Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When We Were Great--The 30th Anniversary of The Greatest Team We've Ever Had.

Riggo#44

10 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Started my career at a job in DC that fall.  I could tell you in great detail where I watched all 16 games (and it was at about 8 or 9 different places).  Went to both playoff games.  Met Joe Gibbs at a book signing.  (He liked my tie and asked where I got it.)  So many other great personal memories of that year.  In fact, to this day, if I'm unable to sleep at night, my go-to move to relax is to bring up the many positive memories of that football season.  Works like a charm every time.

just youtube old games from the Gibbs years and it brings back so much joy and appreciation for Gibbs, etc....I love watching our wins on the road especially and how calm Gibbs was.

• Like 5

I too was eleven years old. What a dominant team, in all facets. Mark was dropping bombs left and right to a trip of great wide receivers. Ernest Byner was so steady add then Irvin would hit the homerun. Monk, Clark, Sanders, Bostic, Lachey, Mann, Wilbur, Green. List just goes on. So many shut outs by the defense and just offensive firepower throughout.

What a team. Preseason my older sister became friends with Gary Clark. My sister was a 20 year old hooters server.  I was a dorky 18 year old kid.

Sat night before 1st game - Gary Called my sister and said "Hey -I got tickets for you to the game tomorrow.  Want to go? We can hang out after".  She said "no. But my brother would love to go" and handed me the phone.  To this day Ive never heard a more disappointed voice in a grown man (Gary Was a really good guy. So no judgement. Just stating a fact).

She ended up dating Chip Lohmiller on and off for most of that season.  

Add to the personal touch you had a DOMINATE team.

You had Tony Kornhisers "Bandwagon"

You had Shut Out city.

Was at the NFC championship game as well.  So nervous but 1st play - Sack Fumble.  

IT was a party.  

Small historical note.  The lions and the Redskins meet in the NFC championship that year.  IN the 30 years since, Only 2 NFC teams have not reached the NFC title game

Washington and Detroit.  :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tomwvr said:

1983 Super Bowl ruined my 16th birthday.

that in my opinion was the best redskins team ever. If they had won the super bowl they would be considered the greatest team in nfl history

Both losses during the season were by 1 point .

1983 had an offense that could score at will, a solid run D, but a suspect pass D. DG was just a rookie, and not having Tony Peters and Jeris White from the 82 team in the secondary hurt. And unfortunately they got destroyed in that SB. The 91 team just seemed more balanced. They only legit lost the one game...Gibbs called off the dogs at Philly.

• Thumb up 1

I was just a few months shy of 17 when this team won it all.  One of my best friends threw a Super Bowl party at his house.  Great memories.
Here are a few things I have from that season.  I have two of the commemorative Coke cans, both unopened.  I bought all three of the Super Bowl Championship plaques off of Ebay for $100 about 10 years ago.  The water bottle was a Burger King promotional.     

4DF21413-AE6E-49E1-866A-55D72DD6F288.jpeg

6EEE0AEA-3BBB-4330-B8C9-F6B3D87DADF8.jpeg

81D17A2F-A310-4EB0-BDCA-4E9C33FD7085.jpeg

200C63C3-EE55-45C0-8DA7-963B137AFA90.jpeg

Bought this from an EBay store called Green Bay Plaquers.  They have several Redskins related plaques in their store.  I have bought nearly all of them over the years.  Family company and they produce them.  

3AB5570A-5906-49BD-9FA9-07CB7633B85A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Awesome memories guys.

What I find most surprising to my OWN memory is the sheer speed our great SB teams had.

Those games on YT show those guys knew exactly what they were doing 99% of the time. Hard and fast. Relentless. Therefore, they won more often than not.

I have never seen this kind of play here after 1992. That 1993 season was so shocking because, even when most of our SB starters were still here, they all seemed so confused.

Heck, they still seem slow and confused to this day, ha!

On 1/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, tomwvr said:

1983 Super Bowl ruined my 16th birthday.

that in my opinion was the best redskins team ever. If they had won the super bowl they would be considered the greatest team in nfl history

Both losses during the season were by 1 point .

And both games included a missed fg late in game

2 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

And both games included a missed fg late in game

Moseley did miss a FG in the season opener against the Cowboys, but I don't think it was a last second one that would've won it, as was the case in the Packers game. The Cowboys stormed back from 23-3 down to lead 31-23 and I think we scored at the very end to make it 31-30 (no two-point conversion in the pros back then).

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Moseley did miss a FG in the season opener against the Cowboys, but I don't think it was a last second one that would've won it, as was the case in the Packers game. The Cowboys stormed back from 23-3 down to lead 31-23 and I think we scored at the very end to make it 31-30 (no two-point conversion in the pros back then).

Lohmiller.  Moseley was long gone by then.  Actually, he may have been kicking for Cleveland.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:07 AM, hail2skins said:

My Memory served me well!

Mosley missed a 39 yarder with 2 seconds left against green bay

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2019/12/07/game-to-remember-green-bay-packers-48-washington-redskins-47/?sh=220d66556a41

As for opener - you were right. But he did miss a 31 yarder with 9 mins left.  

Edited by TMK9973

For decades I had the same sentiment about the '91 team. However after seeing full game films for the first time in sometimes decades, if you put this team up against some of the greats, we matched just about all of them tooth n nail. But I feel the biggest wild card on that team was Rypien. Didn't complete above 60% of his passes despite being the least sacked QB that season, I know it was a different era, and he would have many moments that season that he would duplicate in '92 

Perfect example of Rypien was the Monday Night game vs Philly in week 5

Rypien alone had 4 turnovers this game, 2 fumbles and 2 bad picks, both which were avoidable and had little to do with Philly's defense, which to me is was one of the great defenses of all time that gets ignored. In this game we shutout a Philly team that lost Jim McMahon early to injury and had a QB in Pat Ryan who signed a week or so before. Sound familiar????

I think the '91 team could have taken any team into the 4th quarter and it would still be a game but I don't know if Rypien would have been good enough consistently to win games vs some of those great teams..