Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #16

zCommander

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

Hope they are smart enough to tank the rest of the season.  They need to take advantage of this upcoming QB class...

They are not. Historically when the team has had starts this bad, they've blown it with meaningless wins to play their way out of top draft picks. The most painful versions of this happened in the fall of '98, fall of '09, '10 and '11, and again in the fall of '19 and '20. Some years it mattered less. 

This draft is top heavy in elite QB prospects like 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, and 2021. Some years it plays out well (2012, 2017, 2020) some years it doesn't or seems not to (2018, 2021).  We'll see how this one plays out. For now, it does look like there's a top 2 again, and 4 or so likely to go top 10-12.

Before the season started if memory serves, I put our ceiling at around 9-10 wins, our floor at about 4-5, and our expected wins just in line with Vegas at 7 or 7.5. Now looking at the schedule, 5-7 wins seems the most likely. We're going to need to keep that as low as possible and while infuriating is a strong word, winning the season opener was a complete and total disaster since we likely won't win opponent winning percentage tie breakers. 

Our chief competitors in slotting who seem likely to be interested in QB include Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, NYJ, Carolina, and Detroit (am I forgetting anyone?). I definitely see Seattle, Carolina and Detroit as prioritizing QB, the others are more open to question....

Praying we stall out at 4-13, or 5-12 at best, if we win more than 5, we probably pick up the leftover crumbs. We're benefiting potentially from teams being caught between QB's which should help as well as teams like NYG, catching a run, and likely playing themselves out of options. I don't know what teams like Atlanta, Chicago, NYJ, New Orleans, Indy, Houston, and Tennessee will do. All of them save for New Orleans and Indy have young potential answers in house, do they still want a QB? I think Chicago and NYJ will stand pat, but pending record, I think Atlanta, New Orleans, Indy and Houston might pull the record if they crap out enough. 

I will note, this was one of many reasons I've wanted us to trade down for future picks the last three drafts and been increasingly frustrated that we haven't. One day we'll be run by forward thinking GM's, but it's probably unlikely to be soon. 

Btw, if you want to know a sign about the team being run by halfway intelligent people, look for them to unload players at the deadline to improve the tank, and add picks for the loaded '23 class. Needless to say, THEY WON'T, but they sure as hell should, and a smart team WOULD. To be fair to the chuckleheads that have run this team into the ground over the past 30 years or so, almost no NFL teams utilize the trade deadline because this is the ultimate CYA league where coaches and GM's fear losing their gigs if they waive the white flag on seasons, but when you have a loaded QB draft, and your team lacks an answer at QB, you sure as hell should. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not buying Howell develops into a franchise QB, not with this coaching staff, or Ron admits this quickly to Wentz being a mistake.  Year 4 isn't a rebuild year of any administration, its win now or never mode...

Gonna sell the future for one season?

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

That would be the dumbest thing he could do for the direction of this franchise.   I would do everything possible to convince synder that it's in the best interest to tank this season and play for the draft.  Drop Carson now to keep conditional 2nd.    

That's the problem with keeping guys around when they are on win or your fired contracts. They will sell everything in sight to keep their paycheck and gig another year. 

Tanking is a win, win, win.

*You get a chance at a top pick in a rare draft loaded at the QB position ('23 has 2 top 2-3 guys, and 4 top 10 guys).

*You keep your '23 2nd rounder by sitting Wentz, rather than trading it.

*You get to roll out Howell so you can figure out if he's worth keeping around as a legit starting QB kind of guy a la Cousins, or merely backup fodder, a la Cary Conklin. 

You keep rolling out Wentz you cost yourself a second, you hurt your draft slotting in his rare good games, and you learn nothing about Howell. 

• Like 5

The good thing is, with our OL issues, we might not need to try to tank. We might legitimately lose out.

The games I see that are potential wins are the Bears this week, the Falcons, and the Texans. But even then, I don't think we'll be favored in any of those games. Lets say we win two of those three.

Then due to general NFL randomness we'll win one other game. Maybe two. Think last year when we beat the Bucs and Raiders. 

I have us finishing with 5 wins but could be as low as 3 or as high as 6. 

If Ron doesn't get fired, he is not taking a rookie QB.  Rookie QBs are a long process to develop, 2-3 years minimum with a lot a really bad games in-between.  Ron isn't waiting that long.  I also don't want a coach on the hot seat drafting a QB.  Time after time Dan forces a new coach to develop a QB he didn't draft.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If we send the Colts a top 40 pick for Carson ****ing Wentz I’m gonna become and Eagles fan like @Koolblue13

Smart man. This teams awesome. BTW, end of the game, Eagles were in a similar spot to us and Hurts almost threw a pick. Big difference between both clubs.

Although Eagles only won, because the Cards made 3 big mistakes on the last drive.

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If we send the Colts a top 40 pick for Carson ****ing Wentz I’m gonna become and Eagles fan like @Koolblue13

And don't forget, the Eagles have the Saints 1rst pick, which before today was higher than ours. lol

31 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If we send the Colts a top 40 pick for Carson ****ing Wentz I’m gonna become an Eagles fan like @Koolblue13

BLASPHEMY!!  @Koolblue13 you have too much influence on this board 😡 LOL

Great thread.  

Question to the board.

Stroud or Young?  If we happen to get the first overall pick, who are you taking.  I have not seen enough of either one, to be honest.  

7 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Great thread.  

Question to the board.

Stroud or Young?  If we happen to get the first overall pick, who are you taking.  I have not seen enough of either one, to be honest.  

If the draft were today I'd say Young, but like we've been talking about in the draft room the biggest concern is his small frame and durability, other than that he checks the boxes. No real generational QBs in this draft, just a much deeper class with a bunch of really good QBs

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Great thread.  

Question to the board.

We need to focus on getting the number 1 pick at this point. The tank is on!

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If we're picking really high, this team better choose a QB.  If there is any team that ever needed to hedge their bets at that position, it's this one.

I've been saying since it was announced that Wentz ain't gonna get it done.  He's a waste of time.  We know TH isn't going to get it.  I don't care if they play Howell and he looks great, if we're picking really high, TAKE A ****ING QUARTERBACK!!!

Edited by Redwards

• zCommander changed the title to 2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #4

I didn't like the Wentz trade at all because I thought we'll cement our position as a mediocre 7-10 win team. If we end up with the #1 or #2 pick and are in position to restart with a promising rookie QB (some cap space and a new coaching staff) then I will take back everything I have said.

Unfortunately, we all know that we are going to win a couple of meaningless games down the road, end up with pick 7 or so, will play Wentz for more than 70% of the snaps and will look worse than ever before with no QB, no second rounder and no plan for the future.