Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #16

zCommander

15 minutes ago, MrJL said:

well, what was your point?

My point is not hope or the need for a time machine to successfully pick a franchise QB, especially the first round where typicially the best prospects are to pick from.  Scouting departments work too damn hard to compare them to throwing darts blind.

15 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I am sick of the portion of the fanbase who acts like getting the top QB prospect will make this team great.  No, if you've go no faith in anything this team does then you should accept we'd be the team that would draft Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  Or maybe we'd get Andrew Luck, but then we'd be just like the Colts and draft so poorly around him he retires years before he needed too

Bengals did that and went to the Super Bowl last year.  It's just as dramatic a change to a franchise as not having one all the sudden, ask the Steelers, Colts, and Patriots, three supposedly well run franchises how well run they look without one.

Off-Topic: I don't believe Tua should be labeled a miss anymore, Dolphins have winning record and averaging jus under 300 ypg passing despite him missing time this year.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

well, what was your point?

I am sick of the portion of the fanbase who acts like getting the top QB prospect will make this team great.  No, if you've go no faith in anything this team does then you should accept we'd be the team that would draft Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  Or maybe we'd get Andrew Luck, but then we'd be just like the Colts and draft so poorly around him he retires years before he needed too

And I’m tired of part of the fan base that feels like it’s like that’s the entirety of the plan. It’s just step one

On 10/31/2022 at 12:14 PM, Zim489 said:

Do you understand why we keep "screwing" up 1st round QBs? 

A generation (or 2) of organizational suck.

For all the “we shoulda/woulda/coulda taken”, I have zero expectation that any of them would have the success they have if they would have come here.

Feel free to gnash your teeth over “omgomgomg, they won a game and now they’re picking 9th instead of 7th”.  Me?, I take whatever slight enjoyment out of one week and not worry too much about what draft pick/kid they’re going to eff up/misuse/waste next.

just a difference of perspective I guess, 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 1

Even if we don't draft a QB, having a higher draft slot makes such a difference. I know this is obvious to most but every year we seem to trade up in the 3rd or 4th round, or the guy we really want in the 2nd round gets picked just before we do. It would make the whole team better. To say nothing of the fact our picks are then more attractive to other teams who want to trade should we choose to do so. Don't just fixate on a 1st round QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

A generation (or 2) of organizational suck.

For all the “we shoulda/woulda/coulda taken”, I have zero expectation that any of them would have the success they have if they would have come here.

Feel free to gnash your teeth over “omgomgomg, they won a game and now they’re picking 9th instead of 7th”.  Me?, I take whatever slight enjoyment out of one week and not worry too much about what draft pick/kid they’re going to eff up/misuse/waste next.

Well a large part of the issue is sticking a staff with the previous staffs QB selection. 

36 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Even if we don't draft a QB, having a higher draft slot makes such a difference. I know this is obvious to most but every year we seem to trade up in the 3rd or 4th round, or the guy we really want in the 2nd round gets picked just before we do. It would make the whole team better. To say nothing of the fact our picks are then more attractive to other teams who want to trade should we choose to do so. Don't just fixate on a 1st round QB.

Yup. The 7th pick is far more valuable than the 14th. 

• Like 2

Having a higher pick absolutely increases your chances, but at the end of the day, what are we arguing?

Do you think the team should just forfeit every week? That isn't gonna happen. Are you gonna bench guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc. to increase your chances of losing? That would cause a downright mutiny.

Its such an easy thing to say "root for losses." Yeah, I get it, if this were a video game or something. But the NFL is played by real humans, some of the most competitive SOBs on the planet.

Look at McLaurin's reaction after that big catch to set up the game winning score last week. You're gonna tell THAT guy winning these games don't matter because we need a higher draft pick?

Young is busting his butt trying to get back from an ACL tear. You're gonna tell him don't bother, these games don't matter because losing increases our chances of getting a franchise QB by like .0001%?

Have some perspective folks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Having a higher pick absolutely increases your chances, but at the end of the day, what are we arguing?

Do you think the team should just forfeit every week? That isn't gonna happen. Are you gonna bench guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc. to increase your chances of losing? That would cause a downright mutiny.

Its such an easy thing to say "root for losses." Yeah, I get it, if this were a video game or something. But the NFL is played by real humans, some of the most competitive SOBs on the planet.

Look at McLaurin's reaction after that big catch to set up the game winning score last week. You're gonna tell THAT guy winning these games don't matter because we need a higher draft pick?

Young is busting his butt trying to get back from an ACL tear. You're gonna tell him don't bother, these games don't matter because losing increases our chances of getting a franchise QB by like .0001%?

100% agree...

If/when the team sucks eggs, losses should be treated as a consolation prize of sorts...not the main goal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

To be honest should fans really care what the players feel? I root for the team to be great. Im going to root for the ways to make the team great. Right now its rooting for what ever gets us closer to getting these morons at the top of the organization out. Likely wont get the top moron out but the guy who created the entirety of the football ops who built this craptastic roster, coaching staff, and Front office possibly. 

This has nothing to do with the way players feel and the players shouldnt give two ****s about what fans are "rooting" for. Go out and do your jobs. If youre good at it youll be among the group that fans want to stick around. If not, git gud. And if the players dont like that the fan base is rooting against them so what. Its just the nature of the business. 

As for what the "team" should do? It depends on what you think the term team means. The "team" should realize that this staff is leading them no where and has built the entire thing poorly. They should have some self awareness across the board. 

Personally I think fans focus too much on the individuals of the units too much. Thinking too micro far too often.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Me?, I take whatever slight enjoyment out of one week and not worry too much about what draft pick/kid they’re going to eff up/misuse/waste next.

Dan Snyder thanks you for having exactly the mindset he needs fans to have. 

22 hours ago, bowhunter said:

That moment when you realize that your teams power ranking is 29 and you're drafting at 17. Playing in a manner that equalizes the 2 would be a good thing

I saw 1 where the Colts, Packers, and Bears were ahead of us. Some people only see the negative. We have a lot of talent on this team. If the OL gets healthier and comes together there will only be a few teams I'd fear. Some would say we are a QB away.

17 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You're right. The way the team is built has nothing to do with Dan Snyder.

The way the team is built does. But a fan choosing slight enjoyment out of one week and worrying later about the draft has ZERO to do with Snyder. This isn’t difficult to comprehend. Come on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

One has about zero to do with the other but you do you.

13 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The way the team is built does. But a fan choosing slight enjoyment out of one week and worrying later about the draft has ZERO to do with Snyder. This isn’t difficult to comprehend. Come on. 

Likely a waste of my time, but....

Since Snyder has gotten here, the organization's entire mode of operation has been a desperate flailing search for as many wins NOW as could be achieved. Turn a 4 win team into a 6 win team? Yes, do it. Borrowing from future years to create a little more cap to squeeze in an extra FA? Absolutely. There's never even a hint of a strategy for the future, or a plan of any kind. What there always is is a desire to be just good enough to look like the team is achieving something.  

Old retread coaches. Free Agent spending sprees. Drafting for need. "coach centric." You name it. Should we trade Kirk Cousins for a bounty that could be used to build a future contender? Of course not, keep him for another year so we can have a shot at a .500 record and then we can trade more of the future for an old mediocrity to take his place so we can do it again. Yippee.

And he keeps running things this way because he's incapable of formulating a plan and unwilling to hire someone who can. And because he can survive as long as he holds enough of an even dwindling fan base on board. People who are willing to ignore the lack of vision and celebrate things like a 4-4 team that pretends it has a chance to win something meaningful. Yay, support a team that's just good enough that it has no chance to build something great. Remember to love every meaningless win.

If you don't see how being content with the mediocrity the team continues to wallow in is inextricably tied to Dan Snyder's stewardship, then I guess, as you say, you do you. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Since Snyder has gotten here, the organization's entire mode of operation has been a desperate flailing search for as many wins NOW as could be achieved. Turn a 4 win team into a 6 win team? Yes, do it. Borrowing from future years to create a little more cap to squeeze in an extra FA? Absolutely. There's never even a hint of a strategy for the future, or a plan of any kind. What there always is is a desire to be just good enough to look like the team is achieving something.  

Old retread coaches. Free Agent spending sprees. Drafting for need. "coach centric." You name it. Should we trade Kirk Cousins for a bounty that could be used to build a future contender? Of course not, keep him for another year so we can have a shot at a .500 record and then we can trade more of the future for an old mediocrity to take his place so we can do it again. Yippee.

And he keeps running things this way because he's incapable of formulating a plan and unwilling to hire someone who can. And because he can survive as long as he holds enough of an even dwindling fan base on board. People who are willing to ignore the lack of vision and celebrate things like a 4-4 team that pretends it has a chance to win something meaningful. Yay, support a team that's just good enough that it has no chance to build something great. Remember to love every meaningless win.

If you don't see how being content with the mediocrity the team continues to wallow in is inextricably tied to Dan Snyder's stewardship, then I guess, as you say, you do you. 

Nobody is arguing that Snyder has no influence on the team and the decisions that it makes. 

They're saying it doesn't need to come up in every single argument and thread. 

It's possible to just enjoy the team and football, while not paying attention to the owner like a normal fan would do.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I hate how much this is true…

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

…….repetitive stuff that everyone freely acknowledges in multiple threads that has nothing to do with a draft pick…….

All true

Content? Nope

celebrate? Maybe a little.  I like seeing the players succeed.

Do I still enjoy going to a cpl games a year?, yup.

Do I enjoy it more if they win? Yup

Do I think their success hinges on gaining a couple of draft picks by losing more? Nope

🤷‍♂️ 

helluva lot of jumping from A to 17 but rant on.  Hell, I got your back even if you’re only ranting against the voices in your head.  You’re saying it yourself, the larger issue isn’t a draft pick here or there. (That is, after all, what this thread is about)

Edited by stoshuaj

• zCommander changed the title to 2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #18
  • 1 month later...
  • zCommander changed the title to 2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #17