Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheTeam980.com: U.S. military veterans share opinions on the name ‘Commanders’

TK

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-football-team/us-military-vets-share-opinions-on-commanders-wft-new-name?fbclid=IwAR2JXZ7tz619iagF0S4FLC7ddjSwDuEWmwgsH7oHaa_xcVCIN9d3AEXjugc

U.S. military veterans share opinions on the name ‘Commanders’

By Ben Krimmel and Reese Waters

What’s in a name?

That’s what owner Dan Snyder and the Washington Football Team brain trust have been trying to figure out for the past 19 months while looking for a permanent name for the franchise.

In announcing the process of conducting a “thorough review" of the football team's name, it was head coach Ron Rivera, on the job for just a few weeks in July 2020, who was the first to mention a possible military-tie in for the team’s new name: “This issue is of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans & our Military."

If the team switches to the Commanders – which appears to be the team’s new name – which is a name with an obvious head-nod to the U.S. military, what does that mean to people who have served in the U.S. military?

“I’ve been calling long enough, so you know I’ve been in the military. Been in for 16 years, served and went to Iraq, all that, still serving. I, as a 16-year vet, can not rally behind the Commanders, I’m sorry,” AP in Greenbelt told The Team 980’s Reese Waters.

“I’ve had good commanders, and I’ve had bad ones. And I’m just like, look, I do not need to be reminded about the military when I’ve been reminded about it for 16 years of my life,” AP continued. “Like one break I get from the military is watching sports, is being at home, sitting on my couch with a beer, or some Crown Royal or whatever, and watching sports. That’s where I get my release. That’s where I get my break, that’s where I’m not reminded about my service to this country.

“Not to say, I’m not a proud soldier, because I am, that’s why I’m still in. But I don’t want to be reminded about it with my sports team.”

AP added he loves the football team and will still “cheer for the team regardless of the name.”

David Harrison, an Army veteran of 20 years, says when he hears the word Commanders as a potential football team name, it doesn’t resonate with him.

“A commander is someone who sends other people to do the dirty work, the fighting, whatever it is that you want to call it,” Harrison said this week on The Team 980. “Not because of any negative characteristic, just because that’s the job.

“So when I look at, ‘the Washington Commanders take the field,’ I’m basically looking at a bunch of people who are going to now make somebody else do the fighting and the winning and that’s not what a football team is. [A football team is] the team in the trenches throwing the bombs, etc. etc. So it just doesn’t resonate with me as a military person.”

Harrison explains commanders are more management, than common soldier.

“You’re gonna find commanders in an office, and that’s just their role,” Harrison told Waters. “And commanders in the military have a very valuable position, they're critical to the infrastructure of everything that happens. And I've served with some really amazing commanders that I would go to war with every single day.

“But the bottom line is when you go to war with a commander, that commander is typically going to be sitting in an office where they have command and control of the entire mission and everything that’s going on, they have total oversight. They’re a manager, that’s what their role is.”

When asked if he could veto one name, Harrison was quick to answer: “It’s Commanders.”

But when asked what names they liked, both AP and Harrison, pointed to Red Tails as the name they liked.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

“But the bottom line is when you go to war with a commander, that commander is typically going to be sitting in an office where they have command and control of the entire mission and everything that’s going on, they have total oversight. They’re a manager, that’s what their role is.”

So basically the team's about to be a bunch of Pencil Neck Geeks? ✏️ 

675964.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Commanders is generic and utterly bland.  I can see why a colorless word has no resonance with anybody.  I would have rather they picked a historic military entity like Continentals or just picked an animal.  Washington Wolves was too easy and obvious I guess.

Oh well.  Titans, Raiders, Giants, Chargers, and Texans are also just as bad as Commanders.  And nothing is worse and less imaginative than Browns.  Everything about that brand sucks, name, logo, colors, uniforms and all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TK said:

“A commander is someone who sends other people to do the dirty work, the fighting, whatever it is that you want to call it,” Harrison said this week on The Team 980. “Not because of any negative characteristic, just because that’s the job.

“So when I look at, ‘the Washington Commanders take the field,’ I’m basically looking at a bunch of people who are going to now make somebody else do the fighting and the winning and that’s not what a football team is. [A football team is] the team in the trenches throwing the bombs, etc. etc. So it just doesn’t resonate with me as a military person.”

That's my biggest issue with Commanders. Probably the same with generals. Guess we'll find out in a few hours unless it has leaked and this is it.

Now, I will say I actually kind of don't mind the idea of Tank Commanders lol, but the logo would have to be 1970's Atari 2600 lol

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That's my biggest issue with Commanders. Probably the same with generals. Guess we'll find out in a few hours unless it has leaked and this is it.

Now, I will say I actually kind of don't mind the idea of Tank Commanders lol, but the logo would have to be 1970's Atari 2600 lol

There is helicopter footage in front of FedEx where the camera pans inside the team store and Commanders is plastered on a sign inside.

Unless that's photoshopped... it's official. 

Commanders is lame to the Nth degree.  Maybe they should go with Washington PFCs…

Private First Classes

Professional (HA!) Football Club

Professional Football Clownshow

Perpetual Fan Crushers

Pure F***ing Catastrophe 

The possibilities are endless. Dan could make a mint changing the meaning every few years. Call me marketing department!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There is helicopter footage in front of FedEx where the camera pans inside the team store and Commanders is plastered on a sign inside.

Unless that's photoshopped... it's official. 

I'll have to live with it then, I guess. It's not awful. It's just kinda there. 

I mean ya root for the troops not for the commanders... You support the troops. You **** about the brass ;)

I will say this,

"Hail to the Commanders" is out. It's got too much of a dictator vibe.

• Like 1

Just now, Burgold said:

I'll have to live with it then, I guess. It's not awful. It's just kinda there. 

I mean ya root for the troops not for the commanders... You support the troops. You **** about the brass ;)

That's kinda what those vets are saying...

Commanders are there for paper work, not the fighting...

Anybody with some kind of military background should know that...

Just now, Wildbunny said:

Heck, my Marine buddies used to call me a cake-eating civilian, and I know that!

The thought is now circling in my head. I really don't like Hail to the Commanders. I pray that doesn't become a thing.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Many "Commanders" actually do lead from the front, Company and Battery Commanders are inherently on the front lines. I don't view it as a slight to the troops. That said I'm not a fan of the name for my football team though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Many "Commanders" actually do lead from the front, Company and Battery Commanders are inherently on the front lines. I don't view it as a slight to the troops. That said I'm not a fan of the name for my football team though.

Battery Commanders would be a better name.

Could get a partnership with Duracell and slap an AA on the helmet. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Burgold said:

Then we could call the cheerleaders the Energizers. 

But being careful to avoid "Bunnies" due to the franchise's stance on women not having any rights.

This franchise is disgusting.

I don't agree with everything Rivera does as a coach, but thankfully we have him to help fix this cesspool. A good man with respect can do a lot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But being careful to avoid "Bunnies" due to the franchise's stance on women not having any rights.

This franchise is disgusting.

I don't agree with everything Rivera does as a coach, but thankfully we have him to help fix this cesspool. A good man with respect can do a lot. 

I hope your right but that's a monumental task for one man whos employment is at the whim of Snyder.