Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Brittney Griner freed in prisoner swap

Cooked Crack

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

These were never legitimate charges with a legitimate punishment.  Griner just happened to be the person to get railroaded by the Russians who knew they were going to need someone to leverage just ahead of their planned invasion of a sovereign country (or just generally because Russia is a rogue state).  If it wasn't her, the Russians would have found another American to imprison on trumped up charges.  The Russian "legal process" has zero legitimacy. 

I've refrained from saying so, but the entire right-wing stance that she isn't worth exchanging the arms dealer guy for is bull****.  She is an American.  She just isn't a "real American" for the MAGA crowd because she's a gay black woman and therefore has no intrinsic value to them.  Fox News was practically giddy when she got arrested, and that is disgusting.  

The question is what makes her so deserving of all the attention and political resources over Marc Fogel, a teacher who's been imprisoned by Russia for the same reason: Weed.  Is he less deserving because he isn't a star athlete in a league that nobody actually cares about?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The question is what makes her so deserving of all the attention and political resources over Marc Fogel, a teacher who's been imprisoned by Russia for the same reason: Weed.  Is he less deserving because he isn't a star athlete in a league that nobody actually cares about?

He’d packed 14 vape cartridges of medical marijuana into his suitcase, stuffing some in his shoes, and placed some cannabis buds in a contact lens case, his wife said. Jane said she had no idea he’d done it. But why take such a risk?

“It’s pretty simple,” his son Ethan said of his father’s plan to bring medical marijuana into Russia. “He thought he could get away with it.”

Old boy rolled up into Moscow like Snoop Dogg.  

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I mean, the answer is because Griner’s professional community has a huge platform. The US should make every effort to get that other person back too. 

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, Britney Griner is very niche "famous."  She's famous like Joey Chestnut is famous, people have to pay attention to a specific thing to know much about them.  What she has going for her is that her professional community includes VERY famous people with huge platforms.  

I don't think she's "rich."  How much can a WNBA player make?

Aaaaand that's why she was going to work in Russia. Quite frankly, I'm surprised any WNBA players worth anything play in this country because they just can't get paid here. Likewise, they should have their heads examined for playing for the US Olympic team, but I say that about NBA players as well.

Going back to the idea that she should have known better, that's certainly true. However, I haven't seen anyone in this thread so far point out that Whelan actually accepted a thumb drive from a Russian national. IMO if he wasn't in fact involved in espionage, which I think is somewhat likely, it was an even dumber thing to do.

"Da, is just veddink pictures comrade. Do not bother to look in folder marked secret."🙄

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thumb up 3

Whelan’s whole situation in Russia seems suspicious AF, but he’s just a red herring anyways. He has literally never been mentioned on this forum before this thread, Fox News just seized on him because they need someone to point to as more “worthy” than Griner (again, a gay black woman, a mishmash of their favorite villains).

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 4

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Whelan’s whole situation in Russia seems suspicious AF, but he’s just a red herring anyways. He has literally never been mentioned on this forum before this thread, Fox News just seized on him because they need someone to point to as more “worthy” than Griner (again, a gay black woman, a mishmash of their favorite villains).

When she was first arrested in the airport to come home to the US (if anyone has seen the video), she was compliant.  She has been all throughout.  She has owned her mistake, knew there were consequences, and she owned up to it.  I've followed everything I can, and I didn't intend to be mean to anyone here on ES...but like I said, I followed this because it really disturbed me (as per your post).  I knew a black lesbian would be treated more harshly, and I was concerned for her well-being.  

Edited by skinsmarydu
changed a word
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Fox News just seized on him because they need someone to point to as more “worthy” than Griner (again, a gay black woman, a mishmash of their favorite villains).

Multiple news outlets are reporting on the prisoner exchange and how this overwhelmingly favors Russia. I believe the reason for public backlash over this situation has more to do with the fact that she is an athlete and Paul Whelan is a US Marine and as a retired member of the US military, I am disgusted over the handling of this situation. Granted, Fox News is definitely a pro-military platform but to think this issue has more to do with race and sexual orientation is absurd.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Multiple news outlets are reporting on the prisoner exchange and how this overwhelmingly favors Russia. I believe the reason for public backlash over this situation has more to do with the fact that she is an athlete and Paul Whelan is a US Marine and as a retired member of the US military, I am disgusted over the handling of this situation. Granted, Fox News is definitely a pro-military platform but to think this issue has more to do with race and sexual orientation is absurd.

Paul Whelan was court marshalled and dishonorably discharged for “attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another’s social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment."  https://www.jag.navy.mil/courts/documents/archive/2008/WHELAN, P.N. 200800152 PCE.pdf

Let’s not act like he served his country with distinction, or even that he “retired.”  He got kicked out for being a bad person. 

Edit:  And the US should still make all efforts to get him back. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Paul Whelan was court marshalled and dishonorably discharged for “attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty

These alone get a service member dishonorably discharged.   

****, if I made it out Honorably, anyone can.   

Choices matter, no matter where. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

What's done is done, do you ________ want us to send her back or something?

No but you wonder why

Russia is in a bad place right now. Seems we shouldve been able to offer Dmitri on a coke charge in a NY jail if he was fighting age. We shouldve gotten more for that trade

19 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

At least we got her back alive....unlike the former guy who got Otto Warmbier back dead

Youre talking about North Korea. That guy died after he tried to souvenir a poster.

It sucks that its a team game with us, when were on the same team

Edited by dunfer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

At least we got her back alive....unlike the former guy who got Otto Warmbier back dead

This is a total dick statement.....you should be ashamed of yourself. 

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

These alone get a service member dishonorably discharged.   

****, if I made it out Honorably, anyone can.   

Choices matter, no matter where. 

Bad conduct, not dishonorable. Big difference...but you know that right. Kind of like domestic violence pled down to disorderly conduct right? Get it?

• Haha 4

On another note.....how many American Citizens are in prison in foeriegn countries for possession charges? How many have been executed for possession charges? How many just have to serve their sentence for breaking the law like the rest of the world. But hey...she got out because we gave up a useless mass murderer gun dealer. Shhhhh.. there is no defense for this.  Be happy and be quiet.

33 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

On another note.....how many American Citizens are in prison in foeriegn countries for possession charges? How many have been executed for possession charges? How many just have to serve their sentence for breaking the law like the rest of the world. But hey...she got out because we gave up a useless mass murderer gun dealer. Shhhhh.. there is no defense for this.  Be happy and be quiet.

To be fair, Biden did pardon prisoners on federal charges for marijuana possession.

Why was weland even in Russia for anyway?

@dunfer. @Redskins Reparations Why do you think Weland was on the table? I know you aren’t happy that Weland wasn’t released, but then I don’t think anyone, even the negotiators of this deal, is happy that Weland is still in Russia. But if Rusia isn’t willing to release Weland, what are we supposed to do? Nothing?

I could understand being a little upset at Biden choosing to release an entitled pot smoking millennial over a hardened patriot who served in the marines, but he didn’t make that choice. His choice was to release Weland or nothing. Are you advocating for nothing? You think that is better?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84