Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm sure if he's their #1 prospect they'll at least inquire. It would be silly not to. But I'd imagine the conversation would either be:

"How much to trade up to 1?"

"We're not trading the pick"

"Ok thanks, bye"

or

"How much to trade up to 1?"

"Well, we're leaning towards staying here, but if you really really want it, then it's three 1sts and a 2nd"

"Ok thanks, bye"

Pretty much. If a perfect prospect is a 7 or whatever, and Caleb gets a 6.8, and Maye gets a 6.5 or whatever, and say, a Pickett would have been a 6.0 or something, how much is reasonable? If i didn't think we might have a poor mans Marino vs Elway situation here, which I kind of do (not there level of course, but for prospects in a class, Marino and Elway were neck and neck, just like Williams and Maye until Elway passed him their final seasons), how much to jump up and get the cleaner prospect? 

For me, I'd probably be willing to move a 2nd, and a 3rd, and maybe a player. But I imagine for the Bears to move down, theyd need multiple first even from the 2nd and 3rd overall slots and I just don't think Caleb's that thoroughly assured of being a better QB than Maye or Daniels to warrant such an overpay (say, #2 or #3 overall from a crap team, a '25 pick from a team likely to be crap again, and probably a day 2 pick minimum, even from slot 2 or 3). At the end of the day, I get that the NFL says, Williams is a once a 8-12 years caliber prospect, while Maye and Daniels look like a once every 3 to 5 years guys, but how much more is it worth to go up another tier to Caleb? For me, it is in no way worth giving up a potential top 10 pick in '25 PLUS a bunch of other goodies because I think Maye is gonna hit, and I think Daniels will at least partially hit and Caleb's got some minuses that genuinely bother me (mental make up, Lavar Ball stupidity worry is real). Maybe the dad seems like a problem like Elway's and Eli's, and isn't, or maybe, he is? I don't know, and honestly, I'd rather keep my picks.

Otoh, if I'm the NY Giants? I got no problem offering the Bears my 1st, and '25 and '26 firsts, and more goodies because otherwise, they're screwed (otoh, maybe moving from 6th to 3rd is cheaper? But I tend to doubt NE is interested in moving down either). 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is really mind blowing.

I get why Jayden Daniels has climbed up  to a top 5 pick after winning  the Heisman and having a historic season, but JJ McCarthy's post championship game rise  to a consensus top of tge draft pick is just baffling to me.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

18 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I get why Jayden Daniels has climbed up  to a top 5 pick after winning  the Heisman and having a historic season, but JJ McCarthy's post championship game rise  to a consensus top of tge draft pick is just baffling to me.

Hard to find a good field general.  A fragmented statement but the only way I can sum it up, CITR.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yeah it is kind of weird. It honestly makes me wonder if all of this stuff about him flying up the draft boards is largely media driven vs what the team scouts actually think. After the championship game he was, from what I saw, mostly considered as a 2nd round or maybe a fringe 1sr round guy. But then suddenly he's top 15, then he's talked about as maybe even top 10, then top 5, then #2 overall. Wut?

I might be able to understand more if he'd gone into that championship game, put the team on his back, and lit it up for 400 yards and 4 TDs or something. But that game was a microcosm of most of his college career: 140 yards 0 TDs 0 INTs, lean on the run game and defense, throw a few first downs to help move the chains, and don't make any stupid mistakes.

Usually a guy with limited stats will fly up the boards due to an insane level of physical potential (Josh Allen had a very underwhelming final year at Wyoming, stat-wise), but McCarthy doesn't really have that. He has an average arm, ok size, ok mobility. Just not sure what the deal is.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Doesn't surprise me that much. Here's one: Take a look at the 2009-2014 NFL Drafts and try to find one where the top RB's selected weren't total ---. That is the weirdest run of any I've seen (and in retrospect, round 1 wasn't very kind to QB's after 1983 either for a very, very long time). 

Also it needs to be noted, when you write something like that, provide some context:

The '13, '14, '19 and '22 classes, 4 of the past 10, were all considered complete and total ----. It is not surprising that the handful of firsts used on QB's in those drafts all busted, save for Kyler (who was expected to play baseball until late in the process). Additionally consider that many of the other years were speculative classes without clear studs? '16, '17, '21 after Lawrence, even '23, were all hard to evaluate. The only QB classes that seemed fairly straight forward were probably '15, '18, '20, and '23, and noone could tell what would come of Mariota (weird system) and Jameis (weird dude) in '15, or how to order '18, or who to take first in '23. 

Sometimes the misses make a lot of sense (Bortles, Trubisky, Danny Nickels and Haskins, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Pickett), and sometimes they come out of nowhere (Trevor Lawrence just looking average, Josh Allen discovery accuracy only after the competition got infinitely harder). 

It aint easy figuring out QB's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But there isn't a projected Caleb Williams level talent in next years draft, at least I haven't heard of one.

Sanders is probably the best QB of the group imo. And he isnt close to the top 3 in this draft. Maybe even the top 5. That is why he went back to school. 

43 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

His measurements are good and he has all of the traits you are looking for. And he is a winner. That is why he is climbing. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, illone said:

Fans here are going to lose their minds (temporarily) when JJ comes off the board at #2

😂😎

I don't think I'd lose my mind, I'd just be really confused and would say that GMAP had better knock this pick out of the park because if he passes on Maye and Daniels at #2 overall for McCarthy and McCarthy turns out to be a JAG while one or both of those guys go on to be studs, then his job is as good as gone. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, illone said:

Fans here are going to lose their minds (temporarily) when JJ comes off the board at #2

😂😎

Man, I like your jiving!  :ols:

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think I'd lose my mind, I'd just be really confused and would say that GMAP had better knock this pick out of the park because if he passes on Maye and Daniels at #2 overall for McCarthy and McCarthy turns out to be a JAG while one or both of those guys go on to be studs, then his job is as good as gone. 

That seems... fairly obvious. 

image.gif.887d216995169839aa7e900028b6e94c.gif

18 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Oh I'd go all Couva level melt down mad if McCarthy was the pick. I would lose my --- damned mind, for a long time. 

So, now I start going back as it is slow and hear JJ say that The Commanders were his first interview.  Could be something; might mean nothing.  We don't know.  One can try and connect the dots but.....

JJ McCarthy On His Meeting With The Washington Commanders At The NFL Combine #shorts (youtube.com)

Edited by RWJ

49 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Sanders is probably the best QB of the group imo. And he isnt close to the top 3 in this draft. Maybe even the top 5. That is why he went back to school. 

His measurements are good and he has all of the traits you are looking for. And he is a winner. That is why he is climbing. 

Except for actual production throwing the ball. I get the measurables, but he's coming from a run-dominant team. Also, I remember a post a little while back comparing his production with Luck, who came from the same system. The winner thing doesn't really mean anything because multiple championship quarterbacks have gone on to do almost nothing in the league. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have potential, but in terms of QB skill, he still trails Nix and Penix for me. 

Edited by NOLA2DC
  • Like 2