Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Demento Donny 45

88Comrade2000

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

True. But I also spend on orioles tickets what it cost to raise a kid per year. Yes I'm above median but I also spend way above median. The point wasn't that I'm doing great on so little. The point was that money is there for a lot of people, they just suck at being responsible. 

are you making the point that people struggling are just not responsible with money? 

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It's an interesting discussion, but I think the personal finance discussion is starting to veer from the thread topic at this point

Yea sorry. To get more back on topic, my point was more that a lot of people suck at personal finances. That's DOESN'T mean there aren't a lot of people genuinely struggling. But when compared to 4 years ago, there aren't many people struggling now that weren't then. But there ARE a lot of people doing far better whether they admit it or not. People struggling with housing costs were probably struggling with that for a few administration's now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

This is exact what I want to see, fake briefings with tractable lies. In actual real life personnel, those who acted as Trump did with the classified docs he had would never have a security clearance. It's called a security clearance for a reason: it's our nation's security that's at stake and he should be no where near anything classified ever again. So I'm fine if he's given nothing classified before the election, just stuff that's in the public domain. It cuts down on the chances he tries to intervene in our country's decisions during election season like he's interfering in the border issue. He had his chance to fix the border (outside of the ridiculous wall), he doesn't get any more chances.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yea sorry. To get more back on topic, my point was more that a lot of people suck at personal finances. That's DOESN'T mean there aren't a lot of people genuinely struggling. But when compared to 4 years ago, there aren't many people struggling now that weren't then. But there ARE a lot of people doing far better whether they admit it or not. People struggling with housing costs were probably struggling with that for a few administration's now. 

OK, this part I certainly agree with. Somehow I didn't get that angle from what you were saying before.

• Like 2

I work with economic numbers, and I repeatedly tell employees whom I supervise they need to recognize numbers only allow us to model the economy.  They are not the economy.  We lose sight of a lot of the experience of numbers because we think of them linearly.  The difference between 10 and 9 is the same as the difference between 2 and 1 or between 1 and 0,  Yet, when talking about how many meals a family of four can afford, the difference between those numbers is not remotely the same.

We experience things exponentially.  It is why sound and earth quakes are measured on exponential scales.  It is also why aboriginals in Australia say the mid point between 1 and 9 is 3 instead of 5.  The relationship between 1 and 3 is the same as the relationship between 3 and 9.  Thus 3 is the mid point when your mind doesn't stick to a strictly linear perspective. 

Edited by gbear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To the folks suggesting that our national security briefings contain lies that can be traced back, I'll point out that that only works if Trump remembers the briefing, and accurately passes it along. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

True. But I also spend on orioles tickets what it cost to raise a kid per year. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think last year we spent about $15k total. 

:rofl89:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I expect there’s likely significant regional variance in respect to spending to care for y’all’s delightful and endlessly charming crotchfruit (which I would rather you didn’t bring on my flight, btw).

And I also suspect the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast I-95 corridor is very, very much on the high side of those aforementioned variances.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 2

I think some of the polls showing a Biden bump are indicative of what will happen as more ads drop and more people are paying attention.  This doesn't happen until September, typically.  I know it shouldn't be cause for relief... but it is a cause of hope. 

I also see so many articles about Trump picking up black and hispanic voters in polling.  Paint me skeptical on that one.  

Democratic House member from NJ is introducing a bill for the protection of our classified information from those charged with specific crimes. I agree with this bill.

From the article and the link below that.

New Jersey Rep. Mikie Sherrill (D) has drafted legislation to bar federal officeholders and candidates who are charged with certain criminal offenses from having access to classified information, a bill aimed squarely at former President Trump and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.).

Sherrill’s three-page bill, the Guarding United States Against Reckless Disclosures (GUARD) Act, would bar the president, vice president, members of Congress and federal candidates from receiving classified information if charged with obstructing an official proceeding, unlawfully retaining classified defense information, or acting as a foreign agent, among other criminal offenses.

The legislation doesn’t explicitly refer to Menendez or Trump, but its language applies directly to both embattled politicians, who between them face 109 criminal charges. Both have pleaded not guilty.

Sherrill didn’t mention Menendez in a statement Thursday but said she had Trump in mind when crafting the bill.

“As a Navy veteran and former prosecutor, I have zero tolerance for any betrayal of the public trust, especially when it comes to classified information and our national security,” she said.

“That’s why I’m extremely concerned about recent charges against Donald Trump and his continued desire to access sensitive classified information, despite reckless actions, and serious criminal charges,” she added.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrat-introduce-bill-bar-menendez-135647290.html

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I think some of the polls showing a Biden bump are indicative of what will happen as more ads drop and more people are paying attention.  This doesn't happen until September, typically.  I know it shouldn't be cause for relief... but it is a cause of hope. 

I also see so many articles about Trump picking up black and hispanic voters in polling.  Paint me skeptical on that one.  

I think ads even now can make a difference. Now, I do strongly believe that money needs to go to PACs that solely push ads to attack the orange water balloon without mentioning Biden. The adultering, the stealing from charities, the worst **** there is about him.

As far as Hispanic and AA voters and polling. I don't know. 

Ruben Gallego’s Battle Against Kari Lake Could Decide the Fate of the Senate—And Our Democracy

n the afternoon of January 6, 2021, as election deniers armed with Tasers and tomahawks overran the US Capitol, Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) handed his colleague and close friend Eric Swalwell a pen. “Here,” he said to the California Democrat. “Stick this in their neck if they get close to you.”

The Marine veteran, who’d seen combat in Iraq, leaped on a table and began issuing instructions to other panicked lawmakers, showing them how to don the gas masks secured under their chairs: “Tear gas will not kill you. But it’s important to remain calm. If you hyperventilate, you may pass out.” If necessary, Gallego told himself, he could use his own pen as a weapon to take a more lethal one from a rioter.

Three years later, the battle for American democracy continues, and Gallego, locked in one of the most pivotal contests of the 2024 election, is again attempting to hold the line. Along with close matchups in Ohio and Montana, his Senate race in Arizona for the seat Kyrsten Sinema is vacating could be one of a handful that decide control of the upper chamber and, with it, the future of our republic. Donald Trump, facing 88 criminal counts, has promised to usher in MAGA on steroids if reelected, including mass deportation and sweeping bans on gender-affirming care. A Democratic-­led Senate would be one of the last fortifications against his agenda.

As if to further underscore the stakes, Gallego’s opponent is the former TV news anchor turned Trump sycophant Kari Lake. A prolific purveyor of conspiracy theories, Lake claims not only that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump but also that she was robbed of the Arizona governorship in her 2022 race. If Trumpism is akin to a religion, Lake views herself as one of its martyrs. “You can call us extremists. You can call us domestic terrorists,” she declared during one campaign event in 2022. “You know who else was called a lot of names his whole life? Jesus.”

Click on the link for the full article