Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Youngkin and friends.

Cooked Crack

Youngkin campaigns for LePage; Virginia Democratic leader calls it 'shameful'

Gov. Glenn Youngkin spoke at a Lewiston, Maine fundraiser Wednesday night for former Gov. Paul LePage hours after Virginia's House Minority Leader Don Scott Jr., D-Portsmouth, called Youngkin's appearance "shameful" because of LePage's history of inflammatory racial remarks.

Scott called LePage an "unabashed racist."

LePage is seeking to return to the Maine governor's office that he held from 2011-2019. Youngkin's PAC said it was a private event and did not release any prepared remarks. Politicians in both parties often hold private fundraisers.

LePage, a Republican, is trying to unseat Gov. Janet Mills, a Democrat who took office in 2019. LePage has a history of controversial racial statements, according to a list compiled by the Portland Press Herald.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/youngkin-campaigns-for-lepage-virginia-democratic-leader-calls-it-shameful/article_c0b76fe1-5cc9-5b7e-aa21-da71f746446c.html

CHESTER, Va. — Gov. Glenn Youngkin defended former Maine governor Paul LePage as a “unifying” force in politics while also denouncing his long history of racially inflammatory rhetoric on Thursday, one day after traveling to the Pine Tree State to headline a fundraiser for his fellow Republican. 

LePage, a two-term governor seeking to unseat Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D), grabbed national headlines for years with incendiary language, most notably with comments in 2016 about drug trafficking and race that led Maine legislators from both parties to publicly question the governor’s fitness to hold office. 

Youngkin to boost Maine’s LePage despite racially incendiary rhetoric  Ahead of his Wednesday evening trip to Lewiston, Maine, Youngkin claimed to be in the dark about LePage’s well-publicized comments, even as Virginia Democrats spent the 10 days leading up to it reprising what the Portland Press Herald called the former governor’s “greatest hits.” Those include calling people of color “the enemy” and saying drug traffickers passing through Maine often “impregnate a young White girl.” 

Back in Virginia on Thursday, Youngkin denounced LePage’s comments while also suggesting they’d been slips of the tongue that do not reflect the man running a “unifying campaign about bringing Mainers together.”

A lot of people like to say that Youngkin is smart for straddling the fence on politics to win the governorship. What he did was pretty basic, if anything, it shows how dumb Virginians have become. However, Youngkin is the biggest fool of them all. He managed to trick his way to an election win, staying mum (for the most part) about Trump, abortion, LGBTQ rights only to completely reverse that? Right before the midterms? In a blue leaning state? With some of the most unpopular ideals in American history? He sees how cantankerous the abortion issue is and he not only takes that side, but he campaigns for even more extreme candidates nationwide? This man is a fool, I don't ever see him representing VA again, let alone our country.

On a side note, I love that he "fixed" the farm use tags issue. I still see "Farmers For Youngkin" signs and it cracks me up that these idiots fell for Glenn. They never seem to understand that these Youngkin types only see them as votes, he wouldn't even begin to understand the everyday problems of being a farmer. Well, thanks for paying your taxes, morons.

RICHMOND — It sounds like good news: Despite the intense challenges of the coronavirus pandemic, 89 percent of Virginia’s public K-12 schools are fully accredited, compared with 92 percent in the 2019-2020 school year. 

But Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R), who won the office last year by railing against extended school closures under Democrat Ralph Northam, greeted the accreditation findings that were announced this week with intense skepticism — and a call for scrapping the way Virginia evaluates schools. 

“This broken accountability system fails to provide a clear picture of the academic achievement and progress of our schools to parents, teachers, and local school divisions,” he said in a written statement issued Thursday evening, as he campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate in Kansas. 

Youngkin’s rationale for doubting the ratings: They are based on pass rates for state standardized tests known as Standards of Learning, or SOLs, and those scores fell last year. But his push for a new accreditation system is also part of his broader effort to declare that the state’s schools need a rescue. He’s combated school mask mandates, critical race theory, “divisive” lessons, liberal transgender policies and sexually explicit books assigned without a parent’s permission.

"Virginia schools are terrible and I can fix them..."

*report showing Virginia schools are actually really good

"We need to change how we evaluate schools then..."

Do I got that right so far?  This was inevitable the minute McAullife lost the narrative on who was best for Virginia schools during the campaigns...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tshile said:

It seems to odd to me, teachers (and by association I’ve always thought democrats) are adamantly against things like SOLs. Been hearing it since I was taking them….

now it’s a great measurement of the school system? 🙄

Son of teacher in VA, one of the biggest problems with standardized test is the amount of pressure to get kids to pass them versus understanding the material the tests are on. 

Product of Virginia public schools, not sure how different it is now as my little ones too little for school yet, but it turned the lead up to SOLs into a crash course on memorization, not teaching.

I don't see a problem with national or state level tests to gauge progress in attempts to increase scores individually and across the board... if that's actually what they were being used for.  If anything they used more to punish teachers then help students, let a couple kids fail the SOL in your class and see what happens to you...