Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Warren Buffet years ago....

You know, when I was a kid, I thought if I ever made a lot of money, I would go out and buy a team. I was a water boy for the Washington Redskins for two games -- I lived in Washington at the time -- and I thought if I ever had a lot of money, I'd buy the Washington Redskins.

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

All I heard was Bezos does what he whats when he wants and nobody's stopping him.

Sure, except in regards to this sale, one of those things that he may want to do when he wants to do it…may be to do nothing. 

• Thumb up 1

Bezos is going to be that guy on the Price is Right that comes in with a $1 over bid and gets a dirty look from the other contestants (Harris) at the end of the showcase showdown.. 6.1 billion! 

LSx.gif

Edited by oraphus

Weeks before the D.C. attorney general’s office filed its lawsuits against the Commanders, Snyder announced that he had retained Bank of America Securities to explore potential transactions for the team.

Team president Jason Wright said at the league’s annual meetings in Phoenix last month that he expects the team to be sold — “I don’t see why it wouldn’t,” he told The Post — but the timing of any potential sale remains unclear.

A group led by Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils owner Josh Harris and another led by Canadian business executive Steve Apostolopoulos have submitted formal bids to buy the Commanders, according to people with direct knowledge of the sale process. Other potential buyers include Jeff Bezos, who owns The Washington Post, and Tilman Fertitta, the owner of the Houston Rockets.

As the process plays out, Schwalb said, he expects the lawsuit against the Commanders, the NFL, Snyder and Goodell to move forward.

“The lawsuits against the team are independent of any potential sale of the team,” Schwalb said. “So my expectation is that, of course, this settlement will ... end at least one of the two cases by way of settlement, and the other case will continue until it’s either tried or resolved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/10/washington-commanders-settlement-dc-ticket-deposits/

• Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise did you hear Gutman on Galdi’s podcast yesterday? I know the Harris group is your preferred group.  He was extremely complimentary of Mitch Rails, who he knows well.  

Have to consider the source given they are friends but it was good stuff. 

Probably your juices flowing.  
—————————————————-

Changing facts entirely, from a “what’s going to happen” perspective, the fact Bezos hasn’t bowed out is very telling.  If he was not interested he’d let people know that because he’s not going to do any favors for Dan using him as a mechanism to drive up the price.  So I think he’s doing SOMETHING quietly. He’s not just waiting to wait.  Something is going on.

I was trying to think why he would be delaying, and only 2 things came to mind:

1. He still has questions about the financials, law suits, escrow, valuation, etc.

2. (and I think this is more likely) he’s having his people QUIETLY have conversations with all of the municipalities about new stadium.  Not to get a finalized deal in place but at least to understand how difficult/expensive it’s going to be to get a deal done.  And where it could get done.  He might also be taking to VA about using some of the land Amazon has already purchased in Crystal City for a stadium.  Bezos has the luxury to know the train is not going to leave the station until he declares his intention, as long as he bids before the Harris bid expires.  So why not take all the time you can to quietly have conversations to see what it would take to get a stadium deal? He might be talking to the Feds and DC government quietly to see if the RFK site is actually a possibility for him. And maybe if he finds out the stadium stuff is just too big a pain in the ass, he sits this one out and goes for the Seahawks.  Or if he finds he can make a good deal, then he puts a winning bid in. 

There just is no reason to slow roll making a decision on to bid or not to bid, so something else has to be going on.  And Bezos is very pragmatic and practical with these types of business decisions.  He wants all the facts written down so he can make a decision.  

This is just a guess.  But I’m guessing Uncle Jeff is still researching SOMETHING, which is why he hasn’t declared. The stadium is the most obvious thing.  But it could be something else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise did you hear Gutman on Galdi’s podcast yesterday? I know the Harris group is your preferred group.  He was extremely complimentary of Mitch Rails, who he knows well.  

Have to consider the source given they are friends but it was good stuff. 

Not yet.  Almost did, I was listening to draft podcasts this morning instead but I'll get to it.  Gutman though did talk extensively on Sheehan's show and podcast about Rales so I probably have heard it all.

Yeah I am enthusiastic about Harris-Rales.  i am actually enthusiastic about Bezos too, pretty much always been, but he's gone from my 1A to 1B.   

But I don't worship Harris or Bezos.  Both have flaws.   I like more about what I've heard about Harris and even more so Rales versus what I've read and heard about Bezos as to their personality.  And the liikability factor has become more important to me over the years, as I've been rooting for a team run by a bad guy.   But heck either for different reasons would likely by 100 million miles better than Dan.

Heck I'll even take Steven A and the mysterious bidder whomever it is and ride with that, too.  It will be one of the best sports days in my lifetime when Dan sells.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

—————————————————-

Changing facts entirely, from a “what’s going to happen” perspective, the fact Bezos hasn’t bowed out is very telling.  If he was not interested he’d let people know that because he’s not going to do any favors for Dan using him as a mechanism to drive up the price.  So I think he’s doing SOMETHING quietly. He’s not just waiting to wait.  Something is going on.

I was trying to think why he would be delaying, and only 2 things came to mind:

1. He still has questions about the financials, law suits, escrow, valuation, etc.

2. (and I think this is more likely) he’s having his people QUIETLY have conversations with all of the municipalities about new stadium.  Not to get a finalized deal in place but at least to understand how difficult/expensive it’s going to be to get a deal done.  And where it could get done.  He might also be taking to VA about using some of the land Amazon has already purchased in Crystal City for a stadium.  Bezos has the luxury to know the train is not going to leave the station until he declares his intention, as long as he bids before the Harris bid expires.  So why not take all the time you can to quietly have conversations to see what it would take to get a stadium deal? He might be talking to the Feds and DC government quietly to see if the RFK site is actually a possibility for him. And maybe if he finds out the stadium stuff is just too big a pain in the ass, he sits this one out and goes for the Seahawks.  Or if he finds he can make a good deal, then he puts a winning bid in. 

There just is no reason to slow roll making a decision on to bid or not to bid, so something else has to be going on.  And Bezos is very pragmatic and practical with these types of business decisions.  He wants all the facts written down so he can make a decision.  

This is just a guess.  But I’m guessing Uncle Jeff is still researching SOMETHING, which is why he hasn’t declared. The stadium is the most obvious thing.  But it could be something else. 

My guess is exactly the same for the same reasons as to Bezos.

The other bids have tapped out it seems.  So I gather Bezos has zero to gain unless i am missing something (and it is certainly possible I am missing something) to just sit on bidding for this.  The sooner he can start with this team, the better I'd assume.   Unless, maybe Dan is playing the reverse game with Bezos that he's playing with Harris which is playing up other higher bids are in the offing and Bezos just decides to wait that out until Dan shuts up about it. 

But I'd guess its going through the books considering the Harris team according to Sheehan (his source is obvious) thinks they are already engaging in a major overpay with their current bid -- Bezos' bankers are dissecting the books themselves and factoring the same things. You also got the lingering lawsuits.  And the stadium expense.  

Some seem to think Bezos since he has all the money in the world gladly overpays for whatever and can care less about value.  But that's not his reputation. 

So like you I guess the time he's taken is to study all angles of the finances.  And I agree he must have some interest otherwise he'd say he's out.  So I am guessing he's still deciding versus what some others think is he's decided already and will pay whatever it takes.   Again that's a guess.

Keim who is very careful about his reporting said recently he understands DC-RFK is looking tough no matter who owns the team.  So much red tape in the way.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I work in Crystal City, and you'd have to tear down the entire neighborhood to fit a football stadium there. Even then, I'm not sure there's enough space. Plus, Amazon doesn't own the entire thing. 

It's next to Potomac Yards, where JKC tried and failed to build a stadium. The local opposition would be just as fierce as it would be for the RFK site.

Sheehan.

He's heard Haris bid is somewhere between 5.8 and 5.9.  Grant Paulsen said in a recent radio segment he heard around 5.85.    Then if you add Perez's tweet the other day that it would like take 100-150 million from Harris to work things out with Dan or something like that.  A lot there that Dan is insisting on 6 and Harris insisting on less than 6. 

He still thinks Harris wins the bid and it happens soon but is not as confident about that as he was days ago.

lol, Sheehan responded to an email about whether Dan is dragging this out to burn the fan base out so by the time it happens we are too worn out by the story to do a parade, etc.  Sheehan didn't think that Dan has enough forethought to do that.   But the thought still amused me.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan.

He's heard Haris bid is somewhere between 5.8 and 5.9.  Grant Paulsen said in a recent radio segment he heard around 5.85.    Then if you add Perez's tweet the other day that it would like take 100-150 million from Harris to work things out with Dan or something like that.  A lot there that Dan is insisting on 6 and Harris insisting on less than 6. 

He still thinks Harris wins the bid and it happens soon but is not as confident about that as he was days ago.

lol, Sheehan responded to an email about whether Dan is dragging this out to burn the fan base out so by the time it happens we are too worn out by the story to do a parade, etc.  Sheehan didn't think that Dan has enough forethought to do that.   But the thought still amused me.

I mean, yeah 150-200m is a whole lot of cash. But if that’s what is going on over a 6B agreement then egos on all sides have taken over. 

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I mean, yeah 150-200m is a whole lot of cash. But if that’s what is going on over a 6B agreement then egos on all sides have taken over. 

Harris bidding 6 does not guarantee him the team. BofA would still take the number to Allen and Co to see what Bezos would do. They would even say hey Dan got his number you need to make it really interesting and fast to stay in the game. 

Harris is not going to get into a bidding war with Bezos just like he didn’t with Walton. Not sure who the mystery bidder is. Once that resolved it will be Bezos time. I’m pretty certain he will bid and win as you know but there is no point in Harris bidding against himself right now. 

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe.  But not knowing the back and forth makes it hard to guess.

I think some here can take it to the extreme when they suggest the ones who cover the story know nothing and we know as much as they do.  That's clearly not true.  No one on this thread broke here who was bidding, who pulled out among other things.  So yeah there are some things that some know that we don't.  But...

But its impossible to know the back and forth conversations and how that plays into it.  Dan's feelings.  The bidders feelings, etc.  So lets say for example as some of us talked about yesterday, Harris says I'll consider the 6 billion but if I decide to do it, you need to accept the offer, it can't be dangiling out there to bait other bids and Dan just says no?  Or whatever else.  Plus there is no serious competing bid, yet, apparently.

I think the other variable in this is Harris-Rales are not described as stupid people.  They get they need a stadium ASAP.   They are the bidders in the mix who went to RFK in their youth and get the before and after as much as anyone.  They are not lost about the demise of this franchse and what it will take to bring it back.

They've clearly talked to Jason Wright since Wright referenced talking to the prospective bidders and I know Wright from interviews thinks the stadium is the be all and end all. 

One who is covering the sale mentioned they heard, the Harris team has a plan laid out to hit the ground running.  I would guess the Harris-Rales plan factors the stadium.  They would have to be morons to think hey lets ride this out at Fedex.  My point is they likely are budgeting money for the stadium in this mix and that might be part of the reason why there are limnits to how much they are willing to overpay for this asset because they need to spend much more money on this asset beyond the sale and ASAP.

• Like 2