Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When We Were Great--The 30th Anniversary of The Greatest Team We've Ever Had.

Riggo#44

30 years ago today, the last iteration of the Hogs, Joe Gibbs penultimate season--we were one of the greatest teams ever. I was 15, I will never forget that team's utter dominance.

Season Stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1991.htm

Season Highlight Film: 

1991 America's Game: 

How many times were Redskins QBs sacked all season?

Nine Times GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

One request: Let's not turn this into a Snyder Bash thread--I'm all for a good Snyder Bash. Lets remember the good times here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Started my career at a job in DC that fall.  I could tell you in great detail where I watched all 16 games (and it was at about 8 or 9 different places).  Went to both playoff games.  Met Joe Gibbs at a book signing.  (He liked my tie and asked where I got it.)  So many other great personal memories of that year.  In fact, to this day, if I'm unable to sleep at night, my go-to move to relax is to bring up the many positive memories of that football season.  Works like a charm every time.

• Like 3

I was also 11, the first Super Bowl that I was old enough to know all the players, have watched every game that season, etc.

We moved from MD to WV in the fall of 1991, kicking and screaming.  But my mom still took the train in to DC for work every day.  She let me skip school the day of the parade to go to work with her.  My mom surely didn't have the money to blow, but she did anyways - got me damn near everything Super Bowl champion related that was for sale.  The Zubaz hat sticks out as the most memorable item.  Easily one of the greatest memories of my childhood with my mother who has since passed.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6

I was 1 year old at the time so I can say I saw the super bowl, but remember nothing. However, someone posted an excellent highlight series to YouTube (I am under the impression it’s gone or I would post it) which was game by game and showed the highlights for the other team as well, which showed the flow of games well. It really drove home how the skins just mauled teams, even very good ones. 

It’s always odd for me to go and watch the old times when the skins were dominate because I’m used to us being competitive at best (the few times it has happened in my lifetime).  Even if we turned things around I’m not sure I’d ever shake the perspective of us being an underdog or overachieving if we win.

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I was a kid it felt like we were Ali and we knew we were winning every game and if we didn't, it was because we fought another heavy weight champion.

Heh. Same. When they expanded the playoffs to include more teams I remember thinking, with this many teams how will the Redskins ever not make the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The only thing more incredible than only being sacked 9 times in 1 season, is the fact that 3 came in one game. The last one without our starters.

and 3 (or 4) of the 9 were by Reggie White. The all time greatest Defensive player. 

• Thanks 1

I was 11 at the time.  I remember during some of the playoffs I was selling jerky door to door to raise money for my science camp trip (6th grade week long "camping" trip at end of school year)  Going door to door during the playoffs was a great idea as certain houses would buy up a third of my supply on the spot because of having a house full of folks for the playoffs. 

At that time my only real knowledge of the team was based off of the 1991 season and everything my Dad had told me in the decade preceeding. 

I had no idea the next 30 years would end up the way they did.

• Sad 1

It still sickens me that we lost to Dallas that year. I have no doubt we'd have been the first 19-0 team in NFL history if we'd won that game like we should have, and there would be NO question that this was the greatest team of all time. 

But yeah, great year to be a Redskin fan. Bad year to stop sniffing glue. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Man what a year was working as a firefighter i remember i got a firefighter who was a Dallas fan to work my 24 hour shift so i could host a superbowl party he said he was so disappointed at the cowboys season that he didn't want to watch anymore football I now no that feeling

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

30 years ago today, the last iteration of the Hogs, Joe Gibbs penultimate season--we were one of the greatest teams ever. I was 15, I will never forget that team's utter dominance.

Season Stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1991.htm

Season Highlight Film: 

1991 America's Game: 

One request: Let's not turn this into a Snyder Bash thread--I'm all for a good Snyder Bash. Lets remember the good times here.

They gave up 9 sacks that season and only 6 or 7 going into the final throwaway, rest the starters finale in Philly. I was at that game with some Eagles friends. The Hogs were going for the fewest sacks allowed record in a season and the only thing the Eagles had to play for was not allowing that to happen in their stadium. 

The fact that Joe Jacoby is not in the HOF is absolutely criminal...it pisses me off every time I think about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those were some great times. Back then I don't remember all this buildup leading to the release of the schedule, but rather you'd be reading the hardcopy sports section of the Post and randomly see an article on the Redskins schedule release, start marking Ws and Ls, and invariably pencil in something in the 10-6 neighborhood.

And experiencing the pins and needles of a couple of the mid-season games as we strove to keep the undefeated season going. The second half comeback against the Giants. Watching with my hands over my ace as the Oilers Ian Howfield shanked the chippie. Then getting the treat of purchasing tickets from someone at face value for the Falcons game to see Ryp go off. Paradoxically these days I always make sure I'm watching the Skins if it's a game with any implications, but I was visiting grandma in NC and drove back to DC on Sunday, not really caring about stopping somewhere to watch them play the Steelers, as I was that confident they'd win. And winding back at RFK and paying $125 for a seat from a scalper, roughly four times face, for Dallas. Ugh!

The playoffs didn't have any of the signature plays of the earlier SB runs, but still the memories of seat cushions in the rain and then demolishing the Lions as popular sportscaster Glenn Brenner was on everyone's mind. Going to a SB party with everyone clapping after every play, and then driving down 66 honking horns and holding up Skins stuff against the window.

And this is supposed to be about the good times, but it does have to be mentioned how, after we scraped into the playoffs the next season and then Gibbs retired, how shockingly bad the 1993 team was. Go look at the scores after around the 3rd game. It was just brutal. And here we are.....

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

9 year old me saved every newspaper clipping (still have them) from the sports section after the games... I held on every minute of that year and have ever since. I wish someone would have told me this is the best its ever going to be. Maybe I would have saved myself some serious heartache over the past 30 years. 

• Like 1

...reading Tony K's bandwagon column in the Post.  I would take the little drawings and xerox them at 150% a couple of times and stick them on my door at work.  He would just write all this stuff about how great they were (tongue in cheek) and they would just get it done.....

WashingtonPost.com: Tony Kornheiser's Bandwagon

Thompson%2BRedskins%2BWP911217.jpg

Lately I have been watching 1991 highlights and Sean Taylor highlights to pass time and avoid the reality of the s-show that is the current franchise.

I've also started writing an update to the "Cranky Redskins Fan's Guide to Dan Snyder".  I will start a thread on this soon....please feel free to add on.

Here's the original from 2010:

The Cranky Redskins Fan's Guide to Dan Snyder - Washington City Paper

Edited by MarkB452
Added cartoon
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

9 year old me saved every newspaper clipping (still have them) from the sports section after the games... I held on every minute of that year and have ever since. I wish someone would have told me this is the best its ever going to be. Maybe I would have saved myself some serious heartache over the past 30 years. 

Those clippings surely have to include Tony Kornheiser's Bandwagon columns. Tony took an RV decked out in Bandwagon livery to Minneapolis for the SB.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

They gave up 9 sacks that season and only 6 or 7 going into the final throwaway, rest the starters finale in Philly. I was at that game with some Eagles friends. The Hogs were going for the fewest sacks allowed record in a season and the only thing the Eagles had to play for was not allowing that to happen in their stadium. 

The fact that Joe Jacoby is not in the HOF is absolutely criminal...it pisses me off every time I think about it.

Reggie got 2 in that game, right? Giving us 4 of the 9 I think. I know he had one in all three games.