Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

And with Darnold, and with Sanchez, you keep trying until you get him. Simple as that. You saw how important the QB position was exemplified in them. They went from Rodgers, to Wilson and other detritus, and their double digit win team turned straight to swamp --- trash w/the downgrade at QB. Elite WRs: Check, Elite RB's? Check adequate OL etc? Check Elite Defense: Check? Crap QB: Check, and they sucked. It was a perfect illustration of how utterly pointless it is to try opposing team building strategies. If a QB alone can be responsible for turning an AFC contender into straight trash, that tells you all you need to know. Keep trying to get the QB until you get him. Period. 

And Rogers out for the season made it a couple plays. disagree on OL adequate and think it is no better than ours. agree with everything else, Blue Chippers crapped on them over the years. Went with the Vet this year for 35mil that worked out great. Like I said we need Luck, they have had none. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

He isnt going to be worth more next year when he is heading into the last year of his contract. Not gonna happen. 

I guess you are bringing in a Vet$$ to hold the blue chippers hand. If so, makes no sense at all we have a young Vet coach for that.  Having Howell on a rookie contract for 2 years+ is the play for me? Also Howell does not have to be worth more next year, but it's possible?   Or you have 2 rookies and a practice squad QB on the team at QB that would eat a draft pick up unless he is a RFA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

2019 was the year to draft defense, we reached for Haskins.

2020 was the year to draft offense, we took Young.

😭

We did not reach for Haskins, (they missed) not hard to do it appears, look at the Jets for reference. Hindsight says they should have went to the well again? Reality they did not.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

DJ has Bowers going 18 to Cincy. I hope if him falling starts to happen in real life we seriously consider trading both second rounders to get up into the middle of the first round to draft him.

Yeah I've seen reports of him dropping to the teens also but I don't see it happening. I don't think he gets past the Chargers at 5. 

18 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

We did not reach for Haskins, (they missed) not hard to do it appears, look at the Jets for reference. Hindsight says they should have went to the well again? Reality they did not.

Agree, easy to miss on QB, and I must admit that with hindsight it seems like, wherever they took Haskins (RIP, way too soon), it was a reach lol.

But I also remember the buzz about Snydely's infatuation, reflected in mocks like this one from Walter who (among numerous others) accurately predicted we'd take Haskins:

"Haskins has a tremendous skill set, but is not a finished product at the moment. Teams don’t have first-round grades on him, so he could fall into the 20s. However, Daniel Snyder reportedly likes him, as his son went to school with Haskins, a local product."

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

It is funny how in 2024 almost everybody is saying the correct thing, DRAFT A QB at #2. While in 2000 we had a QB who was obviously much much WORSE than the one we have now and almost everybody on ES was saying the ONLY CHOICE was to draft Chase Young. When the team had just spent 3 firsts on other DLmen.

In other words, this place is HILARIOUS!!! 

:rofl89:

You had a new coach in Rivera coming in inheriting a qb drafted in the first round coming off his rookie year in Haskins, who was hand picked by the owner himself.  There was no way Rivera was even going to be able to consider drafting another qb with the second overall pick.  Rivera’s tenure here was doomed from the start.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Agree, easy to miss on QB, and I must admit that with hindsight it seems like, wherever they took Haskins (RIP, way too soon), it was a reach lol.

But I also remember the buzz about Snydely's infatuation, reflected in mocks like this one from Walter who (among numerous others) accurately predicted we'd take Haskins:

"Haskins has a tremendous skill set, but is not a finished product at the moment. Teams don’t have first-round grades on him, so he could fall into the 20s. However, Daniel Snyder reportedly likes him, as his son went to school with Haskins, a local product."

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

Did we pick him at like 16? Seems like most of the picks recently by Ron and company were reaches.

Wild thing I checked on

Sam Howell DoB - September 16, 2000

Jaydon Daniels - Dec. 18, 2000

Michael Penix Jr - May 8, 2000

Bo Nix - Feb. 25, 2000

This isn't to say those 3 are old, it's to say Howell is young.

This is another reason I keep Howell and don't move him.  Life is weird.  Strange things happen.  Maybe Maye gets injured running, or Daniels turns out to not be Justin Herbert 2.0.  And maybe, just maybe, Howell, young whippersnapper he is, with people who give him a little love and care, suddenly becomes the guy we were hoping he'd become as we watched him in the first 10 weeks of the year.

If one believes in multiverse theory, there is a universe out there where we trade 3 firsts for Caleb Williams, he turns into JaMarcus Russell 2.0, and Howell becomes the next Aaron Rodgers.  We may be in that universe!

Probably not though haha.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

If you were Adam Peters and you were convinced of the following:

1. Caleb Williams is the best qb in this draft, by a significant margin.

2. He has a chance to one day become a top 5 franchise qb, but (like all draft picks) he could also turn into a complete bust.

Would you agree to the the trade below?

Accepting this offer would essentially mean we've got a one player draft this year plus whatever players we pick up in free agency.

What I like about this scenario is that we would keep our 1st round pick next year. All the other hypotheticals I've seen have us trading that pick.

Holding onto the 2025 first round selection  protects us from a Carolina Panthers type of collapse during Caleb's first season as a starter.

Thumbs up if you would do the trade and thumbs down if you wouldn't. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb down 10

You're getting Caleb Williams without giving up any future 1sts!?

The question isn't should we do that trade.

The question is why the hell the Bears would ever do it.

Only way I could ever see Bears entertaining that, as opposed to, say, 3 1sts and a 2nd from someone else farther back, is if somehow there is no market OR they decided MHJr was their dude and they needed to stay ahead of Arizona at all costs.  I just can't see them somehow believing Maye/Daniels is better than Williams, so if you're moving to 2 you're probably keeping Fields, and if you're keeping Fields why not move back farther and get a much larger haul?  If you can get into the 2nd half of the top you can probably still get a top 3 WR.

Edited by DogofWar1

Tom Waddle was on Sirius XM radio today and offered some great insight on the Bears and Fields; said it's virtually a certainty that they move on from Fields and draft Caleb Williams. Waddle covers the Bears and is somewhat of an insider for them from what I gathered. He also suggested that the Bears will trade Fields "sooner than later" because they want to stay ahead of the QB market drying up. If it all plays out like this, we become the #1 phone call teams make to go up and get the QB they want....what kind of crazy offers could we receive? 

Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Minnesota, NYG, NE, TB, Seattle, Denver, New Orleans all could be in the market for a QB.

Would you take three 1sts and a 2nd rounder from Atlanta to drop down to pick 8? Peters had better really like Maye or Daniels to sit tight and take one of them if he passes up any offer similar to this. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

You're getting Caleb Williams without giving up any future 1sts!?

The question isn't should we do that trade.

The question is why the hell the Bears would ever do it.

Roughly, every future year.  pick is worth one round less than current year. 

There is no way I’d give up 2 2nds and a third this year.  I’d prefer to give up a second this year, first next year than 2 seconds this year. 

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Tom Waddle was on Sirius XM radio today and offered some great insight on the Bears and Fields; said it's virtually a certainty that they move on from Fields and draft Caleb Williams. Waddle covers the Bears and is somewhat of an insider for them from what I gathered. He also suggested that the Bears will trade Fields "sooner than later" because they want to stay ahead of the QB market drying up. If it all plays out like this, we become the #1 phone call teams make to go up and get the QB they want....what kind of crazy offers could we receive? 

Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Minnesota, NYG, NE, TB, Seattle, Denver, New Orleans all could be in the market for a QB.

Would you take three 1sts and a 2nd rounder from Atlanta to drop down to pick 8? Peters had better really like Maye or Daniels to sit tight and take one of them if he passes up any offer similar to this. 

It doesn’t matter the crazy offers.  

You don’t pick up the phone unless the crazy offer includes a blue chip QB on a rookie deal.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The only way I’d do it is if the this staff truly believe a lesser tier prospect is actually the best guy for this team. If they honestly feel like JK McCarthy or Bo Nix, etc is the QB to draft you absolutely make the trade down. Otherwise nah

• Thumb up 1

On 2/19/2024 at 2:22 PM, BayouBrave86 said:

Amen! I remember being livid we drafted Haskins. The elite QB crop was the following year. Ugh PTSD.

And the year before, and the year before that, and the year after that '20 class. The way we managed to thread the needle of avoiding every quality class and diving deep into the only two ----- classes between '17 and '23 remains absolutely astonishing to me. Now add to that the cherry on top of turning Cousins trade value into zero, mmmm, chef's kiss of incompetency.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

For the people tired of the tweets/videos... tough luck. 🙂

Was this video to show some really inaccurate throws? I think there were like 2 or 3 hitting a WR in stride but the rest look not so hot. Howell is still more accurate than Maye though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Wild thing I checked on

Sam Howell DoB - September 16, 2000

Jaydon Daniels - Dec. 18, 2000

Michael Penix Jr - May 8, 2000

Bo Nix - Feb. 25, 2000

This isn't to say those 3 are old, it's to say Howell is young.

This is another reason I keep Howell and don't move him.  Life is weird.  Strange things happen.  Maybe Maye gets injured running, or Daniels turns out to not be Justin Herbert 2.0.  And maybe, just maybe, Howell, young whippersnapper he is, with people who give him a little love and care, suddenly becomes the guy we were hoping he'd become as we watched him in the first 10 weeks of the year.

If one believes in multiverse theory, there is a universe out there where we trade 3 firsts for Caleb Williams, he turns into JaMarcus Russell 2.0, and Howell becomes the next Aaron Rodgers.  We may be in that universe!

Probably not though haha.

How is your QB room playing out with two Carolina guys? I want to keep Howell also, but how does that help a rook?

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

No.

So, I guess we just have to hold out hope that he’s the Burrow outlier here?

The 2019 LSU offense and 2023 offense were super similar so this makes sense - spread, pro style RPO,  two star receivers on the outside (Jefferson/Chase, Nabers/Thomas), neither really used TEs much in the passing game (2023 maybe would have if Taylor wasn'r hurt). Only difference really was, while Burrow was mobile he wasn't Daniels, so much of their rushing yards came from Clyde Edwards Helaire. 

20240220_220501.thumb.jpg.f90db90696bf1d00e32265e2d8ddc8b6.jpg

Its actually slightly nuts lol! 

18 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I probably first heard of those signings reading First Down a week after they happened. Might be another flash back for you.

Certainly is! I remember First Down.

Although the internet was a thing by 2003 - I think I was part of a Redskins email group back then. I distinctly remember writing an article for someone on Spurriers offensive system back in 2003. I joined ES in 2005.

• Like 2