Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

Florida college student tracking Elon Musk’s jet doesn’t plan to stop

Always technically inclined, Sweeney was a freshman when he bypassed his high school’s network security to install games, confusing the IT staff and earning a trip to the office. He built a server in the closet of his childhood bedroom to control the family’s appliances.

Later in high school he learned to code. For fun, he bought a cheap, credit-card-sized computer called a Raspberry Pi and paired it with a small antenna on the roof of his parents’ home, tracking the paths of every plane within 100 miles.

Then 2020. Senior year suspended in pandemic lockdown, there was time to kill. Sitting beneath the photo of a Tesla sedan floating in orbit tacked to his bedroom wall, he programmed a Twitter account to automatically post the movements of a certain private jet, a Gulfstream G650ER.

More than a year later, in late November 2021, he was studying in his dorm at the University of Central Florida after midnight when he got a direct message.

“Can you take this down? It is a security risk.”

Elon Musk, founder of Tesla and SpaceX, worth $220 billion at Forbes’ last count, had discovered @elonjet.

Sweeney was freaking out a bit himself, showing friends his phone, telling his parents, all of them strategizing.

Nineteen hours later: “Yes I can but it’ll cost you a Model 3,” Sweeney wrote back, “only joking, unless?”

The undergrad corresponded with the billionaire for a few nervous days. It’s hard to pay attention in “Introduction to Engineering” when you’ve got a negotiation with a personal hero happening in your pocket.

Sweeney told Musk he meant no harm. Musk offered $5,000. Sweeney countered with $50,000. Then on Jan. 3 Musk said, “Doesn’t feel right to pay to shut this down” and blocked him.

“Billionaires, I guess, think they can have whatever they want,” Sweeney said. But a college kid in Florida who still borrows the family car has something at least a couple billionaires can’t.

Sweeney mostly got a kick out of the way Musk didn’t understand how he was able to track him. (Musk called air-traffic control “so primitive.”)

So how did he do it?

Click on the link for the full article

22 hours ago, China said:

Musk offered $5,000. Sweeney countered with $50,000.

My counter would have been $500,000.  If it's an actual security risk, it's worth $500k to anyone worth north of $10 billion much less $220 billion. If it's not an actual security risk, then **** off Elon. 

I also love when he comments on random internet culture, like when Technoblade died and he put out a rando tweet.  Like, is Elon Musk really into Minecraft culture in between equity deals and manipulating the crypto markets????

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Not just something he doesn't want but also something he's overpaying for by about $20 billion. 🤑

Relative to the amount I spent on groceries today, I think he'll have the same reaction.  Errrrggg.

Then move on.

I definitely don't belong on this thread without a team of moderates.  Go easy on me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Relative to the amount I spent on groceries today, I think he'll have the same reaction.  Errrrggg.

Then move on.

I definitely don't belong on this thread without a team of moderates.  Go easy on me.

Did you pay the grocer twice what your groceries were worth?

I'm no big tech investor butt I do know ya generally don't pay twice what something is worth and then expect to make a profit. His backers and advisors must be thrilled. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I'm no big tech investor butt I do know ya generally don't pay twice what something is worth and then expect to make a profit. His backers and advisors must be thrilled. 

Almost.

Thinking this is a statement he can afford.

He can definitely afford it. And even if he couldn’t he could get enough people to front him the money to buy it if he wanted too. 

no one here knows exactly what his motive was,  but I think it will be an interesting court case.

Remember when he said he was going to take Tesla private at 420 a share? 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He can definitely afford it. And even if he couldn’t he could get enough people to front him the money to buy it if he wanted too. 

no one here knows exactly what his motive was,  but I think it will be an interesting court case.

He wins because they ****ed up revealing information about propaganda bots.

17 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Many times investors do because they think the company will be worth more in the future. I think Elon ran into some bad timing with the market as a whole tanking as soon as he decided to buy Twitter, and remember, no one is smart enough to time the market

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

He wins because they ****ed up revealing information about propaganda bots.

Someone here linked to a rather convincing article that he gave up his rights to prudence when he agreed to buy the company a few weeks ago. I find it shocking that he would do this and get his lawyers (which wrote the deal) let him do this (especially if he did it just for attention which is what everyone here seems to think (I disagree)) but we will see…

For attention?  For ego?  This is why Musk does his thing?  Right?  Because he thinks he's the man.

He is out of the spotlight as much as possible for being the progressive Rhinohorn that he is.  He is extremely tactical as he speaks.  None of you would out-debate him without resorting to anger.

Again, this guy was GOD to the left 15 years ago.

Now, he's wanting to ruin your specifically-censored platform and he's the enemy.

What about electric cars!?!?!  Your former dream!?!?!?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll