Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As you get older you tend to gain weight and shrink a little 

6 foot 1, between 214 and 217 that’s probably the minimum height weight but definitely acceptable. Looks muscled up also, good weight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Most of the clips in this vid are from the "behind the QB" perspective. I have not seen this angle on a lot of these plays.

Hits a lil' different.

That was an awesome video. Thanks. That should be a standard every throw of the game replay angle. Also, that deep ball touch. Crazy. I think I want Maye, but if we take Daniels, I'd also be very excited. 

I want that highlight video, from the same angle, for Maye and Williams. 

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but...

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

In a good way or bad? Not able to watch right now

Its cool and interesting. You get to see what the QB sees.

Might help you get into their head and see why they make a given choice. Since JD has a lot of runs it shows the field situation when he decides to pull it. Some of those are just crazy amounts of green grass.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but...

Thanks for the clip!  Not super impressed to be honest, he looked a little too relaxed, versus focused, and a lot of those throws seemed to reflect that - soft/slow, behind/off a little, some wobblers. Looked like a guy who doesn't think he needs to be out there doing the drills... like somebody already told him he's going to Bears. Meh.

I'm sure we'll see more energy at both the UNC and LSU pro days.

• Thumb down 1

9 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

So if Covid hadn’t happened, Chase might have been off the board and we might have drafted Herbert who one of the Marty’s liked. 

So neither of the Marty’s were here when Chase was drafted.  So if they liked him, Martin I think was still with SF and Hurney, I think he was unemployed.  

The Marties weren’t hired until 2021.  Kyle Smith ostensibly ran the draft.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its cool and interesting. You get to see what the QB sees.

Might help you get into their head and see why they make a given choice. Since JD has a lot of runs it shows the field situation when he decides to pull it. Some of those are just crazy amounts of green grass.

I pointed this out in my breakdown, I think the offense was, at times, designed without an escape valve receiver with the extent that Daniels was the checkdown.  So they ran deeper route combinations with the idea if they were covered he could just run.

That works in college.

That definitely does not work in the NFl.  Or Lamar would have 1500 rushing yards per season.  

Dual threat QBs put defenses in a bind to an extent, but defensive coordinators won’t let there be a ton of space like that regularly.  They’ll blitz the hell out of you and force you to run into the blitz if you’re just going to run long developing plays.  

It’s what makes Lamar and Hurts so special.  They can beat you from the pocket or their legs. So you have to play them more straight than you would prefer to.  

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So neither of the Marty’s were here when Chase was drafted.  So if they liked him, Martin I think was still with SF and Hurney, I think he was unemployed.  

The Marties weren’t hired until 2021.  Kyle Smith ostensibly ran the draft.  

Hurney was the GM in Carolina when Chase Young was drafted.

Conspiracy theory of mine. Dan Snyder's pet project with his son's old schoolmate (Dwayne Haskins), has me convinced that Snyder said no to drafting any of the QB's except for the new national champ, Joe Burrow (which would have sold oodles of new season tickets). Snyder was convinced he knew best and struck gold. After Gruden/Allen were fired, all of the stories about the 2019 draft process came out and it was owner meddling all the way through.

So no QB's (cause of Snyder). The best prospect besides Chase Young would probably have been Andrew Thomas and the fallout with Trent Williams in 2019 opens this selection up. Derrick Brown would have been an option if we had not just drafted Allen and Payne. Maybe Jeffrey Okudah, but I feel like him being taken at #3 was still a bit of a surprise?

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yup that's all true.

Gotta be a good passer for the run stuff to really matter.

Its encouraging that JD excelled as a passer against pressure. Hopefully he can do that in the NFL too.

Edited by FootballZombie

Well AZ are shopping #4 so it may well be 4 QBs in a row at the top.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wednesday LSU next week

Thursday NC

This is going to be fun.  Though at times its contentious with the Drake-Daniels stuff.  While I favor Drake -- I am jacked up for either one. 

I’m fairly intrigued by the JJ McCarthy chatter too, his pro-day could be really interesting. He’s going to convince some GMs he’s the next Joe Burrow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Well AZ are shopping #4 so it may well be 4 QBs in a row at the top.

I’m fairly intrigued by the JJ McCarthy chatter too, his pro-day could be really interesting. He’s going to convince some GMs he’s the next Joe Burrow. 

Yeah that's tomorrow.

I am partial in different ways to all three.

McCarthy -- first QB I touted on the draft thread, did it very early this college season.  Best thrower on the move outside of Caleb in the class IMO with underrated wheels.  Only 21, best is yet to come.

Daniels -- I touted him months ago during the college season before it took off to become a bit mania here on this thread where I felt I needed to pull in the breaks a little.  :ols:   But I am jazzed about him as a prospect.  And he'd be an exciting choice.  I've been one of the people over the years on the Qb thread who love QBs with wheels. And that dude has some serious wheels.

Maye -- he would be my choice at #2.  I do think the Herbert comps are apt.  Was working with nothing.  Chase Daniels did a good breakdown of that which I watched this morning.  But when you gave him a little time he was lethal as he pointed out.  Only 21, best is yet to come.

I'd rank them

1.  Maye.   a 1/4 peg over

2. Daniels   a full peg over

3. McCarthy

So if its McCarthy I'd be a little dissappointed. But I like him so I'd be cool with it.  I don't expect it though to happen.    As for Maye and Daniels I wouldn't be surpised either way, I get the vibe that its 50-50.  I gather the pro days-visits ultimately tip the balance or is one QB much more suited to this offense?

But I can deal with all three.  I'd be excited about Maye or Daniels.  Not excited about McCarthy in the same way but not upset either.  If we were picking 4, I'd love McCarthy but i am more intrigued by Maye and Daniels over him.  The only thing they can do to make me upset is to skip all 4 but I don't expect that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I think McCarthy is going to be really, really good. We’ll see. His college play doesn’t necessarily support that. Michigan didn’t ask him to do much and he didn’t get to showcase his talents as much as we’d have liked to have seen.

But if he comes in and gets to sit for a bit I think his potential is through the roof.

The others guys are better in specific categories but I don’t see any one that I view as well rounded as McCarthy.

Can’t wait to see where he ends up.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we were picking 4, I'd love McCarthy but i am more intrigued by Maye and Daniels over him.  The only thing they can do to make me upset is to skip all 4 but I don't expect that. 

Agree, McCarthy at #4 would be interesting.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think McCarthy is going to be really, really good. We’ll see. His college play doesn’t necessarily support that. Michigan didn’t ask him to do much and he didn’t get to showcase his talents as much as we’d have liked to have seen.

But if he comes in and gets to sit for a bit I think his potential is through the roof.

The others guys are better in specific categories but I don’t see any one that I view as well rounded as McCarthy.

Can’t wait to see where he ends up.

He's the bigger mystery of the three QBs because of course the burden was almost never on him to win the game.   He had a lot of play action, extra blockers, good defense -- to help him part the seas.

So he's almost the reverse of Maye who had everything on his plate with so little help.

But he was good when he needed to make plays.  And his ability to make plays on the move stylstically reminds me a lot of Tannehill in college.    I know Tannehill now is considered "meh".  But he had a good run.  I think his floor is probably somewhere around Tannehill.  He might have the highest floor of the three.

I like Maye better because of his arm talent.  I like Daniels better because of his wheels.  I wouldn't be upset if its McCarthy just not as excited.  Right now, i am betting and I'd bet big they go Maye or Daniels.  For me to think McCarthy I need Keim or someone to hint serious interest.  Maybe that's coming.  But right now it feels like 90% chance or more its Maye or Daniels.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree, McCarthy at #4 would be interesting.

I don't see how this team gets to #4.  Not that I want them to do that.  The Cards from what's been said if anything want to trade down not up.  So it would have to be a team trading first to #4 then trade up again to #2.  But if they are trading up to #4 how much capital would they have left to trade up again?

I know it might feel boring to just do what Breer and others have said they expect them to do which is stay at #2 and take Maye or Daniels.  But that's what I both expect and want.  But will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Most of the clips in this vid are from the "behind the QB" perspective. I have not seen this angle on a lot of these plays.

Looks like a hype video put together for Patriots fans by their local cable affiliate.  It's got a higher production value than a typical YouTube highlight video.

The video helps demonstrate how good his deep ball to the sidelines is, and how fast he is when he breaks the pocket.  But it also shows you how garbage those SEC defenses really were, and how bad his vision and decision making as a runner are.  That instinct of his to cut the ball back upfield late is going to keep him on the sidelines in the NFL.  And that is the best and most explosive WR trio in the country.  It's ridiculous how many big plays they hit where one of those three is running open deep, and he's either got a clean pocket.

There just isn't very much creativity as a passer in Jayden's highlights or his film as a whole.  Most of the creativity he demonstrated was as a runner.  His stock has been boosted by hitting a ton of big plays this season that don't really translate to the NFL.  QB draws into the middle of the field, scrambles into the middle of the field after he's climbed the ladder, chunk runs where he's made the edge defender miss by cutting the ball back towards the middle of the field, deep posts where there is no safety and his receiver has multiple steps on the DB, fades and go balls where his receivers won leverage off the line of scrimmage and have multiple steps on the corner early.  He hits these for TDs and 30 yard runs and they just aren't going to be there in the NFL.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's the bigger mystery of the three QBs

I think as time passes he might actually become the cleaner option of the three. 

There isn’t any real clarity on either Daniels or Maye. Opinion appears completely divided.

I’m not sure it is with JJ, not to the same extent. If he convinces people he’s an absolute dog of a baller, his solid rounded skill set will become very appealing for a team to build upon.

Its’s where that become a viable/value pick. For those that want ‘safe’, shouldn’t he be viewed a safer pick at #2 rather than both Daniels and Maye ? 

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Looks like a hype video put together for Patriots fans by their local cable affiliate.  It's got a higher production value than a typical YouTube highlight video.

The video helps demonstrate how good his deep ball to the sidelines is, and how fast he is when he breaks the pocket.  But it also shows you how garbage those SEC defenses really were, and how bad his vision and decision making as a runner are.  That instinct of his to cut the ball back upfield late is going to keep him on the sidelines in the NFL.  And that is the best and most explosive WR trio in the country.  It's ridiculous how many big plays they hit where one of those three is running open deep, and he's either got a clean pocket.

There just isn't very much creativity as a passer in Jayden's highlights or his film as a whole.  Most of the creativity he demonstrated was as a runner.  His stock has been boosted by hitting a ton of big plays this season that don't really translate to the NFL.  QB draws into the middle of the field, scrambles into the middle of the field after he's climbed the ladder, chunk runs where he's made the edge defender miss by cutting the ball back towards the middle of the field, deep posts where there is no safety and his receiver has multiple steps on the DB, fades and go balls where his receivers won leverage off the line of scrimmage and have multiple steps on the corner early.  He hits these for TDs and 30 yard runs and they just aren't going to be there in the NFL.

Im at the point that if we don't take Maye I would rather take McCarthy over Daniels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Im at the point that if we don't take Maye I would rather take McCarthy over Daniels.

I'm not high on Daniels at all. I don't see much separating him from Malik Willis a couple years ago, except Willis team looked more like Mayes than Daniels and he has a build to last. 

I'll be shocked if a 17/17 season for Daniels.