Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think I had it

Tier 1

1.  Kenny Pickett

2.  Malik Willis

Tier 2 

3.  Matt Corrall

4.  Sam Howell

Tier 3

5.  Carson Strong

6.  Desmond Ridder

I think I probably underestimated Ridder.   Malik Willis had the highest ceiling in my opinion and I think he still might, but he has a lower floor than some of the guys he is ranked ahead of.  Corrall was lost for the season with a preseason injury, but in his two appearances he struggled so I would probably flip Sam Howell.   Probably my top 6 now with hindsight is 

1.  Pickett

2.  Howell

3.  Ridder

4.  Willis

5.  Bailey

6.  Corral

That said, I acknowledge I may be overreacting to a small sample size in moving guys around from where I had them at draft time.

What tier is Purdy in?

8 hours ago, LD0506 said:

I seem to recall some of the same criticism leveled at Lamar Jackson

I feel like people underestimate the value of a kid going to the right team, getting what he needs to grow into the pros

I mean, there aren't many teams that run more than the Titans do. Outside of Baltimore picking Willis, he landed in a pretty good spot, IMO.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mistertim said:

I always felt that Malik Willis was fools gold. Everyone was caught up in his running ability and big arm, but his accuracy was spotty and he made some absolutely horrible decisions at times. And that was against pretty low level competition. I remember before the draft saying that I thought he'd fall out of the first round and I was called crazy by some people who were convinced that his ceiling meant he'd be a lock in the top 10 at least, if not top 5.

Obviously it's still early, but I'm still dubious about his ability to translate into the NFL.

It was a tough QB class to judge.  My conclusion at the end was it wouldn't surprise me if any of these guys bust or succeed and its not easy to guess who.  I thought the top 5 were close enough where I can see it going either way.  And I kept changing my top 5 right until the end.

I started with Corral as my #1 but when I heard about his bad interviews, questionable intangibles and then the kicker was him bombing the Wonderlic, he dropped for me.  Speaking of RPOs which we do here in the context of Howell, Corral IMO was a master of it in college.  But slim frame and questionable intangibles.  From what I've heard to death from head coaches, intangibles are everything at QB.  So heed red flags on that count.

Willis ended up my #1, based on upside though I thought he had the most bust protential too.  Then basically Corral and Howell at a tie.  I put Corral one spot ahead of Howell in the top 100 players some of us put together, so Corral by a hair.  Then Pickett.  Then Ridder.  Then Strong at #6. 

Strong's red flags to me were his Frankenstein level reconstructed knee and I heard about bad interviews.  I liked Strong better early in the process during the college season, threw a killer deep ball.  Him and Howell IMO threw the best deep balls. Strong's pocket presence, mobility and ability to make off platform throws were issues/red flags though.  He's a dude that the draft process didn't do him any favors, he bombed it.  Apparently he had a bad camp after that.  I recall hearing this team had some interest in Strong but then that seemed to wane too.  

I wanted to love Ridder.  I liked his mobility and he's a dude with supposedly through the roof intangibles but his accuracy especially on the first level bugged me.  As for leadership, Ridder and Pickett got the most billing.  Howell liked to sell his leadership in interviews but from what I've heard he's more of a leadership by example type -- not the vocal-charasmatic type. 

And I'll still say it wouldn't shock me if any of these guys succeed or bust.  Judging by draft history at QB, the betting odds are better at bust.  Corral had a lost season so that likely kills his career but will see.  Willis got off to a rough start.   Pickett started rough but came on at the end.  Howell had a good start albiet small sample.   Ridder was decent in a small sample.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Addresses the Commanders’s plans. 

Considering the uncertainty of ownership, it is a prudent plan.  We could have an entire new FO/coaching staff after next year.  No sense to devote millions/top picks (I doubt the top 3 QBs are anywhere near 16 anyways) on the position when we don't know who'll be coaching/selecting players after this year.  

LOL, Rex Ryan on Postseason NFL Countdown just said lookout for the Commanders to land Brady if a new owner gets installed and hires Payton.  He's jumped on the bandwagon reference great defense, nice young offensive weapons.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Payton/Brady partnership has been talked about quite a bit, not necessarily landing here, but as a likely outcome if Payton gets a gig somewhere.

Has a lot to do with the Miami stuff from last year.  It's interesting that this Payton smoke continues to smolder around the Commanders and a new owner.  We'll see if there's anything to it at some point.

15 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Has a lot to do with the Miami stuff from last year.  It's interesting that this Payton smoke continues to smolder around the Commanders and a new owner.  We'll see if there's anything to it at some point.

While I’d hate losing a draft pick for Payton. If that meant there is a new owner and that dude is being fast tracked as a new owner I’d be excited for anything. 

The bonus of that is it sounds like pure hell for Dan to leave and watch that unfold considering it all sounds like a very old school Dan move back when he had a little clout left when he BSed that he was a young and “growing” owner

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think I’m one of the few who would understand a Brady move but not like it.

I’d I understand it and like it. But it feels so weird to have a great QB let alone legendary even if it’s at the end of their career that it seems too hard to believe that it has an even remote chance of happening 

• Like 2

Hoffman is right as for timing but there is no requirement for a coach or QB to be locked in at the start of FA. Of course it’s much neater that way so they can build the roster but let’s say some owner committed to pay me 20 million a year.  I can grin and bear it and  wait out the first month of FA.

Having said that it seems too wild for me to believe and the timeline is part of it 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman is right as for timing but there is no requirement for a coach or QB to be locked in at the start of FA. Of course it’s much neater that way so they can build the roster but let’s say some owner committed to pay me 20 million a year.  I can grin and bear it and  wait out the first month of FA.

Having said that it seems too wild for me to believe and the timeline is part of it 

That "unless there is some secret agreement" is the part that someone could believe just by virtue of what the 2 were trying to do with Miami.  I wouldn't put it past Payton.  He seems sneaky in that way.  It's at least fun to imagine and talk about if nothing else.  LOL

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

Secret agreements in place?

Like the one where Brady and Sean were forcing their way to Miami that got blown up by Flores?

As unlikely as it seems, this is exactly the kind of conspiracy theory with just enough kernels of truth to hook peeps. You connect some of the dots and they kinda line up enough to get you to raise an eyebrow, turn a head and ask "whats goin' on over there?" You keep telling yourself its crazy and small things keep adding up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

That "unless there is some secret agreement" is the part that someone could believe just by virtue of what the 2 were trying to do with Miami.  I wouldn't put it past Payton.  He seems sneaky in that way.  It's at least fun to imagine and talk about if nothing else.  LOL

Its possible.

But it feels unlikely that some prospective owner would have all that lined up.  Plus Dan is such a petty douche if he got wind of it - feels like he'd delay everything just out of spite.

Dan didn't major in elite A level QBs past their prime.  He majored in B minus level QBs past their prime.  And he loved the sexy name coach hires.

But in later years, he lost what little clout he had to lure big name coaches.  Rivera IMO is as good as Dan can get.  And while I like Rivera more than most.  There a whole bunch of coaches I'd take over Rivera that I don't think would ever be in play with Dan but might be with Dan gone.

lol, the way Dan has operated over the years, you'd think a Payton-Brady combination would drive Dan crazy if that's the set up as he leaves. :ols:. That would come off like what Dan would dream of doing but have no shot to pull off. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera IMO is as good as Dan can get.  And while I like Rivera more than most.  There a whole bunch of coaches I'd take over Rivera that I don't think would ever be in play with Dan but might be with Dan gone.

lol, the way Dan has operated over the years, you'd think a Payton-Brady combination would drive Dan crazy if that's the set up as he leaves. :ols:. That would come off like what Dan would dream of doing but have no shot to pull off. 

I'm fond of Rivera as well.  The man put up with so much crap since he's arrived it has given me a lot of respect for him.  Many on this board include 'fire Ron' in every post and like you I've never felt that way because we aren't getting anything better then him as long as Dan's the owner.

Could the Payton thing happen?  Don't know, I just know theres lots of chatter coming from none connected news outlets.  Like I said fun discussion, especially as you mention would absolutely drive Dan bonkers!

• Like 3

Thinking about it some more.  

A new owner if they are sharp about the marketing side of this team would likely want to do something dramatic to instigate fan interest.  And I do think we here aren't the audience.  We can talk everyday about our backup safeties let alone need some sexy PR boost to get our attention.  But this is a franchise in serious decline.  Irrelevant nationally and dead last in league attendance and by some accounts struggiling to capture the next generation of fans.    

To use a business analogy, we are kind of like Nokia.  Once we were the all the rage for cell phones.  No anymore.  Now are basically a has been organization.  I am not talking about winning or losing but general appeal to fans both locally and nationally.  The brand was once great, now its at the rock bottom.  Heck if the state of the franchise was like this when the London games started, it likely would be us not Jacksonville who would be sent to London every year to drub up interest and make up for lack of local sales.  

My point is while I do like Brady as a get at the football level -- the PR component of it would likely be a needed bonanza.  Among other things this team doesn't sell jerseys.  I can imagine at a minimum we'd have a top selling jersey for a change.  We don't really drive anything from a sales stand point.  We don't sell tickets, don't attract national TV audiences and even sometimes lose out local ratings wise to Dallas. 

Some like to say we've been there and done that with the aging has been QBs.  IMO while i get the point i think its a mile off.  To me its like saying we tried to provide a spark to our movie by hiring an aging Kevin Kline or Ally Sheedy and that didn't do it  and that's apples to apples with hiring an aging Tom Hanks.  Some hyperbole for me there to explain my point.   But yeah Brady isn't Mark Brunell.  M

Again, I don't see Brady coming here.  But if I were a new owner, I would chase Brady.  That to me is a no brainer.   I don't see the logistics though working out and more on point why would Tom say yes?

• Like 2

I don't see Payton and Brady coming to DC.  Too funny; many draft picks and sets this team back how many years' worth of picks?  No way IMO.  Bienemy will play itself out as I want to see Cincy win it all starting today and then beating the NFC champion.  We may have to wait weeks though if KC wins today.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Again, I don't see Brady coming here.  But if I were a new owner, I would chase Brady.  That to me is a no brainer. 

SIP, the dude's going on 46 years old.  We don't need a has been or Y.A Tittle or George Blanda on this team.  With all due respect let's hope a new owner doesn't go that direction but goes for youth and someone up a coming.  Who that would be I don't know. 

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't see Payton and Brady coming to DC.  Too funny; many draft picks and sets this team back how many years' worth of picks?  No way IMO.  Bienemy will play itself out as I want to see Cincy win it all starting today and then beating the NFC champion.  We may have to wait weeks though if KC wins today.  

I personally wouldn't trade a pick for Payton albeit I do like him as a coach.  Reading articles on this the story seems to be the Saints are playing hardball on the draft compensation.   Wonder if they end up relenting and deducing its better to get something versus nothing for Payton.  Payton's contract expires after the 2024 season so he's locked in for 2 more seasons if they pay hardball.

I do think though if we get a new owner and they do their research which I expect they will, they likely reach the conclusion that this team might need a splash.

It's not like Star Trek marketing the next movie to Trekkies.  We are the Treekies, we will watch anything they put out.  But if they are looking to be relevant to a mainstream audience they might look to make a move that at a minimum that would connote change and come off a bit splashy for a change. 

Some like to say this team is all about splash.  But that's so eons ago.  The last splash arguably was the trade up in 2012 for RG3.  

• Like 2

So we're supposed to believe that either a new owner (and potential coaching staff) will be fully in place by March 15th in time to woo Sean Payton and Tom Brady or that both of those guys will come here without having any idea who the owner will be or if they'll keep the current coaching staff?

Come on, guys.

• Like 1