Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

55 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I don't wanna beat a dead horse, but you're arguing roster construction and I'm arguing the amount we spent. 

Thats because you’re misusing the term “cap hell”. It doesn’t mean you can’t afford or make room for any player. Every team spends about the same amount of money up to the cap. That’s the point of the cap, obviously. It is entirely a function of how you spend that money and construct your roster that results in cap hell—not how much you spend—but how you spend. It’s not just connected, but the only thing that matters. So those rosters being top heavy but thin, and us being able to afford any high priced FA we wanted, were connected in a way that you can’t unwind and separate when you’re talking about the concept of “cap hell”. Every team can spend the money and make room for huge contracts if they want—it’s how you spend it and how that effects your roster construction (which hit us doubly hard because we couldn’t draft well and traded away picks in those days, too). 

So you’re saying “we never experienced cap hell in those days, we could always make room and afford any big name we wanted” which is a fundamental misunderstanding of what cap hell even is. The rest of our roster being shallow and ****ty because we did that and had too much dead cap taking up space over the years after busting on high price FA’s, hamstringing the team, is the result of cap hell.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Hell, why not both?  I don't know if we can afford it but it would make us pretty damn mean on that side of the ball.

If we did that. Then trade down in the 1st to get a 2nd or 3rd and get WR, Oline,  oline and get a DT in 4th or 5th. Sounds like a solid plan. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

Thats because you’re misusing the term “cap hell”. It doesn’t mean you can’t afford or make room for any player. Every team spends about the same amount of money up to the cap. That’s the point of the cap, obviously. It is entirely a function of how you spend that money and construct your roster that results in cap hell—not how much you spend—but how you spend. It’s not just connected, but the only thing that matters. So those rosters being top heavy but thin, and us being able to afford any high priced FA we wanted, were connected in a way that you can’t unwind and separate when you’re talking about the concept of “cap hell”. Every team can spend the money and make room for huge contracts if they want—it’s how you spend it and how that effects your roster construction (which hit us doubly hard because we couldn’t draft well and traded away picks in those days, too). 

So you’re saying “we never experienced cap hell in those days, we could always make room and afford any big name we wanted” which is a fundamental misunderstanding of what cap hell even is. The rest of our roster being shallow and ****ty because we did that and had too much dead cap taking up space over the years after busting on high price FA’s, hamstringing the team, is the result of cap hell.

there's a difference between cap dollars and cash over cap.

2 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If we did that. Then trade down in the 1st to get a 2nd or 3rd and get WR, Oline,  oline and get a DT in 4th or 5th. Sounds like a solid plan. 

I'll take the compliment.  I'm just drinking and imagining us reconstructing the 2000 Ravens.  ****, Wentz is a better QB than Dilfer.  This can't possibly fail.

Side note:  Trying to remember how many offseasons I've said some variation of "this can't possibly fail" in my lifetime of fandom.  There are a lot of those...

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Curious about this Mathieu rumor...makes me wonder...did we do a reverse McKissic on McCain?

our only safety depth are Jeremy Reaves and Darrick Forrest and McCain used to be a cornerback.  Maybe depth

5 minutes ago, MrJL said:

our only safety depth are Jeremy Reaves and Darrick Forrest and McCain used to be a cornerback.  Maybe depth

McCain has experience playing CB, so maybe he'd become the nickel CB.   I can't imagine they would give him 5.5 per year to be a backup Safety

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Matthieu would be a solid addition because he would be a stud linebacker in passing downs for us in coverage and you can put McCain over the top.  Running McCain Matthieu and Curl at the same time.  Matthieu is better and more versatile than Collins.

• Like 1

Can someone smarter than me shed light on Mathieu’s position and how he’s best deployed? Am trying to figure out where / how he’d contribute on our team.

But as I said several pages ago, I love the leadership and culture fit. Don’t underrate the value of having a key contributor on a Super Bowl champion team on our roster. Skintangibles are off the charts 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Chad's a hit/miss fella too.  People don't get your hopes up, seriously.  Let's hope we get Wagner but that's not going to happen either. Now Hooper at TE.  Maybe as RR had real interest in him in 2020 and he was released.  Then again, RR and Co. are good at keeping things airtight. 

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Chad's a hit/miss fella too.  People don't get your hopes up, seriously.  Let's hope we get Wagner but that's not going to happen either. Now Hooper at TE.  Maybe as RR had real interest in him in 2020 and he was released.  Then again, RR and Co. are good at keeping things airtight. 

You mean Chad “90% Chance Kirk Cousins is Traded”? That Chad? 

• Like 1