Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Anyone have any opinions on Ken Benkert?  I like how he breaks down what both sides of the ball seem to be doing here, which I assume stems from his experience in college and then (holding a clipboard) in the NFL.  He's very high on Daniels.

I wonder what it would cost to get him to do breakdowns like this for every game of the season for both Daniels and Maye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, ananoman said:

You had a new coach in Rivera coming in inheriting a qb drafted in the first round coming off his rookie year in Haskins, who was hand picked by the owner himself.  There was no way Rivera was even going to be able to consider drafting another qb with the second overall pick.  Rivera’s tenure here was doomed from the start.

I wasn't even talking about the idiocy going on with the team. I was talking about how the fans can't be consistent on what should be done with the #2 overall pick. This year most of them are saying "Of course you always use that high a pick on a QB when you don't have one" when just 4 years ago almost all of these same posters were saying "It's Chase Young or bust!"

It's just pretty funny.

:rofl89:

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am still making up my mind about Trice.  I know i'd do it for Robinson or Braswell.  

I like Trice better than Robinson and Braswell.  I've got him as edge 4 and he's going to be ranked in the late teens to early 20s for me.

He beat up Jordan Morgan.  He's got a length and power and agility combo that is really good.  Kind of feels like he's better and more productive than Tyree Wilson was last year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Roughly, every future year.  pick is worth one round less than current year. 

There is no way I’d give up 2 2nds and a third this year.  I’d prefer to give up a second this year, first next year than 2 seconds this year. 

I don't really subscribe to that model anymore, not with the rookie pay scales and 5th year options increasing the value of 1st rounders by lessening the pain of drafting one.  It's wild to look at what some dudes were getting out of the starting gate pre-rookie pay scale, and it makes sense in that situation that first rounders in the future might be equal to 2nd rounders in the present because in addition to getting a player at that time you get a lower cap hit.

Nowadays with much cheaper first round contracts, it's all about hitting on your picks and the earlier the better.  2nd rounders aren't terrible in terms of hit odds too, but you're just gonna land more starters with more firsts.  I don't think the having to wait a year aspect is that bad, indeed, it can help spread out future cap hits a bit too.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like Trice better than Robinson and Braswell.  I've got him as edge 4 and he's going to be ranked in the late teens to early 20s for me.

He beat up Jordan Morgan.  He's got a length and power and agility combo that is really good.  Kind of feels like he's better and more productive than Tyree Wilson was last year.

Trice has gotten underrated and has become a forgotten name in EDGE discussions. He clearly is a high effort Phillip Daniels type of defensive end. I think he is a higher floor lower ceiling type of Day 1 starter at the position, which I'm not quite sure is worth it with a 2nd round pick, at least the very first 2nd. 

Edited by method man

7 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If you were Adam Peters and you were convinced of the following:

1. Caleb Williams is the best qb in this draft, by a significant margin.

2. He has a chance to one day become a top 5 franchise qb, but (like all draft picks) he could also turn into a complete bust.

Would you agree to the the trade below?

Accepting this offer would essentially mean we've got a one player draft this year plus whatever players we pick up in free agency.

What I like about this scenario is that we would keep our 1st round pick next year. All the other hypotheticals I've seen have us trading that pick.

Holding onto the 2025 first round selection  protects us from a Carolina Panthers type of collapse during Caleb's first season as a starter.

I would take it.  In theory it looks like we’re giving up a lot but anything that lets us keep not only our first rounder but also our second rounder in 2025 is a huge win, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If you were Adam Peters and you were convinced of the following:

1. Caleb Williams is the best qb in this draft, by a significant margin.

2. He has a chance to one day become a top 5 franchise qb, but (like all draft picks) he could also turn into a complete bust.

Would you agree to the the trade below?

Accepting this offer would essentially mean we've got a one player draft this year plus whatever players we pick up in free agency.

What I like about this scenario is that we would keep our 1st round pick next year. All the other hypotheticals I've seen have us trading that pick.

Holding onto the 2025 first round selection  protects us from a Carolina Panthers type of collapse during Caleb's first season as a starter.

Thumbs up if you would do the trade and thumbs down if you wouldn't. 

No I wouldn't. Let's assume that point number one is true, how about the red flags (diva attitude) he displayed ? These character issues can easily derail a QB career from Boom to Bust, I wouldn't take that risk. The compensation is wrong imo, since the Bears are looking for a king's ransom that would likely involve multiple 1sts, hence not based on a points referencial.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PigskinPhat said:

anybody seen a video of him sliding at all?

They can be hard to find, but we have seen a bunch in the various vids posted on here... especially the long format ones.

When he does do it you can usually see the gears turning in his head as he preps for it w/ chop steps a lot of the time.

His form isn't super consistent either.

He is way farther along then RG3 was in that department (who has some of the worst slide attempts you'll ever see) but it does not look natural nor uber consistent for JD yet so I don't think he is as comfortable w/ the mechanics of sliding as he needs to be. He has a lot of work to do in that department in my book, and if he can get that absolute faith and confidence in his sliding ability, it will help him a metric ton at the next level. He'd be less afraid to pull it outta the bag. We have seen on our team over the years that an inability to slide greatly decreases the desire to slide w/ Campbell and RG3.

If you want to see one for yourself and not dig thru the monstrosity sized breakdowns on the guy, one of his better ones is at the 1:15 mark of this vid.

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I only watched the Oregon game so far.  His motor actually remind me some of Braswell in that one game. He's a handful. Active hands. Bigger dude though than Braswell.  Braswell had more sacks, Trice more hurries

9 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

And the year before, and the year before that, and the year after that '20 class. The way we managed to thread the needle of avoiding every quality class and diving deep into the only two ----- classes between '17 and '23 remains absolutely astonishing to me. Now add to that the cherry on top of turning Cousins trade value into zero, mmmm, chef's kiss of incompetency.

Incompetece and bad karma IMO with Dan at the helm.

That's part of the reason why I flip out when I see people say pass on a QB, or lets punt this till next year when its likely a bad Qb class. 😢

It's one heck of a rare stroke of luck to be where we are at.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The 2019 LSU offense and 2023 offense were super similar so this makes sense - spread, pro style RPO,  two star receivers on the outside (Jefferson/Chase, Nabers/Thomas), neither really used TEs much in the passing game (2023 maybe would have if Taylor wasn'r hurt). Only difference really was, while Burrow was mobile he wasn't Daniels, so much of their rushing yards came from Clyde Edwards Helaire. 

20240220_220501.thumb.jpg.f90db90696bf1d00e32265e2d8ddc8b6.jpg

Its actually slightly nuts lol! 

Yeah, they had eerily similar seasons statistically. I guess I’d be more comfortable with Daniels’ lack of MOF production if he was a proven elite processor like Burrow. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, they had eerily similar seasons statistically. I guess I’d be more comfortable with Daniels’ lack of MOF production if he was a proven elite processor like Burrow. 

That and the National Championship for Burrow.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Only way I'm trading out of two, is if it's something like swapping with the chargers or Bengals and we get their current starting QB and their 1Rst.

And even then I probably wouldn't.

I'd need every pick a team has for the next two years MINIMUM just to answer the phone.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd need every pick a team has for the next two years MINIMUM just to answer the phone.

And a top 5 starting QB. 

Like sure, I'd swap 2&5 with the Chargers, if they included Herbert and some other picks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Only way I'm trading out of two, is if it's something like swapping with the chargers or Bengals and we get their current starting QB and their 1Rst.

And even then I probably wouldn't.

But PFF said we'd trade to 12 and then back up to 10 and take JJ McCarthy!

/s

/laughingthroughthecrying

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Burrow's LSU had a signifcantly better defense. Unfortunately last season LSU's defense was ranked #103 😩

LSU, is always up there top 5/10 mostly in HS recruiting with Bama,OHST, Texas, Georgia Lately, Then LSU, Mich, Penn ST. Florida, FL. ST. Clemson...and a few others every year.  They have talent and it's hard to figure out why they are as bad as you say?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

LSU, is always up there top 5/10 mostly in HS recruiting with Bama,OHST, Texas, Georgia Lately, Then LSU, Mich, Penn ST. Florida, FL. ST. Clemson...and a few others every year.  They have talent and it's hard to figure out why they are as bad as you say?  

I think Brian Kelly focused so much on the offense that he neglected the defense a bit. They were atrocious though. They fired the defensive coordinator and the entire defensive staff (and I was wrong, it was ranked 105, not 103 😩)

• Thumb up 2

Just gonna post the Maye quotes I found interesting.  There are some good Daniels quotes in the article too though for those who want to read it. 

“Skill set-wise, everybody knows,” North Carolina wide receiver Tez Walker said of Maye following a Senior Bowl practice. “They’ve seen the tape. But who he is as a person and a leader. Seeing him walk into a room and how everyone gravitates toward him. He’s just a natural-born leader.”

Longo, not about to play favorites with his pupils, offered a different comparison for the “ultra, ultra-competitive” Maye. One more associated with the electric Williams.

“Let me be clear: I’m not saying that (Maye is) Patrick Mahomes. I’m just saying that he does some similar things,” said Longo, referencing the three-time Super Bowl champion. “He can throw off-platform, extend plays with his legs. He can move laterally or vertically towards the line of scrimmage and make throws, contort his body, throw off balance and be accurate doing it. That gives him an opportunity to be a little creative.”

“(Maye) is another elite quarterback,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said last season. “This guy’s gonna play football for a long time. … He makes the popcorn taste better. Everything’s better when you got a dude like that.”

“You would think they’re all competitive, right?” Longo exclaimed. “But I mean, this guy is obsessed with the game. He’s a junkie. He loves the X’s and O’s. He likes the process of preparing for an opponent.”

Walker caught passes at the Senior Bowl from two other potential first-round picks, Oregon’s Bo Nix and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. The Kent State transfer’s one season with Maye, a career 65 percent completion passer, helped his chances for such an opportunity. Squaring off as North Carolina high school foes is when Walker first understood the talents possessed by his future teammate.

“Even as a freshman, he was the best on his team,” Walker recalled. “He’ll take over a game by himself. He’s the ultimate competitor. That leadership role, he was born for it.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The 2019 LSU offense and 2023 offense were super similar so this makes sense - spread, pro style RPO,  two star receivers on the outside (Jefferson/Chase, Nabers/Thomas), neither really used TEs much in the passing game (2023 maybe would have if Taylor wasn'r hurt). Only difference really was, while Burrow was mobile he wasn't Daniels, so much of their rushing yards came from Clyde Edwards Helaire. 

20240220_220501.thumb.jpg.f90db90696bf1d00e32265e2d8ddc8b6.jpg

Its actually slightly nuts lol! 

2019 is the best college offense I’ve ever seen. People forget about how much of a stud Terrace Marshall was as the 3rd WR. Burrow did utilize the TE Moss a good bit in clutch situations as well. It was just a well oiled machine. Just an absolute cheat code of an offense. Terrace was injured for a few games but still put up these numbers that season in 12 games:

12  games 46 catch’s 671  yards 13 TDS

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

This is an interesting tweet...is this correct?

Thank you! Been trying to find that tweet for the longest time. 

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just gonna post the Maye quotes I found interesting.  There are some good Daniels quotes in the article too though for those who want to read it. 

I really think Jayden is going to wow at the combine and I remember someone saying RG3 was faster. I don’t think that’s true. I expect Jayden to run a sub 4.4 at the combine and wow scouts with his interviews as well. 

not getting into anymore online arguments here :lol: just want what’s best for Washington and hope it’s Maye or Daniels.

I do have a futures on JD to go number 1 though. 

• Haha 2