Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Brittney Griner freed in prisoner swap

Cooked Crack

Yea, Britney Griner is very niche "famous."  She's famous like Joey Chestnut is famous, people have to pay attention to a specific thing to know much about them.  What she has going for her is that her professional community includes VERY famous people with huge platforms.  

I don't think she's "rich."  How much can a WNBA player make?

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

Quick search says net worth ~5 million, salary just over 100k/year

shes at the top of the middle/bottom of the top, if those numbers are right. 

but she’s very popular. She was popular in college. It’s a black female athlete who is gay. She has more reach that the other guy, more name recognition, and clearly is attached to a huge platform (sports and nba/wnba) 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

It was a THC vape and she wasn't in the USA. People can get emotional over this but the fact is she went into a foreign country knowing the laws and got caught. Everyone is acting like she was in Nebraska. Glad she is home.....maybe a little humility on her part is in order. Won't happen though I'm sure her idiot agent will have her on talk shows and a book by next week. 

No one is acting like she was in Nebraska.

She has been owned up to this, you are behind and throwing unnecessary darts right now.

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Biden can't ask state AG's to do ****. He can get a law through congress to make the federal side go away which he needs to do first. Can't make a State legalize weed. The citizens of that state have to do that by voting.

We are really past that right now because of the impact federal law around decriminalization would have on state level laws.  Many states don't want to try and circumvent federal law, many are showing they've lost patience waiting for end to Schedule 1 status.

But he has every right to encourage State AGs to do what he did commuting sentences for possession charges because of the level of hyprocicy right now concerning states that double down punishing for it while others are rolling in tax revenue for people selling it. 

Bills being pushed through during lame duck seem targeted towards banking for marijauana businesses for states that have legalized recreational while folks still will sit in jail for selling as well, it's not moving fast enough, honestly. 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I'm not pissed at her. She didn't ask for any of this attention. I suppose she could have known better about the rules in Russia, but I would also assume many of us would or could have made a similar mistake. 

Dunno if it’s already been said but she plays in Russia so that’s not a good excuse. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, Britney Griner is very niche "famous."  She's famous like Joey Chestnut is famous, people have to pay attention to a specific thing to know much about them.  What she has going for her is that her professional community includes VERY famous people with huge platforms.  

Did you just equate a WNBA player to a competitive eater?  As if there's anything relatable between the two?  And there's TWO T's in BRITTNEY.  Get it right.  This is a great basketball player, not a washed up pop singer who's poster you had hanging above your bed.  And then you start dragging pay inequality into the mix?  

I'm mortified, PB.  Absolutely mortified.  I thought you were better than that.  

And I love you for it.  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Dunno if it’s already been said but she plays in Russia so that’s not a good excuse. 

Yea, while she wasn't on vacation, she works there, so not knowing the rules on that and risk she was taking I can't give her pass on.

44 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Certainly in your opinion. The great thing about Western nations is there’s no obligatory nationalism. 

Correct, which is exactly why I said she has a right to do what you propose ("kneel for the anthem wearing a Kaepernik jersey").

There's also no obligatory tipping in American restaurants. But stiffing a server who worked hard for you, even if the dinner wasn't perfect, still makes you an ungrateful a-hole, regardless of what your cause or gripe is.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Did you just equate a WNBA player to a competitive eater?  As if there's anything relatable between the two? 

Yes, they are both professional athletes in niche sports.

Do not even think about arguing that competitive eating is not a sport.  

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Correct, which is exactly why I said she has a right to do what you propose ("kneel for the anthem wearing a Kaepernik jersey").

There's also no obligatory tipping in American restaurants. But stiffing a server who worked hard for you, even if the dinner wasn't perfect, still makes you an ungrateful a-hole, regardless of what your cause or gripe is.

You wouldn’t tip if the server slapped your grandmother across the face a few times and called it self defense, nor would you tip if the server told you that the entire menu is available for the rest of the of the guests but only a third of the items on the menu are available to you. 

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea, while she wasn't on vacation, she works there, so not knowing the rules on that and risk she was taking I can't give her pass on.

I don't want my opinion to get too twisted here. I'm not trying to defend her too adamantly...certainly she should understand the risks she's taking just like any adult and take personal accountability. The rules are the rules wherever we choose to travel and we need to understand and respect them...I'd tell my own 13- and 15-year old children that. All I'm saying is that I'm sure we've all made similarly careless choices with disproportionately less severe outcomes. 

And, in the end, my annoyance over this entire situation was never with her...but more with the whole circus it turned into around her. I don't really know much about Griner, to be honest. 

• Like 2

This doesn't need to be something that Biden administration is commended or chastised for. She broke the law in that country, but it's likely that she had a target on her back because of who she is. I don't like the idea that Russia can just kidnap American citizens for minor transgressions for political reasons. 

Diplomacy is messy though. It's like keeping peace at the Thanksgiving table with your drunk QAnon uncle when Russia is involved.  

• Haha 1

Yes weed is illegal in Russia; yea I believe she actually had the weed, ya she should have known better, yeah she deserved to face some punishment, yea 9 years is excessive, yah we shouldn’t condone inhumane sentences for any crime for anyone anywhere.

There was no better deal to be had because Russia doesn’t really value the victor dude that much….

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

I feel for her family. Don’t really feel sympathy for her.

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree. 

All of the following are true:

• I am very happy she is home
  • I am very frustrated that she put our nation into this position
  • I believe it is our government's job to work this hard to bring all US citizens in similar states home
  • If it were me or my loved one, I would want them to move mountains to bring me home
  • I am very frustrated by the fact that we had to release a serious criminal
  • I am still happy that our leaders managed to bring a US citizen home
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

No one is acting like she was in Nebraska.

She has been owned up to this, you are behind and throwing unnecessary darts right now.

We are really past that right now because of the impact federal law around decriminalization would have on state level laws.  Many states don't want to try and circumvent federal law, many are showing they've lost patience waiting for end to Schedule 1 status.

But he has every right to encourage State AGs to do what he did commuting sentences for possession charges because of the level of hyprocicy right now concerning states that double down punishing for it while others are rolling in tax revenue for people selling it. 

Bills being pushed through during lame duck seem targeted towards banking for marijauana businesses for states that have legalized recreational while folks still will sit in jail for selling as well, it's not moving fast enough, honestly. 

Im not throwing darts, people on this thread are acting like this isnt a big deal, and how dare they send her to prison for a simple drug charge. My point was Russia is much different than the USA. Hence the Nebraska statement....nmind.

Have to be careful about how we categorize possesion charges. As long as we dont start letting out people that are on their 20th conviction of plea bargain possession charges. Meaning they had a more serious charge and pled down to simple posession. That is my opinion though. 

Human society is ****ed. She was sent to legit Russian prison for possession of a couple of vape carts. Oh the horror. She might get high n eat a cheeseburger then be refreshed for her next game and possibly win a fourth Russian Basketball Championship. 

Meanwhile the crooked ass Russian government uses it as an excuse to get an actual criminal released in an exchange. **** them and **** everything about them. 

Oh and Joey Chestnut is probably more famous. My nephews totally know who he is n they barely know who LeBron is let alone Brittney Griner. Ugh another sign of how ****ed we are as a society. 🤣

16 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Human society is ****ed. She was sent to legit Russian prison for possession of a couple of vape carts. Oh the horror. She might get high n eat a cheeseburger then be refreshed for her next game and possibly win a fourth Russian Basketball Championship. 

Meanwhile the crooked ass Russian government uses it as an excuse to get an actual criminal released in an exchange. **** them and **** everything about them. 

Oh and Joey Chestnut is probably more famous. My nephews totally know who he is n they barely know who LeBron is let alone Brittney Griner. Ugh another sign of how ****ed we are as a society. 🤣

These were never legitimate charges with a legitimate punishment.  Griner just happened to be the person to get railroaded by the Russians who knew they were going to need someone to leverage just ahead of their planned invasion of a sovereign country (or just generally because Russia is a rogue state).  If it wasn't her, the Russians would have found another American to imprison on trumped up charges.  The Russian "legal process" has zero legitimacy. 

I've refrained from saying so, but the entire right-wing stance that she isn't worth exchanging the arms dealer guy for is bull****.  She is an American.  She just isn't a "real American" for the MAGA crowd because she's a gay black woman and therefore has no intrinsic value to them.  Fox News was practically giddy when she got arrested, and that is disgusting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

You wouldn’t tip if the server slapped your grandmother across the face a few times and called it self defense, nor would you tip if the server told you that the entire menu is available for the rest of the of the guests but only a third of the items on the menu are available to you. 

No, I'd just go eat at another restaurant, there's lots of them out there, especially for a pro athlete like Griner who has the money and job opportunities a lot of us don't  Actually, she did try dining at another restaurant, didn't work out too well for her.

And please give me one example of how Griner has access to only "a third" of America's menu options, compared to say, Paul Whelan.

9 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

No, I'd just go eat at another restaurant, there's lots of them out there, especially for a pro athlete like Griner who has the money and job opportunities a lot of us don't  Actually, she did try dining at another restaurant, didn't work out too well for her.

And please give me one example of how Griner has access to only "a third" of America's menu options, compared to say, Paul Whelan.

You think black athletes kneel strictly due to their own personal experiences? 

10 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

The United States received a professional athlete while Russia received an international arms dealer who had the intent of weaponizing the FARC to use against U.S. personnel operating in Columbia.

Worst comes to worst we’ll do what we do best. Covertly depose whoever’s in charge over there and install a violence prone ruler that has agreed to play ball! 👍