Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Fire Ron, Jack & Wright

El Mexican

For the record despite the blip of a streak, I gave up on this team this year a long time ago. It was clear we weren't going to have stability this year and the covid stuff have only exasperated the problem. But I stand by what I said I think some changes on the coaching staff will have to happen. the question is which ones, and will Ron be able to make the right ones. I'm not confident that he will see the right one or or bring in the right person to make a difference.

I also think that addition by subtraction at a few positions on defense and the offensive line will be necessary but I don't necessarily think it's all doom and gloom. if we get one or two replacement pieces that can do better than what those pieces did this year, then there could be a marked improvement.

I'm not saying we'd be playoff-caliber next year, if that's going to come down to quarterback play and I'm not confident we'll be able to get a quarterback that's Worthy of giving a contract to in this offseason. And if that's the case then I don't necessarily see a reason of getting rid of Ron because we won't be able to do anything in the draft.  Which means we need to reload at a few positions and figure out which players we want to keep long-term past 24 add anybody not in the 24 to 28 timeframe should not be retained this year

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

What a way to get bounced from any playoff chances.

Have your pants pulled down on national television by your biggest rival and spanked into submission.

There was a time when I wouldn't have been able to sleep last night and I'd be angry for a solid week but around 615 last night I grabbed my son and brought him to see Spiderman.

Very happy to say I never even turned the game on.

I've been making that decision more and more lately and wow have they been good choices. 

It's really liberating to stop caring so much. Now that I have my own family, I don't understand the guys who don't relax about athletic contests they can't control. Enjoy the spectacle, sure, but if it gets disheartening turn it off.  Don't change teams (unless they move or change identity.. hint hint), as that's a lack of character, but just tune in when it suits you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

I think it will come down to this: I think Dan Snyder or whoever acts as his voice will want to keep Rivera, but he may get an ultimatum that he needs to look closely at his staff and overhaul it. And I'm not even sure where to start there. it's really hard to honestly look at Turner when the offense hasn't had key pieces all year long. not even for a single game, did it have all the pieces. I mean coaches can only coach the talent that's available for any given game.

But I suspect Ron will not want to change, and will instead offer to resign instead thus alleviating Dan of the need to fire him. I have to think that the way they played last night was an embarrassment to Rivera and even though I think they really need another offseason year to really be able to be in any kind of contention - I have always felt that since before the year started - I do not see how this continues.  And I think that the chemistry on the team is wrong on both sides of the ball. it shows up in how the offensive line blocks  it shows up in how the defense has players out of position all of the time.   As much as I want to thank the coaches are responsible if the players are not playing how they are coached then no coach can fix it.  It may be time to liquidate.

Ron wouldn’t be the first coach to refuse to fire coaches and resign instead.

I think Rivera does some things well. The guys generally play hard for him and respect him. The locker room morale seems to be better(yesterday's sideline brawl not withstanding). The culture does appear to be better.

I don't think he's a very good Xs and Os guy though, but that's what assistants are for. Its hard to evaluate Turner without a real QB, but its clear he does some things well but also has much to learn in other areas. Del Rio is a solid D.C. Not good, not bad, nothing special, but doesn't completely suck. The D is just bereft of talent right now with injuries/COVID and no coach can work with that.

What I do know is that there is way too much on RIvera's plate. He shouldn't be the de facto GM. He should have nothing to do with the name change/rebranding. Just let him focus on coaching.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Calling for everyone to get fired under the circumstances, not even two years into the rebuild, is so on brand for this awful fanbase.

Never underestimate the power of drunk, reactionary people in large groups... 

I was on my couch all day with food poisoning... I flipped the tv on, saw the score (21-0) and just decided I couldn't take the pain.

10 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

The true problem is us, the fans.  Primarily, the fans that get sucked in time and time again, season after season, thinking that somehow, someway, despite all odds and facts to the contrary, this season will be different. 

Until the fans stop getting their hopes up and having undeserved expectations, we will have threads like this, because those hopes and expectations lead to the frustrations and the pains that push fans to start these threads.  Nothing, I mean nothing, that this team has done in the past decade is reason for fans to think things are going to change.  It is beyond depressing, but it is the truth. 

If we want real change for this organization, it needs to start with us.  Stop falling for the same bull**** every year.  Stop purchasing team gear, tickets, etc. Stop calling into the radio shows.  Stop watching any of the junior high quality produced TV shows.  Hell, stop watching the games.  All of the numbers all around need to dip, and dip badly.  The CBA makes it tough for Snyder to feel a pinch from lack of ticket sales for games, but lack of merch sales, ratings drops on radio and television, those numbers can't be hidden from sponsors and the league, and that will hit Snyder's wallet.  

Oh but that's happening.  Starting 10 to 12 years ago, Snyder started ripping out seats at Fed Ex Field in a desperate effort to keep alive the myth of the sold out stadium . After major construction three time in five years to bring seating capacity down, the notion that the Skins was a tough ticket became a mockery.  And we see it plain as day now.  So many attendees come dressed as empty seats or as fans of the visiting team.  He's managed to squander away the most valuable asset of an NFL team -  a loyal fan base.  And the Redskins had one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL before he got here.

And...

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Just think of what young fans today will be able to tell their grandkids.  “In my day, our team never won.  Not ever.  We cheered anyway, because that was all we had!”

... that loyal fan base was built despite years of losing.  When they played at DC/RFK Stadium, they lost. A lot.  They were entertaining, with Sonny J. slinging the ball all over the place. But the defense mostly sucked, and they lost consistently.  In front of  sold-out crowds of Redskins fans.  Destino's quote above could have come from that generation of fans who filled the seats every week despite year after year of losing football.  They finally got a taste of winning under Vince Lombardi and then George Allen, and then Joe Gibbs, and the rest was history - the most dedicated fan base in football, who stuck with the team in the lean years to experience the joy of reaching the mountaintop.

And then came Snyder.  Who's managed to tear it all down.  Piece by piece. Just like he did to FedEx Field.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get that the OP is frustrated, and threads made out of frustration usually aren't that great.

But whatever, while we're here we might as well discuss it.  It's kind of hard to look at everything rationally and logically while this team is getting proper ****ed on national TV right now.

I'm subject to change my mind but in this very moment I'm of the belief that it really doesn't matter who our coach is.  As long as Snyder is here, nothing else really matters.  Either he's the worst owner ever and terrible at picking talent or he's the most unluckiest son of a **** ever.  Or both.

I think Rivera is probably a mediocre coach who has really good communication skills and people respect him a lot.  But he can't overcome the Snyder stank.

Wright is a joke.

This is all true. So you may as well keep the nice, respected guy and hope he lucks into a top 10 type QB in the next two years. Because the alternative is the Zorn dark age type HC and Snyder right back to being more involved in personnel. At least Rivera seems to keep him at bay, maybe. 

It all boils down to QB. Rivera’s 80’s team-building dream of running the ball and playing defense is dead, whether he knows it or not. But if he figures out QB it won’t matter and we’ll be pretty good, because he’d create a good environment for that QB while the next coach might not. That’s all that really matters right now. If he ties himself to a prospect who busts bc he can’t develop him or another old QB who gets hurt then yeah. He’s done and should be. 

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No chance I am firing Ron. He is basically the only sane thing this franchise has right now. 

Just based on his meh post conference i would fire Ron.  He inspires no confidence.  Good guy - but this organization needs someone who holds players accountable.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Csup said:

Just based on his meh post conference i would fire Ron.  He inspires no confidence.  Good guy - but this organization needs someone who holds players accountable.  

I don't think people realize there is so much that goes on with coaching that we don't see. 

Someone else complained about Rivera being so stoic on the sidelines.  As if him ranting and raving on the sidelines or in a press conference is somehow going to make the team play better.  

The next few weeks will be a challenge for Ron Rivera.  He could reach the point where he loses the respect of players on the team. That can happen in times of crisis.  We'll see how he handles this and whether he can get the team to rally.  I'm betting he can.

But a coach who "holds players accountable" at a press conference instead of in-house will lose a team real quick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rivera seemingly has done a pretty good job with one train wreck scenario after another, let alone with a QB rotation scooped off of the local street corners.

Del Rio has done very little with a good depth of talent and draft picks. Also, some FA money spent on that side of the ball as well. There never seems to be any creativity to enhance the talent on D, the schemes seem to benefit the opponent. Would love to see him leave for a creative mind on D. Even if the risk fails by searching for a innovator. Can't do much worse than Del Rio at this point. You already have a lifer in Rivera, get me a kid off the street that looks at the game another way and wants to create something special with the talent on D.

Wright seems like the modern day businessman 'pleaser'. He'll get the pulse the room and make his decision based on how many people will be happy against how many will dislike. He'll add some hipster spin to it that seems like there's momentum or general consensus behind it. He just seems to annoy me with his posts and comments. Won't hurt the franchise and safe move for the role, but lukewarm is just annoying. Give me some passion with this position. The Sean Taylor ex post facto comments  were only made after the 'bungle'. Probably only because he would of took credit if it was a success. A whatever way the wind blows leader, would love to see him gone personally

• Like 1

The idea of firing Del Rio is totally on point.

The idea of firing Wright is a great way to remind me that he still exists because I totally forgot about him since the e-mails.

The idea of firing Ron is stupid.  Just stupid.  This is the lowest point we've had with Ron and would just be called Tuesday with other coaches.  This isn't 2013/2014.  That four-game streak both losing and winning showed our team caring, which they hadn't in YEARS.  Even the fight on the sidelines, which was humiliating, wasn't the shoulder shrug that it would've been under Gruden (who I liked prior to Rivera) or Shanahan or Zorn.

Getting rid of him would be incredibly short-sighted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wright has nothing to do with the on field product. Absolutely nothing. Now if you wanna get rid of him for other stuff then fine, but I couldn't care less. I wanna win games. The other stuff will take care of itself.

Del Rio I'm not sure about. I think he's a fine D.C. But just fine. I don't blame him too much for the early season struggles, other than not playing Collins at LB(or whatever you wanna call it)right from the get go. We all thought the front four was better than it turned out to be. But he did adjust once Sweat and Young were hurt. Unfortunately at this point we're just too depleted. No coach can make the current situation work. I don't mind taking a shot at a bright young up and comer but you're just as likely to get a complete doofus who is in over his head.

9 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

I think we’re stuck with Ron at least one more season.

I think you're right.  Here's the timeline:

1. Snyder drafts the most-hyped QB early in the first round.  Everyone on ESPN praises it as a great pick that will make the team instantly relevant. 
  2. Snyder trades away Heinicke so he won't be looking over the shoulder of the new QB. Learned his lesson from the RG3/Cousins era!
  3. The new QB starts immediately, and it quickly becomes apparent that  he is far from NFL-ready.
  4. The defense continues to underachieve compared to the talent invested.
  5. We finish the 2022 season at 5-12 or worse.
  6. Rivera and Del Rio get fired, but most of the position coaches are kept on.
  7. Snyder picks a head coach who is known for developing QBs, but isn't considered a serious HC candidate.  His sole mandate: develop the QB.
  8. The QB does not develop.  He gets benched towards the end of the season.
  9. We finish the 2023 season 4-13 or worse.
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I think you're right.  Here's the timeline:

1. Snyder drafts the most-hyped QB early in the first round.  Everyone on ESPN praises it as a great pick that will make the team instantly relevant. 
  2. Snyder trades away Heinicke so he won't be looking over the shoulder of the new QB. Learned his lesson from the RG3/Cousins era!
  3. The new QB starts immediately, and it quickly becomes apparent that  he is far from NFL-ready.
  4. The defense continues to underachieve compared to the talent invested.
  5. We finish the 2022 season at 5-12 or worse.
  6. Rivera and Del Rio get fired, but most of the position coaches are kept on.
  7. Snyder picks a head coach who is known for developing QBs, but isn't considered a serious HC candidate.  His sole mandate: develop the QB.
  8. The QB does not develop.  He gets benched towards the end of the season.
  9. We finish the 2023 season 4-13 or worse.

Taylor isn't to challenge anyone.

1 hour ago, Csup said:

I agree.  I watched that and could only shake my head.   Responding to questions, he resorted to we have been through hard times and the players have feelings and are human.  Not very inspiring...quite the opposite.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Ron gave the impression at the post conference that he had checked out mentally.  He is thinking about packing up his stuff after the last game and heading to his home

in sunny California.

I didn’t get that impression. I though he came across well. Frustrated with COVID, injuries, and then the lack of application the players showed in response to that. It came across as fairly honest, realistic criticism. I think he is up for the fight but knows we have critical pieces missing. 

I sense his main issue is the coaching and recruitment performances of some of his closest associates. That likely pisses him off more than anything.