Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We are not the Eagles, and we let up after going up 14-3 against the Jags.  I am afraid.

Lions: 28

Commanders: 17

Who is there to be afraid of? The only person I may put in that category is Swift. They may have some decent WRs and TEs but I think Goff is a bum and if we can bring any heat on Goff he's going to be making throws under pressure. Nothing to see here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This has the feeling of another game we should win, but will be close while we try to figure ourselves out.  Lions fight hard now, but they looked stronger in run game then passing game yesterday. 

Can see us having some problems slowing their run game with dline injuries and linebackers being mad suspect, don't see them keeping up with us if we drop a couple bombs on them in a firing match.

26-20 Commies

This game is tailor made for us. We're gonna go high flying attack mode again on offense and hopefully not sputter again. Jags have a better back 7 than detroit and it's not close.

If we get a lead, the defense can just pin it's ears back. I do think they'll run the ball well against us, but Goff is going to get hit a lot, especially with 2/3 of their IOL out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

This game is tailor made for us. We're gonna go high flying attack mode again on offense and hopefully not sputter again. Jags have a better back 7 than detroit and it's not close.

If we get a lead, the defense can just pin it's ears back. I do think they'll run the ball well against us, but Goff is going to get hit a lot, especially with 2/3 of their IOL out. 

I agree. I think this is where we start to feast and show that we're a team to be reckoned with. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree. I think this is where we start to feast and show that we're a team to be reckoned with. 

It's wild that people are afraid of the Lions. We're not being coached by Zorn and Spurrier any more. The ****ing Lions of all teams.

This is going to be a commanding win. Like a 45-13 win and our hopes will be sky high.

Then we will get crushed and come back to earth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's wild that people are afraid of the Lions. We're not being coached by Zorn and Spurrier any more. The ****ing Lions of all teams.

This is going to be a commanding win. Like a 45-13 win and our hopes will be sky high.

My main fear of this game is that we're playing the Eagles next. its not that the Eagles are that good and we barely escaped Jax, but the fact that we won and they looked so bad means we can overlook them and be looking towards Philly. More precisely, I was on Twitter on Sunday saying that I was afraid that Turner was trying to be conservative to not show his full hand and keep some plays for Philly. I am afraid of that too. But hopefully Ron realizes this is an important game. Its a conference game (important for playoff rankings) and winning can keep us in first place. I hope we don't sleep. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

My main fear of this game is that we're playing the Eagles next. its not that the Eagles are that good and we barely escaped Jax, but the fact that we won and they looked so bad means we can overlook them and be looking towards Philly. More precisely, I was on Twitter on Sunday saying that I was afraid that Turner was trying to be conservative to not show his full hand and keep some plays for Philly. I am afraid of that too. But hopefully Ron realizes this is an important game. Its a conference game (important for playoff rankings) and winning can keep us in first place. I hope we don't sleep. 

I don't think we're anywhere near believing our own hype yet. We really don't have any. These first two games are definite should wins and I'm sure Ron is letting everyone know it.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's wild that people are afraid of the Lions.

I'm not buying any Commanders fan is as afraid of the Lions as they afraid of their own team.

We did come really close to blowing that game against the Jags, few teams have been as good at beating the Redskins as the Redskins in my time following them, especially this century.

This is definitely a chance to prove we can jus do what we're supposed to do, clock out, and go home.

They have to prove they can do that, because games are played on the field, not paper. Heaven forbid they get full of themselves, we've seen that backfire, too.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This has the feeling of another game we should win, but will be close while we try to figure ourselves out.  Lions fight hard now, but they looked stronger in run game then passing game yesterday. 

Can see us having some problems slowing their run game with dline injuries and linebackers being mad suspect, don't see them keeping up with us if we drop a couple bombs on them in a firing match.

26-20 Commies

Our CBs are anything but elite.  Not JAGs but the next tier up.  Fuller should be in the slot and WJ3 is just another overrated FA CB signing.  We gotta get some elite talent at CB next year.

The Lions have some very solid WRs, which we have, with this current secondary, made look much better than they should.  They will give us some problems, especially considering our LBs couldn't start for any other team, and JD keeps sliding down the slope towards Bustville.  

Our run defense is abysmal yet again.  Allowed 6.8 yards per rush and something like 128 yards against the Jaguars.  That's horrific.  If the Jaguars had even remotely committed to the run, they would have had a much easier time winning, even with the two easy TDs they botched.  Even the guys calling the game cited this.  It was straight up Steve Spurrier the way they just inexplicably refused to commit to something that was working so well.  The Lions can field an average run game and against us, it can easily look much better.  I can see the Lions exploiting this and keeping our offense, which looks competent now, off the field.  

Ron made some comments about being irked with the defensive scheme and having Davis matched up on a WR so often.  Don't underestimate that comment.  Coming from Ron, that's a huge "shots fired" comment towards JDR.  

Week 1 is always weird and yeah, it takes the first few games to see who is really who.  Schemes get on tape, allowing the DCs in the upcoming weeks to adjust to what you like to do.  So, it's not really until a few weeks in that you see if your DCs and OCs can counter-adjust to the adjustments that will be coming.

I can easily see both teams winning this game.  A lot like the Week 1 matchup.  If we're going to take a real step up this year, as Ron says we should, then you HAVE TO win this game.  You have to start separating your team from the lower tier teams.  Even if you win by 1 point.  You have to find a way to win against the Lions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

59 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Who is there to be afraid of? The only person I may put in that category is Swift. They may have some decent WRs and TEs but I think Goff is a bum and if we can bring any heat on Goff he's going to be making throws under pressure. Nothing to see here. 

Goff is no bum.  He's been a big part of taking a team to the SB, which is more than Wentz has done.  That's not hating on Carson, just a stated fact.  

Now...I don't believe he's a franchise guy.  I think he's proven that, and I think it's a safe bet the Lions are looking to draft a promising QB this offseason.  Our history - even under Ron (so far) - is playing down to the level of our competition.  We excel at that.  We'll see on Sunday if Ron has been able to finally flip the script.  If we're truly taking a step up this year, as Ron says he expects, then we should win this game.  But Goff is capable of beating our bad defense with the solid (if not great) weapons he has; he's certainly more capable than Lawrence is at this point in his career, and has more to work with.

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dude what. We barely beat the Jags and the Eagles barely beat the Lions.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

We are not the Eagles, and we let up after going up 14-3 against the Jags.  I am afraid.

Lions: 28

Commanders: 17

we did not let up 14-3 initially. I re-watched the game last night because I was at game on Sunday. We were driving up 14-3 they couldn't stop us and we were at midfield about to likely go up 17 or 21-3 going into halftime. Curtis Samuel has an unforced fumble allowing jags to get ball back. I know its easy to say we only won because of jags mistakes but you can also go in the other direction and say if not for our own unforced errors that game isn't ever close.

Lions have some talent on offense. Swift and St. Brown are up and coming potential studs at RB and WR and Hockenson is a solid TE. Their OL is also stout. Goff is a statue though, he's not the athlete that Lawrence is, so if we can generate the same kind of pressure we should be able to really wreck some havoc. But their OL is much stronger than the Jags.

Defensively though the Lions are mostly pretty much awful. Their highest rated player last week on D according to PFF was a 6th round rookie CB. We should be able to put up points at will barring stupid mistakes.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

we did not let up 14-3 initially. I re-watched the game last night because I was at game on Sunday. We were driving up 14-3 they couldn't stop us and we were at midfield about to likely go up 17 or 21-3 going into halftime. Curtis Samuel has an unforced fumble allowing jags to get ball back. I know its easy to say we only won because of jags mistakes but you can also go in the other direction and say if not for our own unforced errors that game isn't ever close.

Go to the 22 min mark and you will see it was a forced fumble. The defender got his hand in there and jar the ball lose. 

https://nbafullhd.com/75635-2/

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Go to the 22 min mark and you will see it was a forced fumble. The defender got his hand in there and jar the ball lose. 

https://nbafullhd.com/75635-2/

youre right. that's on me. either way should've been a ball he held on to and the original overall point still stands that if not for our own mistake we are likely up 21 or 17-3 going into the break. I saw somewhere this is 7th youngest roster in the league so hopefully the mistakes are something we can clean up going forward. 

• Thumb up 1

Is the Lions defense that bad or is the Eagles offense led by Jalen Hurts that good?  I see this game as an opportunity for the offense to put up points as long as Wentz limits his mistakes. The worry is more whether the defense can stop the Lions from keeping pace.

In past seasons this game is likely a loss, regardless of how each team looked on paper.  I am hoping this season is different.  

Washington seems to have a habit in playing mediocre against Detroit, however the current squad doesn't have much attachment to those past teams.  

I was more scared of Jacksonville than I am of Detroit.  Lawrence is much better than Goff and Jacksonville has a young talented defense.  But if you read Detroit's message boards their fans are not scared of us at all.  To them this is a definite win.  I predict Wentz builds on his confidence and has a big game. 

Commanders - 27

Detroit - 20

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Our CBs are anything but elite.  Not JAGs but the next tier up.  Fuller should be in the slot and WJ3 is just another overrated FA CB signing.  We gotta get some elite talent at CB next year.

The Lions have some very solid WRs, which we have, with this current secondary, made look much better than they should.  They will give us some problems, especially considering our LBs couldn't start for any other team, and JD keeps sliding down the slope towards Bustville.  

Our run defense is abysmal yet again.  Allowed 6.8 yards per rush and something like 128 yards against the Jaguars.  That's horrific.  If the Jaguars had even remotely committed to the run, they would have had a much easier time winning, even with the two easy TDs they botched.  Even the guys calling the game cited this.  It was straight up Steve Spurrier the way they just inexplicably refused to commit to something that was working so well.  The Lions can field an average run game and against us, it can easily look much better.  I can see the Lions exploiting this and keeping our offense, which looks competent now, off the field.  

Ron made some comments about being irked with the defensive scheme and having Davis matched up on a WR so often.  Don't underestimate that comment.  Coming from Ron, that's a huge "shots fired" comment towards JDR.  

Week 1 is always weird and yeah, it takes the first few games to see who is really who.  Schemes get on tape, allowing the DCs in the upcoming weeks to adjust to what you like to do.  So, it's not really until a few weeks in that you see if your DCs and OCs can counter-adjust to the adjustments that will be coming.

I can easily see both teams winning this game.  A lot like the Week 1 matchup.  If we're going to take a real step up this year, as Ron says we should, then you HAVE TO win this game.  You have to start separating your team from the lower tier teams.  Even if you win by 1 point.  You have to find a way to win against the Lions. 

WJ3 had a solid almost stellar game against the Jags.. and fuller is a feast or famine type of guy. You do not want him in the slot though, because he isn't the fastest CB.. you match him up with some sub 4 slot guys and he'll get burnt every time.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Dude what. We barely beat the Jags and the Eagles barely beat the Lions.

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's like saying the Seahawks are better than the Broncos. The Eagles Lions game wasn't remotely close

I have re-read this a bunch of times and have no idea how you made that analogy. What are you talking about?

Lions lost by three. Onside kick recovery could change the outcome as there were more than 3 minutes left. 

The winners won.