-World East. Probably equal to or greater than any takeover we've ever seen before. And I can't help but think back to September 1999. Snyder's first game as owner. I was a senior in college, watching from a house I rented with friends in Norman, OK. I remember it was a bright and sunny day. Took that 35-14 lead. Blew it. Aikman rips our hearts out in OT. I stormed off. Crushing loss- still the worst opening week loss we (or at least I) have ever suffered. A beautiful day at FedEx ruined. If we only knew.... I wasn't there that day of course, but I imagine it was a sellout, with probably 90% + Redskins fans. Fast forward 23 years... same place, same teams... but almost nothing else is recognizable. What took place in between has been the slow destruction and erosion of an org and fanbase. It has reached the level of hopelessness that it has because many came to realization that as long as Snyder remained, there can be no meaningful change. And we know he's not going anywhere, so therefore, there is no hope.

Appreciate the post Ed, as I have throughout the years. Where was that Redskins-Texans history thread this year anyway?

We've debated this before, but my diminished enthusiasm is partially due to the Skins mediocrity and partially due to what I perceive as a decline in quality of the league. The roughing the passer calls are one example, but the lack of fundamentals are another. I was watching the game at a bar yesterday and I see Watson complete a pass for a first down to Cooper relatively close to the sideline with a defender closing in, and I'm thinking "crap, he got the first, but oh well" and turn my head away for a second. I look back and see Cooper scampering down the sideline toward the end zone and, yes, Cooper is a great athlete, but......how does that happen?

I was there at the 1999 game you mentioned, newly signed up for a 10-year contract in the club level. Missed a GWFG attempt at the end of regulation (or was it a botched hold, like the Tampa game in the playoffs), and then Troy to Rocket. But then we go on the four game streak, and then lose to Dallas again, and the reports are that Snyder reams Norv out in the locker room after the loss. And trashes a suite at Texas Stadium. Classy. The night of that playoff loss to Tampa, my mom and stepdad went to dinner at a Philly restaurant for their anniversary, and when the maitre d came to check on them, my stepdad informed him that my mom was upset because the Skins had lost, The maitre d tells them that Jeff Lurie had brought Snyder to the restaurant earlier that season, and the impression that Snyder made on the staff was less than favorable. An early indication of what this dude was all about. And this "oh, but he was young" BS. At 35, you should be a grown ass man who knows how to treat people.

But as for the present? I think the team is decent, but are like a lot of others searching for a QB solution, as there aren't many really good ones in the league. But the off-field organization just seems so stagnant, and so tied to the past. Only changing a few words to match the new fight song to HTTR and then rolling out this mascot to tie into the offensive line of 30-40 years ago is just insulting. And we only draw barely over 50K to a game with playoff implications. I went to the Tennessee game earlier this season, my first in four years. I appreciate the team not being too over the top during the in-game presentation, but the whole thing just felt so blah. A friend went yesterday, and his impression was the same as mine.

A fresh start is absolutely needed with a new owner.

• Like 2

As much as I want to see Sam Howell play this Sunday, the more I think about it - it’s unfair to him.  Not because our OL sucks and the season is lost.

It’s almost poetic that come the end of the season where we all believe Snyder’s reign of terror could be over, that “we finally have ourselves a quarterback” crapped the bed and put the nail in the seasons coffin, only to have a meaningless season finale at FedEx Field filled with Dallas fans revved up to potentially win the division and/or get lathered up for the playoffs.  I doubt Dan even shows up, he knows the scene all too well already.  

This is not a scene where Sam Howell should get his first professional start.  It honestly would be most fitting to start Wentz and let the bloodbath ensue, while all of us say one final goodbye to Dan’s team.

• Like 1

Even if it's going to be a rough game, Howell should start. It's time to put a lot of things to rest. Dan will be the biggest, but sweeping out the entire QB room will be another. New year, new QB, and hopefully a new owner. I don't think it'll be a new FO for at least another year, but if Ron wants to coach (I think he does), he needs to show he's not out of gas.

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

To be at Dan’s last game ever might be worth it. I would go.  

Do you dislike Simmsy or something? Trying to convince him to get to a meaningless game, surrounded by Cow fans while our Commanders get smacked around?

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

The NFL just announced the full schedule for Week 18.  Our game is at 4:25.  Expect it to be the feature game, since it means everything to the Cowboys with the #1 seed & NFCE title on the line.  Most of the country will get to see us embarrassed at home in front of 80% Cowboys fans, in what will be Dan Snyder’s last game as owner.  Can’t think of anything better to hate-watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Do you dislike Simmsy or something? Trying to convince him to get to a meaningless game, surrounded by Cow fans while our Commanders get smacked around?

The immediate experience would not be fun but in a decade he can look back and say hey I was at that idiot’s last game as owner. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Appreciate the post Ed, as I have throughout the years. Where was that Redskins-Texans history thread this year anyway?

We've debated this before, but my diminished enthusiasm is partially due to the Skins mediocrity and partially due to what I perceive as a decline in quality of the league. The roughing the passer calls are one example, but the lack of fundamentals are another. I was watching the game at a bar yesterday and I see Watson complete a pass for a first down to Cooper relatively close to the sideline with a defender closing in, and I'm thinking "crap, he got the first, but oh well" and turn my head away for a second. I look back and see Cooper scampering down the sideline toward the end zone and, yes, Cooper is a great athlete, but......how does that happen?

We've discussed this before, so if I've used this example already please forgive me-- but one of the nerdiest things I do is watch old games on youtube-- sucker for nostalgia. One thing that stands out is that we (the royal "we") probably adhere to a lot of revisionist history when it comes to football (and probably everything) of the past. Was watching some games this year and was reminded that I'd totally forgotten about the "QB in the grasp" rule they instituted in the 80's-- I think they did away or revised it several years later. But it was crazy. I would say the whistle was blowing WAY earlier than it does now-- the roughing calls weren't as sensitive, but they were blowing the whistle dead almost every time a defensive player touched the QB. And the refs were all really old, slow, and made some absolutely egregious calls-- significantly worse than what we see now. I've said this before-- I miss a lot of that stuff, just because I miss being a kid, that time in my life, a time in the country when technology hadn't take over, etc. I don't necessarily think the football was better. The QB play certainly wasn't. 

But to the greater point-- yes, absolutely-- an ownership change is now the only way the organization can truly get a fresh start. He's exhausted all other opportunities to re-engaged the fans. His 9 lives are all gone. I like to think that finally, deep down, perhaps persuaded by his wife and family, he realizes this too now. How can it be fun? I understand pride is powerful, especially for a guy like Dan-- but everyone has their limits. I believe he has to have reached his. There is no way out here for him. I bet his family is telling him as much finally. 

Unlike many, I honestly harbor no ill will towards him. I know he is a terrible football owner. He also seems like a bad guy. But in the end, I don't KNOW that-- and I don't care to either. I never cared what kind of person JKC was either-- I imagine he had quite a fair share of enemies as well and based on some stories, his "style" wouldn't exactly play well today. But he was a good owner and knew how to handle an org and that's all that ever mattered to me. When Dan goes, I don't care what happens to him. I don't wish harm on him. He can sail off with his $7B. He will be gone. I will still be here. That's what matters to me. 

**Side note** My lack of posting the history stuff (and just in general) has much more to do with life in general than any sort of lack of interest/energy. My kids are 13, 11, and 6 now-- busy slate to say the least. I am also on Twitter quite a bit now for updates and such so I check ES less often for news. 

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

The NFL just announced the full schedule for Week 18.  Our game is at 4:25.  Expect it to be the feature game, since it means everything to the Cowboys with the #1 seed & NFCE title on the line.  Most of the country will get to see us embarrassed at home in front of 80% Cowboys fans, in what will be Dan Snyder’s last game as owner.  Can’t think of anything better to hate-watch.

I imagine by halftime, the game will be pretty meaningless for Dallas too. Giants have to beat Philly in order for it to matter. Eagles are FOURTEEN point favorites at home. Game means nothing to Giants. Yes, Dallas will probably go through the motions of taking the game seriously as they'd be stupid to not at least prepare for the game like it really matters-- just in case. But my bet is by halftime-ish, everything is more or less decided and the funeral can commence. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kleese said:

I imagine by halftime, the game will be pretty meaningless for Dallas too. Giants have to beat Philly in order for it to matter. Eagles are FOURTEEN point favorites at home. Game means nothing to Giants. Yes, Dallas will probably go through the motions of taking the game seriously as they'd be stupid to not at least prepare for the game like it really matters-- just in case. But my bet is by halftime-ish, everything is more or less decided and the funeral can commence. 

According to Pro Football Reference, we were 9 point favorites against the Giants heading into that infamous 2016 finale where NY had nothing to play for.  Of course, I don't know if John Mara harbors the same level of animosity towards the Eagles as he and his father appeared to have toward the Redskins, so who knows what edicts come from up high as to who they direct the coaches to play.

I thought Minshew played well enough against the Cowboys that the Eagles would take care of business yesterday, but alas.  Any update on Hurts?  I would imagine the thinking is that he goes on Sunday. I don't think the Eagles would be 14 point faves if Vegas thought Minshew was the starter again,

On 1/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, @DCGoldPants said:

For those who already paid. If the weather isn't too terrible. Go, tailgate. Just don't go in to the Stadium. Have a New Orleans style Jazz funeral around the Stadium with music and dancing during the game. 

Mad respect if you can do that.

NewOrleansDeathAroundWorld.jpg

You must've read mine and Mrs.Skinsfans minds.

That is exactly what we're doing.  Well, except for the wake...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The news of Snyder selling the team did somewhat soften the blow of another 7 win season.  It offered some light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel still runs through the horizon.  The offseason is going to be full of intrigue and mystery for the first 2-3 months, assuming the new ownership timeline holds true and it happens around March.

• Like 1

My rankings on what would have made this a successful season is short:

1. Super Bowl.

2. Dan Snyder Selling the team.

3. Deep Playoff run.

I'd love 106.7 to do something, but that station never does anything but **** and eat.

Edited by Riggo#44

Who knows? Perhaps the stadium will be packed with us good guys there to celebrate the end of Dan. Last weeks cheers of "Heinicke" replaced with a stadium full of "nahnanahna Good Bye" or some other jeer NSFES

Edited by bowhunter
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The news of Snyder selling the team did somewhat soften the blow of another 7 win season.  It offered some light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel still runs through the horizon.  The offseason is going to be full of intrigue and mystery for the first 2-3 months, assuming the new ownership timeline holds true and it happens around March.

Yep, I was pained by the loss and end of the season because I was enjoying the week to week this year and was looking forward to possible playoffs. But this will be an easy year to smoothly transition to the off-season. I am sure the news/rumors will start early and there will be something coming to light almost daily. I think it’s likely we see almost no actual movement in terms of staff or personnel which might be a little frustrating, but it will be for a good reason. And yes, if/when it gets finalized, it will be a celebratory atmosphere and I imagine all kinds of stuff will start happening almost immediately. 

Unfortunately Dan likely won't even be in attendance (he is still across the pond right?)... So the stadium will likely have more cowboy than commander fans AND Jerry will be there while the owner of this team won't be.    Really looking forward to the day this franchise has a new owner, new stadium and hopefully a completely new experience.

2 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Unfortunately Dan likely won't even be in attendance (he is still across the pond right?)... So the stadium will likely have more cowboy than commander fans AND Jerry will be there while the owner of this team won't be.    Really looking forward to the day this franchise has a new owner, new stadium and hopefully a completely new experience.

I am sure he will not be there. Probably a good thing though. Likely he means he’s mentally checked out as well as physically. There is no way for me to know this, but my gut tells me he doesn’t have any fight left in him as far as retaining the team goes. My guess is whatever level of “fun” he was still having is long gone now. Small part of me worries maybe he’s just laying super low with the infection to try and emerge again when things have quieted down, but I think we are past that point and I think he (and his family) know it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never really “see” him again. I would imagine the whispers and rumors will start swirling right after the season ends this weekend. 

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Pez says Dan and Tanya were at FedEx on Sunday.

But who cares about "seeing" the coward? When was the last time the guy gave a meaningful interview? During the Shanny era?

I remember Ed Werder did an in-depth story on our off-season spending/plans during the summer of 2000 that ran on ESPN. I believe Snyder was featured prominently in it. I can remember scarcely few other “sit down” type interviews with him over the years. My only real recollections have been the required pressers for coach hirings, etc.