Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

Russia ridicules idea that cosmonauts wore yellow in support of Ukraine

Russia's space agency on Saturday dismissed Western media reports suggesting Russian cosmonauts joining the International Space Station (ISS) had chosen to wear yellow suits with a blue trim in support of Ukraine.

"Sometimes yellow is just yellow," Roscosmos's press service said on its Telegram channel.

"The flight suits of the new crew are made in the colours of the emblem of the Bauman Moscow State Technical University, which all three cosmonauts graduated from ... To see the Ukrainian flag everywhere and in everything is crazy."

Untitled-design-72.png

Roscosmos Director-General Dmitry Rogozin was more acerbic, saying on his personal Telegram channel that Russian cosmonauts had no sympathy for Ukrainian nationalists.

In a live-streamed news conference from the ISS on Friday, veteran cosmonaut Oleg Artemyev, the mission commander, was asked about the suits.

"Every crew picks a colour that looks different. It was our turn to pick a colour," he said. "The truth is, we had accumulated a lot of yellow fabric, so we needed to use it up. That's why we had to wear yellow flight suits."

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

Russia throws untrained civilians from occupied Donbas into hot spots of its war in Ukraine

Nearly every man that Oleksii, a 24-year-old resident of Russian-occupied Khrestivka in Donetsk Oblast, knows – friends, school classmates, and former colleagues from a coal mine – has been illegally conscripted by Russian-controlled proxies.

None of them have served in the military before, he says. Yet many of them have been thrown into the hottest spots of Russia’s war against Ukraine. 

“These people have never even held a machine gun in their hands,” Oleksii told the Kyiv Independent.

In the weeks following Russia’s all-out war that began on Feb. 24, Russian-controlled militants escalated hostilities in Donbas, the partially-occupied region in eastern Ukraine in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts that was invaded by Russia in 2014.

Russia’s proxies wrongfully accused Ukraine’s Armed Forces of escalation, announced a demonstrative evacuation of women and children from Donbas to Russia and launched a mobilization campaign conscripting all men under 55.

Oleksii himself has managed to avoid mobilization by luck. When the campaign started, he was in Vinnytsia, a regional capital in central Ukraine. He arrived there to take exams at his school, Donetsk National University, where he is pursuing a master’s degree in computer sciences. The university relocated from Donetsk after Russia occupied it in 2014. 

His former colleagues from the Komsomolets Donbasu coal mine, however, have faced a different fate. Oleksii says that they were abducted by Russian-backed militants right from their workplaces and deployed to the southern front in Mariupol, a city in Donetsk Oblast that has seen some of the heaviest fighting since Feb. 24. 

The only friend of Oleksii who hasn’t yet been forcefully conscripted to the Russian army is 27-year-old Serhii. The Komsomolets Donbasu coal mine listed him as an “essential worker” and provided him with exemption from mobilization. 

The exemption expires in April, and Serhii isn’t certain whether the coal mine will prolong it.

When asked through Oleksii to speak on the record, Serhii declined. “I won’t speak to a journalist. No offense, mate. Today I’m at home, tomorrow they can take me away, and my mom and girlfriend will stay in Khrestivka and face issues,” he wrote in a text message to Oleksii, which the Kyiv Independent has seen.

Many locals are afraid of talking with Ukrainian or Western media. Many think that the Russian Federal Security Service will access their correspondence on social media platforms or listen in on their phone calls. 

Click on the link for the full article

50 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Was trying to figure out the symbolism of the 30 coins of Judah thrown by the Ukrainian guard. A person in the youtube comments said this:  "The guard is giving to the Belarus ambassador 30 silver coins, and he is saying it while giving them to him (”here are 30 silver coins”). It's a symbol of betrayal, in an analogy of Judah Iscariot receiving 30 coins of silver for his betrayal of Jesus"

• Thanks 1

Nice piece from the BBC about Anonymous:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60784526

The Anonymous hacktivist collective has been bombarding Russia with cyber-attacks since declaring "cyber war" on President Vladimir Putin in retaliation for the invasion of Ukraine. Several people operating under its banner spoke to the BBC about their motives, tactics and plans

Of all the cyber-attacks carried out since the Ukraine conflict started, an Anonymous hack on Russian TV networks stands out.

The hack was captured in a short video clip which shows normal programming interrupted with images of bombs exploding in Ukraine and soldiers talking about the horrors of the conflict.

The video began circulating on the 26 February and was shared by Anonymous social media accounts with millions of followers. "JUST IN: #Russian state TV channels have been hacked by #Anonymous to broadcast the truth about what happens in #Ukraine," one post read.

It quickly racked up millions of views.

Click on the link for full article

I can hear, and understand, the arguments that if we want Putin to pretend to be human, then we have to make withdrawal look better than nuclear war. 

You never want to create a situation where surrender is a worse choice than fighting. 

But, I also have to observe that the analogy I'm hearing is a scene where some would-be bank robbers are barricaded in a bank, and some civilian is telling the cops that if we want them to let the hostages go, then we have to be willing to give them the money and let them walk away free. 

Yes, "withdraw and we'll remove the sanctions instantly" does give Russia an incentive to withdraw. 

But so does "withdraw and we won't do to your country what you're doing to Ukraine". 

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

I can hear, and understand, the arguments that if we want Putin to pretend to be human, then we have to make withdrawal look better than nuclear war. 

You never want to create a situation where surrender is a worse choice than fighting. 

But, I also have to observe that the analogy I'm hearing is a scene where some would-be bank robbers are barricaded in a bank, and some civilian is telling the cops that if we want them to let the hostages go, then we have to be willing to give them the money and let them walk away free. 

Yes, "withdraw and we'll remove the sanctions instantly" does give Russia an incentive to withdraw. 

But so does "withdraw and we won't do to your country what you're doing to Ukraine". 

There’s a presupposition that Putin even cares about the average Russian citizen.

And assuming that Putin isn’t delusional.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Larry said:

I think we should tell them “withdraw and we’ll remove sanctions” and then, after they withdraw, impose even more sanctions and reinforce Ukraine.