Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Hats off to the Rams for being aggressive and not sitting back on their championship year. Hope they go 0-17!

I think the Rams are planning on a Bankruptcy Season or two after 2025. Looking at these contracts they're basically going to keep doing this for 3 years before they have to eat all that deadcap.

43 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

So I saw Cam say there was a plan to get him more involved in the offense. And I posted this idea on Twitter and just curious yalls thoughts. Cam is 6’5 220 with a 4.56 40. Cam could probably put on 10-12 pounds without losing much athleticism. what if they started using Cam as say a Joker TE type? would allow him to be more involved in the offense and gives you another potential weapon and mismatch to exploit if it worked. Worth a shot or nah? 

Bleh

I'm more interested in Cam playing less then more.

Draft a guy, sign a guy. Less Sims I see this season the better off we are. I'm not designing looks for the guy, especially in the early offseason.

Last thing he needs is more responsibility and learning a new position from scratch. He has not shown me he can even be an effective WR yet, let alone anything beyond that. He looks like he is replacement level on STs too.

If you want a big fast guy to develop into a TE, use Sammis Reyes. Man is a specimen

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

It would look so bad on us as an organization if we didn't pay Terry M.  I can't even begin to think. It would set a precedent of sorts I think about players wanting to come here.  It's a business but it could.  They have so many FA of their own to resign in the next few years.

They talk about 'the culture' over and over, that appears to be part of the plan in paying their core players. They'll extend Terry and give him slightly more than his stats dictate. They can add Wilson at #11 and have that combo for the next 4-5 yrs.

3 hours ago, Conn said:

What are the odds that Cerrato has done a radio spot recently where he bragged that these big time teams are just building on his blueprint here, the main difference is we were unlucky at QB? Vinny Cerrato, hailing himself as the unheralded grandfather of modern roster building :ols:

I started off laughing at this and then it hit me--

You are right. The most succesful teams in the NFL are largely behaving exactly like old coke eyed "Sacks n Stuff" Cerrato used to-- AND THEY'RE GETTING PRAISED FOR DOING IT!

You also nailed it on the head, that the main reason those off season's failed for us is because we never managed to solve the qb riddle.

Was Cerrato a visionary ahead of his time?

Noooo...right?

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They talk about 'the culture' over and over, that appears to be part of the plan in paying their core players. They'll extend Terry and give him slightly more than his stats dictate. They can add Wilson at #11 and have that combo for the next 4-5 yrs.

They may go that direction.  I would go in another (trade down) but if they do go WR in the first at #11 and Wilson is available, it's a no brainer to me. :)  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Bleh

I'm more interested in Cam playing less then more.

Draft a guy, sign a guy. Less Sims I see this season the better off we are. I'm not designing looks for the guy, especially in the early offseason.

Last thing he needs is more responsibility and learning a new position from scratch. He has not shown me he can even be an effective WR yet, let alone anything beyond that. He looks like he is replacement level on STs too.

If you want a big fast guy to develop into a TE, use Sammis Reyes. Man is a specimen

Sims hasn’t really gotten much of a chance either. When he has gotten chances and targets he’s seemed to do quite a bit with it actually. Sims seems like the type of guy that you have to get him involved early to get into the flow of the game or he disappears. When he gets targets he tends to make the most of them. His average yard per catch is 14.6. Through three years on the active roster he has 46 catches for 715 yards and 3 tds despite only 74 targets. Thats actually pretty efficient. So he tends to produce when actually given the chance to do so 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

You are right. The most succesful teams in the NFL are largely behaving exactly like old coke eyed "Sacks n Stuff" Cerrato used to-- AND THEY'RE GETTING PRAISED FOR DOING IT!

You also nailed it on the head, that the main reason those off season's failed for us is because we never managed to solve the qb riddle.

Noooo...right?

The problem is you need to build the base of the team properly then do what's needed to finish the team and make a run. Also, he was not very smart about who he threw money at, old vets looking for a paycheck mostly. 

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Noooo...right?

No. The plan failed because Dan didn’t understand that these players are human beings and not just madden ratings. If Bobby Wagner wants to go to the Rams, part of the reason is because he wants to compete for a championship and therefore, it’s safe to assume he’ll still work hard and act like a professional. All those guys who took big paydays from Washington weren’t coming here because they wanted to win or play for a top organization. They wanted to get paid and once they did, their motivation went to ****.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No. The plan failed because Dan didn’t understand that these players are human beings and not just madden ratings. If Bobby Wagner wants to go to the Rams, part of the reason is because he wants to compete for a championship and therefore, it’s safe to assume he’ll still work hard and act like a professional. All those guys who took big paydays from Washington weren’t coming here because they wanted to win or play for a top organization. They wanted to get paid and once they did, their motivation went to ****.

Vinny?

26 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Sims hasn’t really gotten much of a chance either. When he has gotten chances and targets he’s seemed to do quite a bit with it actually.

He got plenty of chances, he logged almost 60% of offensive snaps in 2020. He does not get a ton of targets b/c he struggles significantly to get open.

If he gets open, yes he can get some yards, but that is a big if. That's dangerous thing for a WR.

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

So I saw Cam say there was a plan to get him more involved in the offense. And I posted this idea on Twitter and just curious yalls thoughts. Cam is 6’5 220 with a 4.56 40. Cam could probably put on 10-12 pounds without losing much athleticism. what if they started using Cam as say a Joker TE type? would allow him to be more involved in the offense and gives you another potential weapon and mismatch to exploit if it worked. Worth a shot or nah? 

Interesting. So we'd move Cam to TE on the Roster and play him as WR and just say "Joker" when makes a catch? 

Because a guy who lines up off the line and runs WR routes is usually just called a WR.

I think the term is "big WR".

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Interesting. So we'd move Cam to TE on the Roster and play him as WR and just say "Joker" when makes a catch? 

Because a guy who lines up off the line and runs WR routes is usually just called a WR.

Yeah if you exclusively line him out wide then yeah he would just be a WR. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying you use him more as a Jordan Reed type TE

(not comparing him to Reed) but I’m talking lining up on the line, outside, in the slot the whole nine. If he put on 10-12 pounds with his speed he could potentially cause a lot of matchup problems for defenses. But think about it. We need a TE, if we draft a WR it’s going to get crowded quick between draft pick, mcclaurin, brown, sims and Milne in the slot and Samuel all getting snaps and it gives you another piece to create mismatches all over the field especially as much as wentz loves his TEs

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

He got plenty of chances, he logged almost 60% of offensive snaps in 2020. He does not get a ton of targets b/c he struggles significantly to get open.

If he gets open, yes he can get some yards, but that is a big if. That's dangerous thing for a WR.

Yes it is for a WR and sims is relatively slow for a WR in this day and age you know what he’s not slow for these days? A te sims could potentially be a matchup up nightmare as TE with his size and speed 

I'm really intrigued by the Cam Newton at tight end idea. Lots of potential for trick plays. It'd be like Antwaan Randle-El 2.0.

Maybe he could return punts, too, since that's not really DeAndre's thing. 

Love this idea. 

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love this signing. 

Bunmi Rotini has shown flashes as a rusher, but his bread and butter is run defense. Nobody gets pasta him. 

Edited by duffy
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

remember Nile Paul.  He was that big WR but they did officially change his position to TE.  Cam Sims doesnt look like to have the strength to make that switch like Paul did

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

remember Nile Paul.  He was that big WR but they did officially change his position to TE.  Cam Sims doesnt look like to have the strength to make that switch like Paul did

Paul was probably a better blocker, no? 

14 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I wouldn't want to model one of our receivers after Niles Paul. Swiss Army Niles was a Jack of Maybe Two Trades Possibly Three if We're Generous, Master of None. The only time I remember him shining was against the Jaguars in 2014. For all the talk about him, I don't recall him doing much aside from special teams.

I like Cam for being a big bodied WR who can rumble. Until we get another big bodied WR who can out-rumble him, I wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, Niles Paul also fell over backwards on Thanksgiving day. That was cool.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, duffy said:

Paul was probably a better blocker, no? 

Safe bet. Paul was a pretty aggressive player if I recall. He also had a much thicker frame than Sims (4 inches shorter and 25 pounds heavier).

I remember after he had gotten some experience at TE, he got a new contract and the coaches thought he was in for a big year but he got hurt in the first preseason game. Think he just kept getting injured every year after that until he was out of the league.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

Good point about Paul

Niles Paul was barely over 6 ft tall, and by the end of career he was up to 240+lbs

Cam Sims is 6-5 220. He would have to drastically alter his body by adding 30-40 pounds to get to Paul's level of overall mass since he is so much taller. There is no way that is feasible, he will likely never be able to achieve that kind of mass and stay healthy.

Even for a pure joker, at 6-5 Sims would likely need to be near 250lbs to be an effective TE. Kyle Pitts is 6-6 247 and he is about as joker as it gets. J Reed was only 6-2, but weights 240.

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Yes it is for a WR and sims is relatively slow for a WR in this day and age you know what he’s not slow for these days? A te sims could potentially be a matchup up nightmare as TE with his size and speed 

I see very little need to do that when we have Reyes, who at 6'5'' has elite TE speed at a whopping 260lbs. Not only does he have the athleticism to fulfill the joker role, he can also be an in-line TE when needed and he does not have to change his body type to do it.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

The Tim Settle projected comp pick is now listed 30/32. There are only 32 awarded. The two below him for OJ Howard and Mike Hughes are broadly a result of 1 year 3.5mil deals. The one above him is around 4mil APY. It’s not all based on value, as Settles is higher than that....

Point being, we are probably at risk of that pick falling out of the top 32. If that happens then we are only left with the Scherff 3rd. Therefore, any future FA signings that incur contracts at say 4/5mil APY and above are likely to put the Scherff pick at risk.

You either 

1. Say stuff the Scherff pick and go sign Mathieu for example
  2. Only target non qualifying FA 
  3. Target any remaining FA but you are only looking at deals at or under ~3.5mil APY so that they don’t enter into the top 32 list.

As an aside, I wonder if we’d get a pick if Fitz signed a decent one year deal somewhere?

GB 6 Lucas Patrick
WAS 7 Tim Settle
TB 7 O.J. Howard
KC 7 Mike Hughes
Edited by Est.1974