Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If Daniels is the pick you are going to see a lot more QB's stay in college. Especially since Purdy was successful. I dont understand the new NFL valuing experience over potential. It goes against everything you have ever thought was right about the draft. But here we are. 

They don't want to take an early pay cut by going pro.  OJ would've stayed in college longer if he could've too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So your theory is if a QB is good looking they are destined for failure? Tom Brady has done modelling for Christ's sake. 

Before or after making a name for himself?

Before, there weren't going to be any modeling agency signing this guy up lol

0f9a378014_brady_02262008.jpg?w=535

• Haha 1

Just now, Jumbo said:

Brace yourself for resurgence of recently departed folks who will post as though they are far more JD enthusiasts than Commanders fans and some size of urge of newcomers doing the same. Those who have been here awhile will know whereof I speak. 😄

It's interesting that for the longest time Maye was seen more as a "different but generally equal" prospect to JD but recently is apparently more thought of as  someone distinctly a step down and "not that close to JD" as a #2 pick, specifically.

I thought at first it was kinda weird we had such an influx of "highly enthused" (avoiding the negative term "fanboy" ) but none for Maye. But I soon figured it just reflected how much more fans followed the LSU program/games. 

Man. It's hard to wait for #2 to happen tonight, but then it's going to be really hard waiting for tomorrow and (who knows yet for sure how many) really important picks  in round 2 & 3.

😬

I would’ve been banging the drum for Burrow too 😉 but we took a QB a draft early. Thanks Dan! 

• Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You think this stops when we pick someone?

You sweet summer child 

I’ve been through it all my brotha I’m just ready to get going with who we pick. I still think Maye could be it 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My point was more that the extra experience will be what ended up making him the #2 pick in the draft. He was a 4th or 5th rounder last year at best. The extra year worked for him. So more QB's will go back to school to try to replicate it. 

Got it - and fully agreed on that. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, that's what makes any 3 way deal or any trade from 13-3 and then from 3-2 hard to figure out and unlikely to happen even if it makes sense. Just not enough there from the Raiders to make it happen.

I think it would take 13+44 + a pair of future 1's to get from 13 to 3. And then to get from 3 to 2, they'd have #77 and future 2's left to deal us, which won't be enough.

I don't mean to give you a hard time.  Just having some fun.

your trade down posts though, at least some of them feel so wild that its hard for me entertain them that seriously because they came off like how can other teams serve our needs versus how these trades typically go down.

And getting their desired QB AND also a horde of draft picks at the same time feels awesome -- but it also feels like the Madden version of transactions.  It's like what if I can eat that pizza, pile on extra sausage on it AND lose 10 pounds on the same meal.  It's an awesome thought but it feels wild fantasy to me.  But to each their own.  Will see.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean to give you a hard time.  Just having some fun.

your trade down posts though, at least some of them feel so wild that its hard for me entertain them that seriously because they came off like how can other teams serve our needs versus how these trades typically go down.

And getting their desired QB AND also a horde of draft picks at the same time feels awesome -- but it also feels like the Madden version of transactions.  It's like what if I can eat that pizza, pile on extra sausage on it AND lose 10 pounds on the same meal.  It's an awesome thought but it feels wild fantasy to me.  But to each their own.  Will see.

Totally. I understand I'm teetering on the fence of Madden world with some of these. Mostly they're in response to folks asking about trade-downs with LV. I just don't see any scenario where we go down to #13. But I do see an opening to go down to #3 if the Raiders come up to #3. But yeah, chances are LV would come to #3 if and only if we take Maye at #2. They don't really have any reason at this stage to trade to #3 and then to #2 just because we want to get our QB and some extra picks, you're 100% that I'm playing in that world more on this trade.

• Like 1

Its very hard that so many quoted arguments w/him take the stance that he has a higher floor than Maye. That's always struck me as ridiculous. If he misses, it will be because of either injury, or because like so many others with his profile, the holes in it, and the major issues were historically consistently associated with mega busts: the throwing with anticipation concern, the very late breakout as a 5th year guy concern, the p2s ratio and not going through progressions or throwing when scrambling, the not using the whole field, all things that if you look sketchy on in college, usually don't turn you mediocre, but rather render you a total bust, Paxton Lynch kind of out of the league during first contract level bust. 

Maye isn't that. Maye's tools are so ridiculous, even if he can't sort his feet out, or his accuracy issues sufficiently, or his throwing mechanics to the satisfaction of coaches, there's always going to be someone in the league that wants to bet on his arm and that they can fix what surrounds those pot of gold traits he does have. He has the profile that insures people will keep convincing themselves for a decade like with Jeff George's arm. Daniels doesn't have that. If he gets RGIII'd out of the league with an injury, that's a wrap, he's gonna be done 1st contract or early 2nd, if he just busts on his tools period, and the gaps that in his profile, he'll go the way of Malik Willis and Mariota: to the bottom of the depth chart, eventually to backup and then out, or even worse, get Lynched/tebow'd. 

The idea that Daniels has a higher floor, that a lot of people in the media are parroting from scouts, and FO people just strikes me as absurd, and is a reminder of why they so often get QB's horribly wrong. There's a reason guys like Pickett went from a top 20 pick, to worth no more than a late day 3 pick in two years, and its because they looked at the wrong things, ignored the wrong things, and praised the wrong things while there was a giant chasm right in front of them ready to swallow them like the one in Monty Python in the Holy grail.

Daniels is definitely one of four things:

A Grand Slam

A single like Justin Fields

Out due to injury

Mega Bust.

Becuase of his athletic tools, as long as he doesn't get a career ending injury, he'll have a place, like Mariota has, but the reality that he could just bust horribly due to passing issues should be obvious, and same w/injury related issues.

He's tantalizing, for sure, but he's 100% a prospect I'd rather have someone else take. 

I'm shocked he's #2, and can't help but be torn over missing data that would explain it (as well as concerning stuff w/Maye, JJ etc), and then I keep bouncing back to: this is the same league that fell in love with Bryce Young over Stroud, with Zach Wilson over Sam Howell and Brock Purdy, that elevated Danny Nickels to 5th overall, that questioned the hell out of Herbert, that preferred to Trubisky to Watson after Watson was an absolute monster in college, and Mahomes as well, that told us Mariota and Wentz were well worth the #2, that Weeden should go 3 rounds ahead of Russell Wilson, that liked Brock Lobster like I kinda did (I did, admittedly), that loved Ponder and Manuel when a straw poll of any random drunk or sober FSU fans would have warned them off immediately. This league is utterly hopeless at evaluating QB's, so Daniels at #2 would fit that, then again, maybe Maye at #3 would too, we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

My humble and homer take:

ceiling-slightly less running Lamar Jackson that can actually beat you with his arm and accuracy (takes the league by storm)

floor-Tyrod Taylor 

Nice analogy, as mentioned yesterday, Shawn Siegele called him Burrow and Lamar's love child, if he can stay healthy, they are a pure analytics group at rotoviz. 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Whoever is saying it, they are playing with my emotions.

Me too.

I like McCarthy, been high on him since last year.  

But IMHO he's not a top 10 pick.  Picking him at #2 would feel underwhelming.   Will see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

there's always going to be someone in the league that wants to bet on his arm

This is true. And list of rocket arm failures is large. I want Maye because I believe his issues are coachable. But so did the coaches that drafted every single one of those failures. 

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Brace yourself for resurgence of recently departed folks who will post as though they are far more JD enthusiasts than Commanders fans and some size of urge of newcomers doing the same. Those who have been here awhile will know whereof I speak. 😄

It's interesting that for the longest time Maye was seen more as a "different but generally equal" prospect to JD but recently is apparently more thought of as  someone distinctly a step down and "not that close to JD" as a #2 pick, specifically.

I thought at first it was kinda weird we had such an influx of "highly enthused" (avoiding the negative term "fanboy" ) but none for Maye. But I soon figured it just reflected how much more fans followed the LSU program/games. 

Man. It's hard to wait for #2 to happen tonight, but then it's going to be really hard waiting for tomorrow and (who knows yet for sure how many) really important picks  in round 2 & 3.

😬

Maye's my pick and always will be my pick. I'm so sure he'll be in a Washington jersey (or at least a hat) in 7 hours, I'm willing to stake my membership here and leave for good if it doesn't happen. Everything we've heard up to now has been noise and it's lying season. Maye is the one, everything else is social media nonsense.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I'm willing to stake my membership here and leave for good if it doesn't happen.

Dont do that man. Just cheer for whoever we pick. Or **** about him. That's what being a fan is all about. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Full Text:

I asked John Beck, who trains Jayden Daniels, about Daniels' weight and if it will be an issue in the NFL: "When you see his frame it’s easy to add weight to it. You don’t want a guy with his athletic ability to be 220. That takes away something from him. He’s probably always going to be on that leaner side because of his game. But his frame he can put weight on. He’s going to progress as he gets into his 20’s. if you stand side by side with Jayden or put him next to others, you can see that weight is going to be added on as years go. As long as he can maintain his size and speed as he puts on weight that’s going to be amazing."

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not Standig.  But Keim among a few others.  

I don't think anybody has a clue (unless there has been a report today which I've missed, I've been super busy) who's ahead of who.  I'd bet the only people who know that are Peters, Newmark, Quinn and Harris. MAYBE more people know now since we're 7 hours away and more than 4 people will be in the draft room tonight.  

The McCarthy ahead of Maye stuff could very well be true.  It could also be misinformation, or it could be being pushed by an outside source.  

I find it intriguing Keim changed his tune on McCarthy from "probably not" to "don't count him out.  There's something behind that.  But what, tough to tell.  

If anyone is worried about Jayden’s weight, worry no more! He’s posted him eating a waffle for breakfast and now just posted him chowing down on Buffalo Wild Wings. Guess he’s sponsored by Bisquick and B Dubs now :lol: weight gain szn [ON]

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Full Text:

I asked John Beck, who trains Jayden Daniels, about Daniels' weight and if it will be an issue in the NFL: "When you see his frame it’s easy to add weight to it. You don’t want a guy with his athletic ability to be 220. That takes away something from him. He’s probably always going to be on that leaner side because of his game. But his frame he can put weight on. He’s going to progress as he gets into his 20’s. if you stand side by side with Jayden or put him next to others, you can see that weight is going to be added on as years go. As long as he can maintain his size and speed as he puts on weight that’s going to be amazing."

John Beck, Skins legend! 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too.

I like McCarthy, been high on him since last year.  

But IMHO he's not a top 10 pick.  Picking him at #2 would feel underwhelming.   Will see.

Nope. It would be nuts, but honestly, I like his profile better than Daniels, but otoh, he's definitely got a lower ceiling, probably a higher floor, but definitely the lower ceiling, so its interesting to consider that. For me, just trade down then and risk missing him because he's clearly not a cant miss guy. He's more of a floor bet like Mac Jones 3 years ago, though maybe a better profile, not sure. 

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bro you underestimate the power of the dad bod. 

Dude...I like you but again, you clearly didn't read the whole thread.  Tim Brady was addressed.  Male equivalent of "She's all That."  Gisele cleaned him up on a dare from her model friends and struck gold.  This couldn't be more obvious.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont do that man. Just cheer for whoever we pick. Or **** about him. That's what being a fan is all about. 

I intend to do that, but it's easy to get distracted with all these click-bait articles and videos. I get that Maye is old news and our media sustains itself by propping up fresh news and speculation, but facts remain facts whether the media likes it or not. I don't feel Maye has ever left our sights.