Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post: Yumi Nu (Plus-Sized Model) On the Cover of 2022 SI Swimsuit Issue

One last thing, it seems to me SI has managed to go from one body image that most females cant naturally/healthily achieve and people complained about them promoting unhealthy body images to the other extreme without ever finding the middle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Read Brene Brown. She’s a well known thought leader, Social worker, professor at Houston University, published X books, conducted a lot of studies on shame. Has one of the top 3 Ted Talks ever (vulnerability). She also has another Ted Talk on shame.

Shes a shame and vulnerability researcher. And the research conflicts with your opinion.

I’m sure you can do whatever research her you want to get you to your conclusion.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And they also reserve the right to beat your ass for shaming them?

If they can get off there ass I guess…

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think there's a huge gulf between shaming and pointing out a health risk while still being supportive and encouraging. 

I agree, I said a little shaming. I don’t know where the line between just enough shame and too much shame is.

15 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

First, to be clear discrimination based on appearances happens.  And for decades (even maybe centuries now) obesity has been considered less attractive and so there is discrimination there that will affect things like wages and jobs.

From there in terms of work and earning, the difference between discrimination and hiring based on factoring stereotypes in hiring processes is difficult.

As even one of @Die Hard's links discussed obese people are more likely to miss work due to (obesity related) illnesses.

In addition, there does appear to be an association between IQ and obesity (even when you correct for things like race).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3813310/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19780990/

Now applied to any given two people that doesn't mean the non-obese person will miss less work and is smarter.

(Again, discrimination happens based on appearances.  And I am sure there are cases where an obese person was clearly the better job candidate and doesn't get the job because they are deemed less attractive.)

There is nothing here that is inconsistent with what I have been saying. 🙂

Obesity is a legitimate/valid discriminating factor. Among many other valid categories like gender, race, ethnicity, education, religion, politics, etc.

We all have our burdens, and that’s ultimately what helps to connect us. Remember the humanity.

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I agree, I said a little shaming. I don’t know where the line between just enough shame and too much shame is.

Because that line is determined by that other person…. not you. And every person has a different line…. and it can change moment to moment even (ie. due to circumstances).

It’s a strategy alright…. but not the most efficient or potent or sustainable.

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And they also reserve the right to beat your ass for shaming them?

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Most people don’t react very positively to shaming. Some people ‘fight’ (sympathetic responses) when they get stressed (triggered). 

Edited by Die Hard

I really don't care if you put a 600lb woman on the cover or a man with a mullet, wearing a thong. What I can't get is all the unauthentic sentiment towards all of it. You can put whatever on the cover, but why do I have to say "So beautiful!" everytime they do it? I don't care.

On a different note, I won't get into too much detail, but I hooked up with an overweight girl several years ago. Now, I do a lot of manual labor, so I'm not a bodybuilder, but I definitely in shape. When we took our clothes off, she made a comment about how skinny my legs were. People are always telling me how skinny I am, I'm not skinny at all. Now, I let it go, but in my mind all I could think was "I'm not skinny, you're just really fat". No real point to this story, just letting you all know I've done the sex. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If SI puts Lizzo on the cover, perhaps then we can start the conversation of whether or not it's 'glorifying obesity'.  This chick is tall and chubby.  If I were to just read some of the comments without seeing the pictures, I'd assume she's a beluga whale.

Right?  She's not huge, she's just a big girl.  5'11" is pretty darn tall. 

And I knew someone who would have followed her to the ends of the Earth. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's high time that average looking men are represented.  I don't want to see a guy with six pack abs and dinner plate pecs anymore with a full head of hair and a defined jaw line.  I want male models to be 45 pounds overweight with a beer gut and to look like they haven't done a push-up since middle school.  Their jaws should blend in nicely with their double chin and neck and they should all have male-pattern baldness. 

I'm OK with all of that, I've always wanted brains over brawn. 

And beach bodies are waaayyy overrated. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Because that line is determined by that other person…. not you.

If I opted to say something it would be determined by me. I don’t generally go around calling people fat asses mostly because I don’t care about how they live their life. But if I did, I would say something. Like go ride a bike or put down the slice. Something like that. 

12 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

On a different note, I won't get into too much detail, but I hooked up with an overweight girl several years ago. Now, I do a lot of manual labor, so I'm not a bodybuilder, but I definitely in shape. When we took our clothes off, she made a comment about how skinny my legs were. People are always telling me how skinny I am, I'm not skinny at all. Now, I let it go, but in my mind all I could think was "I'm not skinny, you're just really fat". No real point to this story, just letting you all know I've done the sex. 

Maybe it was juniors girth that made your legs look skinny 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

37 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If they can get off there ass I guess…

Yeah, because all fat people can't move or fight.

While we're at it, chinese folks can't drive, jewish people are cheap, etc.

27 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Most people don’t react very positively to shaming. Some people ‘fight’ (sympathetic responses) when they get stressed (triggered). 

My only point is I can't help but laugh at folks like CC talking about X people deserve to be shamed, knowing full well they wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to shame these people they say deserve it.  It's eerily similar to the way Magas act.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You made a low blow disgusting take on her looks, there's a million different ways to say that.

Low blow?  It's truth.  That's a 1-2 to the dome and a body shot.  Wait, she won't feel the body shot.

Wait, I don't understand something.  @Renegade7 thumps the bible but sticks up for women, and participates in discussions about finding the truths of the universe.  Hmmmmmmm........

• Thumb down 1

25 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If I opted to say something it would be determined by me. I don’t generally go around calling people fat asses mostly because I don’t care about how they live their life. But if I did, I would say something. Like go ride a bike or put down the slice. Something like that. 

Maybe it was juniors girth that made your legs look skinny 🤷‍♀️

She actually did say that...didn't think anyone here would actually believe me if I said that...

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

One last thing, it seems to me SI has managed to go from one body image that most females cant naturally/healthily achieve and people complained about them promoting unhealthy body images to the other extreme without ever finding the middle.

Yeah I find this a bit odd as well. Why not just have an "average body" swimsuit edition instead of either anorexic or obese?

18 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Low blow?  It's truth.  That's a 1-2 to the dome and a body shot.  Wait, she won't feel the body shot.

You are entitled to your opinion...

18 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Wait, I don't understand something.  @Renegade7 thumps the bible but sticks up for women, and participates in discussions about finding the truths of the universe.  Hmmmmmmm........

I've been open about my struggles and growth as person since I've been here and reserve the right to question everything instead of saying what I'm supposed to say. 

PM if you have a specific problem with that, because addressing the specifics in this post will get OT fast. People like Raphael Warnock give me hope, Catholic Church studying space helps as well.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I find this a bit odd as well. Why not just have an "average body" swimsuit edition instead of either anorexic or obese?

Who was anorexic on the cover?  They're all in shape.  The problem is that people think it's unattainable because nobody showed them the gym, the hills, the diet.  Who was anorexic?

Is that an insult to people who actually work their ****ing asses off for those bodies?

Anderson Silva was a skinny killer.  Skinny as hell.  I want to be like that, but it takes insane work - as frail as he looked.  Inspiring in the right way.

This is the wrong kind of inspiration.

The only thing I can take away from this is that suicidal fat women will feel inspired.  That, in itself, is a good thing.  However!!!

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Fat people should be shamed a little. It’s good for you to feel uncomfortable about something that reduces your quality of life and increases burden on society as a whole. 

I agree. Same with white people and hoes in general 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

They've got several body types (and ages) this year on different covers...whatever body type anyone thinks they should be promoting is probably in the issue lol.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You are entitled to your opinion...

I've been open about my struggles and growth as person since I've been here and reserve the right to question everything instead of saying what I'm supposed to say. 

PM if you have a specific problem with that, because addressing the specifics in this post will get OT fast. People like Raphael Warnock give me hope, Catholic Church studying space helps as well.

Interesting, I'll look him up.

4 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Who was anorexic on the cover?  They're all in shape.  The problem is that people think it's unattainable because nobody showed them the gym, the hills, the diet.  Who was anorexic?

Is that an insult to people who actually work their ****ing asses off for those bodies?

Anderson Silva was a skinny killer.  Skinny as hell.  I want to be like that, but it takes insane work - as frail as he looked.  Inspiring in the right way.

This is the wrong kind of inspiration.

The only thing I can take away from this is that suicidal fat women will feel inspired.  That, in itself, is a good thing.  However!!!

Are you drunk, bro? You've spent this thread swinging back and forth between rage posting, gibberish, victimhood, and trying to be funny.