Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

2 hours ago, method man said:

This is stupid. No one keeps around a $13M AAV guy to be a swing tackle. Don’t trust Jones to protect the blindside yet either

Me neither.  I don't think any of the OTs after PJJr are good enough to beat out Leno for the starting LT job this year TBH.

We need to find someone with some positional versatility to play inside if we want someone who can start this year.

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Me neither.  I don't think any of the OTs after PJJr are good enough to beat out Leno for the starting LT job this year TBH.

We need to find someone with some positional versatility to play inside if we want someone who can start this year.

Skoronski is the guy who fits that profile.  Play him at LG and see if he can be a future tackle after the year.  Otherwise keep him inside.  The only other guy who interests me is Harrison considering the upside.  Paris Johnson will be gone for sure.  

I'm having trouble on we'll take at 16 right now.  Rivera wants to win now.  Who is that player available at 16.  Bijon is obvious, but it is extremely doubtful he's there.  Porter doesn't seem to fit our scheme at all as you have pointed out.  I actually Mayer or Branch if they are are the most ready-made contributors at 16. 

Edited by mhd24

Yeah, yeah, I know we're supposed to trust the process here. But I don't want to have to miss Matsko down the road. He did a great job here, even when he was having to glue together irreparable pieces. I'm trying to be optimistic. But not all change is good. 

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Yeah, yeah, I know we're supposed to trust the process here. But I don't want to have to miss Matsko down the road. He did a great job here, even when he was having to glue together irreparable pieces. I'm trying to be optimistic. But not all change is good. 

Matsko was overrated. A reason his OL performed well in 2021 was scheme. As I believe Warren Sharpe pointed out, the depth of target in 2021 was the lowest or one of the lowest in the league, meaning the line didn't have to pass protect for too long

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Matsko was overrated. A reason his OL performed well in 2021 was scheme. As I believe Warren Sharpe pointed out, the depth of target in 2021 was the lowest or one of the lowest in the league, meaning the line didn't have to pass protect for too long

Who are we bringing on as Masko's replacement?

12 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Yeah but you can’t have your OL coach not in alignment with the OC. The OL coach is almost always the defacto run game coordinator, and if Masko and EB couldn’t get on the same page in March, November was never going to be good.  

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

Who are we bringing on as Masko's replacement?

They could flip the TE coach (I can’t remember his name) to OL coach.  He wa OL coach in KC under Reid at one point.  I heard this on a podcast.  Not sure who said it.  

If they do that, not sure who they get as TE coach.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

They could flip the TE coach (I can’t remember his name) to OL coach.  He wa OL coach in KC under Reid at one point.  I heard this on a podcast.  Not sure who said it.  

If they do that, not sure who they get as TE coach.  

It’d be really cool if they gave Logan Paulsen the job. He and EB have a relationship from Paulsen’s UCLA days

2 minutes ago, method man said:

It’d be really cool if they gave Logan Paulsen the job. He and EB have a relationship from Paulsen’s UCLA days

Yeah.  I’m not sure if Logan wants a coaching job.  

You know who always wanted one?  Cooley.  But I doubt he’s on the radar. And he never got an opportunity for whatever reason.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah.  I’m not sure if Logan wants a coaching job.  

You know who always wanted one?  Cooley.  But I doubt he’s on the radar. And he never got an opportunity for whatever reason.  

Cooley never had the work ethic to be a pro coach. Seems like Logan does.

Logan already coaches at the HS level and trains guys privately. Question is whether he’d be up for the workload. He definitely has the brain to be a fast riser to OC. 

• Like 1

Obviously the draft is yet to come and there is always additional FA possibilities. BUT, given the context of losing Matsko, our FA signings, and our OL performance last year I would characterize addressing the OL and upgrading it, as POOR to this point. 

I really hope we plan on doing more for this unit as I would be highly concerned heading into the season with the unit as currently constituted.  

Let's start with getting an OL coach in here and building this thing out properly.

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Obviously the draft is yet to come and there is always additional FA possibilities. BUT, given the context of losing Matsko, our FA signings, and our OL performance last year I would characterize addressing the OL and upgrading it, as POOR to this point. 

I really hope we plan on doing more for this unit as I would be highly concerned heading into the season with the unit as currently constituted.  

Let's start with getting an OL coach in here and building this thing out properly.

Perhaps the biggest issue with the OL has been the inability to develop young talent. They've drafted Charles, Ismael, Cosmi and Paul during Ron's tenure and I would argue, outside of Paul, each guy underachieved vs expectations. It's a point Paulsen made - that the way Matsko works is good for vets but not young linemen. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, method man said:

Perhaps the biggest issue with the OL has been the inability to develop young talent. They've drafted Charles, Ismael, Cosmi and Paul during Ron's tenure and I would argue, outside of Paul, each guy underachieved vs expectations. It's a point Paulsen made - that the way Matsko works is good for vets but not young linemen. 

I totally agree that the youth component is completing missing.  We are working with bandaids, also rans, and could be maybe's.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it implodes.

I'm just thinking about giving Sam the best chance to succeed. We gotta do right by him, we gotta do better than this imo. We are playing with fire. Hoping for more this offseason.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

On 3/14/2023 at 5:22 PM, Warhead36 said:

I don't see us cutting Lucas. He's durable and reliable and he's not really that expensive. He's the perfect swing T/6th man on the OL.

Leno I could see being cut if we draft a LT at 16.

In this case, a post June 1st  trade will save us 10 mil including dead money.

Edited by FrFan

On 3/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, shemp nixon said:

Draft wise, I'd love a LT to groom behind Leno.

Agreed. In perfect world, I'd go with two tackles in Round 1 (RT - day 1 starter) and Round 3 (LT to develop) , with a CB in Round 2 (understand that this could shift, since the pick is really up to the quality of the player available at that slot).

That would give: 

LT - CLeno

LG - AWiley (he played well there in KC, and Paulsen likes him there)

C - CRoullier or NGates

RG - SCosmi
RT - #1 (16 overall): Darnell Wright or Dawan Jones

Depth: CLucas, Rd #3 LT, CRoullier or NGates, CPaul, TLarsen or SCharles

Gone: ANorwell, TLarsen or SCharles

Rd #3 LT can sit for a year and learn.

I would also shift Juan Castillo to Line Coach. He has experience in Reid's offence from his days in Philly and did well there.

Edited by Stoox