Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

This from January reference Terry McLaurin, nobody outside the fanbase is panicking.  I really believe he'll get his new contract but it's not likely to come until after June when we get some money back on Collins or see a few mini camps with Wentz and decide to restructure his deal.

https://theathletic.com/3063200/2022/01/10/washington-wr-terry-mclaurin-not-sweating-contract-talks-we-just-have-to-see-what-the-future-holds/

ASHBURN, Va. — Terry McLaurin knows there’s a significant decision looming. Many within the ever-dwindling Washington Football Team fan base are freaked out accordingly.

The electric wide receiver and two-time team captain is eligible for a contract extension this offseason. Now that his third season is over, negotiations can begin immediately. The fear: What if McLaurin, arguably Washington’s best player, decides to wait and enter unrestricted free agency in 2023?

“I wouldn’t say (extension buzz is) necessarily weird, because it’s like, I’m going into my fourth year,” McLaurin said Monday during a phone conversation with The Athletic. “So it’s obviously a possible question, but I’m under contract for another year. So I don’t think, as long as everybody wants me back, I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere, as of next year.”

This is where those keenly aware of the franchise’s sordid struggles, inability to land a steady hand at quarterback and lack of a winning record since drafting McLaurin in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft start panicking. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I'm not sure this team learned anything from the Scherff timeline.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tag him. They seem to really value those compensatory 3rd round picks.

I guess they did reportedly offer Amari Cooper 5 years 110m, however I often refer to that as a hollow offer as it only included 20mil gtd and he was all but nailed on to stay where he was anyway.

So the question becomes, Is Terry worth 5 years 125mil with 75mil fully gtd ? I’m not sure we’ve gone all in to win anytime soon, so what’s the point.....?? 

And before anyone piles in, I’m not pushing a trade, love Terry Mc, but are we at the right point to pay a WR that money ? not sure.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Wasn't Docston the dreaded 2 #2s at WR draft?  him and the Comb Kelly 

There are absolutely "safe" WRs in the 1st. Olave will be a really good NFL receiver, its whether or not you want to take a risk with some of the other options

London = Can he get any separation at the NFL level... ton of contested catches in college, but you want your receivers to get a little open right? 

Williams = is he the same after that ACL injury 

No, Doctson was a first round pick. He is actually exhibit a of why I am leery of drafting a first rd receiver. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

No, Doctson was a first round pick. He is actually exhibit a of why I am leery of drafting a first rd receiver. 

I think a lot has to do with system they are in. None of those Spurrier WR from the Florida days succeeded. Anyone from TCU and that offends, we should have known. 

You guys are tripping. Terry is going to be extended. He’s number one priority. There couldn’t be a better example of a locker room leader that produces on the field. There couldn’t be a better example of a Ron culture guy. Ron will see to it that the extension happens. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZarG3 said:

Drafting a #2 should be slotted for the second or third round. You don't take a WR in the first round and slot them in a #2 role. The history of this team taking first round WRs is atrocious, the last time we had a great receiver that we picked in the first round was in 1980 (Art Monk). In 40 years we really haven't gotten a good WR from the first round.

Desmond Howard, 1992, relative bust

Michael Westbrook, 1995, never reached his potential and for where he was picked we lost on that one.

Rod Gardner, 2001, again another first round WR that we selected that never reached his potential

Need I really mention Josh Doctson?

At the end of the day this team is not good at drafting first round wide receivers, and when we do we don't know what to do with them and if they get drafted here their career dies very quickly. So yeah.. I am a little gun shy at taking a WR in the first round.

Cause the 2nd round WRs have been better? Even the thirds outside of Terry McLaurin? You can look at these names drafted in the same time frame: Leonard Hankerson, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Taylor Jacobs, Cliff Russell, Tydus Winans, Walter Murray, Carl Powell, and a big TBD on Dyami Brown. Outside of McLaurin they all pretty much busted

Yeah mixed up Doctson with the dreaded 3 #2's ... two receivers and Fred Davis year. Docston dropped a game winning TD right in front of me and my boys on MNF at Arrowhead, how could I forget? 

On Terry, he's somewhere around 10-15th best receiver in the league. D Adams is the best, T Hill is somewhere around 7-10. I'd pay scary Terry $115M with $75 Guaranteed right now... if it started to get steeper, I would think about trading him. He needs some solid Off support, he can't take over a game by himself. Jefferson, Adams, Hill, Cupp, Deebo... those dudes can take over a game by themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yeah mixed up Doctson with the dreaded 3 #2's ... two receivers and Fred Davis year. Docston dropped a game winning TD right in front of me and my boys on MNF at Arrowhead, how could I forget? 

On Terry, he's somewhere around 10-15th best receiver in the league. D Adams is the best, T Hill is somewhere around 7-10. I'd pay scary Terry $115M with $75 Guaranteed right now... if it started to get steeper, I would think about trading him. He needs some solid Off support, he can't take over a game by himself. Jefferson, Adams, Hill, Cupp, Deebo... those dudes can take over a game by themselves. 

How the hell could we know if he can't take over games like those other premier receivers?  Think about all the losers that have been throwing the ball to Terry the last 3 years.  How can we effectively say that he's not up there with those top level receivers?  I bet if we had signed Cousins to a deal in 2017, and we had drafted Terry, he would indeed be looked at as a Top 10 receiver for sure.  Hell, if Wentz was our QB since we drafted Terry, he would be in a couple of pro-bowls by now.

It would be disastrous to trade Terry, especially seeing that he's one of the only recognizable stars that we have, and one of the only really talented guys on the roster.  Not to mention his attitude, and leadership.  We already have a tough time with our perception as a bottom-feeding, low class dumpster fire of a franchise who lets talent walk out the door, and can't attract any stars to sign here as free agents.  Why would we want to part with one of the only fan favorites and class acts on this team?

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Good morning all. Thanks as always for the excellent commentary. One thing that’s bothering me reading over this thread… A lot of people are mentioning WR2 as a top priority, and I’m wondering what about Curtis Samuel? I feel like we already signed our WR2, he just hasn’t gotten on the field yet. A lot of fans, myself included, were very happy with the signing last year. He was not a bust, he just was injured. Seems fair that, now healthy, we can expect to get the player we signed up for. Russell Wilson had a terrible season last year, due to injury, and yet we were still falling over backwards trying to get him. I just don’t think we can afford to throw big money at another veteran receiver, and I believe we will get more out of Samuel this year than any rookie (even a first rounder). Obviously we always want more playmakers. But I just wonder if WR2 shouldn’t be a little further down the list of priorities, since we basically already took our shot with Samuel. 

Samuel will be cut after this season when he spends the season injured again.

You draft a wr, that will be our wr2 or even better wr1 and bump Terry to wr2.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We'll resign McLaurin. May not be till later this Spring/Summer, but it'll get done.

It would be stunning if they let Terry walk. I'll be severely disappointed if they don't retain him and that just may be the deciding factor for me to keep following and supporting this team. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

33 minutes ago, samy316 said:

How the hell could we know if he can't take over games like those other premier receivers?  Think about all the losers that have been throwing the ball to Terry the last 3 years.  How can we effectively say that he's not up there with those top level receivers?  I bet if we had signed Cousins to a deal in 2017, and we had drafted Terry, he would indeed be looked at as a Top 10 receiver for sure.  Hell, if Wentz was our QB since we drafted Terry, he would be in a couple of pro-bowls by now.

It would be disastrous to trade Terry, especially seeing that he's one of the only recognizable stars that we have, and one of the only really talented guys on the roster.  Not to mention his attitude, and leadership.  We already have a tough time with our perception as a bottom-feeding, low class dumpster fire of a franchise who lets talent walk out the door, and can't attract any stars to sign here as free agents.  Why would we want to part with one of the only fan favorites and class acts on this team?

That's an ok point, but I doubt anyone would make a claim that he's better than anyone I just listed. My hope is he cracks the top 10 this year, but in reality Wentz has made a career of throwing to big body receivers and TEs, Jeffrey, Ertz and Pittman. 

I don't want to trade him, but $20+ Mil a year players that aren't QBs should be carefully considered... one of the best to ever coach/manage just traded a top 10 WR for this very reason. There is literally nothing this team could do to be worse, trading Scary Terry wouldnt change that. 

Terry is literally my favorite player and its not close for me FYI

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

It would be stunning if they let Terry walk. I'll be severely disappointed if they don't retain him and that just may be the deciding factor for me to keep following and supporting this team. 

I'm with you. That would be a MAJOR breaking point.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That's an ok point, but I doubt anyone would make a claim that he's better than anyone I just listed. My hope is he cracks the top 10 this year, but in reality Wentz has made a career of throwing to big body receivers and TEs, Jeffrey, Ertz and Pittman. 

I don't want to trade him, but $20+ Mil a year players that aren't QBs should be carefully considered... one of the best to ever coach/manage just traded a top 10 WR for this very reason. There is literally nothing this team could do to be worse, trading Scary Terry wouldnt change that. 

Terry is literally my favorite player and its not close for me FYI

We're going to have to spend money eventually, if we want to contend for anything.  That's what the successful teams do like the Rams and Bucs.  The Packers and Chiefs have also opened up their wallet books in recent years.  The only reason the Packers and Chiefs lost their receivers, is because they already have their franchise QB's that they paid a bunch of money to.  We aren't paying anyone large money right now except for Wentz, and we just traded for him to pay that last $28 Million of his deal.  If we hadn't traded for Wentz, we would've had $40-50 Mil in cap space easy.  If we really wanted to sign T-Mac, we could.  We don't have to worry about paying a QB at least $40 Million + and the players we have coming up that we also need to sign besides Terry, won't take up all of our remaining cap space.  Keep in mind too, that the salary cap will be going up considerably the next few seasons, going up to $270 million by 2024.

This offseason has proven more than anything else that the cap can be manipulated and played with if you really want to sign a player.  We can afford to extend Terry, and there's really no reason not too.  If you let ANOTHER talented player walk (Cousins, Trent Williams & Scherff), then that's an extremely tough sell to the already dwindling, tiny fanbase at that point.  We'll be a boring, dumpster fire like we are now, AND cheap on top of that.  Not a good combination.

Edited by samy316

MVS TO CHIEFS. 

Former Packers’ WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling is signing a three-year, $30 million deal worth up to $36 million with the Chiefs, per source. This is called living right: Valdes-Scantling goes from the NFL’s reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers to the NFL’s former MVP Patrick Mahomes.

Edited by sebestian