Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

vivek ramaswamy's political director leaving to join trump campaign https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vivek-ramaswamy-political-director-brian-swensen-joining-trump-campaign/

With the Iowa caucuses less than 50 days away, one of GOP presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy's top political advisers is leaving to work for former President Donald Trump's campaign, according to multiple sources familiar with the move.

Brian Swensen, who served as Ramaswamy's national political director since the spring and was a key player in the campaign's work in New Hampshire, confirmed to CBS News he is leaving and directed further questions about his future role to the Trump campaign.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I have faith that given a choice between Biden and Trump in Novermber 2024, we will see record turnout in the election. Which historically doesn't favor Republicans.

I think so too. Feels like with the current landscape the Dems keep the WH and take the house, but lose the Senate because the number of Dems defending seats is higher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Well the fact that Biden is 58% disapproval but still beats Trump speaks pretty loudly.... 

Beat him by 10 in the 2020 vote in VA, but only up 4 on that poll. Biden can still win VA, but that dropoff won't cut it in the states which were closer.

I'm sure Obama and other recent presidents who got reelected didn't have the greatest approval numbers a year out from the election, but they weren't 81 like Biden is either. And for whatever reason, nobody seems to care that Trump isn't much younger.

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm sure Obama and other recent presidents who got reelected didn't have the greatest approval numbers a year out from the election, but they weren't 81 like Biden is either. And for whatever reason, nobody seems to care that Trump isn't much younger.

Nobody is aggressively pushing on Trump's age and mental acuity because his primary "opponents" are all craven (except Christie, who everyone just ignores).  It's definitely coming in the general though.  

• Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Nobody is aggressively pushing on Trump's age and mental acuity because his primary "opponents" are all craven (except Christie, who everyone just ignores).  It's definitely coming in the general though.  

Wouldn't count on it.  

On my list of reasons why not to vote for Trump, his age and his stupidity probably aren't even on the first page.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

Wouldn't count on it.  

On my list of reasons why not to vote for Trump, his age and his stupidity probably aren't even on the first page.  

I hope and think they are going to weave it into a broader overall narrative which is "this guy is a clear and present danger to Americans."

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Why? The guys done absolutely nothing. 

That's exactly why. You see this a lot in MD where a couple of times since 2000 a Republican wins as governor, does basically nothing because they're always outnumbered by Dems in the house and senate, and just kinda play the centrist and get lots of national attention for it. I definitely remember Hogan being held up as a great example of a "Smart, Moderate, Centrist" Republican to counter Trump on the national stage. Kind of like how Christy was briefly viewed in a similarly favorable way as a Republican governor of deep blue NJ before (gestures to everything). Sort of the same thing with Ehrlich before him (but that was more for a Senate run and less for President). If you can get a Republican governor in a blue state (think Arnold in CA or Romney in MA) then they've basically got the opposition doing the hard work of keeping Republican's craziest ideas from ever coming close to fruition. VA may not quite be reliably "blue" yet, as evidenced by the fact that for the first part of Youngkin's term the Dems basically had a single seat keeping the Republicans from full control, but because the Dems still controlled the VA senate, they were able to stop Youngkin from going full-MAGA. Despite what a lot on the right want to believe, Republican policies (when they exist) are quite unpopular at the moment.

So while Youngkin is probably upset that he didn't get to implement all the policies he wanted, he does have to be breathing a small sigh of relief that the Democrats have always had some manner of control in the state. After all, now he can still claim to his base that he believes all the policies and ideas that got him elected, but gosh darnit (sorry, is that language too spicy for Sweatervest?) those evil Dems had just enough power to stop him. What's a guy to do (shrug)? But now he can also appeal to moderates/centrist with the "Look, a Republican ran VA and it's just fine! I can do it at a broader scale, trust me!" and possibly get away with it.

And because establishment Republicans can mostly recognize this, but decide instead to spin it as "See? The government can work just fine when nothing gets done! See what happens when you let a common sense Republican slow down the Democrat crazies in these blue states?! Put us in charge of everything so nothing can get done anywhere, then things will be even better!" then Republican like Youngkin can be seen as a net positive for this reason. At least for a little while.

Edited by GhostofSparta
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1