Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Brian Robinson RB Alabama

PCS

On 5/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, Zim489 said:

Not going to win any game with 10 points.

Loss in 2022 to SF they gave up 3.6 ypa

Loss in 2021 to TB they gave up 77 yards on 24 attempts for 3.2 ypa

Loss in 2020 to SF yes Run defense was abysmal but they also lost the TO battle 0-3. All 3 turnovers within their own 25. 

Loss in 2019 to ATL was 3.36 ypa. Also lost the TO battle 0-2

Loss in 2016 to Ari was 2.01 YPA. Again lost the TO battle

In the end the stats playout that TOs played far more of an issue than Run defense. 

Ultimately Run defense plays no bearing in sustained Win loss over time. Want a better run defense? Score more points. Theres little difference in running the ball for 3.75 yards vs 4.5. The issue becomes a problem when the other team can run the ball 25 times a game vs 17. The more points you score and efficiently score points the less teams run against you. 

Welcome to the analytically moving forward NFL.

Having poor run defense means losing time of possession and opportunities to score points. You can look at the stats, but watching the games tell the whole story. In key moments, the Packers defense couldn't get off the field. Last year Deebo closed out the playoff game running the ball, and Rodgers never got another opportunity. In the playoffs, where most of the QBs are able to come back on you, a strong running game is how you take the air out of the ball and take away their opportunity to beat you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2022 at 11:53 PM, Stadium-Armory said:

As the NFL pendulum swings, defenses have gotten faster/smaller. Maybe there's an edge to be found by using a large bruiser back.

I've wondered about this too. D. Henry is a decent back, not great IMO. I think he just benefits from being so much bigger than the smallish players preferred in today's pass happy NFL. Riggins was a great back, but his size vs. the opposition was a large part of his game and Gibbs and Co. used him perfectly. The only problem is you can't rely on a big back as the bread and butter of your offense nowadays. Unlike the Riggins era, you have to score more points now because the rules have been tilted so far toward allowing passing yardage. That means unless your defense is Stabby Lewis/Ed Reed era excellent, guys like Henry generally aren't going to get enough reps to really grind down a defense. Don't get me wrong. There are enough poor and marginal teams that you can win games and get to the playoffs with a team built around a big power runner. I'm just skeptical about the chances of getting to or winning a SB with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Derrick Henry is absolutely a great RB. It’s not just a size advantage he has, it’s the way he moves at that size. He has modern era acceleration and breakaway speed in a throwback body. But even then…he’s almost as big as OL were in the 80’s. He’s big and fast and instinctual in an almost unprecedented way. There have been guys with his skillset, arguably. They’re Hall of Famers. He’s a great RB. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah...not so sure about Henry being "decent". lol

Yeah his size is a huge plus for him, but that alone isn't enough. The speed and vision he has at that size is really impressive.

Nobody will mistake him for Barry Sanders or LaDainian Tomlinson as far as insane cuts and juking people out of their shoes, but that's not really Henry's game. His game is power, vision, and running through guys.

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah...not so sure about Henry being "decent". lol

Yeah his size is a huge plus for him, but that alone isn't enough. The speed and vision he has at that size is really impressive.

Nobody will mistake him for Barry Sanders or LaDainian Tomlinson as far as insane cuts and juking people out of their shoes, but that's not really Henry's game. His game is power, vision, and running through guys.

He runs a lot like Jim Brown. 

Jim Brown was 30 years before his time.  

big, fast, incredible vision.  Could run over you and past you.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You should watch him play some time.

Lol. I’ve watched him play quite a bit. Maybe my perception of “decent” is different than you guys. Yes, he’s good but the idea that he should be mentioned in the same breath as Jim Brown? Uh, no. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Lol. I’ve watched him play quite a bit. Maybe my perception of “decent” is different than you guys. Yes, he’s good but the idea that he should be mentioned in the same breath as Jim Brown? Uh, no. 

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

• Haha 2

Yeah you're definitely wildin out my guy. You don't just be a decent rb and lead the league in yardage breaking 2k. He wasn't used very much in his first few years which was crazy cause when he played he balled out. You acting like this dude isn't and hasn't been running for nearly 5ypc for multiple seasons and carried his teak in the playoffs when he was healthy. Decent is Gibson. Decent is Melvin Gordon. Decent is fournette. (Dang he was suppose to be the next great)..

• Like 3

I haven’t seen the stats but I would guess that the Titans had a significantly higher 3rd and short success rate than most.  That’s what Henry is worth.  How much better would this team be if they could consistently convert 3rd and short l?

28 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I haven’t seen the stats but I would guess that the Titans had a significantly higher 3rd and short success rate than most.  That’s what Henry is worth.  How much better would this team be if they could consistently convert 3rd and short l?

Dude consistently breaks 40 yard runs against 8 and 9 man boxes. Hes a little better than 3rd and short.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder who the last back the was better than Henry is. For us, I'd say Riggins and I'm not sure that he was better.

On our team or in general? I think you could make a case for Portis but we turned him into a power back when he was a special one cut guy. But he was so talented he made it work. But if I had to choose im taking Henry. A early denver Portis could be the choice tho depending on what I want tho. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

On our team or in general? I think you could make a case for Portis but we turned him into a power back when he was a special one cut guy. But he was so talented he made it work. But if I had to choose im taking Henry. A early denver Portis could be the choice tho depending on what I want tho. 

Portia was pretty good for a few years, but hes not remotely close to Henry's body of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Portia was pretty good for a few years, but hes not remotely close to Henry's body of work.

I think you're a little mistaking Portis and I love Henry. But Portis had 3k yards and 29 tds his first 2 seasons with Denver and 6k yards his first 4.  Henry is like 6.5k in his 6 years...now which that isn't necessarily his fault because he wasn't the full time starter but to say his body of work doesn't come remotely close is far fetched. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, redskinss said:

I wasn't overly impressed watching the Robinson highlights.

Hopefully he surprises me.

I like him because he's meant to change the pace from AG. He's not going to replace what AG is or does well, however he is a legit RB with a bruiser mentality that that group needs to take the running game up a notch. If used correctly that 1-2 punch can create a lot of problems for a defense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I like him because he's meant to change the pace from AG. He's not going to replace what AG is or does well, however he is a legit RB with a bruiser mentality that that group needs to take the running game up a notch. If used correctly that 1-2 punch can create a lot of problems for a defense.

A ToP hammer to wear out a defense and if he catches fire, you run him into the ground, pull 8 into the box and go long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I agree, he was brought in for that role, I just meant I wasn't overly impressed with him even in that role, he looked pretty slow to me even for a bruiser and I fear that in the nfl he'll look even slower. 

But I'm no evaluator of talent I certainly could be wrong and hope I am.

• Like 2