Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

add that to this from Standig

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 5.48.34 PM.png

The WP, in a recent article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/01/11/ron-rivera-franchise-quarterback-washington-football-team/

“If you’re going to make any kind of move [at quarterback], then you’ve got to make sure you understand what type of capital you’re going to have to use,” Rivera said. “If there’s somebody out there that we like enough to sit down and say, ‘Hey, look, we have to consider [giving up] these picks and that capital in terms of core players,’ we’ll have to talk about that.”

Washington is unlikely to find its quarterback in-house — Rivera did not mention Taylor Heinicke once during Tuesday’s news conference — or in free agency. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater are the only starters set to hit the market, and none are considered ascendant. Two of them, Fitzpatrick (hip) and Winston (ACL), are coming off serious injuries.

The team’s best options seem to be via trade or the draft. Expectations will be high for his third season, but Rivera said he won’t shy away from drafting a quarterback who needs time to develop. He added that he wouldn’t be afraid to start a rookie right away as he did with Cam Newton, the No. 1 pick in 2011, with the Carolina Panthers.

7 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

I read the Washington Post sports section on a daily basis.  I haven't read this anywhere.  There is a very good chance Heinicke will be the starter next year.

You should follow more of what Rivera is saying in the media, there is pretty much 0% chance Heinicke is the starter next year unless something goes very wrong and he’s been very clear about that. Whatever you’re reading isn’t representative of what’s actually happening. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You should follow more of what Rivera is saying in the media, there is pretty much 0% chance Heinicke is the starter next year unless something goes very wrong and he’s been very clear about that. Whatever you’re reading isn’t representative of what’s actually happening. 

I have followed.  At no point has Rivera said that Heinicke will be replaced.  You have to find someone better than Heinicke first.  It definitely won't be a rookie QB.  And there aren't too many free agent QBs that are significantly better than Heinicke, either.

1 minute ago, Theismann to HOF said:

I have followed.  At no point has Rivera said that Heinicke will be replaced.  You have to find someone better than Heinicke first.  It definitely won't be a rookie QB.  And there aren't too many free agent QBs that are significantly better than Heinicke, either.

Why won’t it definitely not be a rookie QB?

1 hour ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Jimmy G almost cost the 49ers the game last night with that disastrous INT he threw in the 4th quarter, which gave Dallas new life.  Jimmy G's decision-making and throws are very questionable at times.

Personally, I'm taking Heinicke over Jimmy G.  Heinicke is currently the best QB bargain in the league.  The WFT would probably have to pay Jimmy G at least $20M per year and he is not worth it in my opinion.

Well then you would be wrong also.

And that’s really all there is to say about that 

Except Jimmy G’s team made the playoffs, and they were winning it (and did win it) and TH’s team finished 7-10.

7 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

At no point has Rivera really harped on Heinicke as a real potential solution. And he has no reason to lie—in fact you could make a convincing argument that it would work in his favor to actually pretend he likes Heinicke more than he does, but he’s an honest guy and he’s not even attempting to do that because he knows it wouldn’t be believable. He’s making it really clear how he feels and knows he’s on the hot seat if he doesn’t get QB figured out. 

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Why won’t it definitely not be a rookie QB?

Did you see how well a "can't miss" prospect like Trevor Lawrence played this year?

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

At no point has Rivera really harped on Heinicke as a real potential solution. And he has no reason to lie—in fact you could make a convincing argument that it would work in his favor to actually pretend he likes Heinicke more than he does, but he’s an honest guy and he’s not even attempting to do that because he knows it wouldn’t be believable. He’s making it really clear how he feels and knows he’s on the hot seat if he doesn’t get QB figured out. 

How many starting QBs in this league have been deemed "the solution"....maybe 10?

The fact is most starting NFL QBs are fighting for their job every single season.  Heinicke is no different, except I think he's one of the top 15 QBs in the league.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well then you would be wrong also.

And that’s really all there is to say about that 

Except Jimmy G’s team made the playoffs, and they were winning it (and did win it) and TH’s team finished 7-10.

Yeah, Jimmy G's team made the playoffs....but not because of him.  

The 49ers would be a better team with Heinicke as their QB.  The WFT would have finished 3 - 14 or 4 - 13 with Jimmy G as their QB.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

I read the Washington Post sports section on a daily basis.  I haven't read this anywhere.  There is a very good chance Heinicke will be the starter next year.

Heinicke has a significant advantage over free-agent QBs because he is very familiar with Scott Turner's offense.  Heinicke will out-perform virtually any free-agent QB during next pre-season, because of his familiarity with the offense.  Any new free agent QB will struggle during their first season with the WFT, until they learn Turner's offense.  Just like Tom Brady struggled the first half of last season with Tampa Bay, until he got more familiar with the offense.

Scott Turner and Rivera both have a lot of trust in Heinicke, that's why he was brought to Washington as the Covid back-up QB a year ago.  No free agent QB is just going to walk in here and outperform Heinicke.

So the billowing smoke coming out of the WFT coaches and FO doesn't actually point to a fire? Ron has been very open about his desire to upgrade the QB position and about how important he sees that being for the future of the team.

And Ron and Turner basically never even mention Heinicke when pressed in multiple interviews on the future of the position. It's clear that he's not exactly at the top of their list, otherwise they'd at the very least say something along the lines of "Taylor will get every chance to complete for the starting job again this season." But nope, it's basically been complete silence when it comes to Heinicke.

TH was a fun story and he's easy to root for. But it's also easy to see that he just doesn't have the minimum amount of arm talent needed for an NFL QB, and along with that he makes plenty of poor decisions when he tries to make throws he's just not capable of making. On many occasions he's been completely bailed out by his receivers (and laid them out to dry for concussions as well).

The only way I see Heinicke as our day 1 start this coming season is if we completely strike out on trades and FA an a rookie we draft isn't quite ready to take the reins. It feel like you're living in a fantasy world.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

I'm not doubting your sincerity, but you're starting to sound a lot like Sandy and his gang of Alex Smith fanboys did a few years ago. They all thought that Alex was the best and he was the only reason that we ever won games. When we lost it was everyone else's fault apart from his.

11 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Did you see how well a "can't miss" prospect like Trevor Lawrence played this year?

How many starting QBs in this league have been deemed "the solution"....maybe 10?

The fact is most starting NFL QBs are fighting for their job every single season.  Heinicke is no different, except I think he's one of the top 15 QBs in the league.

Yeah, Jimmy G's team made the playoffs....but not because of him.  

The 49ers would be a better team with Heinicke as their QB.  The WFT would have finished 3 - 14 or 4 - 13 with Jimmy G as their QB.

Do you really believe that Heinicke is a top 15 QB?  Or is that schtick?

12 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

I kind of think Heinicke deserves more credit than some people on here give him, and I'm not particularly a Garoppolo fan. 

With that said, your take here is so comically ludicrous that I wonder if you're just trolling. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So the billowing smoke coming out of the WFT coaches and FO doesn't actually point to a fire? Ron has been very open about his desire to upgrade the QB position and about how important he sees that being for the future of the team.

And Ron and Turner basically never even mention Heinicke when pressed in multiple interviews on the future of the position. It's clear that he's not exactly at the top of their list, otherwise they'd at the very least say something along the lines of "Taylor will get every chance to complete for the starting job again this season." But nope, it's basically been complete silence when it comes to Heinicke.

TH was a fun story and he's easy to root for. But it's also easy to see that he just doesn't have the minimum amount of arm talent needed for an NFL QB, and along with that he makes plenty of poor decisions when he tries to make throws he's just not capable of making. On many occasions he's been completely bailed out by his receivers (and laid them out to dry for concussions as well).

The only way I see Heinicke as our day 1 start this coming season is if we completely strike out on trades and FA an a rookie we draft isn't quite ready to take the reins. It feel like you're living in a fantasy world.

Not the "arm talent"....yet he led 5 game-winning drives and completed 65% of his passes.  And he has athleticism and intangible qualities that most QBs lack.

That is total nonsense.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Not the "arm talent"....yet he led 5 game-winning drives and completed 65% of his passes.  And he has athleticism and intangible qualities that most QBs lack.

That is total nonsense.

His lack of arm strength shows up every time the ball lollipops up in the air. He also can't hit the tight iming throws because of it. You're right about the intangible qualities for sure. But he has a sub par NFL arm and that leads to him making some poor decisions with the ball trying to make throws his arm can't make. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I kind of think Heinicke deserves more credit than some people on here give him, and I'm not particularly a Garoppolo fan. 

With that said, your take here is so comically ludicrous that I wonder if you're just trolling. 

Garrapolo would not have won those 5 very close games for the WFT against the Giants, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, and Raiders.  This team easily could have finished 2 - 15 or 3 - 14.

Just now, KDawg said:

His lack of arm strength shows up every time the ball lollipops up in the air. He also can't hit the tight iming throws because of it. You're right about the intangible qualities for sure. But he has a sub par NFL arm and that leads to him making some poor decisions with the ball trying to make throws his arm can't make. 

Yet he led 5 game-winning drives and completed 65% of his passes.

If what you said is true, more of his passes would have been deflected or intercepted and his completion percentage would be much lower.

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I thought Mayock was going to get another year. He wasn't great by any means and whiffed badly on Ruggs, Arnette, and Ferrell but overall was as good as most GM's I would say at least so far as the draft is concerned. 

Leatherwood looks like a poor 1st round pick also.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

6 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Garrapolo would not have won those 5 very close games for the WFT against the Giants, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, and Raiders.  This team easily could have finished 2 - 15 or 3 - 14.

14cf375a-b065-405c-b1fe-bb665d76f649_tex

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If you want Carr that is probably good.

I don't understand why people think the raiders will get rid of Carr.  He is an above average NFL QB who had success this year with not much receiving help and waller missing time. Carr is only 30 and the raiders aren't hurting for cap space.  The new coach should be excited he inherited a solid QB instead of starting from scratch which many new hires have to do.