Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

On 8/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, FootballZombie said:

Surprised we could not keep Cole Kelly on the 90 a bit longer, but I suppose that meas they like what the are seeing from Howell

Or they just want a different PS squad developmental QB.  Maybe somebody gets cut that they liked more than Kelley all along but didn't get to sign the first time around.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Roquan Smith is sitting out camp wanting a new contract. We don't have a 2nd rounder hopefully, so it would probably cost us a 1rst, but we might be able to trade for him and dump a bunch of this years cap into a bonus and resign him. Dudes a stud and one of the best backers in the league. 

That would definitely be us selling out on 22' and taking ourselves out of the 23' QB draft though.

Barring us being in natural position to get one of the top guys, I think we may be out of the '23 first round QB stakes.

Wentz and Howell can be more than adequate. Obviously that can turn into a disaster. But as of this moment I'd think we will look elsewhere with our first. Roquan Smith would be a good get, but some of these LBs coming out next year are extremely intriguing and on rookie deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Barring us being in natural position to get one of the top guys, I think we may be out of the '23 first round QB stakes.

Wentz and Howell can be more than adequate. Obviously that can turn into a disaster. But as of this moment I'd think we will look elsewhere with our first. Roquan Smith would be a good get, but some of these LBs coming out next year are extremely intriguing and on rookie deals.

Outside of LB I would also consider OT.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Eh. We had elite OTs (top 1-4 in the league elite) for 20ish years and it didn't amount to anything. A good OT is actually better value than an elite one. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Eh. We had elite OTs (top 1-4 in the league elite) for 20ish years and it didn't amount to anything. A good OT is actually better value than an elite one. 

Understanding its a long way out and many things could happen, I'm thinking of where we need that immediate elite 1st rounder upgrade. Safety and CB come to mind but im intrigued to see what we have this year. You already mentioned the QB situation. WR appears addressed as does running back (again as long as what we have shows out). Beyond that, trading down would seem the thing to do (thinking we pick mid round again next year). Obviously way too early to put much stock into this.

Damn it Sip, you beat me again.

I was just talking about this again yesterday.

Would probably take our 1rst round pick, sinc hopefully we won't have a second rounder.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bears All-Pro LB Roquan Smith has requested a trade.
More frustrations:
— The backloaded offer, which wouldn’t make him the highest paid in actual salary, included proposed de-escalators that not a single player out of the 94 non-QB, $15M+ contracts has. He was offended.
— The deal would hurt the LB market as a whole.
  • Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Damn it Sip, you beat me again.

I was just talking about this again yesterday.

Would probably take our 1rst round pick, sinc hopefully we won't have a second rounder.

Wonder if a 2nd would do it because of his contract demands but i am not sure if we have one with the 2nd round conditional deal with the Colts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if a 2nd would do it because of his contract demands but i am not sure if we have one with the 2nd round conditional deal with the Colts. 

Yeah, hopefully that 2nd goes to the Colts. 

I don't think any fan of this team would have a problem using a 1rst on LBer in the draft next year, so I can definitely see the value in trading it for one of the best backers in the league.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, hopefully that 2nd goes to the Colts. 

I don't think any fan of this team would have a problem using a 1rst on LBer in the draft next year, so I can definitely see the value in trading it for one of the best backers in the league.

The quandary though is paying him mega money with all the other contracts coming up.   I loved him in college, I'd love to see him here.  But I can see how its complicated to make it fit both salary wise and draft pick wise.  

Also if they are hedging in their minds about Wentz with a rich QB draft coming up (at least rich in theory) trading their first rounder takes away the idea of hey if it doesn't work out, we can go get Will Levis or whomever to compete with Howell. 

PFF cap guy

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The quandary though is paying him mega money with all the other contracts coming up.   I loved him in college, I'd love to see him here.  But I can see how its complicated to make it fit both salary wise and draft pick wise.  

Also if they are hedging in their minds about Wentz with a rich QB draft coming up (at least rich in theory) trading their first rounder takes away the idea of hey if it doesn't work out, we can go get Will Levis or whomever to compete with Howell. 

Yeah, that's the same argument I was making about it yesterday. KDawg quoted it up above, but surprisingly he's good with Howell :ols:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He'd cost a 1st rounder and we'd have to make him the highest paid LB in the league.

Not sure if it's worth it. LBs just aren't as valuable in today's NFL.

Some are. Warner, Wagner and White all are worth the big bucks.

If our Line and Secondary are legit that good, putting Ro in the middle would make a huge difference.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If our Line and Secondary are legit that good, putting Ro in the middle would make a huge difference.

The ones that can cover are worth it.

But having to give up a 1st rounder AND make him the HIGHEST PAID at his position? You have to look at opportunity cost. 1st rounders can get you quality players for dirt cheap, and the $ we give to Smith means we potentially can't pay someone like Curl in a couple years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The ones that can cover are worth it.

But having to give up a 1st rounder AND make him the HIGHEST PAID at his position? You have to look at opportunity cost. 1st rounders can get you quality players for dirt cheap, and the $ we give to Smith means we potentially can't pay someone like Curl in a couple years.

True. Next year is Sweat, Fuller, Holcomb and Curl and that's if we don't resign Payne.

Cutting or restructuring Wentz will cover all of that though.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Warren Sharp has done a lot of research about paying off-ball LB’s and what a poor use of resources it is, it’s intriguing stuff so idk about that. One of his favorite examples of someone who shouldn’t have been paid and doesn’t impact the game anywhere near the level of his contract is actually Warner.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Personally, I’d look at most positions (including LB/OT).  DT if Payne leaves, WR (successor for Samuel), corner, Guard (successor for Turner/Norwell/Sweitzer), etc.  Heck, I’d consider RB as next year is Gibson’s contract year.

Big factor is where we pick of course.  Not interested in an early 1st round RB/G, but I’d consider them later in the 1st (like with the 32nd :))

Need to at least consider A LB move. Smith would be great but expensive. The guy from the falcons could be had very cheap probably a mid round pick.

LB this is a real problem for this team. We could not get off the field last year on 3rd down. This move could fix that. The one thing we did not do this year is add a LB we should look to make a move.

Edited by Redskins 2021