Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

No.

He returned kicks in college. He didn't take handoffs and run between the tackles on a down to down basis.

I know he returned kickoffs (not punts) in college.  I just think Gibson has a confidence issue and i dont think special teams is returning kicks in high pressure situations is the place to put him to get that confidence back.  Also, holding on to the ball as a between the tackles runner or as a kick returner is one and the same.  If you have an issue holding it, it will be an issue in both places, in my view.

1 hour ago, Jbird7 said:

Those wanting to cut or trade AG, what are you going to do the first time McKiss, or BRob cough up the rock or go down with a "knock on wood" boo-boo?

Kinda nice having a 1000+ yd playmaker on the team, and if he turns our spec teams into something special, well now that would be special.

He has a place in the offense as well. Line him and BRob in the back field and release him into the flat while BRob blocks or creates diversion.

To hand him the ball and ask him to pound between the tackles is a waste.

The only trade to be considered is AG and Payne for Roquan straight up.

I dont want to do either with Gibson.  He's skilled and valuable, but the fumbling needs to be fixed.  Tiki Barber managed to do it.  Hold the ball high and tight--with two hands in traffic.  This is all about repetition.  Make him carry that ball around like in the Program and have teammates try to dislodge it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I think Gibby practicing returns is pretty much a guarantee that BRob is starting. Usually you don’t have a starter playing special teams. 

As for trading him, I would in a heartbeat. The only saving grace is that he’s on his rookie deal so he doesn’t cost much. No way we are resigning him. 

37 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

I know he returned kickoffs (not punts) in college.  I just think Gibson has a confidence issue and i dont think special teams is returning kicks in high pressure situations is the place to put him to get that confidence back.  Also, holding on to the ball as a between the tackles runner or as a kick returner is one and the same.  If you have an issue holding it, it will be an issue in both places, in my view.

I dont want to do either with Gibson.  He's skilled and valuable, but the fumbling needs to be fixed.  Tiki Barber managed to do it.  Hold the ball high and tight--with two hands in traffic.  This is all about repetition.  Make him carry that ball around like in the Program and have teammates try to dislodge it.

If you think ball security in between 6-8 diesel truck sized men and returning kicks with a bunch of 200 pounders spread out is the same difference I have some swamp land in Florida for sale.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If you think ball security in between 6-8 diesel truck sized men and returning kicks with a bunch of 200 pounders spread out is the same difference I have some swamp land in Florida for sale.

Well that would make sense since Florida is a swamp. I believe you might want to try and sell oceanfront property in Arizona next time you want to make a point. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Well that would make sense since Florida is a swamp. I believe you might want to try and sell oceanfront property in Arizona next time you want to make a point. 

You’re aware that the phrasing means directly on the swamp, right? 

I’m sure you do. But just want to make sure.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Gibson is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Talk of cutting him or trading him is silly. Put him in a better position to succeed and let him make plays. I still think he can help us win games.

Dude got benched for fumbling a few times last year and immediately this year. He can be dynamic in a couple ways. I think the trade talk is fair game.

He was the only 1,000 yard rusher in the NFC last year though.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Ironically this demotion may actually wind up being a promotion for him because he gets to show what he can actually do rather than continually try to be a square that has to fit in a round hole.

Except the amount of returns he's gonna get in a game will be minimal.  Maybe he gets 2-3 returnable kicks in a game.  

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm still a bit baffled at how a team drafted a college WR who occasionally ran on gadget plays, immediately forced him into an every down between the tackles running back role in the NFL, and then are consistently surprised when the results aren't optimal.

He wasnt much of a wide receiver either.  He only had 11 more catches than he did carries in college.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Except the amount of returns he's gonna get in a game will be minimal.  Maybe he gets 2-3 returnable kicks in a game.  

Yeah it’s hardly a promotion being sent to return kicks instead of being a feature back. Interesting situation to watch. If the coaches generally don’t trust him with the ball he’s in trouble.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah it’s hardly a promotion being sent to return kicks instead of being a feature back. Interesting situation to watch. If the coaches generally don’t trust him with the ball he’s in trouble.

I think you both missed the point. 

If he is returning kicks, if he wins that job that means they can also use him more dynamically on offense because he’s not being smashed into a wall endlessly.

If he produces in that role he’s got a much better shot of getting a payday in the league as a dynamic back than he does as a downhill runner. If you get a payday greater than that which you would have had, despite the lesser offensive duties, that would qualify as a promotion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

He wasnt much of a wide receiver either.  He only had 11 more catches than he did carries in college.  

Fair point, but he was listed as a WR and that's where he lined up much more often.

But I think the biggest thing for me is that he was almost never used as a between the tackles workhorse sort of back. His runs were mostly either gadget plays or outsize zone stretch runs from what I remember seeing (which admittedly wasn't a huge amount).

So bringing him into the NFL and suddenly expecting him to turn into a bell cow between the tackles bruiser was just plain dumb and I actually would have been more surprised if he didn't have any sort of fumbling issues.

IMO it keeps going back to trying to fit square pegs into round holes and coaches seemingly refusing to use a player to their clear strengths. Same thing with Jamin Davis. I have no clue if it's just hubris or they feel like they absolutely have to fill that other hole so they force a guy into a position where he's not really suited. But it's irritating as hell to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

Keep Gibson around simply because Samuels health is unknown 

I say we keep him:

1) We need more weapons, not less

2) Injuries happen and we need talent in case people get injured (see above)

3) He's on his rookie contract

4) We wouldn't get enough in a trade to make it worthwhile

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you both missed the point. 

No I get the premise of the point in what would be the most extreme best case scenario outcome for Gibson. I don’t see that a realistic outcome personally. So I’m sticking with it being a demotion.

Wasn’t Gibson like 6th in rushing yards last year? He’s made some big plays and churns out a lot of chunk yardage.

This has gotten dumb. He’s not going anywhere, nor should he. 

I love that he will become more of a complimentary piece and potentially will boost teams to make it more dynamic. But the he has no value and we should move on from him crowd I think is being a little reactionary. Are the fumbles a huge concern? Absolutely. Should he be an in between the tackles runner? Absolutely not. Should we be talking about him like he’s worthless to us and around the league? Nah.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1