Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

22 hours ago, illone said:

4-5 wins?  I dont know about that… Nussmeier played well vs an underrated wisconsin defense in the bowl game. Not saying Nussy is better by any stretch but he isnt 5 losses worse than Jayden. 

Lose to A&M, Florida, Arkansas, and Missouri with Nuss. Nuss is going to be a good one but Daniels put the team on his back in those games. They don’t make a bowl game with Nuss, that’s how bad the defense was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know the trade back is what you've been on and off pining for -- for a long time.

But the impression i get is the opposite.  There is so much mixed takes from NFL insiders as to what happens at #2.  But the one point they almost all rally and converge on is that Washington is sticking at #2.  If you were a Patriots fan though this would be a dream period for you, a lot of smoke that they might trade back.

I don't get the vibe that Peters wants to dabble in the land of mediocrity-QB purgatroy with a trade back.  Feels very much like they are either torn between 2 QBs and want to dissect every detail or are in the lets make sure our preference is the right guy by diving into that player right to the end.

Not so much what I’m rooting for or hoping for. And I should clarify it would ONLY be from 2 to 3 where we’d get access to one of these guys. I can’t see these guys trading out of the QB sweet spot. I still think they stay at #2. 

So we either have no idea who we like best or we like them all equally. Both of which lend to a small trade down more than if we had clearly locked into a favorite. 

• Thumb up 1

"Good example of how the Commanders are keeping things under wraps. Look at the various updates this morning on the QB visits. All kinda saying the same thing but not exactly lined up either or at least not initially.

I was told last week Daniels would arrive Monday. Instead, pushed back to today. There were reports that Maye would arrive the next day. Now, the (accurate) report is they will be hanging with the team together, plus JJM and Penix (and Josh Harris there to support AP/DQ)

The group activity plans were broken into two parts. Last week, a bunch of players were together. Another outing happening again this week . Didn't initially sound like the QBs were part of the group. Now it appears they are.

This is just for a semi-perfunctory 30 visit, let alone a coaching search or QB-decision process. The Commanders are doing their own thing, that's for sure."

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not so sure.  McCarthy strikes me more killing it one on one talking with adults versus joshing with the other kids.

This might favor Maye, I'd think.  He's jocular and has a baiting style of sense of humor which i think might work easier in a crowd like this.

Jayden is shy.  So I wonder about him.  But I recall seeing him joke around with Maye so I think those two get on well.

I think it will be between Maye and JJ McCarthy.  As you mentioned and we have heard, McCarthy nails his interviews one on one.  

22 hours ago, Ghost of said:

If there's

"they'd have won a title if not for the defense"

Alexa, what's "complementary football?"

A title with a top 50 defense, not top 10,20, 30 or even 40 or whatever Michigan was rocking. A top 50. LSU has always had a good if not great defense. It was historically bad, so yeah just give them a below average defense and they wax everyone. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

So they have 20 coming today and tomorrow out of the 30 they are allowed. Definitely seems different but if you do the same as every other team, the agents and consultants prepare you for it. Going outside the box might disrupt that. Plus it might confuse other teams on what your intentions on later in the draft as well. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

The Commanders are doing their own thing, that's for sure

They are.  And it makes me uncomfortable.  We always try and do everything our own way, and it never works.  Why can't we ever just copy what the successful teams do?  Why do we always have to take a dump on conventional wisdom?

Just now, Going Commando said:

They are.  And it makes me uncomfortable.  We always try and do everything our own way, and it never works.  Why can't we ever just copy what the successful teams do?  Why do we always have to take a dump on conventional wisdom?

Were you uncomfortable during FA? 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Ghost of said:

Yes, people keep having this argument because other people (who almost never watched college football more than casually and certainly did not follow Michigan) told them you can't take X, Y, Z seriously and therefore it's just between the two guys. 

You know it's funny, near the end of the season, I don't know anyone who thought Daniels was a top 3 guy (as in top 3 picks.) Now he is. People just rolled over on it.  But if someone suggests McCarthy, the younger-than-Maye even, the best all-around metrics, former five-star with 4.5 speed and the fifth fastest shuttle at the combine (of all positions) state and national HS champion and now college champion is worthy of consideration---no, nope. Can't do it.

You sort of have to show you’re not just a game manager to go top 3 in the draft. If this team drafts JJ , just sets back the team another 5 plus years. Would be disastrous. 

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

So they have 20 coming today and tomorrow out of the 30 they are allowed. Definitely seems different but if you do the same as every other team, the agents and consultants prepare you for it. Going outside the box might disrupt that. Plus it might confuse other teams on what your intentions on later in the draft as well. 

if you do the same as every other team, the agents and consultants prepare you for it. Going outside the box might disrupt that

Brilliant insight!

Also, they kept this completely under wraps until today.

You can prepare for a lot of things, if you know they're happening.

You can't prepare for chaos and you can't prepare for the unexpected-- and in a sense, this is both.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

think based on what?

Gut and from what we have been given via social media.  You nor I or anyone else know who the #2 is going to be.  I like how the F.O. and coaching staff are working together.  Whoever it is and we all have our choice (QB we like) I and hopefully everyone will support going forward.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Bruce and Cerrato wern't good at their job but tough for me to think of outside the box uncoventional thinking aside from letting their boss, Synder make some the bigger scouting decisions.  The unconventional part back then was having GMs who were already punchlines elsewhere and hoping they'd be different here or having HCs play GM.

When I think of Peters -- its a different world.  Dan's clownshow doesn't filter in my mind as a running script with new ownership.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Gut and from what we have been given via social media.  You nor I or anyone else know who the #2 is going to be.  I like how the F.O. and coaching staff are working together.  Whoever it is and we all have our choice (QB we like) I and hopefully everyone will support going forward.  

We don't know.  But, I suspect @KDawg might ala the coaching search but I haven't PM'd him yet to ask.  I got a sneaking suspicion @Koolblue13 knows too, he's gone quiet lately on this thread.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm convinced drafting Daniels over Maye is a mistake, and I don't have any interest in rationalizing or normalizing a mistake.  I can't cope with a loss of faith in the team by trying to trick myself.  I'm just going to have to take a step back if/when we do it, and accept that my expectations got too high.  This team is not worth high blood pressure.

I don't have anywhere your football knowledge, but as a true FAN of the team, your takes on 'loss of faith' and 'expectations' in this team seem to mirror mine to a tee. Better than anyone else has put into words in any post. I also feel a real dread about picking Daniels over Maye because to me, he doesn't have near the shelf-life that Maye or even McCarthy have. And given our circumstances, and what we are building, I see that as extremely short-sighted.

Where I differ on this a bit is with two things:

1. I really do trust the organization as a whole now. From Harris, to GMAP, to Quinn, Kingsbury, and even the players we are bringing in. IF IT HAPPENS to be that we take Daniels, I have to trust that these guys did their work and truly think he's the best candidate for the job. At which point I will pray to the Lord that they were right, while at the same time, pray for the success and protection of said candidate.

But, while I won't hope for the failure of Maye, if he goes to another team, I will closely monitor his success/failure of his career, and always second-guess the wisdom of passing on a prospect that turns into a perennial contender and franchise QB if ours doesn't and he does. I don't want to start this journey with this new team with dissention and animosity. But that brings me to my second point.

2. All this Daniels hype is just that. Hype. Nobody knows jack right now. It's both amazing and annoying as hell for us fans. But looking further into the Daniels hype, you gotta look at the source. Any real meat of this hype comes from QandA's with Dan Quinn. Set aside all the trusted coaches and scouts Keim and Sheffer have asked to opine on the subject, Dan Quinn is the only one who's quoted anything of substance. And his answers look and seem to be touting Daniels. From being a 'game-changer', to being a 'nightmare to game-plan for', He's been praising Daniels harder than Maye.

Now, Quinn is a savvy coach. And He's part of the new team that is 'hush' on this pick. To me, those quotes were as much dis-information as they were complimentary of a really good football player. And in this case, totally worthless as to how he/we are leaning.

I think the HONEST giveaway and the real meat to how we are leaning is the reaction Dan Quinn had at Drake Maye's pro day. With that big smile and his body language as he turned and fake-walked away from Maye while he was dropping 50yd dimes to his receivers in-stride, spoke more than ANYTHING Quinn has said thus far. In fact, for a savvy coach that is part of this no-leak FO, I was surprised to see him give so much away. 

So, in conclusion, I feel like I have been paroled after a 30yr stint in San Quinton. I've been given a new lease on life with this crowd. I finally don't have to shut off my TV after week 3 because it's already hopeless and I care more about my health and peace-of-mind than to jeopardize myself and keep watching the same train-wreck decade after futile decade. 

In spite of all the Daniels hype, my gut says they take Maye. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce and Cerrato wern't good at their job but tough for me to think of outside the box uncoventional thinking aside from letting their boss, Synder make some the bigger scouting decisions.  The unconventional part back then was having GMs who were already punchlines elsewhere and hoping they'd be different here or having HCs play GM.

When I think of Peters -- its a different world.  Dan's clownshow doesn't filter in my mind as a running script with new ownership.

I suspect @KDawg might ala the coaching search but I haven't PM'd him yet to ask. 

Suspect based on what?

18 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I would not discount it either as hard as that may be for some to swallow :) 

Not only is JJ going to nail his interviews...I think he'll stand out amongst his peers. If you watch any interview of the top 4 QBs...JJ clearly stands out with charisma. 

Just now, jg77 said:

Not only is JJ going to nail his interviews...I think he'll stand out amongst his peers. If you watch any interview of the top 4 QBs...JJ clearly stands out with charisma. 

I am glad that JJ can get up on a podium and speak.  Maybe he can be a public speaker or media person when he leaves the NFL after an average at best career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Some kind soul on YouTube has posted some great videos of the top QB's - "all throws and runs." I'm no stranger to going out on a limb on prospects. I'm starting to sour a little on Daniels - and I do mean a little nothing major but, I now am of the opinion that JJ is my QB#2. He's just as good an athlete with a better arm as Daniels for me. I still think Caleb belongs in a tier of his own. I still need to watch a lot more including Maye. 

The draft is 9 days away. WTF Are you waiting for?

With all the big money us good people spend on this site, the least you could do is get your work done in a timely fashion!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952tp15vgobmkq2uuapov

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Well, that’s good cause his football film sure ain’t much to look at.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

19 hours ago, illone said:

Yep, sure is.  JJ is 5 months younger than Drakey.

One could EASILY argue that JJ is the most polished QB in this draft when you extrapolate for age/experience. 

Most polished? The most polished QB in this draft won't be sitting on the bench to start the season, which is what JJ will be doing. He is going to be a project.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tier 2

Jayden Daniels, LSU

Most frequent scout/exec comp: No clear consensus…

Other comps included Russell Wilson and Bryce Young

"Love the total package, and his legs will buy him time to create and make plays, but from a condensed pocket, in those 'gotta have it' situations, he can struggle when the pocket isn't clean," an AFC scout said.

It always drives me crazy reading these “team personnel” pieces, just because you’ll see a lot of seemingly on-point stuff — followed by something so off the wall that you can only wonder if they’re lying or just don’t know what they’re talking about. 

I picked out one of the threads in the Daniels section that bothers me. Some NFL team executives apparently compared him to Russell Wilson and Bryce Young. What are the two traits Wilson and Young share? Well, (1) they’re both short and (2) their superpower is scrambling to create big pass plays. 

Jayden Daniels is tall and he almost never scrambles to create pass plays. Once he bails, he’s gone. He runs to run, he doesn’t run to buy time to throw. He’s like RG3 or Vick or early Lamar in that respect. He couldn’t be less like Russell Wilson or Bryce Young, except that Bryce is also painfully skinny. These are awful comps.

But comps are hard, and in fairness, I don’t have a great comp for Jayden either. However, you keep moving on through the piece, and you get to the AFC scout talking about how his legs will “buy him time” to create and make plays. Which seems to suggest this is a genuine narrative that exists for some evaluators around this player. 

Maybe it’s just lazy word choice or falling back on scouting cliches. But these are the kind of things that matter. If Jayden had demonstrated the ability to consistently bail, buy time, and keep searching for plays down the field, he’d be a different and better prospect. The only thing you really see Jayden’s legs “create” is big runs with the ball still in his hand. Thinking, even in passing, that him being “mobile” means you’re drafting the Wilson/Mahomes ability to elude the rush and escape to a new platform behind the LOS to launch a bomb downfield — that’s how teams end up getting disappointed by the player they actually get.

• Like 5