Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The LineBacker Thread- Looking for our Man in the Middle

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I want to love this FO.  I really do.  But the GM’s comments that the MLB may already be in the roster (Holcomb) seem misguided.

Dude seems born to be an outside linebacker.  

The draft is coming and MLB is clearly on our radar. Want them to tell everyone that we're drafting a LBer?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m pretty sure teams know who is targeting who. This whole misdirection thing is overstated.

I agree. I mean unless you do something really dumb like the Packers taking Jordan Love or basically every Raiders pick in the late Al Davis years, everyone kinda knows what everyone else is more or less gonna be doing.

The whole notion of misdirection is way overblown.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news on Collins? The way I look at it is, if we're going to be in a 4-2 D more often than not, then are we a better team with Collins, or without him?

I honestly think we should re-sign him, go with Swole and Davis/Mayo at LB, and draft a MLB with a mid-round pick.

Given that both RR and JDR were LBs, I don't think they've done a very good job addressing the position so far.

As of right now our LBs are;

Cole Holcomb: I was unimpressed to start with, but he's improving and may turn out to be good.

Jamin Davis: I'm on the fence with Davis. As a 1st round pick he's been disappointing, but I'm willing to give him another year.

David Mayo: I only really started noticing him towards the end of the season and he played OK/average.

Khaleke Hudson: I remember seeing him on the field, but don't recall him making a play.

Milo Eifler: I don't recall ever seeing him.

That's it. Not a group of LBs that are going to worry many OCs in the NFL. We have to get better in this position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Think T. Andersen can be our solution at both Mike and Buffalo Nick. He's that athletic.

Also would bet a lot of money that Leo Chenal is a pro bowler for whoever drafts him. Unfortunately unless we trade back I doubt we take him. 

Agreed on both points. On Andersen, he has a high football IQ. He has to to have played a bunch of positions. Football IQ and instincts are a must for both roles

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 7:30 AM, Rocky21 said:

I want to love this FO.  I really do.  But the GM’s comments that the MLB may already be in the roster (Holcomb) seem misguided.

Dude seems born to be an outside linebacker.  

I think things like this are what the GM is supposed to say. You put a good face on what you have, don't alienate or make the players on the roster or make them feel like they won't be given a chance, and at the same time look to upgrade.

Be pretty awful for a GM to say, "We suck at middle linebacker and all our players are losers. We're desperate. Mind you, Rivera has come close to saying that once or twice.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:47 PM, Warhead36 said:

I agree. I mean unless you do something really dumb like the Packers taking Jordan Love or basically every Raiders pick in the late Al Davis years, everyone kinda knows what everyone else is more or less gonna be doing.

The whole notion of misdirection is way overblown.

Well when it comes down to our team, we've got so many options and holes to fill that anything might be on the table...

This is where the drafting of Jamin Davis hurts. If he weren't drafted, the MLB spot would be wide open with the idea that Holcomb would man the other spot. However, with him here and dedicating a spot to the buffalo nickel, they almost have to force Holcomb to play MLB so that Davis can also stay on the field (because Holcomb would outsnap Davis at OLB in a meritocracy)

Jamin is going to improve.  If he has a desire to do so.  Coach him up.  A lot people look at the players, but I put a lot of stock on the roles of the coaches and especially position coaches.  

Again, the player has to welcome coaching and have a desire to improve.  I think Jamin is that type of person.  Plus he did not ask to be drafted that high.  If he is a bust, that is squarely on the FO.  The whole world was screaming JOK and we passed.  Happens, now coach him up!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Jamin is going to improve.  If he has a desire to do so.  Coach him up.  A lot people look at the players, but I put a lot of stock on the roles of the coaches and especially position coaches.  

Again, the player has to welcome coaching and have a desire to improve.  I think Jamin is that type of person.  Plus he did not ask to be drafted that high.  If he is a bust, that is squarely on the FO.  The whole world was screaming JOK and we passed.  Happens, now coach him up!!

• Haha 2