Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Payne and Terry will both be resigned. The talks have already started and there is no rush. We're focusing all of our efforts on the draft right now.

Stop panicking. Extensions happen in the summer. Relax.

I hear ya. But sorry I can’t help panicking. We do the same thing every time, and it ain’t good...

1- forgo trade at peak value

2- wait too long to offer extension 

3- embarrassing low ball offer finally comes

4- player rightfully ignores

5- desperation franchise tag ploy

6- lose player for next to nothing

I get that extensions happen in the summer, but that’s for normal teams. This team hasn’t proven to me they are able to execute at even a slightly competent level when it comes to resigning star players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

I hear ya. But sorry I can’t help panicking. We do the same thing every time, and it ain’t good...

I get that extensions happen in the summer, but that’s for normal teams. This team hasn’t proven to me they are able to execute at even a slightly competent level when it comes to resigning star players.

That’s a fair opinion.  We’ll see how this staff does.  As of now they’ve attempted two extensions for top guys - Allen they got a good deal on, Scherff they offered a big contract (though we don’t know about guarantees), franchised to buy more time and then he wound up walking.  Terry and Daron double the sample size, so we’ll see how it goes…

Actually, they extended Logan Thomas, Leno,and Roullier as well, though those were significantly smaller deals than the other 4 I mentioned.  Still, pretty good track record so far…

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgibbsfootball said:

Kinda like cousins, shreff huh? And you will say they didnt want to be here. How do we know terry wants to be here??

8 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

This is all battered Bruce Allen Syndrome. 

Ron offered to make Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL and thank god he didn't take it and left.

So, which very good to elite players have we had where the negotiations have been completely done under Ron? Jon Allen.

I get that some people still think Vinny is in charge of team building and Bruce is doing the negotiating, but that's not the case.

Terry and Payne are both getting resigned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thought we would look at this guy:

Eagles signed LB Kyzir White to a one-year, $5 million contract.

White had a breakout 2021 as a full-time starter, registering 144 tackles, seven TFLs, and two interceptions while playing 84% of defensive snaps. The Chargers played primarily out of their nickel package where White, a converted safety, excelled as an off-ball linebacker with coverage skills. White projects to start on the weak-side in Philly and should upgrade an Eagles defense that had just 16 takeaways last season. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

41 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Thought we would look at this guy:

Eagles signed LB Kyzir White to a one-year, $5 million contract.

White had a breakout 2021 as a full-time starter, registering 144 tackles, seven TFLs, and two interceptions while playing 84% of defensive snaps. The Chargers played primarily out of their nickel package where White, a converted safety, excelled as an off-ball linebacker with coverage skills. White projects to start on the weak-side in Philly and should upgrade an Eagles defense that had just 16 takeaways last season. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

Eagles are having a sneaky good offseason and heading into the draft loaded. If Hurts takes the next step they're gonna be a handful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The LB market has been picking up the past few days.   We can talk about drafting someone, but we need at least two LB's, so we had better sign a quality LB..

Honestly, at this stage we look asleep at the wheel. 

If neither Wagner nor Mathieu land on our roster I will seriously question our FO.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I never thought we'd even sniff around either.

No i thought we aim at the next tier down. But we haven’t done that either.....

So we must either be all in on a big fish or we really have stayed home....which seems a bizarre strategy after trading picks away for a QB....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

No i thought we aim at the next tier down. But we haven’t done that either.....

So we must either be all in on a big fish or we really have stayed home....which seems a bizarre strategy after trading picks away for a QB....

I'm assuming LBer is getting addressed in the draft and that was always the plan, cause there is a **** load of good ones. I think they want to keep the continuity in the secondary too. They played well to end the year. 

I’ve heard some concerning things from Keim spots on different podcasts about how our FO has been slow on the draw in FA and it may have cost us re-signing Settle. Who knows if that molasses like quality is carrying over in other aspects. 

The most charitable way I can look at that news is maybe their slowed by having to reshuffle their strategy to accommodate Wentz’s cap hit.

Feeling a bit nervous with the FO approach to FA.. 

I can’t believe we haven’t signed a LB… even if we love one in the draft, experience and depth is badly needed…

if they miss on the draft then there’s going to be serious questions asked again !!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

The most charitable way I can look at that news is maybe their slowed by having to reshuffle their strategy to accommodate Wentz’s cap hit.

that’s the excuse Rivera used but it’s BS, we have so many ways to sort cap out.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm assuming LBer is getting addressed in the draft and that was always the plan, cause there is a **** load of good ones. I think they want to keep the continuity in the secondary too. They played well to end the year. 

I’m trying to stay open minded...but no linebacker, McCain the FS bring back. No corner help. Really?

When the draft looks like WR and QB early. Anyway, we aren’t in bad shape, but I think we should be in bette shape to be honest...

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

that’s the excuse Rivera used but it’s BS, we have so many ways to sort cap out.

I’m trying to stay open minded...but no linebacker, McCain the FS bring back. No corner help. Really?

When the draft looks like WR and QB early. Anyway, we aren’t in bad shape, but I think we should be in bette shape to be honest...

I don’t think we are able to pull in guys. Lots of agents are going to recommend different locations than DC if there is even similar interest. And players know what this franchise is. 

One of the biggest attractions to a FA is the facility. If they’ve played somewhere that their owner put in some money towards facilities the second they step foot on the Command Post they are going to be grossly underwhelmed. 

people can say we shouldn’t talk about Snyder but he is a dark cloud that is constantly hovering. Plus our trainer being involved in a scandal. Plus Snyder’s own scandal. Plus we’re not winning. 

We just aren’t a destination. We very well may have been in on a lot of these guys. I don’t see Rivera as a “sit on his hands” guy. Something is stopping us from getting these guys. My guess? Combination of the above.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

If neither Wagner nor Mathieu land on our roster I will seriously question our FO.

Bold of you to assume any high-caliber FA's want to play here.

I think it's relatively common knowledge that premier FA's don't view Washington as an attractive option.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we are able to pull in guys. Lots of agents are going to recommend different locations than DC if there is even similar interest. And players know what this franchise is. 

One of the biggest attractions to a FA is the facility. If they’ve played somewhere that their owner put in some money towards facilities the second they step foot on the Command Post they are going to be grossly underwhelmed. 

people can say we shouldn’t talk about Snyder but he is a dark cloud that is constantly hovering. Plus our trainer being involved in a scandal. Plus Snyder’s own scandal. Plus we’re not winning. 

We just aren’t a destination. We very well may have been in on a lot of these guys. I don’t see Rivera as a “sit on his hands” guy. Something is stopping us from getting these guys. My guess? Combination of the above.

Facilities are a huge deal and it’s an embarrassment that ours aren’t better. I wonder if new facilities will be part of the new stadium deal. 

• Like 1

Takes like some of the ones above are exactly the mindsets that are fostered and supported when you repeatedly only resign your own guys, and go after your own coached players in year 3 of a regime. It bolsters the idea that it is more a necessity, than a curiosity. That we are mostly unable to go a different route.

Even if its fringe roster guys just to fill out the 90, we badly need some new, non-associated blood around here.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is all battered Bruce Allen Syndrome. 

Ron offered to make Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL and thank god he didn't take it and left.

So, which very good to elite players have we had where the negotiations have been completely done under Ron? Jon Allen.

I get that some people still think Vinny is in charge of team building and Bruce is doing the negotiating, but that's not the case.

Terry and Payne are both getting resigned.

Well it might as well be Vinny and Bruce. But you give them too much credit in my opinion. To me they were just stooges for Snyder, and it’s going to take a while before I believe the current crop of “decision-makers“ is any different. I’ve heard all of the arguments about the extent to which Snyder is and has been meddling. But I have no doubt that when it comes to these high profile players negotiations, his fingerprints are all over the decision making… And it shows. So I have no reason to believe things will turn out differently for this regime, but, still I WANT to believe so hopefully you’re right and we sign both! Also, the Sherff thing has yet to play out...but even it it works out I’ll still say he should’ve been traded or extended 2 yrs ago.