Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Oh no there's a picture of them hugging.

People gon' be acting up again 😕

Well we had to endure him hugging Keenan Allen 2 pages back….or does that not count :ols:

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why should Caleb care about Allen?

:ols: You’re really going full on aren’t you :rofl89:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Oh no there's a picture of them hugging.

People gon' be acting up again 😕

Well to be fair, a hug is much more intimate than a handshake. And I do believe that this is pretty substantial evidence that Adam wants to give multiple first rounders to get the first pick and take Caleb. What else could the hug have possibly meant? Just sayin 🤷

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

“Specifically” washington?

I don't know if the OP put that twist on there himself but it's very peculiar wording. Would like to know where that came from. 

19 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Interesting article today from Galko at CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-draft-inside-jayden-daniels-historic-improvement-and-why-teams-are-confident-hell-hit-his-ceiling/

2024 NFL Draft: Inside Jayden Daniels' historic improvement and why teams are confident he'll hit his ceiling

Burrow and Daniels are the only two quarterbacks in the last 20 years (minimum 400 drop backs) that increased their adjusted completion percentage by 4% or more AND their yards per attempt by 3.0 or more. And beyond just those two metrics, Daniels also improved in his accuracy downfield, ball placement across the field, decision-making in the red zone and decision-making as a runner.

10+ YARD COMPLETION % ON-TARGET % YARDS PER ATTEMPT RED ZONE TD % SCRAMBLES RUSH YARDS BEFORE CONTACT

It’s a good article. 

Despite my reservations about Jayden there is zero question as far as work ethic, coachability, desire, etc.

I’m rooting for him to succeed and I’ll quickly jump on board if GMAP and the front office decide they want to build the offense around Jayden (probably more similar to Eagles) than air raid.

I just think Drake Maye’s game translates better.

We will see.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why should Caleb care about Allen?

As ruses go this is an Academy award winning performance by all parties involved.

A true work of art.

I mean,  we all know what the real deal is (:wink,nod,wink:), but if I didn't know better, given everything I've seen,  I'd swear the Bears were actually going to draft Caleb Williams!

Ha, ha, ha! 

What an outstanding, well coordinated, absolutely flawless job they're doing of pulling the wool over the ignorant public's eyes. 

My compliments to all involved.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Everything is going according to plan.

My QB rankings

1. Maye

2. Williams

3. That’s it. I want nothing to do with any of the other QBs. All are busts.

You like Maye better than Williams? 

Interesting...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

As ruses go this is an Academy award winning performance by all parties involved.

A true work of art.

I mean,  we all know what the real deal is (:wink,nod,wink:), but if I didn't know better, given everything I've seen,  I'd swear the Bears were actually going to draft Caleb Williams!

Ha, ha, ha! 

What an outstanding, well coordinated, absolutely flawless job they're doing of pulling the wool over the ignorant public's eyes. 

My compliments to all involved.

Next Caleb will say "us" as part of this...

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Breer almost as plugged in as Schefter so I take his stuff seriously, the Belichick report was a rare miss from him.

Some NFL draft, some free agency in this week’s mailbag. Let’s dive in on all of it …

From Jason Weeks (@jasontweeks): Greater likelihood … Vikings trade to 3 for Maye or 4 for JJ?

Jason, I’d say the Minnesota Vikings move to No. 4 for J.J. McCarthy, but that’s not to say they prefer the Michigan quarterback (though they might, I don’t know one way or the other). It’s because of what it sure seems like is going to happen within the top three. And at this point, my information, and we reported this in my Kirk Cousins story Monday, is that teams that have tried to trade into that range have been met with polite no’s from the Chicago Bears, Washington Commanders and New England Patriots.

That doesn’t mean that can’t change. It’s possible we get closer to the draft, and the Patriots decide they like one of the non–Caleb Williams quarterbacks. If that guy isn’t there, and they don’t see the others being worth a third pick, they could be willing to move the pick while they’re on the clock. But for right now, it seems less likely that a trade into the top three will be there for the Vikings, which presumably would mean no Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels for Minnesota, with at least the perception those two are going Nos. 2 and 3, in some order.

Now, do I think Maye might be Minnesota’s preference? Sure. Maye was coached by Vikings quarterbacks coach Josh McCown for a stretch in high school, and was teammates with McCown’s son. There’s a lot to like there. But whether they like him or Daniels or McCarthy, if they can’t get into the top three, then, naturally, the Vikings will have to be comfortable with all four of the top QBs to warrant moving up to the fourth or fifth pick (to position themselves in front of the New York Giants at No. 6 and go get one).

From ThatNerdBrett (@GamingGibbsbets): Who would you rather build a franchise around, Bo Nix or Drake Maye?

Brett, I think, just based on what I know (and, again, I’m not a scout), Maye’s the easy answer on this one.

He’s bigger and has a stronger arm than Nix, and is just as athletic. The easy way to explain it, through what I’ve heard, is that there is a ton of growth potential for Maye. With Nix, two years older and with five years of starting experience, you’re a lot closer to maxing out what he is. In other words, Nix is a really good player, and has done great meeting teams (as he was expected to), but he is still viewed by some to be so limited he may just be an NFL backup.

Obviously, those assessments could be wrong. But for now, that’d be what I see as the prevailing wisdom on these two players—and why I’d view the two of them as very, very different prospects from one another.

From Anthony Amico (@amicsta): We have heard a lot about the top 4 QBs in this class, but what's the latest buzz on Bo Nix and Michael Penix? How likely are they to be selected on Day 1?

Anthony, my feeling now is Nix won’t be. And Michael Penix Jr. is iffy. Maybe it’s just who I was talking to, but I had too many people at the combine refer to Nix as an NFL backup to ignore it. Meanwhile, with Penix, the medicals will obviously be a big part of the equation. One team exec I talked to about the Washington quarterback said his doctor’s grade on Penix “wasn’t awful,” but there was still plenty to work through. And while Penix helped himself, for sure, last year, I still don’t think teams are as high on him as the public thinks.

April 25 might be a long day for both of them.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/20/mailbag-vikings-trade-draft-mccarthy-quarterbacks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

LOS ANGELES — Roughly 48 hours after trading Justin Fields and eliminating any lingering doubt as to their intentions to begin anew at quarterback, the Chicago Bears brass was out to dinner with Caleb Williams.

The USC quarterback has been the presumptive top pick for a long time. Maybe since collecting the Heisman Trophy at the end of his sophomore season in 2022. Definitely since the end of last spring’s draft.

Thanks to some good fortune and a calculated move to trade the No. 1 pick in 2023, the Bears find themselves in  position to have their pick of quarterbacks in a draft that could see five or even six selected in the first round.

They arrived in California feeling good about Williams the player and eager to learn more about the person. After spending parts of three days together, it’s safe to say the Bears have made a large step toward making Williams the No. 1 pick on April 25.

...On Tuesday, the team spent nearly half the day on campus with Williams at the football facility: talking ball, doing work on the whiteboard and watching film. Williams’ attention to detail struck the Bears. He was the one taking notes — not team officials — as they studied the game and sought insight into Williams’ acumen and how he processes and learns.

“It was great,” Williams said of the extended time with the Bears after only a quick 20-minute interview at the scouting combine last month. “Just building a relationship. They’re trying to see if I’m the right fit to be the first pick as a quarterback and possibly the face of the franchise. They’re trying to figure out if this is the guy they should invest all the time, energy and effort and money into, which is obviously important. It was great.”

Suffice to say the Bears also thought it went well.

The focus shifted to pro day Wednesday morning, and the Bears had nine representatives — 10 if you count new wide receiver Keenan Allen, who showed up to support Williams. General manager Ryan Poles, coach Matt Eberflus, assistant GM Ian Cunningham, offensive coordinator Shane Waldron, passing game coordinator Thomas Brown, quarterbacks coach Kerry Joseph, national scout Francis Saint Paul, area scout Reese Hicks and offensive assistant Robbie Picazo were present.

Poles and Eberflus stood about 20 yards directly behind Williams during a showing of about 50 throws on scripted plays. A lot of quarterbacks would look nifty in this setting, throwing “on air” with no defenders. But the ball comes out of Williams’ hand so smoothly, it’s just a flick of the wrist on some passes. Footwork is always being drilled, but he’s clean and sound mechanically.

“I think it went well,” Williams said. “I missed a few throws deep.”

It was another step in the process for Poles and his staff as they do more than check boxes, really diving into every nuanced angle of a decision that — if they are correct — could be transformative for the franchise. They’re not there yet, but this surely moved them closer to turning in Williams’ name when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell puts the Bears on the clock.

There is remaining business. The team needs to host Williams on a top-30 visit to Halas Hall and put him through a medical examination. They don’t expect any surprises — the only injury issue he had in college was a minor hamstring injury. That visit probably won’t happen until the first or second week of April.

It’s an exciting time inside Halas Hall. There’s a strong belief the team has made meaningful improvement in a lot of areas of the roster, laying a foundation for success. The missing piece, and it’s maybe the oldest sports story in Chicago, is the quarterback.

...Some questions remain — all fair — and some can’t be answered until Williams is put into pressure situations as a professional. Will he thrive or wilt? You can only guess right now.

Williams is a higher-profile prospect than Patrick Mahomes was when coming out of Texas Tech in 2017. He’s cleaner mechanically and wasn’t as prone to head-scratching decisions. Remember, there were lots of questions about the viability of an Air Raid quarterback making it in the NFL.

“It’s almost like he’s where Mahomes was after two years in the league,” a national scout said in the fall.

Of course, drawing comparisons from Mahomes to any prospect is dangerous and largely unfair to both parties.

The Bears can’t have a lot of questions remaining. They set out to get answers to most of them when they planned activities with Williams over the last three days. They leave — with the next stop Friday’s Michigan pro day in Ann Arbor — feeling better about Williams than when they arrived.

And he leaves knowing he’s probably one step closer to achieving his goal of being the top pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Project... House w/ good bones... same diff.

About what I came away with from my evaluation of the guy.

When are LSUs and NCs ProDays?

Wednesday LSU next week

Thursday NC

This is going to be fun.  Though at times its contentious with the Drake-Daniels stuff.  While I favor Drake -- I am jacked up for either one.