Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Seems like Rivera and co. Are waiting it out for the league year to start and get Wentz in the building. I expect a similar approach to the last couple years, that is quietly go about their business and get a few impact players at the lower tier of spending.

Except last year they signed FItz on day one, Samuel on day 2, and I think WJIII on day 3.  Or something like that.  

The first year they tried early for Cooper and failed, made an offer to that TE who went to Cleveland (I can't remember who, Hooper maybe), and I think they took one other swing which didn't connect, then were quiet.

I think this year they are letting a bunch of guys they want to re-sign test the market and come back to them, and see if they can keep some of their own.  McKissic and McCain being the two big ones.  

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

And I could care less if we moved from Gibson to a better RB. Guy is not suited for how we're using him.

Counterpoint: Use him better. 

I do think the plan WAS to use him differently last season, but the plan had to change because of 2 reasons:  1. Samuels was hurt the entire year.  2. Fitz got hurt, and they needed to morph into a power run team because TH was limited.  

I think if neither thing had happened, they would have used Samuel in the backfield at times, spread the field more, and been more creative. Which also means they would have spread Gibson out, and used him as a receiver as well.  f you remember the first 16 snaps of the season (with Fitz playing), Gibson actually had 3 or 4 targets in the passing game.  I think it really was the plan to use him and Samuels as gadget guys, move them all over the place, and confuse defenses.  And let Fitz distribute the ball.

But that plan died because Samuel was gone.  Then Fitz was gone.  Brown isn't that guy, and all of a sudden, the whole plan came crashing down when TH had to play the entire season.  

So they morphed into a power running team, because that's about the best they could do with the limitations they had.

This year with Wentz (assuming he lasts more than 16 snaps), they really should be able to go back to the original plan and Wentz has even more ability to stretch the field.  (Caveat, what he has ALWAYS struggled with is "letting go" of plays, so he'll try to extend, extend, extend, extend, then gets smooshed. So we'll see how that plays out.) But he is a QB who WANTS to push the ball down the field, and I think with McLaurin, Brown, Samuel and Gibson, all of them are (I believe) 4.4 guys or better.  They have a lot of ability to spread the field and stretch the defense.  

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am little surprised that Scherff didn't want to go to Tampa knowing that Brady is back. Unless he had already signed with the Jags first.

I'm surprised he didn't want to go to the Midwest where he can live in a cabin, drink Busche Light and hunt/fish. (That's kindof a joke, but he's an avid outdoorsman, and loves the lifestyle. Which I appreciate.)  I really thought the Bengals were the most obvious team.  He's a Midwest guy.  The Vikings can't afford him after devoting 2/3rd of their cap to Cousins.  But the Bengals could have.  Maybe the bears too.  I dunno.  I really, really thought he was going to the Midwest.  

Now he goes to Jax, and I guess maybe he can do some deep sea fishing stuff while he's there...  I dunno.  I really thought his personal desire of where he wanted to live was going to be more of a factor.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

This guy would be perfect for us, experience, ability and leadership. Next to Kam Curl while he is on his Rookie contract

(The above post refers to "Honey Badger" Tyrann Mathieu.)

So I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. On paper, it would definitely be an upgrade.  He's not the player he once was physically due to age and injuries, but he's still very good.  He's still only 29.  He's a super competitor, and he's a great leader.  (Though he is prone to boneheaded penalties from time to time.) So on one hand, it would be really nice to have that type of leadership and ability in the secondary.

2. On the other hand, Ron and company mistakenly completely blew up the secondary last year with too many moving parts and changes.  At the beginning of the season, they swapped WJIII for Darby, brought Collins back and inserted him into the lineup and essentially benched Kurl, moved Fuller inside from outside, inserted St. Juice as a starter outside, and then screwed around with 3 safety looks, and other things, and it all just blew up in their faces.

So, I'm actually in favor of less change rather than more change this year.  If they were to re-sign McCain, they bring back the core of the defense: Fuller and WJIII on the outside, Kurl and McCain inside, St. Juice as a backup outside.  Collins is gone, but he was really playing LB at the end of the year (whatever they wanted to call it, that's really what he was playing), and I think this year the plan is to get a new MLB, and then have Davis and Holcomb be the outside LBs, so that covers that loss. 

I think I'm coming around to keeping as much the same as possible and build from the stability.  Rather than paying big money and shaking things up.  

Draft another DB, preferably a guy who can play in the slot, see if Forest develops at safety.  The defense did play pretty well for a stretch until COVID and injuries demolished it late in the season.  See if you can build off of that. 

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Counterpoint: Use him better. 

I do think the plan WAS to use him differently last season, but the plan had to change because of 2 reasons:  1. Samuels was hurt the entire year.  2. Fitz got hurt, and they needed to morph into a power run team because TH was limited.  

I think if neither thing had happened, they would have used Samuel in the backfield at times, spread the field more, and been more creative. Which also means they would have spread Gibson out, and used him as a receiver as well.  f you remember the first 16 snaps of the season (with Fitz playing), Gibson actually had 3 or 4 targets in the passing game.  I think it really was the plan to use him and Samuels as gadget guys, move them all over the place, and confuse defenses.  And let Fitz distribute the ball.

But that plan died because Samuel was gone.  Then Fitz was gone.  Brown isn't that guy, and all of a sudden, the whole plan came crashing down when TH had to play the entire season.  

So they morphed into a power running team, because that's about the best they could do with the limitations they had.

If that's the plan then i think we need to bring in more of an every down back as much today as we did 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You never know what’s going to happen in the draft, counting on filling our Safety, MLB holes would be negligent. We need a MLB (lots of options) and I’m hoping for M Williams 

with the Dallas moves there’s almost no way they have money for Wagner right?

There's always a way... you can kick the can on down the road indefinitely, knowing that the cap will continue to go up every year.  It will eventually bite you (and is a prime reason why they had to trade Cooper for only a 6th round pick), but it can and is done.

I don't like significantly borrowing from future years cap by manipulating cap hits ala first 15 years of Snyder.... and current cowpukes

That being said...

5M against the future cap is a better bargain than 5M against this year's cap because of cap inflation.  As such, moving money into the future is cost effective, as long as you are signing cost effective contracts.

So if we need to shift $$$ forward for bargain FA signings, you absolutely do it.

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Might bode well for our chances at Marcus Williams...

They need to let McKissic go.  There is little reason to have him back.  If they're serious about building around Wentz (which they have to at this point to even have a chance at respectability) then they have to understand his game.  I'm assuming they've done their homework on him and realize he isn't a check-down QB.  He rarely throws to his backs.  That's his history.  Use the money you'd have to pay McKissic and go and get some more WR weapons, which we desperately need.  Draft a WR in the first two rounds.  Get a real weapon.  We don't have nearly enough of those on this team.  True game-changers like Terry Mac.   He's our only one.  Maybe CS can help (if healthy )but Ron certainly didn't give him a ringing endorsement, Humphries was basically a no-show last year.  He added next to nothing.  Brown right now is a massive disappointment that shouldn't be counted on.  He needs time for serious development, which is fine, but there's no way the team should be counting on this guy right now.  And if one of those guys goes down, we're in dire straits at the position again.  Need another stud opposite Terry at the every least.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If McKissic goes, we will miss him greatly… that is all I’ll say about that 

Myles Jack immediately becomes priority #1. He’s a dawg out there

I don't think we'd miss McKissic because Wentz doesn't hardly ever throw to his backs.  I think we'd be massively frustrated if McKissic comes back and we watch him get overlooked by Wentz game after game while we're paying both those players all that money.  Let McKissic go and draft a promising blue chip WR in the fist two rounds.  Gotta conform to Wentz's game a bit here and maximize options in what he likes to do.

Edited by Redwards

23 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If McKissic goes, we will miss him greatly… that is all I’ll say about that 

Myles Jack immediately becomes priority #1. He’s a dawg out there

I think that Myles Jack might be scared off by Logan Thomas..

Edited by DemSkinz

6 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I don't think we'd miss McKissic because Wentz doesn't hardly ever throw to his backs.  I think we'd be massively frustrated if McKissic comes back and we watch him get overlooked by Wentz game after game while we're paying both those players all that money.  Let McKissic go and draft a promising blue chip WR in the fist two rounds.  Gotta conform to Wentz's game a bit here and maximize options in what he likes to do.

What are you talking about?!

Wentz throws to his running backs often. He threw a million screens while in Philly to running backs and Taylor/Hines had 100 targets with 80 catches last year combined. JD is a special player and would hate to see him go. 

• Like 1