Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The LineBacker Thread- Looking for our Man in the Middle

Koolblue13

I think has to be second only to the QB situation and needs immediate attention. We missed in the draft last year at addressing the MLB, but I think Davis has a chance to be a very good Will backer.

Supposedly Holcomb wants to be that guy, which leaves us needing a SAM. I don't think that's a great idea, but it's probably best with the personel we have now.

Free agency looks thin, but the draft has some possible studs at MLB.

Our only two glaring holes on this team are the captains on both sides. QB & MLB. Figure this could be a place to discuss it.

• Like 1

Holcomb is definitely not a MLB. He'll make a decent SLB and I think Davis should project to be a decent WLB(though it sucks we basically wasted a year of his development forcing him into MLB).

Unfortunately if you want a stud MLB you typically have to draft one. Teams don't let em go. Look at last year's FA, all the good MLBs were instantly retained by their teams.

Someone like London Fletcher hitting FA is extremely rare.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Holcomb is definitely not a MLB. He'll make a decent SLB and I think Davis should project to be a decent WLB(though it sucks we basically wasted a year of his development forcing him into MLB).

Unfortunately if you want a stud MLB you typically have to draft one. Teams don't let em go. Look at last year's FA, all the good MLBs were instantly retained by their teams.

I don't see how playing MLB would waste his development. If anything it was a prime learning experience and the game should be so much more simplified for him now.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If the Seahawks detonate, how about Bobby Wagner?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

The challenge with these rookie MLBs is it takes them time to adjust. They may show some promise in year 1 but you don't typically start to see them start beasting until year 2 at the earliest and it may take longer. The good news is that it seems there are a ton of MLB options in this draft and between Lloyd, Harris, Smith and Muma, I would bet we can land at least one of these guys in the 2nd if that is the route we want to go. 

The best way to address MLB is to sign a guy to a short term deal like an Anthony Walker and have him battle it out with the rook

14 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Ron will want a vet and we’ll get Jermaine Carter from the Panthers. Took their starting MLB role over in 2021. From the local area too. Mid price FA, add another rookie to the group.

I thought you were on to something and got some more info...and I don't see it. 

In theory, makes a ton of sense. But, I think they look for a high-quality LB to complete the 7.

I'm still watching the LBs of the draft. 

13 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I thought you were on to something and got some more info...and I don't see it. 

In theory, makes a ton of sense. But, I think they look for a high-quality LB to complete the 7.

I'm still watching the LBs of the draft. 

Yeah he’s not a top FA prospect. I think we could take a calculated flyer on him though. Cap resource/space may dictate the move. If we spend big on a FA QB then the cap space goes. If we go lowers at QB we’ll have more space. But we can’t derail this to QBs.

MLB, we might also see some roster cuts that fall good for us.

52 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah he’s not a top FA prospect. I think we could take a calculated flyer on him though. Cap resource/space may dictate the move. If we spend big on a FA QB then the cap space goes. If we go lowers at QB we’ll have more space. But we can’t derail this to QBs.

MLB, we might also see some roster cuts that fall good for us.

Yeah, I get it. Find a McClain-like situation at MLB that actually ends up being good enough to hold down the position until you can draft someone. 

I'm just ready to put an end to it. Get a guy in the second round and maybe even trade up. Find a way to keep that pick this year and go for need like they always do at the top of the draft. 

You have to double down. 

Find a guy that makes Davis and Holcomb better by pushing them to the outside and taking over communication. 

And next it will be a top line FS to protect the secondary as they draft new corners. 

2022 - QB + MLB

2023 - DB + G/WR

2024 - OT + RB

• Like 1

Jordan Hicks is a name to watch. He is 30, so not a super long term option but still has plenty of juice. Cardinals want and drafted Zaven Collins in that roll and will have to decide on what to do about Hicks who was the best linebacker on that team this year. He would be an under the radar quality acquisition if released.

• Like 4

I assume we go heavy after a MLB in free agency. If it's not a premier, top of the line guy, then I could see us pairing a 1-2 year veteran deal with a rookie picked in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'm kind of looking toward FA to bring in MLB and DE depth on cheaper deals. The rest could be worked out in the draft, but it's all going to come down to how our resources shake out after a QB move. If we have Trubisky, Winston or Mariota on a cheap veteran deal and go into the draft needing to hit QB at #11 (or use picks to move up) then I would think we'd have plenty of $$ to address the defense, we just need some guys to shake loose.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, method man said:

The challenge with these rookie MLBs is it takes them time to adjust. They may show some promise in year 1 but you don't typically start to see them start beasting until year 2 at the earliest and it may take longer. The good news is that it seems there are a ton of MLB options in this draft and between Lloyd, Harris, Smith and Muma, I would bet we can land at least one of these guys in the 2nd if that is the route we want to go. 

The best way to address MLB is to sign a guy to a short term deal like an Anthony Walker and have him battle it out with the rook

The good news, if we draft a rook at MLB, is that Holcomb and Davis both have some experience there to help him out.  Not saying that would remove the learning curve, but it could perhaps reduce it a bit.

Regardless, I don’t see them going into the draft with a gaping hole there.  Either they go for a big name guy (tough to pull off), or they at least find a semi-capable one.

Edited by skinny21

59 minutes ago, Northskin said:

And Smith is doing OK

I think if Dean (like Smith) is in a scheme where the DTs occupy blockers, he will have no issue at MLB. The days of the Levon Kirkland thumper types are long gone.

No they're not. The athletes are. That's why lloyd is such a great pick.

Also, Allen is a top 5 pass rushing DT and Payne was just outside the top 10. Having them keep a LB clean makes no sense.