Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't want to offend any of you guys, so I'll ask politely first:  

How many of you guys actually like the Commanders name and would you be upset if the new owner changed it?

Say what you want about TMZ but if it's on there, it's got legs.  They're hardly ever wrong.

I’m not a fan of the Commanders name.  Sounds like the Kirkland Generals to me.  Plus the whole Take Command thing is just horrible.  It’s been around just a months weeks and I see it almost exclusively used sarcastically (and mostly by me).  

that said, Bezos could give us with the Washington Primes.  Sometimes what you’ve got is better than what you’ve got coming.  

frankly I’d be ok with a bad name and a better owner.  I want to win.  I want a team that wins for a decade so that I can finally feel something other than wariness about this team.  I want to be excited again.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Washington fans always cheer against us. I read your Around the NFL game threads LOL. It doesn’t bother me in the least as that means your good majority of the time. Seriously I don’t care. You guys probably don’t mind the Vikings though am I right?

Dude what? No Redskins/Commanders fans are hating on the Packers unless we are playing you guys (and even that's up for debate, since if we're bad most of us would prefer to lose to improve draft positioning), or unless we need your team to lose in order for us to make the playoffs. Why the sudden victim complex? Nobody in the NFC North is a rival to us, and I think the vast majority of us view that entire division completely neutrally.

Aaron Rodgers, as a person, is a bit weird, but he's not nearly bad enough for us to hate your team.

Your assumptions are way off the mark.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I used to run investments for an A-list celebrity who looked into buying an NFL team within the past 5 years (I am willing verify this privately with the mods).

Based on my experience, I think it's 50-50 whether this is a deal for a minority sale or a full sale.

There is a very real chance Snyder fully sells based on the valuation and settling his legal/PR issues, but it is also equally possible he finds someone to buy a 30% stake for just under $2b and uses half of that to build a stadium which buys him a new lease on life with the other owners.

We are not out of the woods. But there is hope.

Stay medium, my friends.

The nfl isn’t going to approve for just a minority owner. They want Dan gone.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Dude what? No Redskins/Commanders fans are hating on the Packers unless we are playing you guys (and even that's up for debate, since if we're bad most of us would prefer to lose to improve draft positioning), or unless we need your team to lose in order for us to make the playoffs. Why the sudden victim complex? Nobody in the NFC North is a rival to us, and I think the vast majority of us view that entire division completely neutrally.

Aaron Rodgers, as a person, is a bit weird, but he's not nearly bad enough for us to hate your team.

Your assumptions are way off the mark.

Chicago had a rivalry with you guys back in the 80s though right? Remember the couple years the Bears were good. I believe you guys were really good at the same time.

36 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I think all options really are on the table. If someone like Bezos gives them an offer they can't refuse, they'll sell the whole thing. But if the best they get is Byron Allen cobbling together a $5bn offer, they might opt for a a 40% sale instead.

And don't put it past them to project increased attendance via opposing teams taking over the stadium. Or increased after-market broker revenue.

I have a very hard time believing that at this point, the NFL is just going to let him all Willy nilly sell off 40% of the team to whomever the shady characters would be, that would want to get in bed with Dan amid a variety of investigations~ federal, MJW, etc.  

It also sounds as if the NFL has the 24 needed votes to forcefully remove him.  Unless news to the contrary came out today that I’m not aware of.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That’s only in the season opening kickoff game though, and the thanksgiving night game. Not “every week” as you originally stated. 

Huh? When did I say I can’t stand the packers? Point to me where I said that 😂 oh yeah…..NEVER! You really need to stop with this **** lol 

I thought they did it every week when it first started. If they do it twice a year, It’s still stupid and my point remains.

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Bottom line whoever comes in here whether that be Bezos or someone else, I think its safe to say that we could see a complete breakdown of the team and starting from scratch. That includes name, front office, and stadium. 

And I could see these things happening rather quick. Look at Tepper in Carolina, he came in right away and got rid of Gettlemen and hired Ruhle. He also fired Ruhle on a couple years into his contract. 

Tepper kept Ron for nearly 2 seasons.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have a very hard time believing that at this point, the NFL is just going to let him all Willy nilly sell off 40% of the team to whomever the shady characters would be, that would want to get in bed with Dan amid a variety of investigations~ federal, MJW, etc.  

It also sounds as if the NFL has the 24 needed votes to forcefully remove him.  Unless need to the contrary came out today that I’m not aware of.

Some of the reporting made it seem like a large part of the owners' 24-vote level frustration with Snyder was his inability to get a stadium deal. This reporting intimated that while the bad PR is a headache for the owners, it's the stadium issue that was really driving their desire to oust him.

If Snyder told the owners he'll sell a piece to self-fund the stadium and in return they'll avoid a drawn-out legal battle, I could see them going for it.

Again, I think it could go either way. And obviously I hope he sells the whole thing. But I don't think we have enough information at this point to conclusively rule out a partial sale.   

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Good lord dude. This isn’t the thread for predictions or debates on whether or not Washington fans hate the packers 😂 this is a thread to **** on Snyder. 

ThePackIsBack having a hard time deciding on what random topic to argue about next...

adhd-distracted.gif

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 4

Re: New name with new owner:

People need to give up on a possible new name if the team is sold...the other 31 owners, the league overall, the individual team sponsors and the league sponsors all have a stake in the Commanders remaining the Commanders. Wouldn't surprise me one iota if a condition of buying a franchise is that the name, logo, and colors must remain the same and that any changes must be approved by the league, with the league considering input by their sponsors. Remember, it was heat from a major sponsor that helped lead to the first name change to begin with.

Here's a refresher from back in 2013:

Redskins name change would have to pass muster with NFL, sponsors

Daniel Snyder owns the Washington Redskins, but even he couldn’t change the team’s name without a complicated, and possibly lengthy, process that might include winning approval from both the NFL and some of its many sponsors, according to experts on the way the nation’s most prosperous sports league conducts its affairs.

The financial stakes in such a move by one of pro football’s most valuable franchises would be considerable for the 32 NFL owners, who have a revenue-sharing agreement that covers much of the more than $9 billion the league generates annually.

“The unique dynamic of professional sports is that teams essentially give up some of their rights as far as names and trademarks to the league as part of the joint venture,” said Gabriel Feldman, director of the sports law program at Tulane University. “While an individual team owner makes business decisions primarily affecting the one team, there are also decisions made by the league and the other owners that tend to affect the league as a whole.”

[...]But the fierce debate has glossed over both the financial implications of a name change and the procedural issues that would be involved. All of those considerations would be significant, people familiar with the situation and outside legal and business experts said.

According to two people with knowledge of the NFL’s policies on such matters, the league exerts great control over the use of trademarked team names, logos and colors.

One of those people, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, said he presumes the NFL would take the position that team names are set by the league constitution and any name change would require league approval.

[...]Team names, colors and trademarks are subject to existing contracts with sponsors at both the individual team and league-wide levels, according to both people familiar with the NFL policies. So companies that sponsor the Redskins or the NFL would have some say in whether the name could be changed or would require notice — possibly years of advance warning in some cases — to allow existing contracts and licenses to lapse, according to those people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-name-change-would-have-to-pass-muster-with-nfl-sponsors/2013/02/24/c4fa763c-7b0b-11e2-9c27-fdd594ea6286_story.html

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Re: New name with new owner:

People need to give up on a possible new name if the team is sold...the other 31 owners, the league overall, the indivudial team sponsors and the league sponsors all have a stake in the Commanders remaining the Commanders. Wouldn't surprise me one iota if a condition of buying a franchise is that the name, logo, and colors must remain the same and that any changes must be approved by the league, with the league considering input by their sponsors. Remember, it was heat from a major sponsor that helped lead to the first name change to begin with.

The NFL wants Bezos. If he wants in, he could probably get away with naming the team after his dog.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

People need to give up on a possible new name if the team is sold...the other 31 owners, the league overall, the individual team sponsors and the league sponsors all have a stake in the Commanders remaining the Commanders

You’re acting like this is some massive hurdle 

a new owner that spends 6-8 billion to replace snyder and clean house, will get a new name if they want one and come up with something that doesn’t suck. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Maybe, who knows...I don't remember Bezos having any fluency in rescuing and resuscitating sports franchises. He just has a ton of money.

Money being the most attractive commodity to the folks who'd be voting on this.