Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice: Thinking about switching phones Apple to Android

Larry

My iPhone X is failing.  (One problem is that the lightning connector is going bad.)  And I'm getting sick of Apple, and considering changing.  

I don't like the way they treat their customers.  The things that they do, to force people to keep buying a new phone every few years.  

I'm not a power phone user by any means.  I've installed maybe 10 apps on my phone?  Well, 10 that weren't mandated by work.  I send text messages.  I surf ES.  

I've supposedly synced my contacts list to my Google account, So in theory I wouldn't lose them.  (I assume I'll lose all of the conversations which I have never deleted once.  But not concerned about it.)  

I've got music on my phone.  But it's music that I own on CD.  Would I be able to use the same CDs to put the same music on a new Android?  

Any advice on a brand or feature or things I should be looking for?  

I also hate abusive, predatory, cell phone companies.  So I'll probably be going Cricket wireless prepaid.  

Advice?  

Samsung Galaxy J-7 Prime, got it in '16 for about $250 & I love it.  Got a case for $20 that's guaranteed for life & the good solid screen protector ( 2 for $7 on Amazon, I'm still on the first one).  I probably dropped it 20 times from my hospital bed a few years ago, still solid with no scratches, dents or anything.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me I just try to get a phone with the most storage with a nice display, my OnePlus7pro is already 3 years old and I see no reason to replace it yet. Still works fine but I wish I could replace the battery like I can with my old LG V20 that I use for music files, mostly in the car. I keep the LG in an otter case and it's basically bombproof.

My wife constantly runs out of storage on her iPhone. I've only used iPods so I know nothing about the newer proprietary Apple crap. I just know that they don't give you enough storage and they make you buy all kinds of stuff that you can download for free elsewhere. The old iPod from like 2004 had a 160gb hard drive in it! What happened?

I download all my music to my PC and then copy some over to my phone whenever I want to add or delete something. I got rid of my 1000+ cds years ago and just get flac (lossless) music files from Soulseek, which is still going strong after about 20 years.

I get a pretty good deal from T-Mobile and I don't know anything about cricket. I did use republic wireless but their current plans weren't any good the last time I checked. They used to give you unlimited for about 20 dollars but that all changed a few years ago unless you had a grandfathered plan, which isn't any good anymore anyway since it was 3g only.

25 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

My wife constantly runs out of storage on her iPhone. I've only used iPods so I know nothing about the newer proprietary Apple crap. I just know that they don't give you enough storage and they make you buy all kinds of stuff that you can download for free elsewhere. The old iPod from like 2004 had a 160gb hard drive in it! What happened?

I think their plan is to make it so you have to save all your stuff to the iCloud and then have to pay them extra fees for iCloud storage space.

• Like 1

I don’t think you will like the switch. Going from apple to android is like going from the city to the jungle. Good luck!

44 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

For me I just try to get a phone with the most storage with a nice display, my OnePlus7pro is already 3 years old and I see no reason to replace it yet. Still works fine but I wish I could replace the battery like I can with my old LG V20 that I use for music files, mostly in the car. I keep the LG in an otter case and it's basically bombproof.

I download all my music to my PC and then copy some over to my phone whenever I want to add or delete something. I got rid of my 1000+ cds years ago and just get flac (lossless) music files from Soulseek, which is still going strong after about 20 years.

I get a pretty good deal from T-Mobile and I don't know anything about cricket. I did use republic wireless but their current plans weren't any good the last time I checked. They used to give you unlimited for about 20 dollars but that all changed a few years ago unless you had a grandfathered plan, which isn't any good anymore anyway since it was 3g only.

Mine was filling up to so I looked at it seems like apple saves your apps on the cloud storage too, so if you go in there and delete all of that should save some space.

Um. I went the other direction because apple will release new major updates for their older phones. Android stops getting even minor updates after 6-18 months, depending on which device you get

i kept my iPhone 8 for 4 years and it was still getting major OS updates when it got smashed. 

so I have no idea what you’re talking about being forced to buy a new phone by apple, and how switching to google is going to fix that. 

• Like 1

I've never used an apple product. I have a note 10+ and am a $30 a month plan with Liberty, was ATT and it's perfect.

Should be able to get a used jailbroken android off ebay and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it again.

The lay away plans with upgrades is the biggest racket.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, China said:

I think their plan is to make it so you have to save all your stuff to the iCloud and then have to pay them extra fees for iCloud storage space.

Yep.

They pretend that nobody knows that you can get a 500Gb or 1Tb chip, which would easily fit inside the phone the same as their lame 64gb chip. Well maybe Apple users would rather pay monthly for what they could have for free. I don't see the point in constantly streaming your own stuff when you can just have it installed and working whether you have a good connection or not.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-cheap-android-phones

People ssee to like the A53 if you're looking for a budget phone and it'll get 4 years of updates. Currently 350 vs 450 for the Pixel 6a. Also you might be able to get the Samsung cheaper by trading in your iPhone. Came to 260 when I put it in on Samsung's website.

Edited by Cooked Crack

I'll admit that I'm bad about always wanting the new flashy thing. I made the complet switch to Apple from Android a couple years ago when I was doing a lot of photography work.  Got the new IPhone whatever Pro, IMac, and IPad Pro.  Realized I didn't like it as much as I thought and after a year or so, sold the iMac, and traded in the phone for the S22 Ultra.  I just traded in my IPad Pro for a Tab S8 Plus.  Definitely much happier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think you will like the switch. Going from apple to android is like going from the city to the jungle. Good luck!

Mine was filling up to so I looked at it seems like apple saves your apps on the cloud storage too, so if you go in there and delete all of that should save some space.

Its more like going from iphone to android is like going from a slide rule to a laptop

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Its more like going from iphone to android is like going from a slide rule to a laptop

I agree.  Apple is too strict about forcing you to do things "their way" while Android seems like you can better tweak things how you want to use them.

Just now, The Almighty Buzz said:

I agree.  Apple is too strict about forcing you to do things "their way" while Android seems like you can better tweak things how you want to use them.

Not to mention android gets new tech about 3 to 5 years before apple.

We were in a restaurant and the gen z kids behind the counter were in amazement that my wifes and my Samsung could charge other devices...like their iphone.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Does the S22 Ultra do that?  Never heard about that.

Yes. I never use it tho. Like I could see it being useful if my earbuds are dying and I didn't have access to a charger

25 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Not to mention android gets new tech about 3 to 5 years before apple.

People gonna go crazy when Apple releases a folding phone when others are on their 5th gen of the technology.

5 hours ago, tshile said:

so I have no idea what you’re talking about being forced to buy a new phone by apple,

I don't consider keeping a phone 4 years to be a symbol of longevity. One of my vehicles is a 2000 F150. 

I was forced out of my iPhone 1 (into my second, of three) because Apple wouldn't allow me to upgrade the OS. And therefore I couldn't upgrade or install apps. 

Apple intentionally made their batteries not replaceable, because consumer batteries typically last about 3 years, and they wanted you to have to buy a new phone every three years. 

And they are intentionally designing their hardware and software so that no one can maintain their phones except Apple, so they can gouge people on repairs, and force people to choose between being gouged, or buy a new phone. 

Things like that. 🙂

(Now, your point might be valid, too. It's possible that Android Land is worse. That's why I'm asking.)

Edited by Larry

Don't get a Pixel.  They are pieces of junk.

One thing I can say about Apple, their hardware at least holds up.  I'm pretty rough on my phones, and the problems with cracks, et al. were much worse when I had my Samsung.  Although one thing I hate, my iPhone S doesn't work with wireless charging.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

One thing I can say about Apple, their hardware at least holds up. 

I'm replacing my iPhone, because the lightning connector is failing. :) 

Youre right, though. I see a lot of people using cracked phone screens. 3 iPhones in 10 or more years, I've never had that problem. But I had assumed it was because I'm an Old Fart who's gentile on phones. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I don't consider keeping a phone 4 years to be a symbol of longevity. One of my vehicles is a 2000 F150. 

I was forced out of my iPhone 1 (into my second, of three) because Apple wouldn't allow me to upgrade the OS. And therefore I couldn't upgrade or install apps. 

Apple intentionally made their batteries not replaceable, because consumer batteries typically last about 3 years, and they wanted you to have to buy a new phone every three years. 

And they are intentionally designing their hardware and software so that no one can maintain their phones except Apple, so they can gouge people on repairs, and force people to choose between being gouged, or buy a new phone. 

Things like that. 🙂

(Now, your point might be valid, too. It's possible that Android Land is worse. That's why I'm asking.)

I spent years in android and it was worse. 

apple has repair kits you order. It requires a deposit for the tools but if you them back you get your money back. 

many devices, including laptops,  have the battery not replaceable. I guess I’ve just never had a problem with it. 

at some point the hardware has to be phased out. And early on it was more often than now. Early on they weren’t 1100$ phones either. 

I specifically switched cause I hated having an obsolete phone within a year or buying it. But good luck either way :cheers:

I am the lone hold out from apple in my family.  I just don't want to pay for everything under the sun.  I like my android phone being able to load what ever app, ringtone, etc.  I got questioned at our family reunion where I got starwars ringtones and alert sounds and how much I paid for them.  The answer is zero because I don't have an apple phone.  My phone is 3 year old and the pictures I take with it are still nearly as good as my wife's new iphone turns out.  My biggest grype with my g7thinq is that it is not a 5g phone.

If you're not a "power user" then why are you buying a new phone constantly?  I'm not sure what you mean about Apple "forcing" you to buy new phones.  I've been in the eco system since the iPhone 4 came out on Verizon and no one forced me to upgrade. 

I've only ever had an Android tablet and I simply don't like the OS compared to iOS.  Sure it's all personal preference but it's just not for me.  It just feels clunky in comparison to iOS.  Google has never been known for great UX anyways though.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, SkinsFTW said:

Yep.

They pretend that nobody knows that you can get a 500Gb or 1Tb chip, which would easily fit inside the phone the same as their lame 64gb chip. Well maybe Apple users would rather pay monthly for what they could have for free. I don't see the point in constantly streaming your own stuff when you can just have it installed and working whether you have a good connection or not.

I'm not sure where you have been, but they have been offering 512gb and 1tb storage on iPhones for some time now.

19 hours ago, Larry said:

iPhone batteries are user replaceable.  I've replaced like 3 of them at this point.  I've also replaced screens.

Sure it's not like taking the battery pack off and just putting a new one, but it's not hard to do either.