Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

With JD, yes we've seen it in college from last year to this but how do we know he hasn't now peaked? And why did it take him so long for the light to come on?

I think both could be just as much toss-ups for different reasons. Just like I think both have their reasons why they could or couldn't start right away.

I prefer Maybe because he's younger, has better traits (except straight line speed, where Daniels beats him) and has already shown lots of ability to make NFL level throws, whereas Daniels has limited tape showing those.

I don’t know if JD had peaked or not. I never said he was going to continue his upward growth. He very well may have peaked. If so, he is pretty good as-is. Not sure why it took him so long. Maybe it was ASU, maybe it was just him.

Maye hasn’t had enough time to show growth yet over JD, simply because he is younger.  That’s the point. We’ve seen JD grow in the last 2 years. Perhaps Maye will too, or not. Just saying the FO will probably take the guy who has improved with age, over the guy who that is yet to be determined.

Edited by Kalu44

I’ve seen several comments saying that JJ has the highest floor of these guys. I think that’s an irrelevant factor when you’re picking at 2. 

None of these guys’ floor is good enough to win an NFC title. 

Picking at 2, I think you need to draft for upside, not fear of the downside. And if JJ has the highest upside of these guys I’ll eat my hat (an old, dirty Orioles hat with the bird on it).

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

I’m saying there is no proof he will

Go watch his 2022 season. It was on par with some of the best in college football history. And he did it as a first year starter. If not for Caleb Williams he wins the Heisman in 2022 imo. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Go watch his 2022 season. It was on par with some of the best in college football history. And he did it as a first year starter. If not for Caleb Williams he wins the Heisman in 2022 imo. 

People forgot how dominant Maye was that year. I think last year was more a product of the team around him falling apart. Same thing happened with Jordan Love actually. His last year his #s plummeted because they had like 9 new guys on offense and a new OC.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

JJ at #2 would be a massive call. 

Absolutely.

The kind of call that might make an owner want to speak to each of the prospects, especially this McCarthy guy,  face to face.

The kind of call that could change the originally announced (by Keim) plan of interviewing Jayden on Monday and Tuesday, followed by Maye on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Into a plan where McCarthy is added to the interview list, along with Penix and everyone, including Josh Harris, gets to see and speak with all of them face to face on the same day, with no recency bias.

Picking McCarthy at second overall, would be beyond a bold move. The organization would be scrutinized and subjected to extreme ridicule across the league.

But, if we get it right we and especially, Adam Peters, are conquering heroes, basking in utter glory, riding chariots into Rome with garlands draped around our necks.

If we ultimately end up drafting JJ at 2, I will absolutely admire the balls, courage, and decisiveness of Peters to trust his gut, and tack directly into a hurricane, knowing full well that there were safer options available, and that he will be second guessed by just about every talking head in captivity.

I will also have tremendous respect for Harris, for his faith in allowing the man he  hired to make the call, when so many owners, including the one currently hunting foxes across the pond, would have overruled the move.

But it's got to work out.

Full stop.

Bottom line: JJ must prove, on and off the field, that he was worth the second pick.

Wow!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It was an amazing season. I agree. But how do you explain his accuracy issues on simple plays this year? Look, I’m not firmly in any QB’s camp. I’m just telling you reasons why I think the FO will pick JD. I really like Maye, just wish he was more accurate. Even his scripted Pro Day had some strange misses. Hopefully he cleans that stuff up in the NFL. 

• Thumb down 1

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He wasn’t  a finalist for the Heisman that year. It would’ve probably been Stroud if not for Caleb 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

JJ must prove on and off the field that he was worth the second pick.

Wow!

Several people have talked about a trade down scenario to draft JJ would be a fireable offense for the FO (if they’re wrong), so picking JJ at 2 and him not panning out would seem to be a fireable offense as well. 

If you’re gonna go against the grain…you gotta be right. 

Let’s just hope they get it right. 

1 minute ago, Kalu44 said:

It was an amazing season. I agree. But how do you explain his accuracy issues on simple plays this year? Look, I’m not firmly in any QB’s camp. I’m just telling you reasons why I think the FO will pick JD. I really like Maye, just wish he was more accurate. Even his scripted Pro Day had some strange misses. Hopefully he cleans that stuff up in the NFL. 

I will be happy with either one of them. The one thing that makes it tough is they are both athletic and capable runners. So trying to match one to Kingsbury's system is hard. Because they would both be good in it imo. I was not real high on Daniels at first. But then I went and watched more tape and I am high on him. His body type and arm concern me at the next level for sure. But I understand why his athleticism will be so valued as well. Its a great time to have the 2nd pick in the draft this year for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

The draft can’t get here fast enough. 

That’s said we then have to deal with the predictable melt downs of some posters if ‘their’ guy isn’t the pick. 

Sigh. 

There’s a part of me that doesn’t want us to draft Daniels simply because it feels like some of the posters vehemently opposed to him might have trouble supporting him, including being hyper critical in-season.  And that likely carries over to the staff as well.  It’s kinda dumb (for me to feel that way), but that’s where I’m at.  Really want us to be able to get behind whoever we draft, and continue the feel good vibes toward the coaches/FO.

To be fair, the same could be said about the other qbs, but the negativity seems a bit more subdued as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Footwork, which was iffy for a combination of reasons including the change in system from 22 to 23.

But footwork is one if the more fixable things and will generally improve the rest of his game as he improves there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Something is in the water because there have been a lot more Maye predictions the last few days after it seemed like it was universal for Daniels a week ago or so.

Rick Spielman also came out and said the Commanders are gonna take Maye and remember he was part of our Gm search, so if anyone would know anything it'd be him.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

There’s a part of me that doesn’t want us to draft Daniels simply because it feels like some of the posters vehemently opposed to him might have trouble supporting him, including being hyper critical in-season.  And that likely carries over to the staff as well.  It’s kinda dumb (for me to feel that way), but that’s where I’m at.  Really want us to be able to get behind whoever we draft, and continue the feel good vibes toward the coaches/FO.

To be fair, the same could be said about the other qbs, but the negativity seems a bit more subdued as far as I can tell.

That’s gonna happen if they struggle no matter who is drafted it’s Extremskins after all lol. There’s a bit of RG3 ptsd with Daniel’s which  i understand. No one wants that again. If the QB drafted shows something good for the long term and wins a few I think all of it goes away quick. 

I think we're gonna draft penix at 2.

Think about it we have no left tackle and have made no apparent attempts to acquire one, why you ask?

Because we're bringing in a left handed quarterback. 

(Disclaimer I don't believe a word I just said but it's a crazy theory I haven't heard yet so what the hell) 

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If not for Caleb Williams he wins the Heisman in 2022 imo. 

25 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He wasn’t  a finalist for the Heisman that year. It would’ve probably been Stroud if not for Caleb 

They release the votes for that award. Maye got a few votes, but he was 10th overall and like QB7.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-2022.html

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

They release the votes for that award. Maye got a few votes, but he was 10th overall and like QB7.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-2022.html

I wonder why the Heisman is pretty indicative of future nfl success for the positions other than quarterback. 

If a running back gets it, he's almost guaranteed a solid or spectacular career but if it's a quarterback it could be joe burrow or it could be eric crouch.

Although very recently the quarterbacks who have gotten it do seem to have a better track record in the nfl.

54 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Bad O’lines tend to speed up a QBs clock and they start to rush their process. Messes with their footwork and mechanics. We saw that with Sam Howell as the season went on - those sacks, hits and pressures wear on guy even if it’s subconscious.

The occasional misses are a function of footwork and related mechanics.

• Like 1

I doubt Peters is seriously considering Daniels.

Jayden is a RPO Qb and operated from the SHOTGUN for his entire college career AND didn't have the film study nailed to be able to read and diagnose things pre-snap. This does not fit the profile of the type of player that Peters wins with or even has experience with.

Where Jayden improved greatly is post snap reads, which is great, but he still isn't ready to handle pre-snap reads, and he hasnt proven he can play under center. This is kind of a big deal.

For context, I took a look at Adam Peters' draft history with regards to the position.

Here is an exhaustive list of all QBs he was directly or indirectly involved in drafting over the years:

Patriots:
Kliff Kingsbury - 2003
Matt Cassell - 2005
Kevin O'Connell - 2008

Broncos:
Tom Brandstater - 2009
Tim Tebow - 2010
Brock Osweiler - 2012
Zac Dysert - 2013
Trevor Siemian - 2015
Paxton Lynch - 2016

San Fran:
CJ Beathard - 2017
Trey Lance - 2021
Brock Purdy - 2022

I only see two names on this list that would be considered RPO players: Tebow and Lance. (*Note: Adam Peters was a scout during the 2010 season, and Josh McDaniels gets most of the blame for the Tebow pick)

Peters was in New England during the first part of Brady's run, and was in Denver when Peyton Manning played there. Both pocket QBs.

Peters came on board with San Fran the year after Kaepernick left, and they quickly acquired Garoppolo, another pocket QB.

Purdy is a pocket QB.

Do we really think Peters is going to target an RPO player when he has never had success with that type of player before?

I think it's been Maye vs JJ all along and the NFL draftniks went WAY too hard in the paint with regards to Jayden Daniels. 

JD does not fit the Adam Peters profile. 
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, illone said:

I doubt Peters is seriously considering Daniels.

Jayden is a RPO Qb and operated from the SHOTGUN for his entire college career AND didn't have the film study nailed to be able to read and diagnose things pre-snap. This does not fit the profile of the type of player that Peters wins with or even has experience with.

Where Jayden improved greatly is post snap reads, which is great, but he still isn't ready to handle pre-snap reads, and he hasnt proven he can play under center. This is kind of a big deal.

For context, I took a look at Adam Peters' draft history with regards to the position.

Here is an exhaustive list of all QBs he was directly or indirectly involved in drafting over the years:

Patriots:
Kliff Kingsbury - 2003
Matt Cassell - 2005
Kevin O'Connell - 2008

Broncos:
Tom Brandstater - 2009
Tim Tebow - 2010
Brock Osweiler - 2012
Zac Dysert - 2013
Trevor Siemian - 2015
Paxton Lynch - 2016

San Fran:
CJ Beathard - 2017
Trey Lance - 2021
Brock Purdy - 2022

I only see two names on this list that would be considered RPO players: Tebow and Lance. (*Note: Adam Peters was a scout during the 2010 season, and Josh McDaniels gets most of the blame for the Tebow pick)

Peters was in New England during the first part of Brady's run, and was in Denver when Peyton Manning played there. Both pocket QBs.

Peters came on board with San Fran the year after Kaepernick left, and they quickly acquired Garoppolo, another pocket QB.

Purdy is a pocket QB.

Do we really think Peters is going to target an RPO player when he has never had success with that type of player before?

I think it's been Maye vs JJ all along and the NFL draftniks went WAY too hard in the paint with regards to Jayden Daniels. 

JD does not fit the Adam Peters profile. 

83% of all offensive snaps last season were out of shotgun. 

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/15/jared-goff-under-center-shotgun-passing-stat-splits-percentages/#

• Like 3