Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheTeam980.com: U.S. military veterans share opinions on the name ‘Commanders’

TK

Commanders means different things to different people.  (1). It an officer rank in the US Navy (O-5) (2). It’s a designated position of authority I.e Wing Commander, Group Commander, Squadron Commanders, etc.  I’ve read above the Commanders don’t fight, they stay in the rear and plan and control.  While there is certainly a command staff with that responsibility, at least in the USAF our commanders lead our troops into battle.  Having been a Sq and Gp Commander it certainly doesn’t have a negative connotation to me, but it is not inspiring either.  I would have preferred several other names, but I’m glad it’s done.  If this team wins it won’t matter, keep losing and everything gets criticized.  I do know without a doubt this will have zero effect on wether they win or lose.  As far as fan support, win and the fans will be back.

• Like 6

I dont know why, but I held out a glimmer of hope that Snyder was leading an elaborate ruse with those helicopter spy flights and NIKE leaks of that DC Commanders shirt...  and THEN he'd spring something fresh that the fans would really like.

But Dan's just not that savvy, sophisticated, or smart... and he doesnt give AF about serving us fans.

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

They picked it because they figured if it’s military no one will dare criticize it.  They knew any other name they were open season.  This wasn’t about honoring.  It was about dodging. 

Snyder picked it to get a large piece of the military advertising budget. Guaranteed revenue stream every season. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Snyder picked it to get a large piece of the military advertising budget. Guaranteed revenue stream every season. 

Why would that happens?

Is the army forced to give money to teams named Commanders or something?

I seriously don't get the reasoning here.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Why would that happens?

Is the army forced to give money to teams named Commanders or something?

I seriously don't get the reasoning here.

Military theme = Military dollars.

You don't think the military will want to capitalize on the advertising power of the NFL? They've been paying the owners for years already to do the pregame and halftime shows. Why would they not embrace a team with a obvious military theme/brand? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clietas said:

You don't think the military will want to capitalize on the advertising power of the NFL? They've been paying the owners for years already to do the pregame and halftime shows. Why would they not embrace a team with a obvious military theme/brand? 

Why isn't there more teams with military name then?

• Like 1

Just listened to Eagles radio on WIP radio 94FM and they criticized Snyder and the name selection.  They did a parody using the name with the old Redskins fight song.

They said as long as Snyder is the owner the Eagles can ignore the Washington team.  I would have preferred keeping WFT name.  The WIP radio people said they

should have kept WFT because it was unique.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just listened to Eagles radio on WIP radio 94FM and they criticized Snyder and the name selection.  They did a parody using the name with the old Redskins fight song.

They said as long as Snyder is the owner the Eagles can ignore the Washington team.  I would have preferred keeping WFT name.  The WIP radio people said they

I've heard from friends, who aren't WFT fans, and they said the same thing, why didn't they just keep the WFT name, that was pretty cool and unique in sports? 

Long live The Football Team.....watch the Chiefs adopt that as their new name and everyone will love it; The Kansas City Football Team

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

By the way, my name change would've been "Washington Veterans"".....honoring those that served and in some cases gave their life. "Vets" for short......

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 6:02 AM, KDawg said:

But being careful to avoid "Bunnies" due to the franchise's stance on women not having any rights.

This franchise is disgusting.

I don't agree with everything Rivera does as a coach, but thankfully we have him to help fix this cesspool. A good man with respect can do a lot. 

Dare I say, he’s a Commander! 

On 2/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, clietas said:

Their record?

• Haha 1

WOW

they **** everything up

they didn’t even workshop this with military people 

HAHAHAHAHA

you know snyder was pumped. You know he was excited. You know he thought they did a good job. 

Even the military is crushing him 😂 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Their record?

I'm sure Snyders thinking is they'll still pay to advertise no matter how ****ty the season is. I still believe that's one of the reasons he wanted a military theme. I mean why else would a creature such as Snyder be so insistent on it? He didn't serve n doesn't come from a military family?  🤔

16 minutes ago, clietas said:

I'm sure Snyders thinking is they'll still pay to advertise no matter how ****ty the season is. I still believe that's one of the reasons he wanted a military theme. I mean why else would a creature such as Snyder be so insistent on it? He didn't serve n doesn't come from a military family?  🤔

I didn't realize Snyder "insisted" on it, but I frankly have only given this whole thing minimal attention (in line with what it deserves).

I think there are a lot of good reasons why a DC team could have a military theme.  The Pentagon is here, the Commander in Chief is here and like 130,000 active duty military are in the DMV.  I don't think anyone, even Snyder, would make this type of decision based on ad revenue from one source.  I think it's more likely, as some on here have said, that he thought a military theme was less subject to ridicule overall.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1