Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am not sure where Henson Hooker gets drafted after injuring his ACL but he definitely has the skill to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. He showed up in some very big games this year.

He is worth a flyer if he is still there in the 5th

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, method man said:

He is worth a flyer if he is still there in the 5th

Yeah that's about where I'm thinking for him too.  He'd have to redshirt next season and it could give us time to see what we have with Howell next year, and if we like Howell moving forward, then we are only out a fifth rounder.  Plus you need a back up QB.

58 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am not sure where Henson Hooker gets drafted after injuring his ACL but he definitely has the skill to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. He showed up in some very big games this year.

The thing about hooker that scares me is I feel a lot of his success was due to Heupel's scheme.   The offense did not have him making progressions, so his ability to navigate an NFL passing attack is a huge question mark.  He will turn 25 and he is coming off an ACL tear.  Considering how great of a season he just had, I'd bet he gets taken in middle rounds, but I'd rather address other needs at that juncture.  If he slips to 6th/7th, sure, but I don't see that happening.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

The thing about hooker that scares me is I feel a lot of his success was due to Heupel's scheme.   The offense did not have him making progressions, so his ability to navigate an NFL passing attack is a huge question mark.  He will turn 25 and he is coming off an ACL tear.  Considering how great of a season he just had, I'd bet he gets taken in middle rounds, but I'd rather address other needs at that juncture.  If he slips to 6th/7th, sure, but I don't see that happening.

Yeah his scheme is about as anti nfl as you can get 

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we're taking another late rounder, and I hope so, I'd like Haener. 

Haener to me is the Bailey Zappe of this draft. He is the guy who is going to be a longtime backup in the league who will outlast guys ahead of him like Richardson. High floor lower ceiling

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Hooker is already older than some of the top QBs in the league right now. I wouldn't have drafted him in the top 3 rounds even before his injury. Now? Maybe 7th at best.

By his second year in the league there’s a good chance he’s in the older half of the league 

7 hours ago, method man said:

Haener to me is the Bailey Zappe of this draft. He is the guy who is going to be a longtime backup in the league who will outlast guys ahead of him like Richardson. High floor lower ceiling

He's like an NFL version of Heinicke, which is great for a back up. Hoping Howell can become a starter eventually. But the 5th round is great for a guy like that.

9 hours ago, illone said:

Why?

Dude is 6-1, under 200 lbs...

Hard pass.

His size is likely the only reason he's not going in the first.  He's probably a hair taller than Howell, he can put on some weight.  Maybe then Bryce Young falls to our pick, too, if it was just about size.

Nagy is pretty good at calling it on QBs, some misses, but plenty of hits. 

But for me in short, I've watched him multiple times.  Ironically reminds me of another smaller stature QB, Heinicke, I think he's taller than him though but more accurate and with a stronger arm than Taylor but they both play in a similar style  So if I am throwing the dice on a dude in like the 4th-5th round, I'd roll the dice on him.

As to Hooker, bigger dude, I don't think he's going to the 5th round like some here think, I think the mocks, most of which I saw of him going in the 3rd sound about right.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Wentz/Carr, Howell, Haener QB room sounds great to me.

Sounds like a lot of waisted money to me and we lose a few good players because of it with nothing more in results. Or we cannot improve some areas of the team because of traded draft picks and salaries. The way I feel is Taylor, Howell, drafted QB or best rated low budget free agent QB.  No Wentz unless he wins a playoff game and no Carr period. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

Sounds like a lot of waisted money to me and we lose a few good players because of it with nothing more in results. Or we cannot improve some areas of the team because of traded draft picks and salaries. The way I feel is Taylor, Howell, drafted QB or best rated low budget free agent QB.  No Wentz unless he wins a playoff game and no Carr period. 

So you want to throw away next season already and go for a mid first round draft pick. Got it.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Add Jarrett Patterson/steve Avila and Zion Nelson day 2 and this offense is ready to explode.

I really really want a day 2 LBer like Noah Sewell, but if we attack offense the first 2 days, I'll be happy.

I am leaning toward Tipmann for a 3rd round center. Big guy with freaky short area quickness. Avila is not very athletic and Patterson is small.

4 hours ago, method man said:

I am leaning toward Tipmann for a 3rd round center. Big guy with freaky short area quickness. Avila is not very athletic and Patterson is small.

I was just pulling straws waiting for the doctor to come back into the room. :ols: 

I should have just said all Oline day 2.

Not a fan of this trend of players sitting out Bowl Games and Championship Games to prepare for the draft. What's the point of playing with your teammates all year and then leaving them hanging in the finale? It feels like this trend will start going into the regular season where eventually guys sit out as soon as they *think their draft stock is secure.

/grumpy rant 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Not a fan of this trend of players sitting out Bowl Games and Championship Games to prepare for the draft. What's the point of playing with your teammates all year and then leaving them hanging in the finale?

Tens of millions of dollars, possibly more? 🤔

Edited by Captain Wiggles

6 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Tens of millions of dollars, possibly more? 🤔

If the projected #1 and #2 overall pick can play tomorrow, everyone can. I get the risk, but you took the same risk all year long. It's just a personal pet peeve, though. I'm transitioning into my "back in my day" stage. 

• Thanks 1

It ruins the bowl games and basically turns them into spring exhibitions, but there is no incentive for potential first round picks to play in their bowls.  I like that Bresee did it though, even though he was hurting.  I think it does show good competitive character, but opting out doesn't show a lack of competitiveness.

• Thumb up 1