Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

LT is a much larger need than anyone is letting on. Cost + ability with Leno is a concern. I don’t think he is the weak link on the line, but I think his cap hit is intrusive to correcting the OL issue. Not as bad as Wentz, of course. But part of it. The thing is, though, we have to pick our battles.

A replacement at RT can kick Cosmi to guard. So RT is important. But then the question of, “is Cosmi actually capable of staying healthy” comes into play. 

Center is a must. 

LG/LT are less necessary but may prove to be important (I’m not a fan of Leno against high end edges). I’m curious if we kept Leno if he could kick to the RT spot. Some guys can. Some can’t. Not sure which he is. His cost becomes less restrictive if moving him allows an on roster solution to RT/RG and allows us to go after a LT and C with the available resources.

Edited by KDawg

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

LT is a much larger need than anyone is letting on. Cost + ability with Leno is a concern. I don’t think he is the weak link on the line, but I think his cap hit is intrusive to correcting the OL issue. Not as bad as Wentz, of course. But part of it. The thing is, though, we have to pick our battles.

A replacement at RT can kick Cosmi to guard. So RT is important. But then the question of, “is Cosmi actually capable of staying healthy” comes into play. 

Center is a must. 

LG/LT are less necessary but may prove to be important (I’m not a fan of Leno against high end edges). I’m curious if we kept Leno if he could kick to the RT spot. Some guys can. Some can’t. Not sure which he is. His cost becomes less restrictive if moving him allows an on roster solution to RT/RG and allows us to go after a LT and C with the available resources.

Leno is the #18 LT in terms of AAV and will probably dip into the 20s after this offseason. If you take the guys on rookie deals out, he is on the low end of starting LT comp. His cap hit is not an issue and his contract is good value given he doesn’t miss games either.

Agreed on Cosmi. He is not a guy I would figure into long term plans if he can’t stay healthy next season. I worry he doesn’t have a body built for football. If you move him inside, it is much easier to fill his absence with competent backups than outside. We are lucky to have Lucas but he has missed time himself since he’s been here.

Cosmi inside also gives you some more depth because he can be your starting tackle option if you have a starter and Lucas down.

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Leno is the #18 LT in terms of AAV and will probably dip into the 20s after this offseason. If you take the guys on rookie deals out, he is on the low end of starting LT comp. His cap hit is not an issue and his contract is good value given he doesn’t miss games either.

Agreed on Cosmi. He is not a guy I would figure into long term plans if he can’t stay healthy next season. I worry he doesn’t have a body built for football. If you move him inside, it is much easier to fill his absence with competent backups than outside. We are lucky to have Lucas but he has missed time himself since he’s been here.

Cosmi inside also gives you some more depth because he can be your starting tackle option if you have a starter and Lucas down.

I think the role for Cosmi long term is to be one of the better 6th men in the league. 

Until he proves that he can stay healthy long term.

For OL I think its more important to have like 7-8 competent guys because its the one position where injuries can destroy you more than any other(besides QB). 7-8 competent guys is more important than having say one stud franchise LT and then a bunch of guys. Nowadays defenses move their best rushers around anyway, its not like before where guys only liend up against the blindside. Micah Parsons for example rushes from everywhere.

This is why I'm against drafting OL in round 1(unless its a slam dunk franchise LT type that is can't miss). The RoI on one individual OL isn't as high as say a CB or WR or Edge. But I wouldn't mind drafting a bunch from like rounds 2-4.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the role for Cosmi long term is to be one of the better 6th men in the league. 

Until he proves that he can stay healthy long term.

He is too talented to be a 6th man. The guy is a starter but you need to plan for him missing a lot of time and have good depth behind him

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, method man said:

He is too talented to be a 6th man. The guy is a starter but you need to plan for him missing a lot of time and have good depth behind him

I think that makes him a sixth man. The amount of games he plays vs. doesn’t is not very good. 

• Like 1

Anton Harrison is billed as the best RT in this draft by most of the mock drafters thus far albeit he played LT for Oklahoma

PFF takes him for us at our pick in the mock draft below.

Keim today alluded (stating the obvious) to expecting them to go to town on the O line this off season and reminded that they would have taken one of the top 3 tackles if they fell in the last draft at their pick.

I just watched one game of Harrison.  He actually reminds me some of Leno.  He mirror well, feisty in pass protection anchors decently. He's 315 pounds but his frame looks a bit small for the position.  He doesn't seem to be that strong on the move, he's mobile but he doesn't level dudes on the move for the most part.  Comes off to me very solid but doesn't blow me away. 

i like what i saw better from what I watched from Torrence at guard than I did for Harrison because Torrence at LT because to my eyes Tottence anchors better, Torrence to me is a rock in pass protection. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The game Cosmi first started at RG, I thought Paul started RT and got hurt. I could be wrong though.

I think Paul dressed a couple times, but I don't think he's played.

I don't remember where I saw it, sorry, but I think they see Paul like Charles... Can play T, but better inside. 

54 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

I think Paul dressed a couple times, but I don't think he's played.

I don't remember where I saw it, sorry, but I think they see Paul like Charles... Can play T, but better inside. 

Hope Paul is better than Charles.  If Charles couldn’t seize a guard spot this season, I don’t think he’ll work out here.  They’d save about $1M in cap space by cutting him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anton Harrison is billed as the best RT in this draft by most of the mock drafters thus far albeit he played LT for Oklahoma

PFF takes him for us at our pick in the mock draft below.

Keim today alluded (stating the obvious) to expecting them to go to town on the O line this off season and reminded that they would have taken one of the top 3 tackles if they fell in the last draft at their pick.

I just watched one game of Harrison.  He actually reminds me some of Leno.  He mirror well, feisty in pass protection anchors decently. He's 315 pounds but his frame looks a bit small for the position.  He doesn't seem to be that strong on the move, he's mobile but he doesn't level dudes on the move for the most part.  Comes off to me very solid but doesn't blow me away. 

i like what i saw better from what I watched from Torrence at guard than I did for Harrison because Torrence at LT because to my eyes Tottence anchors better, Torrence to me is a rock in pass protection. 

Anton had the best pass blocking grade but the worst run blocking grade per PFF on his line

He won’t be WR1 imo (I think at least Quentin Johnson is definitely better) but he is definitely good. May have some weird character red flags given comments the coaching staff made early in the season (implying he wasn’t being a team player or professional in his meeting attendance and such while recovering from his injury). He was in the doghouse for a little while, it was implied he was immature or needed an attitude adjustment. 

• Like 2

I missed their bowl game last night, but have been watching Tyree Wilson cut ups and they are pretty impressive.  He looks like a better version of Zach Harrison.  Definitely a legit 6'5/6'6 280 with super long arms and huge hands.  He's got the J.J. Watt build, but not that kind of explosiveness.  Looks even stronger than Jalen Carter to me and wouldn't be surprised if he's the strongest DL in the class.  You'll see cut ups where he destroys every single TE block in that game, and does it one handed a lot of the time.  Effortless, dominating functional power.  Causes fumbles and brings QBs and runners down even when he's blocked and falling out of the play just by sticking that mitt out and getting the slightest of contact.

First step looks slow and he's not twitchy, but he's got some closing/build up speed.  Excellent motor.  Does OK finding the football but it's not a high level trait with him, and I think those two reasons are part of why he's got so many tackles for a DL but not as many TFL's/sacks.

Looks like a top 15 prospect to me, and teams are going to want him because he profiles like a good rookie starter given his body and strength level.  So he probably won't slide into our range.  But if he does, he'd be a BPA candidate for us.